User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #7021
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
My experience is that the fuel light comes on at about 200 miles.
My fuel light comes on at 175 miles every time. I refuel it at that point and it takes 3.5-3.7 gallons (US) full to the two bars in the filler neck. If I go close to the posted speed limit I average 49 mpg; if I push it a little I get 46 mpg. My daily commute is 115 miles round-trip, so I fill it up just about every day.
spewler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #7022
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Its in here somewhere... yes bike runs on 87. Average range can depend on so much. Highway speeds you can expect 200+. My experience is that the fuel light comes on at about 200 miles. So you could go 250 give or take... Is that everyone elses experience at highway speeds?
Not me. I get 42-43 mpg no matter how I ride. Light comes on at 170, takes 4 gallons, so max range is little over 200.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #7023
Guyver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
Not me. I get 42-43 mpg no matter how I ride. Light comes on at 170, takes 4 gallons, so max range is little over 200.
Anything over two hundreds pretty good I think.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #7024
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
That was my experience under 1K miles. Even got 38 mpg one tank. Since then it has been upped to 47 to 51, just under 2k miles now. I ride pretty sedately all the time so the difference is more due to wind direction. My last tank the low fuel lamp came on at 192 and she took 3.9 gallons. That is all the range I need in any riding situation I am likely to encounter. I am quite pleased with this motorcycle in every respect.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #7025
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 103
Thumb

Quote:
I am quite pleased with this motorcycle in every respect.
Couldn't have said it better...
spewler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #7026
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,437
Quote:
Got an answer from the dealer rep today. Triumph HQ says it's a software issue. They are aware of it and say they are in the process of fixing... sooo... i wait!
Quote:
Originally Posted by outactrl View Post
So here is my engine stalling story. [...] While sitting in the parking lot with the bike in neutral, twisted the throttle, engine dies. Definitely not me! Something is wrong here. Continued the ride for the weekend, loving the bike, loving the way it rides, handles, the motor, comfort, perfect bike for me, except for the stalling issue which persisted. Got home from the trip with about 600 miles on the bike. Took it in to the dealer for the first service the next weekend. Rode the bike to the dealer, had no stalling issues for that ride, about 50 miles. I had already let the dealer know about the stalling issue before then. Asked them to check it out. Was waiting at the shop for the first service to be complete when one of the workers there came to me and said, I need to give you the bad news about your bike. She said one of the technicians was test riding the bike after the service. Went to take off, the bike started to stall, then surged forward and the technician layed the bike down. Could not keep it under control. They ended up replacing the left side mirror, turning signal, clutch lever that was broken, bar end and ordered a new left side pannier to replace the one they had damaged. So here I am with a brand new bike, less than 1000 miles and had been wrecked. I am not happy! They tell me that they have downloaded the newest tune and that everything is fixed. No more stalling issues. I head out to the parking lot, start the bike up, put on my riding gear, pull the clutch in, give it some gas and the engine dies. I start the bike up again, leave it in neutral, give it some gas, the engine dies. I am not happy. At this point I've been at the dealer for over 3 hours. I tell them I am not riding this bike home, it needs to be fixed. They give me a Tiger 1050 as a loaner bike and I head home. The next week the owner of the dealership rides my 800 to where I work and drops it off. Apparently there was a new tune from Triumph they downloaded that fixed all the problems. I say great, thank you and head back into work. I leave work that evening and on my way home the bike stalls 4 more times! A 12 mile ride home, 4 stalls!!!! Stop at a stop light, the light turns green, I give the bike gas, the engine dies. Nothing has been fixed, I am not happy! When I finally made it home, took a video just to document the problem. Link below. Had to go out of town for work, when I got home, hauled the bike back to the dealership in the back of my truck. Two weeks later I get a call from the dealership. They say that I am welcome to come pick my bike up, but they have not fixed the problem. I say no! I will not pick the bike up until is fixed. They say Triumph is working on the problem, that it is a fuel mapping issue. There is not a fix at this time. The dealer has been in contact with Triumph North America and Triumph in the UK. There is no resolution, my bike can not be fixed. I am not happy. I have called the North American Triumph headquarters and spoken to customer service. They say they will get in touch with my dealer and work something out. The Tiger has now been at the dealership for over 3 weeks with no resolution. Most of the talk here has been about tunes and updates to fix stalling issues. I was told that my bike had a fuel mapping issue, but last week received an email from the dealer saying they are going to replace the throttle bodies, but of course, they have to order them from the UK. Not sure when the parts will be here. I am not happy! So, I have a bike that apparently can not be fixed. Customer service at Triumph North America is no longer returning my calls. What should I do? Legally, I can invoke the lemon law and get a new bike or full refund. I don't want to resort to that. Why will Triumph not do the right thing and just say we owe you a new motorcycle. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. What do I do now?

http://s644.photobucket.com/albums/u...ent=110525.mp4
Any chance these two cases share same cause?

Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #7027
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,437
Quote:
I think your misunderstanding, Head shake as in the handlebars. AKA Tankslap...
Under what circumstances you get the head shake?
What speed? Cross winds?
What tire and tire pressure
Unloaded bike? Loaded bike, rear shock set up?

Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #7028
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Any chance these two cases share same cause?

Lion
It does not sound like the same thing.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #7029
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Under what circumstances you get the head shake?
What speed? Cross winds?
What tire and tire pressure
Unloaded bike? Loaded bike, rear shock set up?

Lion
It can be encountered during different situations. I was getting it with stock tire pressure, stock suspension settings, running continental TKC80 tires, and mostly at high speeds around 70-80 mph. This is what they make steering dampers for.
I do not really encounter the problem any more. After putting about 1000 miles on the tires and lowering the front tire 2 psi below what's recommended has basically cured the problem. I will be purchasing a steering damper when one becomes available.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #7030
pentonfan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
My fuel light comes on at 175 miles every time. I refuel it at that point and it takes 3.5-3.7 gallons (US) full to the two bars in the filler neck. If I go close to the posted speed limit I average 49 mpg; if I push it a little I get 46 mpg. My daily commute is 115 miles round-trip, so I fill it up just about every day.
My 800 XC with Michelin Anakee 2, Leo Vince muffler and 1400 miles just did 49.09 MPG on a North Carolina mountain 2-up trip this weekend. Fuel light came on about 188 miles, filled up at 190 miles and calculated 49.09 MPG
pentonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #7031
wanderlost
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Question Brake noise on the Tiger 800s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Is it only slow turns? Walking speeds or faster?

Does it stop immediately if you release the brake?

Any indication of where the sound is coming from?

Just a thought - Do your bikes have ABS? If so try turning off the ABS and see if the noise goes away. If so, there's your answer! If not , you have ruled out one more possibility. Keep us informed.

paul
wanderlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #7032
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Evomx' - will take a look at centerstand pivot point and see. Other than possibly shimming with nylon / rubber washers or something - I cant think of a "cure" offhand. I'll get back to you. Yes - I think your right. Elevation have effect on mpg. We were mostly between 2500 - 5000 ft. My buddy was getting 60+ mpg on his GS. When we run in Montana / Idaho on our fishing trips I could use 87 octane in my Uly (which required 91 - but 87 was all we could get in Melrose - POP - 62, Elev ~ 5000 ft) & it ran great & got 50+ mpg. Never got more than 47 in flat lands at sea level. Thanks for Jessie feedback - under consideration. TTFN, j
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #7033
bondatomic
expert noob

Oddometer: 39
Thumbs down Suspension fubar'ed

My rear suspension preload adjustment screw sounds terrible when I turn it (sounds like cracking plastic), and I can't go all the way to max preload. Has anyone else had a problem like this? I'll probably get a new shock near the end of the season.
bondatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #7034
E-town dirt dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyver View Post
Beautiful bike and photos!!! I am jealous. I just spent over two grand farklizing my Wee for a two week adventure ride up to Canada, or I'd get one.

Question I haven't seen answered in the thread. Does this bike run on 87? Or does it need premium like the Beemer. And, what is the average range on a tank of gas? Thanks.
Thank you. I"m upgrading from a KLR...and while I loved my KLR...the Tiger takes it to a whole new level.

The bike is supposed to run on premium gas but I ran down to half a tank and put in regular. I didn't notice a difference but I don't know what the long term effects of regular gas would be.

I don't know what the average range would be. I'm still breaking it in and doing lots of full on off of the throttle to seat the rings. When I'm doing a constant 100 km/h it says I'm doing bout 3.8 to 4 litres per 100 km/h. The average fuel economy has been about 6.1 litres per 100 km. I'm sure that would be better on a long trip but that would be with a rider with a much more gentle right wrist than mine.
E-town dirt dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #7035
Guyver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-town dirt dude View Post
Thank you. I"m upgrading from a KLR...and while I loved my KLR...the Tiger takes it to a whole new level.

The bike is supposed to run on premium gas but I ran down to half a tank and put in regular. I didn't notice a difference but I don't know what the long term effects of regular gas would be.

I don't know what the average range would be. I'm still breaking it in and doing lots of full on off of the throttle to seat the rings. When I'm doing a constant 100 km/h it says I'm doing bout 3.8 to 4 litres per 100 km/h. The average fuel economy has been about 6.1 litres per 100 km. I'm sure that would be better on a long trip but that would be with a rider with a much more gentle right wrist than mine.
Thanks E-Town, now I've got to do some math and convert it to American! haahah. Anyway, from what I can tell the mileage and range is about the same as my Wee; maybe just a little less. I see something shiny and new this fall in my future.....love my Wee, but I like the extra umph I've been reading about here. Thanks again and congrats on a bitchin bike.