Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2011, 12:40 AM   #7381
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Many are saying the ECU says Keihin on it. But are you SURE it's made by Keihin? Last I checked they don't make electronic devices. Most Japanese bikes with F.I. have been using Mitsubishi ECU's. Both my Honda and 2 Vstroms had Mitsubishi units ... and ALL used Keihin F.I. systems.
I pulled out my ECU to get underneath to install my mudflap, above. The only label I saw on it has KEIHIN in big letters on it. I'm assuming it's made by Keihin.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:32 AM   #7382
Killboy
Wait, what?

Oddometer: 92
Recently did a big Euro tour. Ride report and pics coming soon.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:46 AM   #7383
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killboy View Post

Old 07-21-2011, 04:37 AM   #7384
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Yes, I trimmed mine to the shape of the airbox as you can see in the photo comparing the clean and dirty bits.
Take the battery out and all will be revealed. I actually found it was beneficial to pull out the ECU as well.
Thanks, very helpful
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #7385
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,886
Quote:

Nice looking Tigger! I think mine looks a lot like that. Haven't seen it in 3 weeks now...

Post a link to your ride report 'eh?
Save $5 off your smugmug account with this coupon( 1qoLJk8tfsGWM )
Deano955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:54 AM   #7386
sandgroper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,615
Quote:

G'day
Look forward seeing it.
ed
sandgroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:53 AM   #7387
Guldur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
PalmerProducts Windshield

Here is it, a lot quieter and nicer than the stock one. This is the medium one, Large is for people above 5'8" in my opinion.
http://www.palmerproducts.co.uk/

http://www.pastaga.be/palmer1.jpg
http://www.pastaga.be/palmer2.jpg
http://www.pastaga.be/palmer3.jpg
http://www.pastaga.be/palmer4.jpg
http://www.pastaga.be/palmer5.jpg
http://www.pastaga.be/palmer6.jpg
Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:28 AM   #7388
Killboy
Wait, what?

Oddometer: 92
Our ride report for the Euro Tour of the Tiger and GS.

Clicky
Old 07-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #7389
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkguy View Post
Romulux, crashin indeed sucks. At least you are ok. I'm wondering if the sidestand was to blame. I read a report on Hell For Leather how one of the authors crashed an 800 because of it digging in. Appearently the XC is a bit taller and probably not as issue. The standard model is a different story. Could it have dug in and caused your fall from grace? It didn't happen on the way to the airport after exiting west I94 did it? I'm orignially for Battle Creek and have made that trip to the airport where after exiting the interstate you have to turn right on a side street and then pull a U to get to the airport access road. Stupid road design.
I doubt it. I've had the tigger draggin peg (as have others I'm sure) with zero issues related to the center stand. The corners of my pegs are scratched and not a sign of rubbing on the center stand.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #7390
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep View Post
I will take delivery of a new White Road model with ABS sometime in the next 10 days or so. Can't wait. I was wrestling with pannier choices for a while. I chose not to go with the Triumph bags and was giving serious consideration to the Jesse bags, as I have used them before on a GS and liked them. I had an interest in giving the Touratech a try for a change but was rather put off by the price...that is until I got an unexpected bonus check in the mail! Bags ordered; no idea when the mounts will be ready. I have a week off beginning this coming Saturday. I was hoping my bike would show in time for a trip, but I am doubting it at this point.

Shep
Oops... I just re-read your post and see that you ordered already, but I was going to recommend you also look at the SW-Motech Trax Evo Alu-boxes, shown here on my Versys. Twisted Throttle carries the mounts for the Tiger...

bags3

bags2

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #7391
Shep
Vagabond

Oddometer: 488
Thanks for those photos. Actually, after being told there is no ETA on the Touratech bags, I canceled the order. I do not have any bags ordered yet and have not made my mind up which way to go.

Shep
Old 07-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #7392
Mud Dauber
n00b

Oddometer: 4
800xc Exhaust note with the Arrow pipe

Wow what a great posting,
Thanks for all this.I have also just finished a 1700 mile trip, mostly road, on my new Tiger XC. I had just installed the Arrow pipe and had it remapped before my trip. They took the baffel out of the pipe and mapped it as such. Initially I was thrilled with the sound sporting around town...but once I hit the highwayat 6,000 RPM at about 75-80 I heard this weird moan/howl that made me think the front wheel bearings were dry and about to seize up. I stopped the bike and check the front hub, it was running cool, not that. I took off again and at 6k the same horrible sound in any gear, almost like some harmonic wave howl. No such sound below or above 6k RPM's. I've got an 05 girlie with a Thunderbike pipe I've put 14k on so I'm used to the valve train meshings of the triumph triple, but I've never never anything like this. I also don't like the tin can deceleration tink tink that reminds me of a two stroke. I brought the baffel with me and putting it back in made the sound tolerable but still present at 6k. On my return the shop suggested cutting the end off the baffel and or enlarging the holes in it to tune the sound to a nicer tone. Have any of you noticed any similar sounds coming out of your new tigers? Otherwise, I love the handling, power and leap to light speed from 9-10k rpm, but even with the baffel in it screams like a banshee at 6k. It is much higher strung than my '05 955i tiger. More of a sport bike. Any ideas before I get the hack saw and drill out?
Mud Dauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:01 PM   #7393
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Hey G,
Difficult to tell, they are both heavy bikes. I've ridden the GS only three times and I really like it. It doesn't have legs as long as the 800XC have for the road, especially long trips. On the other hand, the 800GS has a narrower seat and a narrower body where you need it to be narrow to make it work better on the dirt. And I like the acceleration dynamics of the GS, it makes it feel lighter than it is. Really nice on that department. I did not buy the XC for the dirt. But I have an eye on the Husqvarna 900, when they have the GS version out at EICMA in November. If you compare the Husqvarna Nuda 900R with the BMW 800R and then you venture to imagine what Husqvarna will have in terms of an enduro bike... I don't know, if you are serious for getting something for the dirt, at this size, neither the XC or the GS, perhaps the Husky?
How is that for a non answer?
Lion

Though, from the looks of it, with your vids, the 800xc is handling things very well I'd say .......

