Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #7186
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
i use double sided velcro to tie mine up when i am offroad. i would do this with any center stand not for the fact of rattle but for my own peice of mind knowing that it wont catch something, altough it does kill two birds with one stone... i think that its crazy to think something wont rattle when your offroad.
As shown on this video of my bike posted earlier here, the "chronic" noise is not coming from the center stand. Because I don't have one installed on this bike.

Check minutes 0:39 2:05, 2:35, 3:06 to hear it.

Someone pointed out to floating calipers on the front, and chain guard on the back as sources for this sound.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:20 AM   #7187
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
As shown on this video of my bike posted earlier here, the "chronic" noise is not coming from the center stand. Because I don't have one installed on this bike.

Check minutes 0:39 2:05, 2:35, 3:06 to hear it.

Someone pointed out to floating calipers on the front, and chain guard on the back as sources for this sound.
Great vid Lion - I wish we had more of those type of roads out here in NE....

How did you mount your GPS (by the speedo) and what is the little bag on the bars and how is that mounted ?

Thanks...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #7188
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Well, that puts that one to bed.

I still think it's the chain slapping the plastic swingarm guards but it'll be difficult to prove since we can't ride without a chain.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:43 AM   #7189
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Great vid Lion - I wish we had more of those type of roads out here in NE....

How did you mount your GPS (by the speedo) and what is the little bag on the bars and how is that mounted ?

Thanks...

I used two ram mounts, in tandem, on the base for the windscreen.

On this picture you can see the two arms of the ram mounts leading to the two GPSs.

The box is a cheap camera bag. I created a wooden base (3/8's laminate) for it, I installed four pins (screws) in it that match the indentation of the four handlebar bolts. Then I attached the camera bag to the wood base with zipties to the handlebars, going through the wooden base, pressing it into againsty the four indentations. It doesn't move. I don't like tank bags...

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #7190
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
I used two ram mounts, in tandem, on the base for the windscreen.

On this picture you can see the two arms of the ram mounts leading to the two GPSs.

The box is a cheap camera bag. I created a wooden base (3/8's laminate) for it, I installed four pins (screws) in it that match the indentation of the four handlebar bolts. Then I attached the camera bag to the wood base with zipties to the handlebars, going through the wooden base, pressing it into againsty the four indentations. It doesn't move. I don't like tank bags...

Thanks a lot - I too am not super keen on tank bags so I might look more into that idea.

Super colo(u)r
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 07-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #7191
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Totally agree (as I found out on Sunday ). Bikes rattle like crazy when they are bouncing around and it's just what happens, I thought I had read on here that they actually fell down completely ? Do you have the Triumph stand or another brand ?

Thanks....
I was complaining in this thread about my Triumph center stand, which did sag down on my ride home from the dealer after taking delivery. The springs came off completely and I had to stop and get some tall grass to tie it up to the frame. Dealer installed a new kit under warranty and it now works fine, no complaints. I have no idea what the problem with the first one was. I really felt like the springs were weak or stretched, but since the dealer insisted on installing a whole new kit, I figured it must be something else, like possibly a bad S bracket or S bracket pivot.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #7192
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
I was complaining in this thread about my Triumph center stand, which did sag down on my ride home from the dealer after taking delivery. The springs came off completely and I had to stop and get some tall grass to tie it up to the frame. Dealer installed a new kit under warranty and it now works fine, no complaints. I have no idea what the problem with the first one was. I really felt like the springs were weak or stretched, but since the dealer insisted on installing a whole new kit, I figured it must be something else, like possibly a bad S bracket or S bracket pivot.
Many thanks for the update, so it seems it may have been an isolated incident with your original stand for whatever reason.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 07-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #7193
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
I do like the look of those guards. I've never bought bars like this before, does H&B have a good rep do you know ?
Thanks to a truck trying to kill me, I bounced mine off a Toyota and they held up really well on my BMW. Very beefy bars and well coated. I'd buy HB stuff again in a heartbeat.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #7194
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Well, that puts that one to bed.

I still think it's the chain slapping the plastic swingarm guards but it'll be difficult to prove since we can't ride without a chain.
I now agree that it's chain slap. I've been one of the chronic complainers of clacking when riding off road. I have the Triumph centerstand, it fits and works great. I do have a small strap that I tie it up with for piece of mind but I don't think it's actually causing any noise. I spent a bunch of time riding up and down the lane to my house with no helmet and leaned over the bike. I could ride with my hand on the centerstand and sidestand and confirmed that they are not the noise-makers. While leaned over, it does look like it's the chain. Just flicking the chain in the shop you can hear that it would clack pretty loud against the slider. Triumph has a pretty complex looking multi-piece chain slider on there that I would have guessed was designed to quiet the chain noise... doesn't seem like it works to me.
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #7195
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

ECU tunes and stalling

I'm watching all the post on the stalling issues closely, that's really too bad that it does seem to be growing into more than just a very random problem and there isn't a clear cause or cure. Also interesting that none of the mag or 'net tests ever mentioned getting a bike exhibiting any of the issues.

My '11 800XC-ABS has ran well from day one luckily. At around 800 miles I put on the Arrow pipe and had that map installed.

FWIW, I did have the bike die unexplainably very early on, migh have had 100 miles on it. Pulled clutch in for a stop and it just died. That's only happened once. I've also had it stall maybe twice when doing a U-turn or something while slipping the clutch and "blipping" the throttle a little, like you would a two stroke... it doesn't seem to like that much. Like others have said, to me the idle is a bit on the rough side compared to the overall smoothness of the engine.

Regarding throttle response. When the bike had the stock pipe and original map, I agree, it was borderline twitchy. For me, the Arrow pipe and map really softened the response. I was actually a little put off by the softness of the response down low with the Arrow pipe/map and strongly considered going back to stock... however, after riding the bike off road with the pipe and map, it really worked well, so planning to leave it, at least for now.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #7196
Andylaser
Heavy Metal

Oddometer: 996
Quote:
I do like the look of those guards. I've never bought bars like this before, does H&B have a good rep do you know ?
I hope they are good, as I have a set on order for my bike.
I havent heard anything bad about H&B and usually, anything from Germany has to pass a lot of TUV (approval) tests and is generally pretty good.

OLD SKOOL HEAVY METAL
Andylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #7197
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
Another source of clacking (It was a big deal in Parallel universe) are the brake rotors. They are two piece with rivets holding the outer to the inners. They are designed to flex, but some can be noisy until the rivets get filled with dirt and grime. To test the theory some inmates even zipped tied the rotors at the connecting point and their noise went away.
Just shows how anal we can be
Old 07-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #7198
3Putt
Is that a gimmie?

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Another source of clacking (It was a big deal in Parallel universe) are the brake rotors. They are two piece with rivets holding the outer to the inners. They are designed to flex, but some can be noisy until the rivets get filled with dirt and grime. To test the theory some inmates even zipped tied the rotors at the connecting point and their noise went away.
Just shows how anal we can be
Is this what I'm feeling? I discover this when I forgot to use any rear brake. When I'm rolling to a stop, say 5 or 10mph and I apply enough brake for the nose to dive, I hear a clank and feel a moderate thump on the bars.

2014 Super Tenere
3Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #7199
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Putt View Post
Is this what I'm feeling? I discover this when I forgot to use any rear brake. When I'm rolling to a stop, say 5 or 10mph and I apply enough brake for the nose to dive, I hear a clank and feel a moderate thump on the bars.
I don't think that's what that is... other's have complained of a similar symptom and a few have made head bearing adjustments to fix. Early on, mine did it but hasn't lately. I've checked the head bearings once I got the centerstand put on it and they feel fine doing the fork shake test. One inmate noted that to fix his, they had to put a washer under the nut on top of the top triple clamp (it currently does not have one there).
Old 07-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #7200
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Putt View Post
Mine does this as well.

No fat chicks, fender will scrape.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote