Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #7096
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
Re the XC engine character: the demo bike HAD an Arrow pipe on it! So much for improving the character...

Seriously, I don't think that's gonna be a show-stopper.

--Doc
Get a "Made in Italy" sticker for it.... perhaps that's the "character" your looking for. Add a wind chime to simulare a dry clutch clattter.. for a little additional "character".

Regards, Paul
Old 07-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #7097
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Add a wind chime to simulare a dry clutch clattter.. for a little additional "character".

Regards, Paul
LOL! There's nothing musical about dry clutch chatter....if Doc wants to emulate that, all he needs is a can filled with rocks. But....the MTS12 has a wet clutch, so no worries either way.

Doc, my guess is you may have ridden the demo bike like you rode your MTS, which is in the lower part of the rev range where a big twin shines. For the lil' Tig, think 250cc dirt bike ('cause that's about the size of each piston), and wring it's neck a bit. Below 6k RPM, it really doesn't have much character, but above that.....well, go give it another try and see if your impression changes.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #7098
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano955 View Post
I've had my 2012 XC for not quite a month now. I love it but.. it's got a problem...

http://rockiesriders.com/index.php?topic=391.new#new

The dealer says it's the Throttle Position Sensor that caused the idle to stick around 2k rpms. It ran beautifully with that exception. Now, with less than 800 miles on it, it's been in the shop for 2 full days and the dealer is waiting on Triumph to tell them what to do...

Now on day 4 of sitting in the shop. Still not fixed. I called the dealer today and the service manager said, by direction of Triumph, they've got the throttle bodies off looking for an air leak. The TPS will not stay in adjustment... I'm supposed to get an update later this evening but it aint lookin' good to me. It's been in the shop for twice the amount of time I've actually ridden the thing!
Old 07-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #7099
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,497
Quote:
Re the XC engine character: the demo bike HAD an Arrow pipe on it! So much for improving the character...

Seriously, I don't think that's gonna be a show-stopper.

--Doc
Did you take it up to 8000rpm? I haven't even ridden a Tiger 800 yet, but that's where Jodie's Street Triple starts to howl and is definitely in it's FUN zone.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:45 PM   #7100
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
Doc, if it is a twin with pistons the size of paint cans you relish, better get a new Thunderbird
I just sat on one of the XCs tonight at Spitzies in Albany NY, and I would need to get the handlebars back and up a bit for my arms. The windscreen with the creases in it sure looks weird, but I guess it is functional. Overall, I don't think any adventure bike will be winning any beauty contests, although the red MS is pretty sharp (and the orange XC really catches my eye). Spitzies has a roadie and an XC on the floor, but their shop is about 90% Hardleys (most of which is white trash clothing and bottle openers), with only a small part of the floor dedicated to the Triumphs. They did have a red Street or Speed Triple (sorry, can't remember shit anymore) that would have me parting with my driver's license in very short order! By the time I retire and buy my Tiger, they should have all of these software issues ironed out, and the aftermarket supplies should only be getting better. As good as it is right now, I think it can only get better in the future.
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #7101
dhula
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomx971 View Post
I'll brain-spew some reponses for ya Doc...
4. Yes, there is a good service manual. It's $100 through the dealer. Pricey, but very handy.
There is also another one for about $45 depending on which part of the world you live in. Difference is postage, From memory the book is about $30. Comparing OEM with this one there is no difference I can see so far but I haven't compared the whole book yet. I recommend getting the $45 special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomx971 View Post
The only thing I can't do myself is checking ECU codes or load maps.
TuneEcu will do all but the reseting of the service indicator. My guess is that this function may be available soon, but it isn't yet. SW is free (or donation to developer if you feel) and cable which I paid $13 delivered for
Dealertool will do the codes, tests, assist with bleeding the ABS brakes (TuneEcu doesn't ahve this function AFAIK) if you get them and is capable of reseting the service indicator as at the latest upgrade, it will not delve into the maps tho. Cost is about $140 depending on where you live in the world but is only good for one bike, extra keys (one per bike is needed) are available for about $50 or you can get dealertool and a open key so you can work on as many bikes as you want for about $400 I think it was
I have both and would prefer TuneEcu if they get the service reset to happen. Made sence to me to get dealertool as well as local dealer wants about the same price to reset the light and do a ECU sweep even if I do all the other work.
dhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:42 AM   #7102
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
The Tigers are doing great

Here are some pics of the Tigers on our trip that is going on right now. Heidenau tires working out like we thought, great! The bikes are handling everything famously. The bikes on the Dempster Highway July 8th 2011. Oh that highway is something else!

soph9 screwed with this post 07-09-2011 at 07:01 AM
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:59 AM   #7103
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
A must Fork Seal Protectors

Doing a trip like this protecting your seals is so important. Doing
any off road in my opinion your bike can use seal protectors and these are working our great. All you have to do is rinse them once in awhile and put them back on!

soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #7104
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,687
Quote:
It is becoming apparent that my 2010 Ducati Multistrada is not quite the bike for me (for various reasons I won't elaborate on now...). If the 800 XC had been available when I purchased the Multi I might well have gone that way.

Anyway...local dealer has a white XC in stock (my preferred color); I put about 50 miles on their demo XC yesterday, and was generally quite impressed. But there are a few issues that concern me:

1. The triple is awfully smooth, and has more than adequate power, but it seemed---to me---like it didn't have a whole lot of character, if you know what I mean. Of course it pales next to the 150 HP Ducati 1198, but I don't mean that. Probably I would rapidly get used to its wonderful linear behavior and smoothness.

--Doc
I've tested both of these bikes. And I own one of them. I understand the character issue. When I tested the Ducati, well, it was a visceral experience. The motor has that happy range where it delivers its magic. In a relaxed mode riding, you enter a curve in the middle of that magic range, you engine brake it to the apex and from there it effortlessly and with great sound and the right vibration accelerate you out of the corner. Rinse and repeat and it is a great experience. When passing a car, that motor catapults you past it. I liked it a lot. I like motors with a clear range where everything happens and you know exactly where it is by the sound and the experience it brings you.

However, when I tested that bike, I got to 125mph in a blink of an eye. Scary. I though about my driver's license and what else could I lose. Also, the bike did not do the simple things, such as cruising or riding about town, or just riding in slow speeds when that is needed, well enough for the price of it, and considering it should operate in four modes. It did not in my opinion. The engine was really loopy in slow speeds. I hear some fuel mapping may have helped it on the 2011's.

The other thing about the Ducati is that it looks a bit too "urban" to me. I'm more into bikes that are rough on the edges...

Anyway, I may one day consider a Ducati MTS. It is one great bike.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 07-09-2011 at 07:32 AM
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #7105
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Doing a trip like this protecting your seals is so important. Doing
any off road in my opinion your bike can use seal protectors and these are working our great. All you have to do is rinse them once in awhile and put them back on!

Hey, did you guys ever figure out what the grinding sound was on your bikes?
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #7106
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Doc - The stock sidecases DO leave much to be desired. Adequate, but by no means stellar. Happy Trails - Motech & other rack systems are now available. TraX, Holans, Jessies and other side cases are also now on market that should fit 800. Since you and I are both 'lightweights' - the little Tiger is a very capable long distance tourer for us. I kept my 'Girlie' tiger, but after 3k mi I realized, I really dont need another machine. The XC is a "do all" beast for our kind. Power wise it's no Duc' - but entirely adequate for how I use it & plenty to get around the 18 wheelers. (Like the Uly,I got a fast black 800) I would strongly recommend the lower gel seat & adding 20mm risers. We'll never flat foot 'em but I can get the first 4" of my boots down & risers make the ergo's much more comfy. (the stock handlebar position is odd & tireing for long distances - need to play with that a bit to find the sweet spot) Otherwise the XC fits the 'dualsport' nature of tarmac comfortable & dirt road capable, quite well. I dumped the "deathwings" & replaced with K60's - done about 500 mi of dirt - good compromise tire & suits the bike / conditions, for most the roads I travel. So...question is: how will these things be 50,000 mi down the road. If previous editions of tigers are any indication, I expect the 800 will be splendid for the 'long haul'. Toodles, j
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #7107
Daytonacharlie
2 Wheeled Backpacker

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Hey, did you guys ever figure out what the grinding sound was on your bikes?

I think this is the answer to your question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
In my post from Dawson City I mentioned a guy by the name of Pierre Luke having a look at our bikes. He noticed both rear tires and the axles not aligned with the frame. It was obvious when looking really closely at the tires that they were turning a little inwards to the right when looking from the rear. He loosened up the axle bolt, readjusted the chains which were not too bad, straightened out both axles and tightened everything back up.

Yesterday we both heard no rubbing, no noise, no vibrations. So, it appears the mystery is solved and it was an alignment issue. Not blaming anyone but I wonder ow this happened? Maybe we ride the same and loosened up on our travels?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post16352757
One third of a gopher would only arouse my appetite without bedding it down.
Daytonacharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #7108
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Also, the bike did not do the simple things, such as cruising or riding about town, or just riding in slow speeds when that is needed, well enough for the price of it, and considering it should operate in four modes. It did not in my opinion. The engine was really loopy in slow speeds. I hear some fuel mapping may have helped it on the 2011's.
Not to jack this thread, but did you ride around town in Urban mode? I've put a bit over 4000 miles on my MTS12 since Feb and it will puttputt around town at 25mph in 1st or 2nd gear all day long. It's one of the things I love about it. Approach the freeway ramp, switch to Touring or Sport, and enter the fray at warp speed.

Of course, one of the things I found endearing on the lil' Tigger was it could puttputt around town in nearly ANY gear! In fact in first gear, you don't even need to use the throttle....it will just idle you through town. That same heavy flywheel effect means a longer spin-up (i.e. slower rev'ing), but once above 5-6k RPM, she'll still get up and go pretty well. Very impressive!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #7109
3Putt
Is that a gimmie?

Oddometer: 626
Is the Adventure tank bag as big as it looks?

2014 Super Tenere

3Putt screwed with this post 07-09-2011 at 01:13 PM
3Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #7110
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,158
Well howdy there, John! I appreciate all your comments; I'm still in a quandary as to what to do. Whenever I get another bike it takes quite a while to get all the ancillary stuff (special tools, more knowledge, etc.). I'm finding as I get older I am more and more resistant to change.

But some things need to change. I've really enjoyed my 16,000 miles on the two Multistrada 1200s, but it's been a little hard on my poor ol' body. Not to mention the bike(s)...

--Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
Doc - The stock sidecases DO leave much to be desired. Adequate, but by no means stellar. Happy Trails - Motech & other rack systems are now available. TraX, Holans, Jessies and other side cases are also now on market that should fit 800. Since you and I are both 'lightweights' - the little Tiger is a very capable long distance tourer for us. I kept my 'Girlie' tiger, but after 3k mi I realized, I really dont need another machine. The XC is a "do all" beast for our kind. Power wise it's no Duc' - but entirely adequate for how I use it & plenty to get around the 18 wheelers. (Like the Uly,I got a fast black 800) I would strongly recommend the lower gel seat & adding 20mm risers. We'll never flat foot 'em but I can get the first 4" of my boots down & risers make the ergo's much more comfy. (the stock handlebar position is odd & tireing for long distances - need to play with that a bit to find the sweet spot) Otherwise the XC fits the 'dualsport' nature of tarmac comfortable & dirt road capable, quite well. I dumped the "deathwings" & replaced with K60's - done about 500 mi of dirt - good compromise tire & suits the bike / conditions, for most the roads I travel. So...question is: how will these things be 50,000 mi down the road. If previous editions of tigers are any indication, I expect the 800 will be splendid for the 'long haul'. Toodles, j
Isa. 58:14 (KJV)
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
1992 Ducati 900SS (looker)
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote