Old 07-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #7516
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlanderInVT View Post
What are you trying to say? Triumph themselves says 645W output

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/mo...00-xc/features

And since they tell us it outputs roughly 500W at 4,000 RPMs, and the voltage won't go much above 14V, it is safe to assume that the 645W is the max output (while 500W would be roughly the minimum output) and is obtained by taking into account the higher operating voltage and a higher current supply at higher RPMs. Nobody is wrong here, the numbers are just provided without context (engine speed and voltage).
Yes I've seen them quote that figure too. 645W divided by 41.5A = 15.54Volts. I'm not an auto electrician or anything but that voltage seems quite high to me.
Anyway, as I posted earlier, my book says 41.5Amps which more than enough for most normal folks.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #7517
FlatlanderInVT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Yes I've seen them quote that figure too. 645W divided by 41.5A = 15.54Volts. I'm not an auto electrician or anything but that voltage seems quite high to me.
Anyway, as I posted earlier, my book says 41.5Amps which more than enough for most normal folks.
And I'm saying that as you increase RPMs you increase the current supply capabilities. I've never known a modern motorcycle electrical system where this is not true. All I'm saying is that the 645W figure isn't a lie, it just isn't the whole truth either. The 500W figure is the safe figure to use when trying to determine how much you can load the system, because you will be guaranteed to be at or above that amount when actually riding.
FlatlanderInVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #7518
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,643
The more important question is how much of that wattage is consumed by the motorcycle itself while running. Or phrased another way, how many spare watts do we actually have to work with before the battery starts draining?

I don't know the answer to this, although I do know it's quite a bit more than my heated grips and heated vest draw.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #7519
urquell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Tiger 800 Stalling

I thought I would add my experiences to the discussion about stalling. I have had my Tiger 800 for several weeks, and have put on about 1500 miles. I ride mostly paved roads, a few gravel roads, and not much dirt or dust. On two separate occasions I have had issues with stalling.

On both occasions I had been riding on relatively hot days (85 degrees F) for several hours. I had no issues with overheating. I rode down off the Blue Ridge Mountains, using intermittent engine braking to regulate my speed for several miles. About ten miles after rolling down off the mountains I had my first need to slow way down or stop the bike, and this is when I stalled for the first time on both occasions. Thereafter I began to stall every time I rolled off the throttle.

The bike would not idle at 800 rpm. Every time I rolled off the throttle, the tachometer would plummet to zero and the bike would stall. It happened while stopped, either in neutral or in gear with the clutch disengaged. It even happened while slowing for tight turns unless I kept the engine rpm's up. It became a significant safety issue, as at times I had to clutch and rev the engine to keep the bike from stalling in intersections. It was never related to blipping the throttle. The bike always restarted, but if I did not immediately roll on the throttle, the bike would stall again. After shutting down the bike for thirty minutes, the problem disappeared each time.

I communicated with my dealer and they were not able to help at all. I communicated with Triumph USA. They are unable to help until I bring the bike in to a dealer for analysis, but they did not admit to any particular or widespread problems with stalling. When I mentioned all of the forum reports regarding this issue, they discounted them as often inaccurate or misleading by nature. I guess this might be true to some degree, but I can assure you that when the stalling problem is happening to you, the internet reports take on added significance.

I am awaiting delivery of a DealerTool to read the diagnostic codes. I will then schedule a dealer appointment for service. I will post an update once I have more information.
urquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #7520
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Guys, if you think this is a serious safety issue, file a complaint with NHTSA. If you don't nothing will ever be accepted as a general problem:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

If you have Triumph always do it "on demand", there will be no recall, and one day somebody will stall on an intersection or during a u-turn and get killed because of that.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #7521
urquell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Tiger 800 Stalling

Good advice. It is definitely a safety issue in my situation. I have just filed a safety complaint.
urquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #7522
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Think I can see a foot firmly in mouth. That is clearly the dirty side of the filter which has done its job admirably well considering.
I see by your list of antique bikes you've not owned any dirt bikes ... and since it's always WET in the UK, I doubt you've got much experience riding in heavy dust.

Well mate, I've got plenty ... growing up in the Mojave desert and Baja. Any filter like the one shown ... is clearly clogged. Guess what happens when a filter is clogged? Dirt starts getting past the filter.
Been there, done that.

If you read my earlier post about my Vstrom (also uses paper filter) this exact thing happened to me. I put over 80K miles on two Vstroms and rode them 10's of thousands of miles on dirt tracks throughout Mexico.

Any experienced dirt bike rider can also confirm what happens when a filter is clogged ... even a good oiled foam filter with a greased lip. They suck dirt past the filter. This simple fact is Dirt Riding 101.

I'm not saying 100% that the gals' bikes are ruined or that ingress of dirt caused their problems ... but if it didn't then they were quite lucky. That paper filter was never designed to handle that load of dirt ... and yes ... I realize the pic is showing the intake (exposed) side.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #7523
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by urquell View Post
I communicated with my dealer and they were not able to help at all. I communicated with Triumph. They are unable to help until I bring the bike in to a dealer for analysis, but they did not admit to any particular or widespread problems with stalling.

I'm sure it's standard practice for a company not to admit to anything while they're still busy working on a fix for the problem.

For what it's worth, I spoke with my dealer last night and asked him about the stalling problem; he's well aware of it, despite the fact that none of the Tigers he's sold have had the problem and he doesn't read Internet forums.

In other words, he's heard from Triumph about the issue. Apparently they're working on it but are still trying to confirm the cause of the problem.

By the way, he mentioned that the Bonneville had a similar issue when the first fuel-injected ones came out, and Triumph delivered a fix that completely cleared up the problem. I'm sure they'll have a similar one for the Tiger soon.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #7524
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by urquell View Post
I thought I would add my experiences to the discussion about stalling. I have had my Tiger 800 for several weeks, and have put on about 1500 miles. I ride mostly paved roads, a few gravel roads, and not much dirt or dust. On two separate occasions I have had issues with stalling.

On both occasions I had been riding on relatively hot days (85 degrees F) for several hours. I had no issues with overheating. I rode down off the Blue Ridge Mountains, using intermittent engine braking to regulate my speed for several miles. About ten miles after rolling down off the mountains I had my first need to slow way down or stop the bike, and this is when I stalled for the first time on both occasions. Thereafter I began to stall every time I rolled off the throttle.

The bike would not idle at 800 rpm. Every time I rolled off the throttle, the tachometer would plummet to zero and the bike would stall. It happened while stopped, either in neutral or in gear with the clutch disengaged. It even happened while slowing for tight turns unless I kept the engine rpm's up. It became a significant safety issue, as at times I had to clutch and rev the engine to keep the bike from stalling in intersections. It was never related to blipping the throttle. The bike always restarted, but if I did not immediately roll on the throttle, the bike would stall again. After shutting down the bike for thirty minutes, the problem disappeared each time.

I communicated with my dealer and they were not able to help at all. I communicated with Triumph USA. They are unable to help until I bring the bike in to a dealer for analysis, but they did not admit to any particular or widespread problems with stalling. When I mentioned all of the forum reports regarding this issue, they discounted them as often inaccurate or misleading by nature. I guess this might be true to some degree, but I can assure you that when the stalling problem is happening to you, the internet reports take on added significance.

I am awaiting delivery of a DealerTool to read the diagnostic codes. I will then schedule a dealer appointment for service. I will post an update once I have more information.
I would take it directly to the dealer. The problem with it being a software issue is that the DealerTool will most likely not show that anything is wrong. At least thats what has happened with mine. The computer doesnt know that anything is wrong. Triumph is well aware of the issue. My dealer has been working directly with them and even had my bike hooked up to Triumph Corporate over the internet to run tests.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #7525
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
The more important question is how much of that wattage is consumed by the motorcycle itself while running. Or phrased another way, how many spare watts do we actually have to work with before the battery starts draining?
I don't know the answer to this, although I do know it's quite a bit more than my heated grips and heated vest draw.
--mark
Good point Mark. The "How much do we have to work with" part is all that really matters here. a rough guesstimate (I'm too lazy to look up "facts" ) will show how many Watts the bike needs to run and operate basic standard equipment ... then go from there to figure how many spare Watts you've got.

My out of the blue "guesstimate" is about 350 to 400 free Watts. If you spend a lot of time idling in traffic .... this could change a bit. But normal highway riding this should be in the ball park.

Modern Aux lights are now fairly low draw. My Gerbing Jacket draws 77 watts at 100%, Heated grips? Depends ... my Symtec ones draw about 35 Watts on "HI" setting. Things like GPS, I-Tunes, mostly require very low current.

A key thing to look at if running a lot of electrical accessories would be the Tiger's Battery. I hope it's not the woefully underspec'd one on the Tiger 1050. That battery led to several elec. issues for Tiger 1050 owners.
How many Amp Hour is the standard battery? The Tiger 1050 I believe is just 12 AH. A better replacement is 14 AH, which is what most 1050 owners are using now. The 1050 only puts out something like 450 Watts total, and there have been Stator and battery related problems.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #7526
neparider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
lift with hold down

[
Quote:
QUOTE=TerraUnFirma;16499103]I have been lifting mine with a motorcycle jack and no problems so far. It does deflect a little, but seems pretty rugged.

YMMV!

Cheers,
[/QUOTE]

Needed to hold the front down. I set the lift at the support point or attachment location of the composite skid plate.
neparider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #7527
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Good point Mark. The "How much do we have to work with" part is all that really matters here. a rough guesstimate (I'm too lazy to look up "facts" ) will show how many Watts the bike needs to run and operate basic standard equipment ... then go from there to figure how many spare Watts you've got.

My out of the blue "guesstimate" is about 350 to 400 free Watts. If you spend a lot of time idling in traffic .... this could change a bit. But normal highway riding this should be in the ball park.

Modern Aux lights are now fairly low draw. My Gerbing Jacket draws 77 watts at 100%, Heated grips? Depends ... my Symtec ones draw about 35 Watts on "HI" setting. Things like GPS, I-Tunes, mostly require very low current.

A key thing to look at if running a lot of electrical accessories would be the Tiger's Battery. I hope it's not the woefully underspec'd one on the Tiger 1050. That battery led to several elec. issues for Tiger 1050 owners.
How many Amp Hour is the standard battery? The Tiger 1050 I believe is just 12 AH. A better replacement is 14 AH, which is what most 1050 owners are using now. The 1050 only puts out something like 450 Watts total, and there have been Stator and battery related problems.
I am sure the Triumph is just like most every other street bike. The stator cranks out AC power by running its coils through a magnetic field. A portion of that AC power is syphoned off to power the engine through the coil's to provide spark to the plugs.

The majority goes to the Regulator/rectifier to be converted to 12v DC power to charge the battery. It would be a rare bird that generates more than 15V to the battery as it would boil the water out or damage the battery. Yes RPM's matter as it dictates how fast the stator spins. My guesstimate at idle, no less than 13.8v, as that is the norm on most bikes.

Your lights, heated grips and all of the add on accessories run on 12 V power.

I suspect that the computers run on low voltage power, not sure about Fuel injection. In any case it will be a small proportion of the Stators output. You are not going to get a finite number unless you can determine how much of the power is syphoned off for the electrics to power the engines electronics, though I guess you can measure the hot wire to the coil or measured at the pick up coil. There is some resistance pushing through the wiring, both on the AC and DC side. If you had Canbus, you would not have as much wastage.

The bottom line is that you should have plenty, certainly more than most, unless you intend to light up Yankee Stadium.

itsatdm screwed with this post 07-28-2011 at 04:11 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #7528
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,770
Quote:

Needed to hold the front down. I set the lift at the support point or attachment location of the composite skid plate.
That is good to see. I will be using my lift so the front end will be secured in a wheel chock and tied down so I should be good.

Thanks
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #7529
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,272
The bikes turned 10,000 KM today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Thanks for posting your results! Great to hear the bikes no longer stalling and running well. The AK shop did a nice job!

I was shocked to see the amount of dirt that had gotten by your air filter
(I think on just one bike?) and into the throttle bodies. I'm really surprised that permanent damage was not done ... that was A LOT of dirt being sucked straight into the motor. Can't be good for long term health of that bike's motor. That area should be pristine. For those who've not read your RR, here is the filter and air box from the report:

Enjoying your ride report ... very impressive adventure!

One tip on paper air filters : Since these Tiger filters seem to clog up so quickly ....
1. I would carry a spare filter.
2. If you find a really dirt filter ... just pull it out and tap it on the edge to release some of the dirt. Then use compressed air (or vacuum it) to clean it up a bit.

I don't think its wise to try to wash a paper filter ... but careful work with compressed air/vacuum could help. Paper filters are the very worst choice for any vehicle going off road. Dirt bike racers/riders figured this out 40 years ago. An oiled foam filter is the way to go.

Another tip would be to put a small bead of waterproof grease around the rubber sealing edge of your filter before install. This may help keep dirt at bay. I did this on my DL1000 Vstrom and it helped A LOT. The Vstrom had the same problem with massive ingress of dirt past the filter. (also a useless paper filter) I rode thousands of miles in Baja and Copper Canyon, very dusty conditions.

Good luck and continued safe riding.
According to what we were told....although the filters looked like crap the issue with the Throttle Bodies was not directly related to the filters. This is another issue. So, even if you do not really go off road like we are doing up here...there still might be a correlation. WE took the bikes on another really dusty dirt/gravel road yesterday so we will see if anything comes up. We have more dirt to come too.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #7530
ssmv650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
stalling with heat,

[QUOTE=urquell;16499651]I thought I would add my experiences to the discussion about stalling. I have had my Tiger 800 for several weeks, and have put on about 1500 miles. I ride mostly paved roads, a few gravel roads, and not much dirt or dust. On two separate occasions I have had issues with stalling.

I had the stalling issue also. I had my dealer installer the Arrow pipe tune available for the bike. This seems to eliminated my stalling. I still had the stock pipe and feel it improved the way the bike ran.

YMMV
ssmv650 is offline   Reply With Quote