Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2011, 07:27 AM   #7141
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,140
Next up, center stand....so what choices do we have for center stand. I've not heard good things about the Triumph stand ? Twisted Throttle show a SW Motech one but ONLY for Canadian bikes due to the charcoal canister so will they/are they coming out with a revised version to deal with the canister ?

What else is there - Hepco ? Anybody tried a Hepco ?

Thanks...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:35 AM   #7142
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,619
Nothing wrong with the Triumph center stand. Been working great for me and I use it all the time. Bit of a pain to install but other than that it's fine.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #7143
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Nothing wrong with the Triumph center stand. Been working great for me and I use it all the time. Bit of a pain to install but other than that it's fine.

second that. Works fine for me.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:37 AM   #7144
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Do you take the bike off road Mr Jerk ? I thought I read in this thread that it clacks something chronic off-road ? I guess there's nothing to stop me tying it up while I'm off-road I guess.

Is there a way to search just THIS thread ? Lots of good info in here but boy it's long...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 07-12-2011, 07:55 AM   #7145
Andylaser
Heavy Metal

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Just looking at the H&B tank guard and I don't think you can use it and the Triumph accessory lights together. Either or

I beg to differ. But it looks like they go together really well.

OLD SKOOL HEAVY METAL
Andylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #7146
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Do you take the bike off road Mr Jerk ? I thought I read in this thread that it clacks something chronic off-road ? I guess there's nothing to stop me tying it up while I'm off-road I guess.

Is there a way to search just THIS thread ? Lots of good info in here but boy it's long...

i use double sided velcro to tie mine up when i am offroad. i would do this with any center stand not for the fact of rattle but for my own peice of mind knowing that it wont catch something, altough it does kill two birds with one stone... i think that its crazy to think something wont rattle when your offroad.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:14 AM   #7147
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andylaser View Post
I beg to differ. But it looks like they go together really well.

I do like the look of those guards. I've never bought bars like this before, does H&B have a good rep do you know ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 07-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #7148
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
i use double sided velcro to tie mine up when i am offroad. i would do this with any center stand not for the fact of rattle but for my own peice of mind knowing that it wont catch something, altough it does kill two birds with one stone... i think that its crazy to think something wont rattle when your offroad.
Totally agree (as I found out on Sunday ). Bikes rattle like crazy when they are bouncing around and it's just what happens, I thought I had read on here that they actually fell down completely ? Do you have the Triumph stand or another brand ?

Thanks....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 07-12-2011, 08:17 AM   #7149
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
As shown on this video of my bike posted earlier here, the "chronic" noise is not coming from the center stand. Because I don't have one installed on this bike.

Check minutes 0:39 2:05, 2:35, 3:06 to hear it.

Someone pointed out to floating calipers on the front, and chain guard on the back as sources for this sound.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #7150
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
As shown on this video of my bike posted earlier here, the "chronic" noise is not coming from the center stand. Because I don't have one installed on this bike.

Check minutes 0:39 2:05, 2:35, 3:06 to hear it.

Someone pointed out to floating calipers on the front, and chain guard on the back as sources for this sound.
Great vid Lion - I wish we had more of those type of roads out here in NE....

How did you mount your GPS (by the speedo) and what is the little bag on the bars and how is that mounted ?

Thanks...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 07-12-2011, 08:38 AM   #7151
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,749
Quote:
Well, that puts that one to bed.

I still think it's the chain slapping the plastic swingarm guards but it'll be difficult to prove since we can't ride without a chain.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #7152
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,881
Quote:
Great vid Lion - I wish we had more of those type of roads out here in NE....

How did you mount your GPS (by the speedo) and what is the little bag on the bars and how is that mounted ?

Thanks...

I used two ram mounts, in tandem, on the base for the windscreen.

On this picture you can see the two arms of the ram mounts leading to the two GPSs.

The box is a cheap camera bag. I created a wooden base (3/8's laminate) for it, I installed four pins (screws) in it that match the indentation of the four handlebar bolts. Then I attached the camera bag to the wood base with zipties to the handlebars, going through the wooden base, pressing it into againsty the four indentations. It doesn't move. I don't like tank bags...

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #7153
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
I used two ram mounts, in tandem, on the base for the windscreen.

On this picture you can see the two arms of the ram mounts leading to the two GPSs.

The box is a cheap camera bag. I created a wooden base (3/8's laminate) for it, I installed four pins (screws) in it that match the indentation of the four handlebar bolts. Then I attached the camera bag to the wood base with zipties to the handlebars, going through the wooden base, pressing it into againsty the four indentations. It doesn't move. I don't like tank bags...

Thanks a lot - I too am not super keen on tank bags so I might look more into that idea.

Super colo(u)r
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 07-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #7154
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Totally agree (as I found out on Sunday ). Bikes rattle like crazy when they are bouncing around and it's just what happens, I thought I had read on here that they actually fell down completely ? Do you have the Triumph stand or another brand ?

Thanks....
I was complaining in this thread about my Triumph center stand, which did sag down on my ride home from the dealer after taking delivery. The springs came off completely and I had to stop and get some tall grass to tie it up to the frame. Dealer installed a new kit under warranty and it now works fine, no complaints. I have no idea what the problem with the first one was. I really felt like the springs were weak or stretched, but since the dealer insisted on installing a whole new kit, I figured it must be something else, like possibly a bad S bracket or S bracket pivot.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:15 AM   #7155
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
I was complaining in this thread about my Triumph center stand, which did sag down on my ride home from the dealer after taking delivery. The springs came off completely and I had to stop and get some tall grass to tie it up to the frame. Dealer installed a new kit under warranty and it now works fine, no complaints. I have no idea what the problem with the first one was. I really felt like the springs were weak or stretched, but since the dealer insisted on installing a whole new kit, I figured it must be something else, like possibly a bad S bracket or S bracket pivot.
Many thanks for the update, so it seems it may have been an isolated incident with your original stand for whatever reason.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple