'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #7037
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar View Post
Pre-detonation of the fuel. Can be caused by incorrect ignition timing, wrong spark plugs, poor quality / low octane fuel, too high compression, etc. Basically, the fuel starts to burn before it's been ignited by the spark plug. Depending on severity, it sounds like a rattle from the top of the engine.

Wow, thanks for the serious responses to my somewhat tongue-in-cheek post. I seriously thought it was a typo in the Triumph manual... I had no idea it was another way of describing a "Ping or Knock". Kind of like my Aussie friend mentioning he recently crashed on the bitumen.

Learn something every day.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #7038
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,971
Idling problems

For everyone with idling problems... don't know if anyone has already mentioned it here before, but just in case, it seems to be somewhat of a common problem.

Check this thread on the Tiger 800 forum for more info:
http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,1083.0.html

There are two other threads similar to this one on the Tiger 800 forum.

Hope this helps.
Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #7039
when the road bends
hello

Oddometer: 464
Does 1st Service cause engine stalling?

I recently used 93octane in my tiger, noticed the engine was running as happy as before. Switched back to 87. Its running better now but its time for the first service. I dont want to give it to the dealer because from my understanding they remap the fueling during this service, and then you get a stalling issue? Is my assumption correct?

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
when the road bends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #7040
PaulSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by when the road bends View Post
I recently used 93octane in my tiger, noticed the engine was running as happy as before. Switched back to 87. Its running better now but its time for the first service. I dont want to give it to the dealer because from my understanding they remap the fueling during this service, and then you get a stalling issue? Is my assumption correct?

No ... You either have the issues or you don't. No one is quite sure why yet.
PaulSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #7041
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by when the road bends View Post
There would be no need to load a new map at the first service unless the current map in the ECU is outdated/obsolete. Even so, by most/all accounts, the new map is better and corrected some stalling issues that some people were having early on.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #7042
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,642
TwistedThrottle FINALLY has the SW_Motech alu top rack in!

Unfortunately during the delay I decided to go with Hepco & Becker so I can replace the crappy Five Stars rack on my W650 (which mounts Givi) with a Hepco & Becker rack (really the only other option for the W650). So I decided to go with the Hepco & Becker alu top rack for the Tiger 800 because a) it was available, b) it can mount the HB top case without an adapter and c) I'll be able to swap the top case from bike to bike. Thankfully I got the shipment notice from amotostuff today for the rack and top case.

STILL waiting on those Motech quick-lock side racks that I ordered back in May.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #7043
Romulux
Next exit

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
You're not the only one. My Micatech cases have been ready to ship but they've been waiting for the racks for a month now.
Romulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #7044
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulux View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulux View Post
You're not the only one. My Micatech cases have been ready to ship but they've been waiting for the racks for a month now.
I know Winding Roads in the UK have these in stock and ship to the US.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:27 AM   #7045
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,775
Quote:
You mean one's like this?....

Sorry, I know that doesn't help but I thought you'd like proof that they do exist.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:13 AM   #7046
Simon Smith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
There would be no need to load a new map at the first service unless the current map in the ECU is outdated/obsolete. Even so, by most/all accounts, the new map is better and corrected some stalling issues that some people were having early on.
Yes the first service cured mine completely of this fault when a later map was installed. I have since had an even later map and it made it even smoother!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #7047
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,183
Prospective XC buyer has some questions...

It is becoming apparent that my 2010 Ducati Multistrada is not quite the bike for me (for various reasons I won't elaborate on now...). If the 800 XC had been available when I purchased the Multi I might well have gone that way.

Anyway...local dealer has a white XC in stock (my preferred color); I put about 50 miles on their demo XC yesterday, and was generally quite impressed. But there are a few issues that concern me:

1. The triple is awfully smooth, and has more than adequate power, but it seemed---to me---like it didn't have a whole lot of character, if you know what I mean. Of course it pales next to the 150 HP Ducati 1198, but I don't mean that. Probably I would rapidly get used to its wonderful linear behavior and smoothness.

2. Part of buying the XC now would be to allow me to still take a summer trip (I'm a professor, and by mid-August my summer is over). For this I need luggage. I'd prefer top-loading side cases plus a top case. From what I see these (and/or their mounting racks) are not in plentiful supply. Is this true?

3. Is pricing at all negotiable? On a bike this new and with this kind of demand, I'd guess not. Still, never hurts to ask... Of course, if I include any dealer-installed options (center stand, etc.) this is more likely to be negotiable.

4. Is a Factory Service Manual available? This looks like a bike on which I could perform virtually all service operations.

Overall, the XC really impressed me. Super stable thru the corners (21" front wheel), non-adjustable forks worked very well for my 145-lb weight, maybe just what I was looking for last spring.

Didn't have a chance to ride any dirt, but I'm confident that it would do better than I would! Most of my dirt riding is 2-track fire roads getting back to backcountry campgrounds, etc.

So thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

--Doc
Isa. 58:14 (KJV)
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
1992 Ducati 900SS (looker)
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #7048
Erik1977
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
top loading luggage

Hello Dr Greg.

Hepco&Becker has side carriers for the Tiger's.

http://neu.hepco-becker.de/Montagean...07505.0001.pdf

You can mount all their side cases to them. including top loading one's.

http://neu.hepco-becker.de/Web/Produ...php?language=2

Now i think of it, SW-Motech and Touratech also make things like that.

http://shop.sw-motech.com/lshop,show...r800xc,,,,.htm

http://www.touratech.com/shops/011/i...14097c541a6f08

hope this helps...

cheers!
Erik1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #7049
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,880
There are also Jesse cases and there is a Triumph Service Manual (I wish BMW had something like that). Not sure whether the Service Manual is already available.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #7050
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. Greg View Post
it is becoming apparent that my 2010 ducati multistrada is not quite the bike for me (for various reasons i won't elaborate on now...). If the 800 xc had been available when i purchased the multi i might well have gone that way.

Anyway...local dealer has a white xc in stock (my preferred color); i put about 50 miles on their demo xc yesterday, and was generally quite impressed. But there are a few issues that concern me:

1. The triple is awfully smooth, and has more than adequate power, but it seemed---to me---like it didn't have a whole lot of character, if you know what i mean. Of course it pales next to the 150 hp ducati 1198, but i don't mean that. Probably i would rapidly get used to its wonderful linear behavior and smoothness.
if you want more 'character' get an after-market can so you can actually hear the engine.

2. Part of buying the xc now would be to allow me to still take a summer trip (i'm a professor, and by mid-august my summer is over). For this i need luggage. I'd prefer top-loading side cases plus a top case. From what i see these (and/or their mounting racks) are not in plentiful supply. Is this true?
they are available.

3. Is pricing at all negotiable? On a bike this new and with this kind of demand, i'd guess not. Still, never hurts to ask... Of course, if i include any dealer-installed options (center stand, etc.) this is more likely to be negotiable.
i got a small discount for paying cash.

4. Is a factory service manual available? This looks like a bike on which i could perform virtually all service operations.
i believe it is yes - i think the jerk has one

overall, the xc really impressed me. Super stable thru the corners (21" front wheel), non-adjustable forks worked very well for my 145-lb weight, maybe just what i was looking for last spring.

Didn't have a chance to ride any dirt, but i'm confident that it would do better than i would! Most of my dirt riding is 2-track fire roads getting back to backcountry campgrounds, etc.

so thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

--doc
hth
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote