Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2011, 10:15 AM   #7051
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
It is becoming apparent that my 2010 Ducati Multistrada is not quite the bike for me (for various reasons I won't elaborate on now...). If the 800 XC had been available when I purchased the Multi I might well have gone that way.

Anyway...local dealer has a white XC in stock (my preferred color); I put about 50 miles on their demo XC yesterday, and was generally quite impressed. But there are a few issues that concern me:

--Doc
DOC!!!!! You turncoat!

Seriously though, I test rode the 800XC and came away very impressed. I've always loved the Tiger 1050 triple and my buddie's STriple, and the 800 is likewise a real gem. I have a quick review of the XC somewhere in this thread that you may want to check out since we're coming from the same place (MTS12).

Re. "no character", my take on the triple is it's smooth, predictable, totally tractable power delivery IS it's character. It's not going to rumble like the big twins, or have the gobs of low-end torque, and certainly won't make all the "fun" rackety-clackety noises of a Desmo'd Duc, but toss an aftermarket pipe on there, and get it into the upper rev range, and it sounds like an angry version of those speeder bikes from the Star Wars movies. So...it has character (IMO), just not "big twin" character.

One last note. You may want to check out the new 2012 WeeStrom too. It looks like a nice package at a fraction of the cost of the XC (leaving more $$ free to farkle! ).

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #7052
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
It is becoming apparent that my 2010 Ducati Multistrada is not quite the bike for me (for various reasons I won't elaborate on now...). If the 800 XC had been available when I purchased the Multi I might well have gone that way.

Anyway...local dealer has a white XC in stock (my preferred color); I put about 50 miles on their demo XC yesterday, and was generally quite impressed. But there are a few issues that concern me:

1. The triple is awfully smooth, and has more than adequate power, but it seemed---to me---like it didn't have a whole lot of character, if you know what I mean. Of course it pales next to the 150 HP Ducati 1198, but I don't mean that. Probably I would rapidly get used to its wonderful linear behavior and smoothness.

2. Part of buying the XC now would be to allow me to still take a summer trip (I'm a professor, and by mid-August my summer is over). For this I need luggage. I'd prefer top-loading side cases plus a top case. From what I see these (and/or their mounting racks) are not in plentiful supply. Is this true?

3. Is pricing at all negotiable? On a bike this new and with this kind of demand, I'd guess not. Still, never hurts to ask... Of course, if I include any dealer-installed options (center stand, etc.) this is more likely to be negotiable.

4. Is a Factory Service Manual available? This looks like a bike on which I could perform virtually all service operations.

Overall, the XC really impressed me. Super stable thru the corners (21" front wheel), non-adjustable forks worked very well for my 145-lb weight, maybe just what I was looking for last spring.

Didn't have a chance to ride any dirt, but I'm confident that it would do better than I would! Most of my dirt riding is 2-track fire roads getting back to backcountry campgrounds, etc.

So thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

--Doc
I'll brain-spew some reponses for ya Doc...

1. Personally, I think the motor has tremendous character, just very different than that of a twin. If you can't live w/o that whacking great shudder you get from a big twin working hard like a Ducati, Vstrom, or Buell has, then the Triple might never sit with you. IMHO, the 800 triple has a much broader working powerband than any twin I've been on (that said, never ridden a MS). It's amazingly versatile and sounds fantastic when it gets into it's "growl".

2. Stuff is coming quickly. I personally have mine set up with Jesse panniers and a Givi top case. Jesse has a top case too. Good stuff. Sounds like www.twistedthrottle.com is coming online with all the SW Motech stuff. Touratech also has cases ready I believe as does Micatech (but those are side loading I think).

3. Pricing is location specific I reckon. You're getting to a good time of year to maybe do some wheeling and dealing. I wanted mine first thing this spring so I knew I'd basically be paying MSRP... which I did, but got the dealer to drop all shipping and set up fees. I also got about 20% off a big order of accessories. If a dealer has a couple sitting on their floor right now, I'd guess there would be a little dealing to do now. At my dealer, sales and parts are essentially two entities... I worked two different deals, something to think about.

4. Yes, there is a good service manual. It's $100 through the dealer. Pricey, but very handy. The only thing I can't do myself is checking ECU codes or load maps.

Everyone has their own opinions on farkles, but here's a quick rundown on what I'm using and my impressions:
  • Arrow pipe - eh, would probably skip if doing again
  • Jesse Luggage - great stuff (and good people), but probably a little heavier than other options
  • Triumph centerstand - good
  • Triumph bashplate - ok, but I like that the SW Motech reaches up higher over the oil filter. I have a Motech on the way and will probably but my Triumph one in the flea market.
  • Triumph crashbars - great looks and fitment. Others cover more but I think these would work good in a fall... currently untested on mine.
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #7053
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,680
Quote:
1. The triple is awfully smooth, and has more than adequate power, but it seemed---to me---like it didn't have a whole lot of character, if you know what I mean. --Doc
http://www.aerostich.com/bodies-in-motion.html

Interesting read but at times, overly technical. He explores the relationship between rider and bike, and why some bikes "speak" to a rider while another leaves them flat. The last half of the book documents the vibrational aspects of various bikes and how they effect the rider.

It basically comes down to the visceral feel that some of us look for in a motorcycle while others are content to ride luxo-tourers that isolate them from the discomforts of riding. Nothing wrong with either approach, it's still riding!
Old 07-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #7054
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,168
XC Engine Character

Re the XC engine character: the demo bike HAD an Arrow pipe on it! So much for improving the character...

Seriously, I don't think that's gonna be a show-stopper.

--Doc
Isa. 58:14 (KJV)
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
1992 Ducati 900SS (looker)
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #7055
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,062
Quote:
Re the XC engine character: the demo bike HAD an Arrow pipe on it! So much for improving the character...

--Doc
Interesting, in that case I'm really not sure what you are looking for....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #7056
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Interesting, in that case I'm really not sure what you are looking for....
Well, it indicates that I'm not just sensitive to SOUND. In fact, at my advanced age (almost 64) I don't like loud much. Actually I found the Arrow pipe just a little annoying (no flames, please...I almost can't believe I'm saying that, but...)

A previous post referred to large twin power pulses (or something like that)...since '92 I've ridden: Ducati 900SS, Aprilia Mille, Buell Ulysses, Ducati Multistrada...see any trend there?

To go from those twins with 500-600cc cylinders to an 800cc triple sewing machine is a pretty big jump. Possibly my psyche just needs to get acclimated...

--Doc
Isa. 58:14 (KJV)
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
1992 Ducati 900SS (looker)
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #7057
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 47,057
Quote:
To go from those twins with 500-600cc cylinders to an 800cc triple sewing machine is a pretty big jump. Possibly my psyche just needs to get acclimated...

--Doc
Triples are smooth and if you are used to the torque pulses of a V-twin you may mistake the lack of pulses and vibration for a lack of character. Also, if you are used to large displacement V-twins, you may have not been winding out the motor enough...

I love the triple motor, it has low rpm torque like a V-twin and high rpm revviness (tm) like an inline four.

I'm not looking to try and convert anyone, but I sure like it.
And FWIW, I test rode a couple of 800s and they are very smooth, quiet motors.

The 955s, 885, and 1050 triples I've owned all started to sing about 6k rpm. Put on a decent pipe (if you like) and wind them out a bit, they have plenty of character for me.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #7058
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,062
Quote:
Well, it indicates that I'm not just sensitive to SOUND. In fact, at my advanced age (almost 64) I don't like loud much. Actually I found the Arrow pipe just a little annoying (no flames, please...I almost can't believe I'm saying that, but...)

A previous post referred to large twin power pulses (or something like that)...since '92 I've ridden: Ducati 900SS, Aprilia Mille, Buell Ulysses, Ducati Multistrada...see any trend there?

--Doc
Could be. Very different engines you list with very different characteristics. I'm the opposite to you, this will be my third Triumph triple and to my mind, they have bags of character and (with a suitable pipe) THE best sounding engine in any bike.

Each to his own.

Good luck on your choice - as I've said before, the best bike in the world is the one you're riding right now....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #7059
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:

--Doc
Get a "Made in Italy" sticker for it.... perhaps that's the "character" your looking for. Add a wind chime to simulare a dry clutch clattter.. for a little additional "character".

Regards, Paul
Old 07-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #7060
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Add a wind chime to simulare a dry clutch clattter.. for a little additional "character".

Regards, Paul
LOL! There's nothing musical about dry clutch chatter....if Doc wants to emulate that, all he needs is a can filled with rocks. But....the MTS12 has a wet clutch, so no worries either way.

Doc, my guess is you may have ridden the demo bike like you rode your MTS, which is in the lower part of the rev range where a big twin shines. For the lil' Tig, think 250cc dirt bike ('cause that's about the size of each piston), and wring it's neck a bit. Below 6k RPM, it really doesn't have much character, but above that.....well, go give it another try and see if your impression changes.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #7061
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano955 View Post
I've had my 2012 XC for not quite a month now. I love it but.. it's got a problem...

http://rockiesriders.com/index.php?topic=391.new#new

The dealer says it's the Throttle Position Sensor that caused the idle to stick around 2k rpms. It ran beautifully with that exception. Now, with less than 800 miles on it, it's been in the shop for 2 full days and the dealer is waiting on Triumph to tell them what to do...

Now on day 4 of sitting in the shop. Still not fixed. I called the dealer today and the service manager said, by direction of Triumph, they've got the throttle bodies off looking for an air leak. The TPS will not stay in adjustment... I'm supposed to get an update later this evening but it aint lookin' good to me. It's been in the shop for twice the amount of time I've actually ridden the thing!
Old 07-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #7062
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,519
Quote:

--Doc
Did you take it up to 8000rpm? I haven't even ridden a Tiger 800 yet, but that's where Jodie's Street Triple starts to howl and is definitely in it's FUN zone.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:45 PM   #7063
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Doc, if it is a twin with pistons the size of paint cans you relish, better get a new Thunderbird
I just sat on one of the XCs tonight at Spitzies in Albany NY, and I would need to get the handlebars back and up a bit for my arms. The windscreen with the creases in it sure looks weird, but I guess it is functional. Overall, I don't think any adventure bike will be winning any beauty contests, although the red MS is pretty sharp (and the orange XC really catches my eye). Spitzies has a roadie and an XC on the floor, but their shop is about 90% Hardleys (most of which is white trash clothing and bottle openers), with only a small part of the floor dedicated to the Triumphs. They did have a red Street or Speed Triple (sorry, can't remember shit anymore) that would have me parting with my driver's license in very short order! By the time I retire and buy my Tiger, they should have all of these software issues ironed out, and the aftermarket supplies should only be getting better. As good as it is right now, I think it can only get better in the future.
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #7064
dhula
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomx971 View Post
I'll brain-spew some reponses for ya Doc...
4. Yes, there is a good service manual. It's $100 through the dealer. Pricey, but very handy.
There is also another one for about $45 depending on which part of the world you live in. Difference is postage, From memory the book is about $30. Comparing OEM with this one there is no difference I can see so far but I haven't compared the whole book yet. I recommend getting the $45 special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomx971 View Post
The only thing I can't do myself is checking ECU codes or load maps.
TuneEcu will do all but the reseting of the service indicator. My guess is that this function may be available soon, but it isn't yet. SW is free (or donation to developer if you feel) and cable which I paid $13 delivered for
Dealertool will do the codes, tests, assist with bleeding the ABS brakes (TuneEcu doesn't ahve this function AFAIK) if you get them and is capable of reseting the service indicator as at the latest upgrade, it will not delve into the maps tho. Cost is about $140 depending on where you live in the world but is only good for one bike, extra keys (one per bike is needed) are available for about $50 or you can get dealertool and a open key so you can work on as many bikes as you want for about $400 I think it was
I have both and would prefer TuneEcu if they get the service reset to happen. Made sence to me to get dealertool as well as local dealer wants about the same price to reset the light and do a ECU sweep even if I do all the other work.
dhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:42 AM   #7065
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,331
The Tigers are doing great

Here are some pics of the Tigers on our trip that is going on right now. Heidenau tires working out like we thought, great! The bikes are handling everything famously. The bikes on the Dempster Highway July 8th 2011. Oh that highway is something else!

soph9 screwed with this post 07-09-2011 at 07:01 AM
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote