Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #6991
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Any chance these two cases share same cause?

Lion
It does not sound like the same thing.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #6992
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Under what circumstances you get the head shake?
What speed? Cross winds?
What tire and tire pressure
Unloaded bike? Loaded bike, rear shock set up?

Lion
It can be encountered during different situations. I was getting it with stock tire pressure, stock suspension settings, running continental TKC80 tires, and mostly at high speeds around 70-80 mph. This is what they make steering dampers for.
I do not really encounter the problem any more. After putting about 1000 miles on the tires and lowering the front tire 2 psi below what's recommended has basically cured the problem. I will be purchasing a steering damper when one becomes available.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #6993
pentonfan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
My fuel light comes on at 175 miles every time. I refuel it at that point and it takes 3.5-3.7 gallons (US) full to the two bars in the filler neck. If I go close to the posted speed limit I average 49 mpg; if I push it a little I get 46 mpg. My daily commute is 115 miles round-trip, so I fill it up just about every day.
My 800 XC with Michelin Anakee 2, Leo Vince muffler and 1400 miles just did 49.09 MPG on a North Carolina mountain 2-up trip this weekend. Fuel light came on about 188 miles, filled up at 190 miles and calculated 49.09 MPG
pentonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #6994
wanderlost
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Question Brake noise on the Tiger 800s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Is it only slow turns? Walking speeds or faster?

Does it stop immediately if you release the brake?

Any indication of where the sound is coming from?

Just a thought - Do your bikes have ABS? If so try turning off the ABS and see if the noise goes away. If so, there's your answer! If not , you have ruled out one more possibility. Keep us informed.

paul
wanderlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #6995
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Evomx' - will take a look at centerstand pivot point and see. Other than possibly shimming with nylon / rubber washers or something - I cant think of a "cure" offhand. I'll get back to you. Yes - I think your right. Elevation have effect on mpg. We were mostly between 2500 - 5000 ft. My buddy was getting 60+ mpg on his GS. When we run in Montana / Idaho on our fishing trips I could use 87 octane in my Uly (which required 91 - but 87 was all we could get in Melrose - POP - 62, Elev ~ 5000 ft) & it ran great & got 50+ mpg. Never got more than 47 in flat lands at sea level. Thanks for Jessie feedback - under consideration. TTFN, j
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #6996
bondatomic
expert noob

Oddometer: 39
Thumbs down Suspension fubar'ed

My rear suspension preload adjustment screw sounds terrible when I turn it (sounds like cracking plastic), and I can't go all the way to max preload. Has anyone else had a problem like this? I'll probably get a new shock near the end of the season.
bondatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #6997
E-town dirt dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyver View Post
Beautiful bike and photos!!! I am jealous. I just spent over two grand farklizing my Wee for a two week adventure ride up to Canada, or I'd get one.

Question I haven't seen answered in the thread. Does this bike run on 87? Or does it need premium like the Beemer. And, what is the average range on a tank of gas? Thanks.
Thank you. I"m upgrading from a KLR...and while I loved my KLR...the Tiger takes it to a whole new level.

The bike is supposed to run on premium gas but I ran down to half a tank and put in regular. I didn't notice a difference but I don't know what the long term effects of regular gas would be.

I don't know what the average range would be. I'm still breaking it in and doing lots of full on off of the throttle to seat the rings. When I'm doing a constant 100 km/h it says I'm doing bout 3.8 to 4 litres per 100 km/h. The average fuel economy has been about 6.1 litres per 100 km. I'm sure that would be better on a long trip but that would be with a rider with a much more gentle right wrist than mine.
E-town dirt dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #6998
Guyver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-town dirt dude View Post
Thank you. I"m upgrading from a KLR...and while I loved my KLR...the Tiger takes it to a whole new level.

The bike is supposed to run on premium gas but I ran down to half a tank and put in regular. I didn't notice a difference but I don't know what the long term effects of regular gas would be.

I don't know what the average range would be. I'm still breaking it in and doing lots of full on off of the throttle to seat the rings. When I'm doing a constant 100 km/h it says I'm doing bout 3.8 to 4 litres per 100 km/h. The average fuel economy has been about 6.1 litres per 100 km. I'm sure that would be better on a long trip but that would be with a rider with a much more gentle right wrist than mine.
Thanks E-Town, now I've got to do some math and convert it to American! haahah. Anyway, from what I can tell the mileage and range is about the same as my Wee; maybe just a little less. I see something shiny and new this fall in my future.....love my Wee, but I like the extra umph I've been reading about here. Thanks again and congrats on a bitchin bike.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:33 AM   #6999
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Where does it specify premium gas?
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:06 AM   #7000
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,620
Quote:
This is incorrect, unless the specifications are different for Canadian market bikes. In the U.S., Triumph specifies the bike to run on regular (87 octane) gas.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:23 AM   #7001
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
This is incorrect, unless the specifications are different for Canadian market bikes. In the U.S., Triumph specifies the bike to run on regular (87 octane) gas.

2nd that, read the manual!
Old 07-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #7002
PirateDunk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
We have lots of sand here in WA. My tiger seems to enjoy it.
Attached Images

PirateDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #7003
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
I've tried it on numerous roads, in both tracks, same result. Did the same test on my Futura, not even a slight pull to the right. When I took care of a friend's BMW boxer, it did the same thing. On the XC, it's a gradual but strong pull that isn't easily countered with pressure on the opposite footpeg.
Boxers do it because that's the way the crank spins. Check your wheel alignment, could be your rear wheel is skewed and therefore sending the bike right. Use the simple string method, only takes a few minutes and once done, will stay in true as long as you turn both adjusting screws the same number of turns whenever you adjust the chain. Chain adjuster marks on the swingarm should not be trusted until you've checked them.
Motorcycle wheel alignment using string
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #7004
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondatomic View Post
Word to the wise: don't ride an English bike during Independence weekend... George Washington will put a screw in your rear tire (3" deck screw to be exact).

Funny you mention that. Look what I found in my tire last night after getting home from a 1500-mile trip through Quebec:

By the way, the bike now has a little over 9000 miles on it; that tire has about 7700. The front tire is the original one. Both could probably manage another 1000 miles or so, but are getting pulled off next week to be replaced with something knobbier.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #7005
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Funny you mention that. Look what I found in my tire last night after getting home from a 1500-mile trip through Quebec:

By the way, the bike now has a little over 9000 miles on it; that tire has about 7700. The front tire is the original one. Both could probably manage another 1000 miles or so, but are getting pulled off next week to be replaced with something knobbier.

--mark
Feel a little wiggle or slip on right hand twisties? That's one lucky puncture, never seen one go in that flat.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote