Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #7531
FlatlanderInVT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I am sure the Triumph is just like most every other street bike. The stator cranks out AC power by running its coils through a magnetic field. A portion of that AC power is syphoned off to power the engine through the coil's to provide spark to the plugs.

The majority goes to the Regulator/rectifier to be converted to 12v DC power to charge the battery. It would be a rare bird that generates more than 15V to the battery as it would boil the water out or damage the battery. Yes RPM's matter as it dictates how fast the stator spins. My guesstimate at idle, no less than 13.8v, as that is the norm on most bikes.

Your lights, heated grips and all of the add on accessories run on 12 V power.

I suspect that the computers run on low voltage power, not sure about Fuel injection. In any case it will be a small proportion of the Stators output. You are not going to get a finite number unless you can determine how much of the power is syphoned off for the electrics to power the engines electronics, though I guess you can measure the hot wire to the coil or measured at the pick up coil. Some is wasted pushing through the wiring, both on the AC and DC side. If you had Canbus, you would not have as much wastage.

The bottom line is that you should have plenty, certainly more than most, unless you intend to light up Yankee Stadium.
I'm pretty sure he meant things like the headlights, tail light, brake light, blinkers, dash lights, etc, because those will consume somewhere around 100W, probably more. I have no desire to do the math out.
FlatlanderInVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #7532
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
Me either. Just keep in mind there is AC power needed to spark the motor ( on a F800gs, I am told over 100 watts) and resistance in the wiring for the rest. The Triumph gross number is a lot. If you got a pool going on, my guess is about 480 watts total.

itsatdm screwed with this post 07-28-2011 at 04:29 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #7533
Romulux
Next exit

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
No that big nut on top is basically to hold on the top yoke...

Thanks so much for your description, that's a huge help!
Romulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #7534
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I suspect that the computers run on low voltage power, not sure about Fuel injection. In any case it will be a small proportion of the Stators output.

If you had Canbus, you would not have as much wastage.

The bottom line is that you should have plenty, certainly more than most, unless you intend to light up Yankee Stadium.
645 Watts is more output than any other bike i've owned (out of 50 or so)

Some of the load is variable ... like turn signals, brake lights, fuel pumps, servo motors running the throttle body flappers ... the electronics like the ECM, ABS and such should all be very low voltage as you indicate.

I'm not clear on exactly how an ABS modulator works or how much power it requres ... but a replacement on my Tiger 1050 costs over $1500. (no, didn't need one, just happened to notice)

BTW, I believe the Tiger 800 does have some form of CANbus system. The Tiger 1050 does. Kildare man has a pretty good grasp of this, he would know.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:35 AM   #7535
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by urquell View Post
I am awaiting delivery of a DealerTool to read the diagnostic codes. I will then schedule a dealer appointment for service. I will post an update once I have more information.
FYI this may be pointless as if you do not have the check engine light on (or had it come on at some point), it's unlikely that there will be any fault codes stored.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:38 AM   #7536
urquell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Tiger 800 Stalling

Thanks. I did not realize that there might not be any diagnostic codes in this situation. I had already ordered the DealerTool before my most recent episode. It should be here today or tomorrow, so I won't have to delay bringing the bike in for service. I wanted the tool anyway, because I just like to get information on my own when I can, and also I wanted to be able to change the service interval. My dealer likes to set it at 3,000 miles for routine service intervals. I will let my dealer service department know about the Arrow tune. Thanks.

urquell screwed with this post 07-29-2011 at 06:50 AM
urquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:04 AM   #7537
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlanderInVT View Post
I'm pretty sure he meant things like the headlights, tail light, brake light, blinkers, dash lights, etc, because those will consume somewhere around 100W, probably more. I have no desire to do the math out.
The headlights alone will consume 110W (on low beam). Plus all the other lights. Plus EFI and ABS ECUs. Plus throttle body servos. Plus fuel pump. Plus whatever else I'm forgetting.

For what it's worth, the instructions that come with Triumph's heated grips and fog lights state that if GPS, grips, and lights are turned on (drawing a combined 165W), there's no power left over for other accessories. Granted, that's not going to be true because Triumph is leaving a safety margin to legally cover their ass, so let's say there's actually about 200W free. And let's go with the 550W (@ 12 volts) rating for the alternator. So the bike potentially uses around 350W? That seems a bit high...

It would be interesting to know just how big a safety margin Triumph is leaving. Perhaps some intrepid soul would care to hook up a crapload of accessories to their bike and turn them on one by one while watching the multimeter to see what the voltage is across the battery terminals.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:35 AM   #7538
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I see by your list of antique bikes you've not owned any dirt bikes ... and since it's always WET in the UK, I doubt you've got much experience riding in heavy dust.
Ahem, XR250, XR600, KTM600LC4. And you could argue that the XL185 and the R100GS are dirt bikes because I used them both on dirt roads.
I do bow to your greater knowledge on dust although I do ride in foreign, dusty lands here in Europe from time to time.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:45 AM   #7539
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urquell View Post
The bike would not idle at 800 rpm.

I am awaiting delivery of a DealerTool to read the diagnostic codes. I will then schedule a dealer appointment for service. I will post an update once I have more information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
FYI this may be pointless as if you do not have the check engine light on (or had it come on at some point), it's unlikely that there will be any fault codes stored.
Not necessarily. If he can use it to set the tickover at 1100~1200rpm. Having watched the video http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,1083.300.html on this forum thread I'm wondering if it's simply that the tickover is set too low.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:19 AM   #7540
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 103
Article in the August Motorcycle Consumer News comparing the 800 XC vs. the F800GS confirms what a lot of us already knew...

Motors--tie
Transmissions--tie
Suspensions & chassis geometry--Tiger 1st, GS 2nd
Brakes, wheels & tires--Tiger 1st, GS 2nd
Ergonomics--Tiger 1st, GS 2nd
Instruments & controls--Tiger 1st, GS 2nd
Riding impression--tie
Attention to detail--Tiger 1st, GS 2nd
Value--Tiger 1st, GS 2nd
Overall--Tiger 1st, GS 2nd
"Choosing a winner here is difficult. Prospective adventure riders considering either of these two machines are going to have to stare into the mirror and decide what kind of riders they are to determine which of these two machines will best suit them. If you enjoy marathon rides on long--and preferably twisty--stretches of open road, and you want to throw in more than a few dirt fireroads for fun, then the Tirumph Tiger 800XC is a clear winner. For others, whose riding style emphasizes prowling the untamed wilderness, the BMW F800GS may be worth a good, hard look. Even so, at the end of the day there's no denying that the Tiger 800XC is the more polished machine here. In their first try, Triumph engineers went to school on the class leader, did their homework and produced a bike that offers the better compromise. Bravo, Triumph!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #7541
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Not necessarily. If he can use it to set the tickover at 1100~1200rpm. Having watched the video http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,1083.300.html on this forum thread I'm wondering if it's simply that the tickover is set too low.
I'm not aware of any mechanism in DealerTool for adjusting the idle speed but I think you can set target idle speed relative to temperature in TuneECU.

But I think this is masking the problem by treating the symptom. The idle speed is part of the fuel mapping and is not set low on these bikes.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #7542
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
I'm not aware of any mechanism in DealerTool for adjusting the idle speed but I think you can set target idle speed relative to temperature in TuneECU.

But I think this is masking the problem by treating the symptom. The idle speed is part of the fuel mapping and is not set low on these bikes.
Just seemed to me that it wasn't idling where mine does.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #7543
Presto1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Idle problems

So, I am the proud owner of a new 2012 XC and have been following the forum for some time. So far no stalling issues, but I haven't reached my break in mileage yet. Hope to do that this weekend if the rain holds out. I am trying to understand from the post if in fact the stalling/idle issue goes away with the installation of the Arrow pipe and remap. Does this "cure" the problem? Thanks.
Presto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #7544
ElNorto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Thumb

Originally Posted by ElNorto
I plan to get one of the G2 throttle tamers to take care of this. Not a big deal on the street but its way too abrupt off road with the amount of power the Tiger has.

http://www.g2ergo.com/g2-tamer-throttle-tube-121.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodys3b View Post
Please report back when you have this installed. For me, this is one of two flies in the ointment on my Tiger and the more I ride it the more annoying it becomes. The roads I ride have lots of frost heaves and the bike is constantly surging forward and back as I hit them. I'll have it remapped when I can find the time.
I just received my G2 Throttle Tamer. I spoke to Gary at the link posted above and he said he could fix me up even though a specific tamer for the Tiger is not listed. The sales slip says its a part# 40-4F-136 and the Description is "Honda/GSXR street bikes". Its a one piece billet aluminum with a delrin lining. It fit the cable pulls perfectly and the cables required zero adjustment. The bike now feels more like the carbed bikes I am used to and should be much easier to modulate the speed in the corners on the street and in the dirt.
ElNorto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #7545
littlegroovy
n00b

Oddometer: 6
SW-Motech Engine Crash Bars - a good bet?

I've seen a fair level of input on crash bars and a few reports of how well the Triumph OEM crash bars held up when the bike went down.

That said, I'm thinking about the SW-Motech bars because I can kill two birds with one stone (as best I can tell from the pictures) by covering the motor and the gas tank/plastic fairing.

Any reports to speak of on how the SW-Motech crash bars held up under real stress? Or, any owners of these crash bars have a best guess how they will protect the bike vs. the Triumph OEM's?

Many thanks.

p.s. I have the 800XC, 1700 miles, 600 mile service complete, low gel seat, hand warmers, top box.....no problems with anything yet.
littlegroovy is offline   Reply With Quote