'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #6962
ccrat
Dumb as a box of hair

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
...I've ridden thousands of miles on plugged tires. If done right ... pretty safe.
Same here.

ccrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #6963
E-town dirt dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
New 800 XC owner

I've put 1200 km on my Tiger so far. I love it. I took it into the Nordegg Alberta area for some offroading. The stock tires are crap in gravel. Time to put some more aggressive tires on it. I think the Heidenau K60's are looking like a good choice.

E-town dirt dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:22 AM   #6964
woodys3b
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Hey if anyone is not liking the stock seat, we highly recommend the Triumph gel seats. We r riding with them on both bikes and they rock! Triumph got the gel seat right and look no further.
Do the gel seats have a different shape or profile than the stock seat? What about height?

While the stock seat isn't a huge issue for me, there is definitely room for improvement.

Thanks
Andy
woodys3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:14 AM   #6965
ElNorto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
The gel seats come in standard and low height. The shape of the standard height model is the same as the stock seat. The difference is its firmer. I have mine set high in the front and low in the back to get a flatter seat. Still not a lot of room to move back and forth. I can verify what someone said about leaving the bike in the sun. The seat does get hot and retains that heat for many miles.
ElNorto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:48 AM   #6966
GTMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
[QUOTE=E-town dirt dude;16314113]I've put 1200 km on my Tiger so far. I love it. I took it into the Nordegg Alberta area for some offroading. The stock tires are crap in gravel. Time to put some more aggressive tires on it. I think the Heidenau K60's are looking like a good choice.

Nice Pics!!
GTMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:12 AM   #6967
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Oddometer: 480
Slip-ons & Remaps

Will someone explain why the Arrow Slip-on for the 800 Tiger requires (or at least recommends) a re-map and and other brands of slip-ons do not require or recommend a remap?

No fat chicks, fender will scrape.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:42 AM   #6968
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 608
Just a note to let anyone know that Harding's Park Cycle in Canton, Ohio has a Yellow ABS Std. in stock and ready for delivery. If interested send me a PM and I will give you more info. I saved money. I am not connected to Hardings in any way other then I bought my Tiger there.
'12 NC700X/D
Old 07-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #6969
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 236
Thumb Triumph 800XC rips up the TWAT, farkle feedback, gear reviews, GS comparo, and more

Just got back from a 1,515 mile, 4 1/2 day trip from Des Moines, IA to Lake Superior and back riding the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail on my 2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC so thought I'd post some random feedback and musings on the trip. I won't go into a lot of detail on the TWAT ride itself since there are several other ride reports on it other than to say it's a fun trip. We used the "official" TWAT track for the ride from Dubuque, IA to Superior and my buddy pieced together a return route from a couple he'd seen on the web and some roads he just picked off mapsource with a swing through Chippewa Falls to tour the Leinenkugel Brewery. Our return track IMHO was just as good as the route up. Good riding all around. I'm never disappointed when I go riding in WI. The scenery and people are amazing. I'm from Iowa, and while in general, we're a pretty good lot... I think Iowans have overall gotten to be "suspicious". I'm always blown away with how genuine, trusting, and friendly WI people are, especially up north.

I rode with three other guys. Two DRZ400's set up with with DirtBagz type luggage, an '11 BMW F800GS, and my '11 Triumph Tiger 800XC. When I left, the Tiger had about 1000 miles on it. The setup on my 800Xc was TKC80 tires, Arrow exhaust and re-map, Jesse panniers, Triumph bash plate, Triumph crash bars, Triumph centerstand, windscreen removed, Garmin 60CSX on a ram mount.

I'm not a kneedragger on the road or an offroad pro but I get around ok. I'm a mediocre B-level hare scramble racer, a B/C-level motocrosser, have raced the Baja 1000 a couple of times, etc. This was my first off road type ride on an "adventure bike". All my previous dual sporting has been done on an XR650L.

For my gear, I used my Shoei RF-1000 street helmet, a Cortech Accelerator jacket, Klim Dakar pants, Aerostich elkskin roper gloves, bicycle weasel squeezers, MX socks, and an old pair of the 1st gen Icon Superduty boots.

I was excited to see how the 800XC would do on a longer trip and in different off-pavement situations. So far, my relationship with it has been like a new girlfriend... good, but you really can't tell from those first few dates, you need a long weekend where you're together for an extended amount of time and you can really see how she acts around your friends and handles the freaky stuff you like to do.

The southern end of the TWAT suprised me by actually being mostly remote blacktop roads and not gravel, dirt, or sand. As anyone that's ridden the 800 knows, twisty blacktop is nirvana on this bike. Fantastic engine, pick whatever gear you want to ride in and it'll do it, and confidence inspiring handling. Two finger clutching, two finger braking. Great sounds. Really, I can't fault anything about the bike's road manners. Even the TKC80 knobbies stuck like glue and I simply forgot I was railing around on knobby tires.

Off the pavement, I'll say I was overall very happy with what I could ride and how fast I could ride it on the 800XC. I had to work a lot harder than what I would have on my XR-L and maybe not carry quite as much speed, but it handled it all fine. The guys on the DRZ's always waited for me and didn't have to wait too long. The 800XC does have a little of that "streetbike" feel on gravel. Of course, mine was loaded with heavy panniers full of stuff and it would have been interesting to try some of the roads w/o the luggage, but front end bite was generally sketchy on gravel. The wideness of the seat and tank also worked against me a little moving around to get on the side of the bike. You can do it, just more work. It really preferred to get turned using the throttle. Most of the time on the gravel, the sweet spot was 4th/5th gear between 45 and 65mph. To me, she sounds like a Subaru rally car when you're spinning off the corner and letting the motor spool up. Stability in a straight line was good, slight weave, but nothing that ever threatened to turn ugly as long as you didn't fight it.

Everything that wasn't a flavor of a gravel/rock road on the route was sand based. We had some very dry TWAT and some very wet TWAT. If the sand was packed or damp, the 800XC worked beautifully. If the sand got more than about an inch or two deep and dry/loose, then it was a lot more work than my XR-L would be or the DRZ's. For me, the trick for deeper sand was 2nd or 3rd gear, seated but with the pegs weighted, very loose grip on the bars, lean to turn, and never let off the gas. If I needed to slow, I used a little rear brake, but never let off the gas.

The narrow, rocky type ATV and low-maintenance forest trails we were on were no problem for the Tiger, just at a slower pace than a true dirt bike. I'm really happy with the front fork set up. Nothing I'd really change there. The rear shock isn't bad, but with my weight (190 lbs) and the luggage, the spring, even at max preload, is just barely enough and it needs more compression damping, which isn't adjustable. It needed a little more rebound as well but I never messed with adding any. I never noticed either end fully bottoming hitting rocks or whoops. A lower first gear would be nice. I was never in a nasty hillclimb situation, but can tell it might be tough w/o a lower first gear for really technical going.

I never bothered to turn the ABS off. I only had it kick in on the rear and I thought it was more of a help than a hinderance.

If someone told me a year ago that an 800cc triple would make a good off-road engine, I would have been very skeptical, but the Triumph triple really does work astonishly well. The power is just so buttery smooth and you can lay it down and get traction so easily... simply a great motor. Really reminds me of a KTM 300 2-stroke when you're riding it just below the hit. I'm still on the fence regarding the Arrow silencer and re-map. The pipe and panniers went on at nearly the same time. Early on, I thought the pipe and map took away some of the throttle response and overall punchiness of the motor, especially at less than 4000rpm. But maybe the weight of the bags and the added aero drag is at play too. Off road and on the twisty blacktop though, the fuel injection was perfect so it's starting to grow on me. The Arrow can is much lighter than stock and sounds good. It didn't work as well with the Jesse racks as I'd like, I had to make some modifications. I'm leaving it on for now, but eventually I might put the stock can and map back on and see how the motor likes it. When I first put it on, before the panniers, I do think the bike felt like it had a little more mid-to-upper rpm power. I saw 40-42mpg the entire trip which I was ok with since I was seeing 42-44 before the panniers and the TKC80's. I've complained about engine heat off the bike. It definitely gets hot but it wasn't unbearable, I think mostly since I was wearing the Klim pants. I really noticed the frame on the right get hot when I was in tougher going. Most days were 85-95 degrees and humid. The last day we did 470 miles, about 1/3 off road. I was getting some butt burn by the end of the day, but was better off than I've ever been on any bike for that long.

I really don't have much to compare the TKC80's to for off-road on this type of bike but I thought they worked pretty good everywhere for what they are. They balanced up nicely. Really happy with their road grip. I ran them at 35psi on the road and dropped them to 27 or so when we were on mostly gravel which seemed to help off-road but wasn't as good on pavement (front was bouncy w/ the lower pressure). As they wore in they did get fairly miserable for highway running... noisy and some vibration. Ok trade-off for what I was doing. I'm going to throw the stock tires back on for daily use since my next couple trips will be all pavement. The TKC80's look total bad-ass on the bike. Once the stock Bridgestones wear out, I'll probably put Anakees on it.

I like the Triumph crash bars. They bolt up slick, look good, and have the coverage I wanted. I haven't laid it down yet so can't speak to crash-worthiness yet.

The Triumph bash plate is just 'ok' IMHO. I could hear rocks hitting it so it was working for me, just wish it covered the oil filter better. I'll probably fab a small aluminum extension and have it welded on. The front mount is goofy as hell too. Really tricky to get the washers and nuts on it and you really need to take it off to change the filter. I'll probably try to figure out a way to make the nuts captive.

The Jesse panniers are top notch. I had to modify a little to get the racks to work with the Arrow pipe but it all worked out. They are heavy but undoubtably tough. I now completely understand comments about aluminum panniers being tough on your legs, especially in sand. They are leg breakers for sure but for my mix of riding, I like them. I think they look perfect on the bike.

The Triumph centerstand works good and does what it's supposed to. It was a little tricky to install (one bolt in particular) but doable. However, I had a "clack" when running over rocks, holes, etc that drove me nuts. I thought it was the centerstand but I zip tied it up and it didn't fix it. I pulled the panniers off and it didn't go away. It was tied to when the rear tire hit a bump and I could kind of feel it in the footpegs. I've narrowed it down to where I think it's the centerstand pivots, not the centerstand flopping down. I think there is just enough play in there that it allows a metal on metal clack when the rear hits something. I need to pull it completely off to verify that's the problem. Not really sure how to fix it if it is. They allowed too much clearance in there. Might have to make some inserts for the stand with a tighter tolerance or something. Can't live with that clack though.

We all swapped bikes on the ride so got my first chance to ride an F800GS. It's farkeled out, also with Jesse panniers plus a top trunk. He still had the stock Anakee's on it. Until I read about some of the mechanical horror stories, I really wanted the 800GS. It was a nice ride, it definitely feels more like a dirt bike than the 800XC. If I was riding stuff like the TWAT all the time, the 800GS is the better bike IMHO. It felt much more natural and was less work on the gravel. I didn't ride it in anything too technical or deep sand. It seemed like it fell nicely between my XR650L and my 800XC in dirt-worthiness. He seemed to struggle more in the sand than I did, but I think that was more tire differences than bike differences. The motor was more exciting than I thought it would be and had a great exhaust note. The powerband felt narrower than the Triumphs though. We had one impromptu drag race to about 70mph and the Triumph walked away pretty steadily. The front fork was too soft and vague. The seat didn't do anything for me for comfort but was really nice for moving around. The GS got great gas mileage, I think he got almost 60mpg once... damn thats good.

The gear I wore all worked good. I had just got the Klim Dakar pants and can't say enough good things about them. I wore them every day. I'm 6'3" and need the tall size which fit good. The venting works great. Comfortable. Don't completely look like spaceman wearing them. Didn't have to ride in any significant rain but I had some overpants I was ready to put on if it did.

I've had the Accelerator coat for a few years now and wear it for everything. For the price, it works good. I've never used the backpack/hydration thing. Lots of pockets, good venting, and waterproof so you don't have to have a rain jacket. The only thing I'd change is I wish the front panels that come off weren't so fiddly to take on and off and that the neck was higher in the front for when it's cool out. You pretty much have to have a bandana or something to stop wind from going down the front.

So after my long weekend with the 800XC, I can definitely say we bonded and I'm in it for the long haul. It was a great trip on a great bike.

What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #6970
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Tiger pouncing on TWAT write up...

I brain-spewed a bunch of thoughts on my 800XC (among other things) after riding the TWAT this weekend here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....51&postcount=1
Old 07-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #6971
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Will someone explain why the Arrow Slip-on for the 800 Tiger requires (or at least recommends) a re-map and and other brands of slip-ons do not require or recommend a remap?
The Arrow was developed with the full help of Triumph with the desired end result of a greater output.
Others are developed on a standard machine to flow pretty much the same gas volumes as the oem can, as this is the larger market. They could develop as Arrow & TRiumph did but then they would also have to develop a map as well. Small market
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #6972
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Triumph centerstand noise?

Ok, so my 800XC makes a terrible clack when I hit holes, rocks, etc. It's when the rear hits and I can slightly feel it in the footpegs. I thought it was the Triumph centerstand bouncing but I zip tied it up and it didn't go away. I think the noise is actually coming from the centerstand pivots where there is just a little bit of play. I still need to pull it completely off to make sure, but I'm fairly certain that's where the noise is coming from.

Has anyone else experienced this with the Triumph centerstand? Anyone determined a fix?
Old 07-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #6973
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomx971 View Post
Ok, so my 800XC makes a terrible clack when I hit holes, rocks, etc. It's when the rear hits and I can slightly feel it in the footpegs. I thought it was the Triumph centerstand bouncing but I zip tied it up and it didn't go away. I think the noise is actually coming from the centerstand pivots where there is just a little bit of play. I still need to pull it completely off to make sure, but I'm fairly certain that's where the noise is coming from.

Has anyone else experienced this with the Triumph centerstand? Anyone determined a fix?
I'm getting a similar sound and I assumed it was my sidecase. I do have a center stand also. Not going to worry about it.
'12 NC700X/D
Old 07-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #6974
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomx971 View Post

It's the sidestand moving and slamming against it's stop. I don't have a centerstand and get it all the time when riding off-road. I don't see any solution other than to somehow tighten it up enough that it's really hard to move...or maybe some stouter springs. I can't believe Triumph didn't catch this BS in testing.

Cheers,
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #6975
trailrider71us
I can't b fired,only sold

Oddometer: 112
Thumb 800xc

Good read and pics.Sounds like the bike is pretty capable.
Sean
86 BMW R80G/S
Rokon 2X2
trailrider71us is offline   Reply With Quote