ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #7561
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moore_Power View Post
I'm not sure about the SW Motech skid plate, But, When I installed the SW Motech Centerstand I had to remove the charcoal canister. Of course now the website where I purchased it from says "The current design fits Canadian and European bikes only." It seems SW Motech's design team did not take the canister into consideration, mostly because the bikes they used to fit their parts didn't have the canister.
On a side note, I have not had any problems with my charcoal canister removed.
I assume you got it from Twisted Throttle ? I saw the bit about the center stand and that's what made me get the Triumph stand.

I just double-checked and there is no mention on the site about the skid plate only fitting non-USA bikes so I'm a little confused at the moment.

So, you just took the canister off - what about the tubes and stuff, what did you do with them ? What exactly does the canister DO ? I know on the XRL's about the first people do with new bikes is give it a canisterectomy so I have to think it's not a vital piece of equipment....

Anybody care to chime in on the danger of removing the canister
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #7562
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Anybody care to chime in on the danger of removing the canister
You are tampering with the emission system which might be illegal. The canister is required for bikes sold in California.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #7563
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!
 
The Jerk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Oddometer: 2,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
So, you just took the canister off - what about the tubes and stuff, what did you do with them ? What exactly does the canister DO ?
The sole purpose of the canister is to reduce the emission of unburned hydrocarbons from the bike. It does this by trapping gasoline vapors that evaporate from the gas tank. In the days before charcoal canisters, these fumes were simply vented to the atmosphere, contributing to smog.

The job of the canister is to trap these vapors, store them within the canister, and then when the engine is run the fumes are sucked into the intake manifold to be burned in the cylinders.

There is no performance penalty attached to the charcoal canister. Just a little bit of weight and a little bit of plumbing. If you do remove it, there is a probably a vacuum line you will have to plug at the throttle body.
__________________
2000 Kawasaki W650
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #7564
Evomx971
Defrosting in NM
 
Evomx971's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Iowa
Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Has anybody from the US fitted a SW Motech skid plate ? If you have, did the skid plate hit the charcoal canister ? Just tried to fit mine and there is a little lip at the back on the side where the canister is and it hits it and thus won't fit. I guess I can just bend the lip but I wanted to check with the inmates before I do that.

Cheers
Interesting... just got my SW Motech bash plate to replace my Triumph one (want more oil filter protection). Was planning to install tonight and will let you know if I have any issues. I was thinking that a bunch of guys had them installed already... maybe they were all non-U.S. bikes?
__________________
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." ~ A. Lincoln
'11 Triumph 800XC ABS / '94 Honda XR650L / '06 Yamaha YZ125
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsor: Motorex
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #7565
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
The sole purpose of the canister is to reduce the emission of unburned hydrocarbons from the bike. It does this by trapping gasoline vapors that evaporate from the gas tank. In the days before charcoal canisters, these fumes were simply vented to the atmosphere, contributing to smog.

The job of the canister is to trap these vapors, store them within the canister, and then when the engine is run the fumes are sucked into the intake manifold to be burned in the cylinders.

There is no performance penalty attached to the charcoal canister. Just a little bit of weight and a little bit of plumbing. If you do remove it, there is a probably a vacuum line you will have to plug at the throttle body.
Many thanks Mr Jerk

I kinda figured that was the purpose etc. but just wanted to check.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #7566
zuma
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Oddometer: 231
I rode a 800 Tiger here in Oz earlier in the year. Hot conditions, fair bit of slower speed running, my bike stalled more than a few times. When we returned from the ride others were complaining of the same problem.

Since then I have ridden a shop demo bike. Cooler weather, riding on my own at highway speeds, no problem at all (except with buffeting from the screen).
zuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #7567
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
You are tampering with the emission system which might be illegal. The canister is required for bikes sold in California.
Thanks

I don't live in California and to be honest, I could care less about it being illegal - it's a stupid idea to begin with (the canister was gone from my XRL when I bought it and I've had no issues with it being 'illegal').
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #7568
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomx971 View Post
Interesting... just got my SW Motech bash plate to replace my Triumph one (want more oil filter protection). Was planning to install tonight and will let you know if I have any issues. I was thinking that a bunch of guys had them installed already... maybe they were all non-U.S. bikes?
Please do. You'll (probably) see there is a lip that hits the canister and so it just won't fit properly. I also thought I'd seen/heard of US bikes being fitted with the SW Motech skid plate but mebbe not
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #7569
bug67
Hazard Avoidance
 
bug67's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Hereandnow, AK
Oddometer: 739
I have the SW Motech bash plate fitted. While the charcoal canister was indeed a tight fit, I was able to move things around by hand with no problems.

__________________
Past: '04 Ducati Monster 620, '05 BMW R1200GS, '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
Present: '09 Triumph Street Triple R, '13 Triumph Trophy SE

Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #7570
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by bug67 View Post
I have the SW Motech bash plate fitted. While the charcoal canister was indeed a tight fit, I was able to move things around by hand with no problems.

Excellent, thanks for the photo. So you didn't have to re-locate the canister at all ?
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #7571
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!
 
The Jerk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Oddometer: 2,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by bug67 View Post
I have the SW Motech bash plate fitted. While the charcoal canister was indeed a tight fit, I was able to move things around by hand with no problems.

Looks like that lip is made specifically to fit with the canister. The canister is kinda loosely and flexibly attached (secured thru a grommet at the front end and one screw at the rear) so one should be able to at least bend the bracket enough to make it fit with the bash plate.
__________________
2000 Kawasaki W650
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #7572
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,168
I fitted the SW Motech crash bars today. I was a little worried that it would not give the rads enough protection but as I think the pictures will show, I don't think it will be an issue. I will say the bars are very solid and I think they'll do just fine.











__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #7573
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Looks like that lip is made specifically to fit with the canister. The canister is kinda loosely and flexibly attached (secured thru a grommet at the front end and one screw at the rear) so one should be able to at least bend the bracket enough to make it fit with the bash plate.
You may well be right, I just didn't want to force it unless I had to return the bash plate. I'll give it another go.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #7574
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!
 
The Jerk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Oddometer: 2,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
You may well be right, I just didn't want to force it unless I had to return the bash plate. I'll give it another go.
I meant bend the canister bracket (cheap thin steel) not the bash plate.
__________________
2000 Kawasaki W650
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #7575
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
I meant bend the canister bracket (cheap thin steel) not the bash plate.
No, I understood your point, I just didn't want to do anything (scuff it etc.) the skid plate at all unless I had to return it. Now I know it will fit, I will break out the BFH
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015