From what you've posted and said, and from what I've said, and from what others have said .......

I'm looking at this as a 50 / 50 bike. The type of terrain (I'm just repeating myself) that I would purposely take it on, is the type of terrain in your vids, and Burren Rider's vids.

This is not to say, that one wouldn't accidentally get into some gnarly stuff like single track / goat trails ...... but if my AT can handle that, I'm positive the 800xc would, without a doubt.

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #7394
Sharkguy
chain lube applier

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I doubt it. I've had the tigger draggin peg (as have others I'm sure) with zero issues related to the center stand. The corners of my pegs are scratched and not a sign of rubbing on the center stand.
First of all the article is about the standard Tiger not the XC. Second, it addresses the side stand, not the center stand. Here is the article as best as I can copy it.

Oops
Remember my story last week about crashing in my Astars suit? That was on the Triumph Tiger 800. Rounding a relatively straight forward uphill, banked bend in 2nd gear, I felt something drag hard as I tightened my line just before the apex while trail braking. Just as that happened, the front end washed out, lowsiding me and the Tiger.
What drug was the sidestand and sidestand mount. Parts that arenít designed to fold when they drag, like the pegs are. That means that when they do touch down, they take some of the bikeís weight, in this case that was enough to leverage the front tire off the road.
This isnít just my ego talking either. Evidence can be seen in the heavy wear on the sidestand and sidestand mount thatís runs parallel to the bikeís normal direction of travel and wear on the plastics, left handlebar and engine case that run 90 degrees to that.
Iíd started the day on the XC, keeping up with an 1198 S mounted friend and Sean on his favorite bike ever, the Moto Guzzi Norge, as we rode past Azusa to Crystal Lake. From there, I swapped to the 800 and, heading back down the mountain, I immediately started dragging its pegs.
These action shots were taken in a location that Sean chose for its isolation and nice background. Thereís barely a corner there, hence the lack of lean. I was further off the side of the bike at the time of the accident than these pictures indicate, so I was removing as much lean from it as possible in an effort to keep the pegs off the ground.
It should be noted that the uphill inclination of the corner and its slight banking likely contributed some extra suspension compression that reduced ground clearance further and led to the stand touching down, but it did so with about 1cm of unworn tire left to go. Again, that wasnít the case on the XC, whoís tires were worn to the edge front and rear and never even came close to dragging peg, let alone stand.

This photo demonstrates that lack of ground clearance. You can clearly see the sidestand and its mount hanging out in the wind under the peg. But, thereís two problems with this photo that means it fails to fully illustrate reality. One: Iím on the throttle, topping out the forks. Trail braking, Iíd expect the front end to be about three inches lower. Two: the angle obviously isnít totally front-on, this is simply the most illustrative photo we had after the fact. Still, you can see that thereís relatively little angle between peg touch and stand touch, which means thereís very little angle between hauling ass and landing on your ass. The fact that the stand drug even while the tire wasnít fully to its edge probably remains the best indicator of the limitation.
Itís possibly worth noting that the sidestands have been photoshopped out of every stock studio photo of the Tiger Triumph provides to the press.
The XC (orange) has noticeably more clearance than the 800 (blue).

Having said all that, this issue is unlikely to affect most Tiger riders. I ride faster and lean further than most riders on sportsbikes, much less 800cc all rounder/adveture tourers. Riders looking for big lean angles and high corner speeds have other bikes to choose from in the Triumph catalog, most notably the 675cc Street Triple and Street Triple R, whose capabilities as motorcycles far exceeds my capability as a rider. It should also be noted that the taller XC has no issue with ground clearance.
So, if you want a bike that does everything and tours, the Triumph Tiger 800 will serve you flawlessly. If you want a bike that does everything and rails corners like a sportsbike, the cheaper Triumph Street Triple would be the better choice.
Sharkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #7395
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post

Though, from the looks of it, with your vids, the 800xc is handling things very well I'd say .......

From what you've posted and said, and from what I've said, and from what others have said .......

I'm looking at this as a 50 / 50 bike. The type of terrain (I'm just repeating myself) that I would purposely take it on, is the type of terrain in your vids, and Burren Rider's vids.

This is not to say, that one wouldn't accidentally get into some gnarly stuff like single track / goat trails ...... but if my AT can handle that, I'm positive the 800xc would, without a doubt.

G.
Hey G,
Of course it does things well off pavement. It's just slower than my other bikes on that stuff. And certainly I would be worried about pushing it on dirt. On pavement, it is a completely different story. But you should know, I'm coming form the dirt side of the equation, so my lenses show a different bias here...
Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote