Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #7081
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulux View Post
STILL waiting on those Motech quick-lock side racks that I ordered back in May.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulux View Post
You're not the only one. My Micatech cases have been ready to ship but they've been waiting for the racks for a month now.
I know Winding Roads in the UK have these in stock and ship to the US.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:27 AM   #7082
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
STILL waiting on those Motech quick-lock side racks that I ordered back in May.
You mean one's like this?....

Sorry, I know that doesn't help but I thought you'd like proof that they do exist.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:13 AM   #7083
Simon Smith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
There would be no need to load a new map at the first service unless the current map in the ECU is outdated/obsolete. Even so, by most/all accounts, the new map is better and corrected some stalling issues that some people were having early on.
Yes the first service cured mine completely of this fault when a later map was installed. I have since had an even later map and it made it even smoother!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #7084
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,133
Prospective XC buyer has some questions...

It is becoming apparent that my 2010 Ducati Multistrada is not quite the bike for me (for various reasons I won't elaborate on now...). If the 800 XC had been available when I purchased the Multi I might well have gone that way.

Anyway...local dealer has a white XC in stock (my preferred color); I put about 50 miles on their demo XC yesterday, and was generally quite impressed. But there are a few issues that concern me:

1. The triple is awfully smooth, and has more than adequate power, but it seemed---to me---like it didn't have a whole lot of character, if you know what I mean. Of course it pales next to the 150 HP Ducati 1198, but I don't mean that. Probably I would rapidly get used to its wonderful linear behavior and smoothness.

2. Part of buying the XC now would be to allow me to still take a summer trip (I'm a professor, and by mid-August my summer is over). For this I need luggage. I'd prefer top-loading side cases plus a top case. From what I see these (and/or their mounting racks) are not in plentiful supply. Is this true?

3. Is pricing at all negotiable? On a bike this new and with this kind of demand, I'd guess not. Still, never hurts to ask... Of course, if I include any dealer-installed options (center stand, etc.) this is more likely to be negotiable.

4. Is a Factory Service Manual available? This looks like a bike on which I could perform virtually all service operations.

Overall, the XC really impressed me. Super stable thru the corners (21" front wheel), non-adjustable forks worked very well for my 145-lb weight, maybe just what I was looking for last spring.

Didn't have a chance to ride any dirt, but I'm confident that it would do better than I would! Most of my dirt riding is 2-track fire roads getting back to backcountry campgrounds, etc.

So thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #7085
Erik1977
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
top loading luggage

Hello Dr Greg.

Hepco&Becker has side carriers for the Tiger's.

http://neu.hepco-becker.de/Montagean...07505.0001.pdf

You can mount all their side cases to them. including top loading one's.

http://neu.hepco-becker.de/Web/Produ...php?language=2

Now i think of it, SW-Motech and Touratech also make things like that.

http://shop.sw-motech.com/lshop,show...r800xc,,,,.htm

http://www.touratech.com/shops/011/i...14097c541a6f08

hope this helps...

cheers!
Erik1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #7086
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
There are also Jesse cases and there is a Triumph Service Manual (I wish BMW had something like that). Not sure whether the Service Manual is already available.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #7087
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. Greg View Post
it is becoming apparent that my 2010 ducati multistrada is not quite the bike for me (for various reasons i won't elaborate on now...). If the 800 xc had been available when i purchased the multi i might well have gone that way.

Anyway...local dealer has a white xc in stock (my preferred color); i put about 50 miles on their demo xc yesterday, and was generally quite impressed. But there are a few issues that concern me:

1. The triple is awfully smooth, and has more than adequate power, but it seemed---to me---like it didn't have a whole lot of character, if you know what i mean. Of course it pales next to the 150 hp ducati 1198, but i don't mean that. Probably i would rapidly get used to its wonderful linear behavior and smoothness.
if you want more 'character' get an after-market can so you can actually hear the engine.

2. Part of buying the xc now would be to allow me to still take a summer trip (i'm a professor, and by mid-august my summer is over). For this i need luggage. I'd prefer top-loading side cases plus a top case. From what i see these (and/or their mounting racks) are not in plentiful supply. Is this true?
they are available.

3. Is pricing at all negotiable? On a bike this new and with this kind of demand, i'd guess not. Still, never hurts to ask... Of course, if i include any dealer-installed options (center stand, etc.) this is more likely to be negotiable.
i got a small discount for paying cash.

4. Is a factory service manual available? This looks like a bike on which i could perform virtually all service operations.
i believe it is yes - i think the jerk has one

overall, the xc really impressed me. Super stable thru the corners (21" front wheel), non-adjustable forks worked very well for my 145-lb weight, maybe just what i was looking for last spring.

Didn't have a chance to ride any dirt, but i'm confident that it would do better than i would! Most of my dirt riding is 2-track fire roads getting back to backcountry campgrounds, etc.

so thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

--doc
hth
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #7088
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
It is becoming apparent that my 2010 Ducati Multistrada is not quite the bike for me (for various reasons I won't elaborate on now...). If the 800 XC had been available when I purchased the Multi I might well have gone that way.

Anyway...local dealer has a white XC in stock (my preferred color); I put about 50 miles on their demo XC yesterday, and was generally quite impressed. But there are a few issues that concern me:

--Doc
DOC!!!!! You turncoat!

Seriously though, I test rode the 800XC and came away very impressed. I've always loved the Tiger 1050 triple and my buddie's STriple, and the 800 is likewise a real gem. I have a quick review of the XC somewhere in this thread that you may want to check out since we're coming from the same place (MTS12).

Re. "no character", my take on the triple is it's smooth, predictable, totally tractable power delivery IS it's character. It's not going to rumble like the big twins, or have the gobs of low-end torque, and certainly won't make all the "fun" rackety-clackety noises of a Desmo'd Duc, but toss an aftermarket pipe on there, and get it into the upper rev range, and it sounds like an angry version of those speeder bikes from the Star Wars movies. So...it has character (IMO), just not "big twin" character.

One last note. You may want to check out the new 2012 WeeStrom too. It looks like a nice package at a fraction of the cost of the XC (leaving more $$ free to farkle! ).

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #7089
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 236
Quote:

1. The triple is awfully smooth, and has more than adequate power, but it seemed---to me---like it didn't have a whole lot of character, if you know what I mean. Of course it pales next to the 150 HP Ducati 1198, but I don't mean that. Probably I would rapidly get used to its wonderful linear behavior and smoothness.

2. Part of buying the XC now would be to allow me to still take a summer trip (I'm a professor, and by mid-August my summer is over). For this I need luggage. I'd prefer top-loading side cases plus a top case. From what I see these (and/or their mounting racks) are not in plentiful supply. Is this true?

3. Is pricing at all negotiable? On a bike this new and with this kind of demand, I'd guess not. Still, never hurts to ask... Of course, if I include any dealer-installed options (center stand, etc.) this is more likely to be negotiable.

4. Is a Factory Service Manual available? This looks like a bike on which I could perform virtually all service operations.

Overall, the XC really impressed me. Super stable thru the corners (21" front wheel), non-adjustable forks worked very well for my 145-lb weight, maybe just what I was looking for last spring.

Didn't have a chance to ride any dirt, but I'm confident that it would do better than I would! Most of my dirt riding is 2-track fire roads getting back to backcountry campgrounds, etc.

So thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

--Doc
I'll brain-spew some reponses for ya Doc...

1. Personally, I think the motor has tremendous character, just very different than that of a twin. If you can't live w/o that whacking great shudder you get from a big twin working hard like a Ducati, Vstrom, or Buell has, then the Triple might never sit with you. IMHO, the 800 triple has a much broader working powerband than any twin I've been on (that said, never ridden a MS). It's amazingly versatile and sounds fantastic when it gets into it's "growl".

2. Stuff is coming quickly. I personally have mine set up with Jesse panniers and a Givi top case. Jesse has a top case too. Good stuff. Sounds like www.twistedthrottle.com is coming online with all the SW Motech stuff. Touratech also has cases ready I believe as does Micatech (but those are side loading I think).

3. Pricing is location specific I reckon. You're getting to a good time of year to maybe do some wheeling and dealing. I wanted mine first thing this spring so I knew I'd basically be paying MSRP... which I did, but got the dealer to drop all shipping and set up fees. I also got about 20% off a big order of accessories. If a dealer has a couple sitting on their floor right now, I'd guess there would be a little dealing to do now. At my dealer, sales and parts are essentially two entities... I worked two different deals, something to think about.

4. Yes, there is a good service manual. It's $100 through the dealer. Pricey, but very handy. The only thing I can't do myself is checking ECU codes or load maps.

Everyone has their own opinions on farkles, but here's a quick rundown on what I'm using and my impressions:
  • Arrow pipe - eh, would probably skip if doing again
  • Jesse Luggage - great stuff (and good people), but probably a little heavier than other options
  • Triumph centerstand - good
  • Triumph bashplate - ok, but I like that the SW Motech reaches up higher over the oil filter. I have a Motech on the way and will probably but my Triumph one in the flea market.
  • Triumph crashbars - great looks and fitment. Others cover more but I think these would work good in a fall... currently untested on mine.
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:27 AM   #7090
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,592
Quote:
1. The triple is awfully smooth, and has more than adequate power, but it seemed---to me---like it didn't have a whole lot of character, if you know what I mean. --Doc
http://www.aerostich.com/bodies-in-motion.html

Interesting read but at times, overly technical. He explores the relationship between rider and bike, and why some bikes "speak" to a rider while another leaves them flat. The last half of the book documents the vibrational aspects of various bikes and how they effect the rider.

It basically comes down to the visceral feel that some of us look for in a motorcycle while others are content to ride luxo-tourers that isolate them from the discomforts of riding. Nothing wrong with either approach, it's still riding!
Old 07-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #7091
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

XC Engine Character

Re the XC engine character: the demo bike HAD an Arrow pipe on it! So much for improving the character...

Seriously, I don't think that's gonna be a show-stopper.

--Doc
Old 07-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #7092
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Re the XC engine character: the demo bike HAD an Arrow pipe on it! So much for improving the character...

Seriously, I don't think that's gonna be a show-stopper.

--Doc
Interesting, in that case I'm really not sure what you are looking for....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 07-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #7093
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Interesting, in that case I'm really not sure what you are looking for....
Well, it indicates that I'm not just sensitive to SOUND. In fact, at my advanced age (almost 64) I don't like loud much. Actually I found the Arrow pipe just a little annoying (no flames, please...I almost can't believe I'm saying that, but...)

A previous post referred to large twin power pulses (or something like that)...since '92 I've ridden: Ducati 900SS, Aprilia Mille, Buell Ulysses, Ducati Multistrada...see any trend there?

To go from those twins with 500-600cc cylinders to an 800cc triple sewing machine is a pretty big jump. Possibly my psyche just needs to get acclimated...

--Doc
Old 07-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #7094
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,535
Quote:
To go from those twins with 500-600cc cylinders to an 800cc triple sewing machine is a pretty big jump. Possibly my psyche just needs to get acclimated...

--Doc
Triples are smooth and if you are used to the torque pulses of a V-twin you may mistake the lack of pulses and vibration for a lack of character. Also, if you are used to large displacement V-twins, you may have not been winding out the motor enough...

I love the triple motor, it has low rpm torque like a V-twin and high rpm revviness (tm) like an inline four.

I'm not looking to try and convert anyone, but I sure like it.
And FWIW, I test rode a couple of 800s and they are very smooth, quiet motors.

The 955s, 885, and 1050 triples I've owned all started to sing about 6k rpm. Put on a decent pipe (if you like) and wind them out a bit, they have plenty of character for me.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #7095
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Well, it indicates that I'm not just sensitive to SOUND. In fact, at my advanced age (almost 64) I don't like loud much. Actually I found the Arrow pipe just a little annoying (no flames, please...I almost can't believe I'm saying that, but...)

A previous post referred to large twin power pulses (or something like that)...since '92 I've ridden: Ducati 900SS, Aprilia Mille, Buell Ulysses, Ducati Multistrada...see any trend there?

--Doc
Could be. Very different engines you list with very different characteristics. I'm the opposite to you, this will be my third Triumph triple and to my mind, they have bags of character and (with a suitable pipe) THE best sounding engine in any bike.

Each to his own.

Good luck on your choice - as I've said before, the best bike in the world is the one you're riding right now....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple