Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #7051
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
All the Canadian stations I've seen use the same CLC octane numbers as in the US. So 87 CLC is the lowest.

--mark

This is strange! Why is it different? It clearly says 87 octane in the U.S. manual.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #7052
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
This is strange! Why is it different? It clearly says 87 octane in the U.S. manual.
Probably written something like this... says 91 research method, but lower down clearly states 87 pump octane rating (r+m/2), you just have to RTFM.

this is from my DR650 manual but most of my bike manuals say the same thing.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #7053
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Probably written something like this... says 91 research method, but lower down clearly states 87 pump octane rating (r+m/2), you just have to RTFM.

this is from my DR650 manual but most of my bike manuals say the same thing.
This is a DR manual? This is sure to confuse a hole mess of people. I read through it like 6 times before I saw your comment. I was sooooo confused.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #7054
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,325
Page 44 of Tiger 800 manual, first sentence.

"This Triumph motorcycle is designed to run on unleaded gasoline with a CLC or AKI octane rating (R+M)/2 of 87 or higher."
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #7055
PirateDunk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-town dirt dude View Post
Good shot! How do you find the stock tires in the sand?
The stock tyres are ok but I fancy some heidenhau scouts or something similar. In a straight line the battlewings are fine but corners are where it counts. I let the tyre pressures down to 1 bar and took it easy. The sand was a bit wet which was nice to play on but there were still bits to get bogged. Rode in soft sand dry sand a few weeks before but I tend to find that if you keep the speed on the battlewings will sit on the sand rather than dig in. We finished our trek through the dunes with a race down the beach. Pushed the bike up to 100kph and all felt fine. Suspension on this bike is awesome. I'm in awe of how good it is both on and offroad.
PirateDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #7056
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateDunk View Post
The stock tyres are ok but I fancy some heidenhau scouts or something similar. In a straight line the battlewings are fine but corners are where it counts. I let the tyre pressures down to 1 bar and took it easy. The sand was a bit wet which was nice to play on but there were still bits to get bogged. Rode in soft sand dry sand a few weeks before but I tend to find that if you keep the speed on the battlewings will sit on the sand rather than dig in. We finished our trek through the dunes with a race down the beach. Pushed the bike up to 100kph and all felt fine. Suspension on this bike is awesome. I'm in awe of how good it is both on and offroad.
Hey Pirate! Awesome! Get some knobbies on that thing and let her rip. Love to hear your thoughts once it's fitted with proper tires. You obviously have sand riding skills ...
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #7057
E-town dirt dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Close, but your info is incomplete.

The manual specifies 91 RON octane gas. And this could simply be a difference in the two versions of the owner's manual. The RON method is not used to measure octane in the US. We use what's called the CLC method which is the average of the RON and MON numbers. So the US owner's manual specifically states that 87 octane (by the CLC method) is recommended. In the US that's the lowest grade of fuel available except for some high altitude areas out west.

91 RON is equivalent in octane to 87 CLC.

I thought that 91 RON was the lowest grade available in Canada. Is it not?
Well look at that. You just saved me 10 cents per liter everytime I fill up. Even though it's confusing as hell...thank you for clarifying that. If you're up this way I do believe I owe you a beer. Keep in mind that the Canadian Beer has higher octane ratings than the U.S. beer.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #7058
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,917
I've had my 2012 XC for not quite a month now. I love it but.. it's got a problem...

http://rockiesriders.com/index.php?topic=391.new#new

The dealer says it's the Throttle Position Sensor that caused the idle to stick around 2k rpms. It ran beautifully with that exception. Now, with less than 800 miles on it, it's been in the shop for 2 full days and the dealer is waiting on Triumph to tell them what to do...

Old 07-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #7059
SierraADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Hey guys!

My buddy and I just picked up two new 2012's with black frames. They were hard to find, so when we found dealers with them, we snatched them right up. We did our first adventure ride over the 4th of July weekend up in Auburn and Lake Tahoe.

I ride motocross tracks and trails and this is my first road bike. I enjoyed riding it over the weekend and look forward to many more adventure rides!

If you're in the Bay Area (Northern California) send me a PM.

Here are a few pics. They both look great with the black frame, but the orange bike really stands out well.

SierraADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #7060
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano955 View Post
I've had my 2012 XC for not quite a month now. I love it but.. it's got a problem...

http://rockiesriders.com/index.php?topic=391.new#new

The dealer says it's the Throttle Position Sensor that caused the idle to stick around 2k rpms. It ran beautifully with that exception. Now, with less than 800 miles on it, it's been in the shop for 2 full days and the dealer is waiting on Triumph to tell them what to do...

You are not alone. You are the third or fourth 800 owner who reports some form of idle problem after the first service. What is included on that first service?

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #7061
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
You are not alone. You are the third or fourth 800 owner who reports some form of idle problem after the first service. What is included on that first service?
Lucky me!!!

The first service is an oil change and check of computer codes. I did not have any trouble with the bike until about 650 miles. Then the high idle...

Now it sits in the shop............
Old 07-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #7062
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano955 View Post
Lucky me!!!

The first service is an oil change and check of computer codes. I did not have any trouble with the bike until about 650 miles. Then the high idle...

Now it sits in the shop............
Did they change the code? You mentioned the high idle was ok, but it came out of the first service worse?

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #7063
Burren Rider
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
A few photo's of the new Tiger.

I have pieced together a heap of info here whilst researching the new bike so I figured a build thread was in order now that I have one in the shed.
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:34 AM   #7064
Killboy
Wait, what?

Oddometer: 92
This weekend I bastardised my GPS to fit my bike. Spending another 500 quid on just a waterproof GPS seems silly at the moment... I have a working GPS with all the maps and the like.

So, got the GPS mount from Triumph. Looked at a variety of mounts, and this was the only "OEM" looking mount. The rest stand out too much, and as the bike spends a lot of time on the streets, needed it to look normal. The only thing is, the "car" power supply. I sourced a socket, connected to the battery, and done. I will be sourcing a switched power splitter at some point, but for the upcoming trip, this will do.

The only bastard was to get the window mount to the bike mount. I took the car window mount, unscrewed the TomTom ball joint part, hacksawed the enclosure off, and then spent about an hour ensuring the screw mounts would be deep and flush enough to allow the GPS to slide in and out, while being sturdy.

The pieces

It couldnt be simpler, simply remove one of the brackets on the mirror, and bolt the new one on. I put some grease in, to ensure no rusting or seizing in future.

The workshop :(

Battery connection

The finished setup
Old 07-07-2011, 02:56 AM   #7065
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killboy View Post
This weekend I bastardised my GPS to fit my bike.

Well done on the GPS. It's always good to see others scratching their heads and coming up with a solution.

One bit of security advice. Put your cable lock through a main frame rail. The pillion peg mount where you've got it can easily be hacksawed through to remove the cable and re-welded again for sale. A main frame rail......not so easy.