Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #7471
Dastard
Just another guy

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsrog View Post
I'm hoping to buy a T800xc next year, but we no longer have a Triumph dealer in Boise. I am wondering how many of you new Tiger owners live more than a few hours from a dealer. I am concerned about traveling at least 350 miles for scheduled maintenance, or warranty issues, but I don't think it woul be a total deal breaker. Any input one way or another is welcome.
That issue is exactly why I didn't get a T800XC and kept my order for the S10. Where I am likely to get stationed there is at least a 2 hour drive to get to a dealer, not everywhere but I don't want to trailer the bike for two hours for a recall/warranty work.

Dastard screwed with this post 07-27-2011 at 08:30 AM
Dastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #7472
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 103
Getting ready to do the 6,000 mile oil change on the XC...is it necessary to remove or loosen the skid plate to remove the oil filter?
Old 07-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #7473
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
Getting ready to do the 6,000 mile oil change on the XC...is it necessary to remove or loosen the skid plate to remove the oil filter?
No, you don't need to but if you leave the skid plate on, oil that drips from the filter and mount during removal will end up on top of the skid plate and drip off later. It's easy enough to remove so I went ahead and removed it for my oil change.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #7474
E-town dirt dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
I usually just stuff some paper towel under the filter. It absorbs any oil that drips. Quicker than taking the skid plate off.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:25 AM   #7475
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye.surgeon View Post
Is it just me or is the new Tiger having a lot of niggling and widespread issues? I've been following the bike since the first rumors with the plan of replacing my wee strom, but it seems like a lot of owners are having the braking clunk, rattling center stand, stalling issues. Not exactly what I had hope for to replace my dead-reliable strom that hasn't had a single issue. The last thing I want to do is run back and forth to the dealer getting stuff fixed or waiting for firmware updates. I just want to ride.
Like others said not a lot of problems. Stalling is the only real issue. Mine stalls but I love to ride it so much I don't really care. And I think it may be fixed after some dealer tweaks yesterday (I will update if it works). I had a DL 1000 I rode for quite some time. The tiger 800xc is in a totally different category. And for the record I am a die hard Suzuki fan but I love this bike wayyyyyy more than the DL. Suzuki has some serious catching up to do if they want to compete.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #7476
fbj913
I ride

Stalling after pipe install?

Does anyone have a stalling issue after installing a pipe? Or after installing the off road tune that goes with the arrow pipe?
Old 07-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #7477
TooBadBrad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Over 2k trouble free miles so far on mine. My dealer ( a long time freind) has sold 12 800's at last count and none have had the stalling issue. I think it is a problem but not nearly as widespred as the internet might make you believe.

Yes, the centerstand bounces on rough roads, the windscreen needs some sorting for most, and the cat generates alot of heat, but this is one really nice motorcycle. I'm not sorry at all for buying one.
TooBadBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #7478
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
No but it's wise to direct the flow when draining otherwise you'll catch some in the plate and it'll dribble for ages.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #7479
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooBadBrad View Post
Over 2k trouble free miles so far on mine. My dealer ( a long time freind) has sold 12 800's at last count and none have had the stalling issue. I think it is a problem but not nearly as widespred as the internet might make you believe.

Yes, the centerstand bounces on rough roads, the windscreen needs some sorting for most, and the cat generates alot of heat, but this is one really nice motorcycle. I'm not sorry at all for buying one.
It doesn't mean they don't have the problem. Its just that they don't have the problem yet.

fbj913 screwed with this post 07-27-2011 at 11:34 AM
Old 07-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #7480
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
if anyone is having stalling problems...here is a link as to how they fixed both our bikes....so far so good after three days of riding.

http://advgrrls.wordpress.com/stalli...our-tiger-xcs/
Thanks for posting your results! Great to hear the bikes no longer stalling and running well. The AK shop did a nice job!

I was shocked to see the amount of dirt that had gotten by your air filter
(I think on just one bike?) and into the throttle bodies. I'm really surprised that permanent damage was not done ... that was A LOT of dirt being sucked straight into the motor. Can't be good for long term health of that bike's motor. That area should be pristine. For those who've not read your RR, here is the filter and air box from the report:

I'm disappointed that Triumph's air filters are doing such a poor job at sealing out dirt. Seems to me plenty of riders will be riding in similar conditions with heavy dust like you are doing in AK.

And here's the thing ... in your case it's pretty clear the air filter seemed to be the main source of problems ... but many stalling reports here indicate the owners have not gone off road. I would bet their air filters are clean.

In some cases dealers have tried all sorts of attempted fixes: remapping, TPS adjustments and lots more ... all to no avail at solving the stalling. In a few cases the dealers have had the bikes for WEEKS ... and have not solved the stalling problem.

Perhaps Triumph USA has (finally) come up with a "magic bullet" Tune that finally solves the issue? Maybe you guys got that Tune? For your sakes, I hope so ... and best wishes for continued smooth running.

Enjoying your ride report ... very impressive adventure!

One tip on paper air filters : Since these Tiger filters seem to clog up so quickly ....
1. I would carry a spare filter.
2. If you find a really dirt filter ... just pull it out and tap it on the edge to release some of the dirt. Then use compressed air (or vacuum it) to clean it up a bit.

I don't think its wise to try to wash a paper filter ... but careful work with compressed air/vacuum could help. Paper filters are the very worst choice for any vehicle going off road. Dirt bike racers/riders figured this out 40 years ago. An oiled foam filter is the way to go.

Another tip would be to put a small bead of waterproof grease around the rubber sealing edge of your filter before install. This may help keep dirt at bay. I did this on my DL1000 Vstrom and it helped A LOT. The Vstrom had the same problem with massive ingress of dirt past the filter. (also a useless paper filter) I rode thousands of miles in Baja and Copper Canyon, very dusty conditions.

Good luck and continued safe riding.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 07-27-2011 at 12:23 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #7481
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
It doesn't meen they don't have the problem. It just meens they don't have the problem yet.
Your logic is, well, illogical

You have no idea what will happen to the bikes in the future (nobody can) and so right now all you can go on is whether or not the bikes have the issue at this point in time and none do. You can't predict the future.

That said...if by some miracle you can, can you PM me the winner of the next Superbowl....thanks
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #7482
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooBadBrad View Post

I really need to buy a Triumph Triple. Just replaced a worn out rear tire on my wife's Street Triple R and of course after getting everything bolted back on I needed to take a test ride, just to make sure it was safe and all that. Damn what a fun bike and an awesome motor. The sound that comes out of that thing at 8000rpm is intoxicating and needs to be heard often.

If anyone has ever seen the short movie Rendezvous in Paris, then that's the sound track that plays when you ride a triple.

bross screwed with this post 07-27-2011 at 11:52 AM
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #7483
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by av_mech View Post
This baby has a 645W alternator! You can run all sorts of stuff on that! Heat away...
We've seen two figures quoted on elec. output, I believe the consensus is
545 watts output. More than enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by av_mech View Post
I had my deposit down at Big Twin when they lost Triumph. Ended up buying in Denver. Have not been happy with the dealership at all. They have one more chance to redeem themselves tomorrow or I take my business elsewhere. There should be a dealer in Boise soon. My salesman knows the dealer development guy and I'll try to get an update on the new Boise dealer tomorrow when I go in there.
I stopped in Boise last year to get a Tire on my Tiger 1050. So sorry to hear they lost Triumph. Really nice folks there. Hope Boise gets another dealer soon.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #7484
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Your logic is, well, illogical

You have no idea what will happen to the bikes in the future (nobody can) and so right now all you can go on is whether or not the bikes have the issue at this point in time and none do. You can't predict the future.

That said...if by some miracle you can, can you PM me the winner of the next Superbowl....thanks

Not all bikes have the stalling issue right away. For example my bike is one of many that my dealer has sold that's had the problem. That is until this week. Now 2 more have the problem. It doesn't show up right away. It also seems to be related to high heat. If you live in a cooler climate your bike may not be as likely to stall. If your bike isn't put in the right situation you may not know your bike has a problem.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #7485
ccrat
Dumb as a box of hair

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Does anyone have a stalling issue after installing a pipe? Or after installing the off road tune that goes with the arrow pipe?
I wondered the same thing.

I had the Arrow exhaust (and off-road map) installed by the dealer prior to pick-up. I've never experienced any stalling issues, so I'm wondering if it's an issue with the stock tune/map.

For the record, I live in a hot (the hottest?) state, and have ridden in temps as high as 117 F so far.

ccrat is offline   Reply With Quote