Oddometer: 2,650
looks like a rat bike, unless there are parts missing
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:00 AM   #737
brewmike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
i do want it

I think it is what I wanted when I bought all my other bikes.I think maybe then I will be happy.Does it fly?
brewmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #738
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt
New spy pic:

I think it looks cool because it's different............then an F800GS. Not sure if I want one tho.

I guess looking at it more.........it's just a Triumph copy of an F800GS. Probably will be cheaper, more powerful, longer range, lighter, more comfortable........and a bunch more blah, blah, blah...........but it still looks like a copy of an F800GS?! Somehow I'm missing the originality?!
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #739
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly
I guess looking at it more.........it's just a Triumph copy of an F800GS. Probably will be cheaper, more powerful, longer range, lighter, more comfortable........and a bunch more blah, blah, blah...........but it still looks like a copy of an F800GS?! Somehow I'm missing the originality?!
Well, I suppose there's only so much you can do with styling when you're trying to build a bike like that. In order to achieve proper handling and reasonable offroad capability, certain geometry and mass centralization is called for, which is going to result in bikes looking pretty similar. Triumph can't really do a whole lot more than change the headlights, instrument panel, and accessories in order to make the bike look less like an F800GS, and those are exactly the parts that look substantially different.

It's kind of like dirt bikes all looking more or less the same, or twin-engine jet airliners, for that matter. Form follows function.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:24 AM   #740
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,150
Eh?

Quote:
Well, I suppose there's only so much you can do with styling when you're trying to build a bike like that. In order to achieve proper handling and reasonable offroad capability, certain geometry and mass centralization is called for, which is going to result in bikes looking pretty similar. Triumph can't really do a whole lot more than change the headlights, instrument panel, and accessories in order to make the bike look less like an F800GS, and those are exactly the parts that look substantially different.

It's kind of like dirt bikes all looking more or less the same, or twin-engine jet airliners, for that matter. Form follows function.

--mark
If it's not a copy why have a beak, or light gold upside down forks, or slightly odd twin headlights, or black plastic air scoops, or ... ?

BMW must be very flattered lately ... Triumph Tiger XC, Yamaha Super Tenere 1200, ...

Not much point copying though, unless you make it better ... lighter, more powerful, better suspension, smoother, wider gear ratios ... we will see!
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:26 AM   #741
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 965
Quote:

--mark
It's a good point. I guess I'm not knocking it so much as I wanted something a little bit different. Overall it looks good.

At this point I'm most curious about the price and the fuel tank size.
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #742
Keithy
Chaotically Keith

Oddometer: 284
Thumb

I keep thinking it looks like the Triumph Tiger.....955 1050....or a Yam tenere...maybe a Honda AT?

One thing I have actually tried to figure out is what's with the "beak"?

And why the front huggy mudguard....is it so it clogs with mud and spits you off?

Rumour has it that the engine is the heart of a bike.....This one looks all heart!

I'm looking forward to taking an angle grinder to one of these....and that frame needs refinishing in white....perfick!

Keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:42 AM   #743
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly
I think it looks cool because it's different............then an F800GS. Not sure if I want one tho.

Triple vs. twin.

The distinguishing quality, the hallmark of the Hinckley Triumph brand is the three cylinder motor.

Apart from that it has two wheels, forks, handlebars, and a seat, just like all of them... Where's the gas tank on these bikes?

I'm curious as to the price of it.

Just for comparison:

Thanks
CA Stu
Old 10-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #744
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,408
I saw an F800 GS with the right hand side plastic (directly under the handlebar, right where the roundel is) broke from a tipover, and it also broke the filler neck off the radiator.

The upper and lower parts of the F800 radiators are made of plastic, and protected by plastic.

Hopefully the Tiger 800 is a bit more stout than that...

Thanks
CA Stu
Old 10-19-2010, 10:34 AM   #745
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 643
I don't care if it looks a BMW as long as it is not a BMW.

I am not brand loyal, but antibrand loyal
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #746
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane
If it's not a copy why have a beak, or light gold upside down forks, or slightly odd twin headlights, or black plastic air scoops, or ... ?

BMW must be very flattered lately ... Triumph Tiger XC, Yamaha Super Tenere 1200, ...
The twin headlights are a Tiger trademark since the '90's steamer Tiger, on through the current model. In the 90's, the BMW GS had a single square headlight, didn't it? Hopefully Triumph won't copy BMW's low quality standards too.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #747
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerking
I don't care if it looks a BMW as long as it is not a BMW.

I am not brand loyal, but antibrand loyal

+1

No fat chicks, fender will scrape.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #748
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,450
Did I miss this pic in this thread somewhere? I'll be honest and say I've only looked through the last few pages, but anyway . . .

Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #749
Boston813
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
What tires are those? Might work well on my scrambler
Boston813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #750
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy
I keep thinking it looks like the Triumph Tiger.....955 1050....or a Yam tenere...maybe a Honda AT?

One thing I have actually tried to figure out is what's with the "beak"?

And why the front huggy mudguard....is it so it clogs with mud and spits you off?

Rumour has it that the engine is the heart of a bike.....This one looks all heart!

I'm looking forward to taking an angle grinder to one of these....and that frame needs refinishing in white....perfick!

When I first saw that 2 bike picture I kind of lost the momentum... This is the "off-road" bike after all...

The rear footpegs and front mudguard are minor details that can be fixed. But still, I have higher expectations from a bike built with a so called "off-road" purpose...

The way I imagined it, was they had a real world test, which includes dropping the bike once or twice- meaning trying to ensure the brake/gear thingies are not too exposed, which also means that the bike shouldn't rest on those rear pegs, which also means that one should not have to worry about the front mudguard becoming full of mud... And yeah, wonder how big is the tank, the engine looks massive... Minor details, but details which make me think that the off-roading process went like let's slap some knobbies on it...

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, it's calling it as I see it... Still looking forward to some more or less independent tests- I tried a 675 and loved it...

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote