ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > British Beasts: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 07:02 AM   #7321
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding
 
Lion BR's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 4,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
I believe this assembly is made by Keihin; sounds like Triumph received a batch of faulty parts.

I hope your replacement part comes in soon!

--mark
I think the jury is still out about what causes this problem. If it is the Keihin assembly, hopefully it is only a batch, like you say, because although some bikes have this problem right away, some bikes do not develop the problem until later on.
__________________
Whenever we are riding, we are an ambassador to our sport

I'd rather be riding!


Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #7322
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: SW Florida
Oddometer: 2,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano955 View Post
July 19, 2011

I got a call from Foothills BMW Triumph, where my bike is being serviced, last Thursday with an update. Triumph has determined by way of their ability to access my bike's ECU via the internet that it needs a new throttle body assembly. The throttle position sensor will not stay in adjustment and one other part that I can't remember is affected as well. All of these parts are grouped into the throttle body assembly and therefore, mine needs to be replaced. The service manager could not give me a date when the part would arrive. He said sometimes parts from the UK get caught up in customs and it takes longer to get them. Not sure what to think about that. It seems to me that Triumph could put the assembly into a box and FedEx or DHL the thing over night if they cared to.

They don't seem to care to.

I'm in a pickle and can't ride my motorcicle....
You don't seem to understand thta even FedEX & DHL need to deal with Customs, there's no way around that.

Sorry to hear of you issue but it will be resolved, Relax, all will be well soon. On the bright side, at least Triumph acknowledges the problem and will have a fix. Not all mfg. have this integrity.

Regards, Paul
__________________
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." - Steve McQueen
Roadscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:34 AM   #7323
TinyBear
Studly Adventurer
 
TinyBear's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Oddometer: 541
My brother thinking bout getting a tiger 800. But had some questions I have not found aswers too yet. What is the engines compression ratio and can it run 87 octane fuel.
__________________
2014 Victory Vegas 8-Ball
2008 Suzuki DR650SE
TinyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #7324
Evomx971
Defrosting in NM
 
Evomx971's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Iowa
Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano955 View Post
I'm in a pickle and can't ride my motorcicle....
Deano, absolutely keep us updated on where this goes. We're all pulling for you of course!
__________________
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." ~ A. Lincoln
'11 Triumph 800XC ABS / '94 Honda XR650L / '06 Yamaha YZ125
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsor: Motorex
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #7325
Evomx971
Defrosting in NM
 
Evomx971's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Iowa
Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulux View Post
Crashing sucks. There's nothing worse than seeing your wonderful bike sparking and skidding away from you. Photos here.
Sorry to hear about your low-side, glad you weren't seriously hurt and the damage is largely cosmetic... I was stoked to see my "cutting board" rear rack mod used by another inmate in your pics though

One positive on panniers or pannier racks is that they can act as crash guards for the rear (read: passenger peg mounts) of the bike.
__________________
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." ~ A. Lincoln
'11 Triumph 800XC ABS / '94 Honda XR650L / '06 Yamaha YZ125
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsor: Motorex
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #7326
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!
 
The Jerk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Oddometer: 2,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyBear View Post
My brother thinking bout getting a tiger 800. But had some questions I have not found aswers too yet. What is the engines compression ratio and can it run 87 octane fuel.
Compression ratio, who knows/cares, prob around 12:1 or so. Yes it is spec'ed to run on 87 octane gas in the US. Go back a couple pages; this was recently discussed at length.
__________________
2000 Kawasaki W650
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:28 AM   #7327
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 13,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Compression ratio, who knows/cares, prob around 12:1 or so. Yes it is spec'ed to run on 87 octane gas in the US. Go back a couple pages; this was recently discussed at length.
I only ride bike with a 13.1:1 ratio. No more no less.
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #7328
Evomx971
Defrosting in NM
 
Evomx971's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Iowa
Oddometer: 293
Acerbis mud flap mount

I really liked the Acerbis mud flap mod you guys have been doing so got one. Quick question before I jump into it... to get to the inside of the airbox/inner fender area where you mount the mud flap, will I need to take out anything more than the battery? Any other gotcha's in the install? I haven't really gotten very deep in the bike yet...
__________________
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." ~ A. Lincoln
'11 Triumph 800XC ABS / '94 Honda XR650L / '06 Yamaha YZ125
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsor: Motorex
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #7329
av_mech
Risk Taker
 
av_mech's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Boise, ID
Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomx971 View Post
I really liked the Acerbis mud flap mod you guys have been doing so got one. Quick question before I jump into it... to get to the inside of the airbox/inner fender area where you mount the mud flap, will I need to take out anything more than the battery? Any other gotcha's in the install? I haven't really gotten very deep in the bike yet...

I have the mud flap sitting on my work bench to be installed too. I heard somebody say "Watch out for WIRES when you drill!" I wont be able to confirm on my one day off cause I'm going riding!!!
__________________
2011 Triumph 800 XC
2007 Honda CRF 250X
1994 Kawasaki KLX 650R

THE ADVENTURES OF TYSON AND HOBBES
THE BACKCOUNTRY PURSUIT- Boise, Idaho's consignment specialist for ADV gear!
av_mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #7330
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
I think the jury is still out about what causes this problem. If it is the Keihin assembly, hopefully it is only a batch, like you say, because although some bikes have this problem right away, some bikes do not develop the problem until later on.
True, and some bikes don't. Coming up on 10,000 miles on mine, and never so much as a hint of the problem.

YMMV...

--mark
__________________
'11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '03 Honda XR650L / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #7331
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by av_mech View Post
I have the mud flap sitting on my work bench to be installed too. I heard somebody say "Watch out for WIRES when you drill!" I wont be able to confirm on my one day off cause I'm going riding!!!
I have mine ready to install also so I'm curious about this too. It seems from a very very quick eyeball that you need to trim the flap to make it fit
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #7332
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
Oddometer: 2,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
I think the jury is still out about what causes this problem. If it is the Keihin assembly, hopefully it is only a batch, like you say, because although some bikes have this problem right away, some bikes do not develop the problem until later on.
I wonder if the tooling/manufacture of these parts had to move as a result of the tsunami and following nuclear disaster in Japan (I know some Keihin plants were impacted), and maybe the new plant doesn't have the same quality levels (yet) as the old one (different staff, different tooling, etc.).

I only suggest this because a throttle body is a REALLY odd part to be focusing on for a stalling issue, yet that seems to be where the focus is right now (both at the dealers and at Triumph corporate). It could also explain why the issue is somewhat random: Good parts from the "old" plant got into some bikes, and good parts from the new plant got into others. The rest of you got "suspect" parts.

I realize this is all just mental masturbation as it doesn't resolve the problems folks are having with their new toys, but it may help explain it.....

-SM
__________________
aka NoVector
Current: 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Gone: Ducati Multistrada, Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW R1200GS, BMW F650 GS Dakar, KTM 520 EXC, Suzuki DRZ400E, and the list goes on.......
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #7333
Sharkguy
chain lube applier
 
Sharkguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Ocoee, FL (downtown BFE)
Oddometer: 206
Romulux, crashin indeed sucks. At least you are ok. I'm wondering if the sidestand was to blame. I read a report on Hell For Leather how one of the authors crashed an 800 because of it digging in. Appearently the XC is a bit taller and probably not as issue. The standard model is a different story. Could it have dug in and caused your fall from grace? It didn't happen on the way to the airport after exiting west I94 did it? I'm orignially for Battle Creek and have made that trip to the airport where after exiting the interstate you have to turn right on a side street and then pull a U to get to the airport access road. Stupid road design.
Sharkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #7334
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I wonder if the tooling/manufacture of these parts had to move as a result of the tsunami and following nuclear disaster in Japan (I know some Keihin plants were impacted), and maybe the new plant doesn't have the same quality levels (yet) as the old one (different staff, different tooling, etc.).

I only suggest this because a throttle body is a REALLY odd part to be focusing on for a stalling issue, yet that seems to be where the focus is right now (both at the dealers and at Triumph corporate). It could also explain why the issue is somewhat random: Good parts from the "old" plant got into some bikes, and good parts from the new plant got into others. The rest of you got "suspect" parts.
I think you make a very valid point. Interruption of production do to this massive disaster is likely to have carry on affects for years. A change of supplier or production interruption could easily be a source of trouble.

Many are saying the ECU says Keihin on it. But are you SURE it's made by Keihin? Last I checked they don't make electronic devices. Most Japanese bikes with F.I. have been using Mitsubishi ECU's. Both my Honda and 2 Vstroms had Mitsubishi units ... and ALL used Keihin F.I. systems.

Not that this is the problem ... but could be? Throttle bodies are pretty basic mechanically. They have a couple flappers controlled by servo motors from signals from the ECU and throttle cables. The TPS plays into this mix too.

If someone ever gets a chance to actually pull out the ECU, unplug it and look it over for a label, I'd be interested who makes it.

Has anyone with these problems tried unplugging the battery to re-set the ECU ... or the 15 minutes of idling some systems require to re-set the system? Just curious. Some KTM and BMW riders have had success doing this.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #7335
Romulux
Next exit
 
Romulux's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkguy View Post
Romulux, crashin indeed sucks. At least you are ok. I'm wondering if the sidestand was to blame. I read a report on Hell For Leather how one of the authors crashed an 800 because of it digging in. Appearently the XC is a bit taller and probably not as issue. The standard model is a different story. Could it have dug in and caused your fall from grace? It didn't happen on the way to the airport after exiting west I94 did it? I'm orignially for Battle Creek and have made that trip to the airport where after exiting the interstate you have to turn right on a side street and then pull a U to get to the airport access road. Stupid road design.
Hmmm...interesting theory but I have no way of knowing. I'm much more inclined to believe it was entirely my fault. The ride to work isn't that long, so tires (which aren't sport tires) weren't sufficiently warm, air temperature was in the 60s so the road wasn't warm, and the edges of my tires are like-new. You can see the edges of the tire surfaces look like they're scuffed where I believe they initiated the slide.

As to location, you're exactly right, which is uncanny. Exiting I-94 you cross Portage Road on Kilgore (not allowed to make left turns at the Portage/Kilgore intersection), do a U-turn to travel the opposite direction on Kilgore, then turn right onto Portage which takes you to the airport.
Romulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015