Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #7591
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,724
Has anybody from the US fitted a SW Motech skid plate ? If you have, did the skid plate hit the charcoal canister ? Just tried to fit mine and there is a little lip at the back on the side where the canister is and it hits it and thus won't fit. I guess I can just bend the lip but I wanted to check with the inmates before I do that.

Cheers
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #7592
Moore_Power
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Has anybody from the US fitted a SW Motech skid plate ? If you have, did the skid plate hit the charcoal canister ? Just tried to fit mine and there is a little lip at the back on the side where the canister is and it hits it and thus won't fit. I guess I can just bend the lip but I wanted to check with the inmates before I do that.

Cheers
I'm not sure about the SW Motech skid plate, But, When I installed the SW Motech Centerstand I had to remove the charcoal canister. Of course now the website where I purchased it from says "The current design fits Canadian and European bikes only." It seems SW Motech's design team did not take the canister into consideration, mostly because the bikes they used to fit their parts didn't have the canister.
On a side note, I have not had any problems with my charcoal canister removed.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #7593
ButtonPushingMonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Please tell us more

So basically I simply tilted the screen back a bit to clean up the flow hitting my head and allow some flow below the windscreen which in my experience reduces buffeting. I need to pick up a cluple black stoppers to clean up the look a little by plugging the old holes but it worked great for me (5'11")

ButtonPushingMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #7594
ButtonPushingMonkey
Adventurer

I should state the obvious...take the screen off, drill a pilot hole with a small bit then tape over the hole with masking tape. Once taped use a 1/2inch bit. High speed or slow speed and very little pressure will prevent you from cracking the screen. Once you have the hole drilled clean up the burrs with a file and move the grommit and fasteners to the new hole.

Be ready when you get to the end of the hole as the bit will catch and you want to let the drill spin rather than torque the screen. Reverse the direction and spin it thru that way. I can not overstate the need for very light pressure. If you keep it light it will not crack or chip the screen...if you get impatient and push down too hard you will be plunking down the cash for the OEM adjustable one as the one you have will be cracked when the bit catches.

ButtonPushingMonkey screwed with this post 08-01-2011 at 01:29 PM
Old 08-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #7595
Daytonacharlie
2 Wheeled Backpacker

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtonPushingMonkey View Post
..if you get impatient and push down too hard you will be plunking down the cash for the OEM adjustable one as the one you have will be cracked when the bit catches.

Sounds like the voice of experience.
One third of a gopher would only arouse my appetite without bedding it down.
Daytonacharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:39 PM   #7596
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtonPushingMonkey View Post
I should state the obvious...take the screen off, drill a pilot hole with a small bit then tape over the hole with masking tape. Once taped use a 1/2inch bit. High speed or slow speed and very little pressure will prevent you from cracking the screen. Once you have the hole drilled clean up the burrs with a file and move the grommit and fasteners to the new hole.

Be ready when you get to the end of the hole as the bit will catch and you want to let the drill spin rather than torque the screen. Reverse the direction and spin it thru that way. I can not overstate the need for very light pressure. If you keep it light it will not crack or chip the screen...if you get impatient and push down too hard you will be plunking down the cash for the OEM adjustable one as the one you have will be cracked when the bit catches.
The step drill bits work great in plastic.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #7597
ButtonPushingMonkey
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonacharlie View Post
Sounds like the voice of experience.
Yep...not on the pricy truimph though, I cracked the screen on a superhawk street fighter project back in the day
Old 08-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #7598
ButtonPushingMonkey
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
The step drill bits work great in plastic.
Agreed, as does a heated section of copper tubing which is what I would normally use but the angle of the screen right there would make it difficult to make a clean punch
Old 08-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #7599
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moore_Power View Post
I'm not sure about the SW Motech skid plate, But, When I installed the SW Motech Centerstand I had to remove the charcoal canister. Of course now the website where I purchased it from says "The current design fits Canadian and European bikes only." It seems SW Motech's design team did not take the canister into consideration, mostly because the bikes they used to fit their parts didn't have the canister.
On a side note, I have not had any problems with my charcoal canister removed.
I assume you got it from Twisted Throttle ? I saw the bit about the center stand and that's what made me get the Triumph stand.

I just double-checked and there is no mention on the site about the skid plate only fitting non-USA bikes so I'm a little confused at the moment.

So, you just took the canister off - what about the tubes and stuff, what did you do with them ? What exactly does the canister DO ? I know on the XRL's about the first people do with new bikes is give it a canisterectomy so I have to think it's not a vital piece of equipment....

Anybody care to chime in on the danger of removing the canister
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 08-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #7600
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,720
Quote:
Anybody care to chime in on the danger of removing the canister
You are tampering with the emission system which might be illegal. The canister is required for bikes sold in California.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #7601
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,479
Quote:
So, you just took the canister off - what about the tubes and stuff, what did you do with them ? What exactly does the canister DO ?
The sole purpose of the canister is to reduce the emission of unburned hydrocarbons from the bike. It does this by trapping gasoline vapors that evaporate from the gas tank. In the days before charcoal canisters, these fumes were simply vented to the atmosphere, contributing to smog.

The job of the canister is to trap these vapors, store them within the canister, and then when the engine is run the fumes are sucked into the intake manifold to be burned in the cylinders.

There is no performance penalty attached to the charcoal canister. Just a little bit of weight and a little bit of plumbing. If you do remove it, there is a probably a vacuum line you will have to plug at the throttle body.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #7602
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 236
Quote:

Cheers
Interesting... just got my SW Motech bash plate to replace my Triumph one (want more oil filter protection). Was planning to install tonight and will let you know if I have any issues. I was thinking that a bunch of guys had them installed already... maybe they were all non-U.S. bikes?
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #7603
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
The sole purpose of the canister is to reduce the emission of unburned hydrocarbons from the bike. It does this by trapping gasoline vapors that evaporate from the gas tank. In the days before charcoal canisters, these fumes were simply vented to the atmosphere, contributing to smog.

The job of the canister is to trap these vapors, store them within the canister, and then when the engine is run the fumes are sucked into the intake manifold to be burned in the cylinders.

There is no performance penalty attached to the charcoal canister. Just a little bit of weight and a little bit of plumbing. If you do remove it, there is a probably a vacuum line you will have to plug at the throttle body.
Many thanks Mr Jerk

I kinda figured that was the purpose etc. but just wanted to check.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 08-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #7604
zuma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
I rode a 800 Tiger here in Oz earlier in the year. Hot conditions, fair bit of slower speed running, my bike stalled more than a few times. When we returned from the ride others were complaining of the same problem.

Since then I have ridden a shop demo bike. Cooler weather, riding on my own at highway speeds, no problem at all (except with buffeting from the screen).
zuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #7605
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
You are tampering with the emission system which might be illegal. The canister is required for bikes sold in California.
Thanks

I don't live in California and to be honest, I could care less about it being illegal - it's a stupid idea to begin with (the canister was gone from my XRL when I bought it and I've had no issues with it being 'illegal').
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple