Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #7471
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Not quite. When the engine is running the electrical system is operating at closer to 14v, like 13.8v. So that changes the final number a bit.
You're right but for quoted figures you always look at the book specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlanderInVT View Post
And if you increase the RPMs then you likely increase the current output, raising that number all the way to 645W or so. So while that much is technically available, your bike might not be very happy around idle speeds.
And that all depends on where the regulator is set. Refer to my reply above.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #7472
FlatlanderInVT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
You're right but for quoted figures you always look at the book specs.

And that all depends on where the regulator is set. Refer to my reply above.
What are you trying to say? Triumph themselves says 645W output

Quote:
Class leading 645w generator allows the Tiger 800 XC to be fully loaded with journey-enhancing electrical accessories.
http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/mo...00-xc/features

And since they tell us it outputs roughly 500W at 4,000 RPMs, and the voltage won't go much above 14V, it is safe to assume that the 645W is the max output (while 500W would be roughly the minimum output) and is obtained by taking into account the higher operating voltage and a higher current supply at higher RPMs. Nobody is wrong here, the numbers are just provided without context (engine speed and voltage).
FlatlanderInVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #7473
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,206
Question for the collective - is the stock skid plate strong enough to support the bike ? I don't have a center stand (on order) and I want to remove the rear wheel - I have a converted car jack with a wooden platform on top that I use on my dirt bikes and it works fine.

So...what say yea
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #7474
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,567
No! Just jack up the rear shock. That's what my dealer did to service my XC. The owners Manuel says that you should not support the bike with the sump guard.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #7475
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
No! Just jack up the rear shock. That's what my dealer did to service my XC. The owners Manuel says that you should not support the bike with the sump guard.
Thanks
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #7476
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Question for the collective - is the stock skid plate strong enough to support the bike ? I don't have a center stand (on order) and I want to remove the rear wheel - I have a converted car jack with a wooden platform on top that I use on my dirt bikes and it works fine.

So...what say yea
I have been lifting mine with a motorcycle jack and no problems so far. It does deflect a little, but seems pretty rugged.

YMMV!

Cheers,
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:22 AM   #7477
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post

So...what say yea

It supported mine just fine.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #7478
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlanderInVT View Post
What are you trying to say? Triumph themselves says 645W output

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/mo...00-xc/features

And since they tell us it outputs roughly 500W at 4,000 RPMs, and the voltage won't go much above 14V, it is safe to assume that the 645W is the max output (while 500W would be roughly the minimum output) and is obtained by taking into account the higher operating voltage and a higher current supply at higher RPMs. Nobody is wrong here, the numbers are just provided without context (engine speed and voltage).
Yes I've seen them quote that figure too. 645W divided by 41.5A = 15.54Volts. I'm not an auto electrician or anything but that voltage seems quite high to me.
Anyway, as I posted earlier, my book says 41.5Amps which more than enough for most normal folks.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #7479
FlatlanderInVT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Yes I've seen them quote that figure too. 645W divided by 41.5A = 15.54Volts. I'm not an auto electrician or anything but that voltage seems quite high to me.
Anyway, as I posted earlier, my book says 41.5Amps which more than enough for most normal folks.
And I'm saying that as you increase RPMs you increase the current supply capabilities. I've never known a modern motorcycle electrical system where this is not true. All I'm saying is that the 645W figure isn't a lie, it just isn't the whole truth either. The 500W figure is the safe figure to use when trying to determine how much you can load the system, because you will be guaranteed to be at or above that amount when actually riding.
FlatlanderInVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #7480
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,738
The more important question is how much of that wattage is consumed by the motorcycle itself while running. Or phrased another way, how many spare watts do we actually have to work with before the battery starts draining?

I don't know the answer to this, although I do know it's quite a bit more than my heated grips and heated vest draw.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #7481
urquell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Tiger 800 Stalling

I thought I would add my experiences to the discussion about stalling. I have had my Tiger 800 for several weeks, and have put on about 1500 miles. I ride mostly paved roads, a few gravel roads, and not much dirt or dust. On two separate occasions I have had issues with stalling.

On both occasions I had been riding on relatively hot days (85 degrees F) for several hours. I had no issues with overheating. I rode down off the Blue Ridge Mountains, using intermittent engine braking to regulate my speed for several miles. About ten miles after rolling down off the mountains I had my first need to slow way down or stop the bike, and this is when I stalled for the first time on both occasions. Thereafter I began to stall every time I rolled off the throttle.

The bike would not idle at 800 rpm. Every time I rolled off the throttle, the tachometer would plummet to zero and the bike would stall. It happened while stopped, either in neutral or in gear with the clutch disengaged. It even happened while slowing for tight turns unless I kept the engine rpm's up. It became a significant safety issue, as at times I had to clutch and rev the engine to keep the bike from stalling in intersections. It was never related to blipping the throttle. The bike always restarted, but if I did not immediately roll on the throttle, the bike would stall again. After shutting down the bike for thirty minutes, the problem disappeared each time.

I communicated with my dealer and they were not able to help at all. I communicated with Triumph USA. They are unable to help until I bring the bike in to a dealer for analysis, but they did not admit to any particular or widespread problems with stalling. When I mentioned all of the forum reports regarding this issue, they discounted them as often inaccurate or misleading by nature. I guess this might be true to some degree, but I can assure you that when the stalling problem is happening to you, the internet reports take on added significance.

I am awaiting delivery of a DealerTool to read the diagnostic codes. I will then schedule a dealer appointment for service. I will post an update once I have more information.
urquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #7482
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,935
Guys, if you think this is a serious safety issue, file a complaint with NHTSA. If you don't nothing will ever be accepted as a general problem:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

If you have Triumph always do it "on demand", there will be no recall, and one day somebody will stall on an intersection or during a u-turn and get killed because of that.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #7483
urquell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Tiger 800 Stalling

Good advice. It is definitely a safety issue in my situation. I have just filed a safety complaint.
urquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #7484
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Think I can see a foot firmly in mouth. That is clearly the dirty side of the filter which has done its job admirably well considering.
I see by your list of antique bikes you've not owned any dirt bikes ... and since it's always WET in the UK, I doubt you've got much experience riding in heavy dust.

Well mate, I've got plenty ... growing up in the Mojave desert and Baja. Any filter like the one shown ... is clearly clogged. Guess what happens when a filter is clogged? Dirt starts getting past the filter.
Been there, done that.

If you read my earlier post about my Vstrom (also uses paper filter) this exact thing happened to me. I put over 80K miles on two Vstroms and rode them 10's of thousands of miles on dirt tracks throughout Mexico.

Any experienced dirt bike rider can also confirm what happens when a filter is clogged ... even a good oiled foam filter with a greased lip. They suck dirt past the filter. This simple fact is Dirt Riding 101.

I'm not saying 100% that the gals' bikes are ruined or that ingress of dirt caused their problems ... but if it didn't then they were quite lucky. That paper filter was never designed to handle that load of dirt ... and yes ... I realize the pic is showing the intake (exposed) side.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #7485
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by urquell View Post
I communicated with my dealer and they were not able to help at all. I communicated with Triumph. They are unable to help until I bring the bike in to a dealer for analysis, but they did not admit to any particular or widespread problems with stalling.

I'm sure it's standard practice for a company not to admit to anything while they're still busy working on a fix for the problem.

For what it's worth, I spoke with my dealer last night and asked him about the stalling problem; he's well aware of it, despite the fact that none of the Tigers he's sold have had the problem and he doesn't read Internet forums.

In other words, he's heard from Triumph about the issue. Apparently they're working on it but are still trying to confirm the cause of the problem.

By the way, he mentioned that the Bonneville had a similar issue when the first fuel-injected ones came out, and Triumph delivered a fix that completely cleared up the problem. I'm sure they'll have a similar one for the Tiger soon.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote