ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #7606
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomx971 View Post
Interesting... just got my SW Motech bash plate to replace my Triumph one (want more oil filter protection). Was planning to install tonight and will let you know if I have any issues. I was thinking that a bunch of guys had them installed already... maybe they were all non-U.S. bikes?
Please do. You'll (probably) see there is a lip that hits the canister and so it just won't fit properly. I also thought I'd seen/heard of US bikes being fitted with the SW Motech skid plate but mebbe not
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #7607
bug67
Hazard Avoidance
 
bug67's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Hereandnow, AK
Oddometer: 724
I have the SW Motech bash plate fitted. While the charcoal canister was indeed a tight fit, I was able to move things around by hand with no problems.

__________________
Past: '04 Ducati Monster 620, '05 BMW R1200GS, '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
Present: '09 Triumph Street Triple R, '13
Triumph Trophy SE
Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #7608
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by bug67 View Post
I have the SW Motech bash plate fitted. While the charcoal canister was indeed a tight fit, I was able to move things around by hand with no problems.

Excellent, thanks for the photo. So you didn't have to re-locate the canister at all ?
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #7609
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!
 
The Jerk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Oddometer: 2,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by bug67 View Post
I have the SW Motech bash plate fitted. While the charcoal canister was indeed a tight fit, I was able to move things around by hand with no problems.

Looks like that lip is made specifically to fit with the canister. The canister is kinda loosely and flexibly attached (secured thru a grommet at the front end and one screw at the rear) so one should be able to at least bend the bracket enough to make it fit with the bash plate.
__________________
2000 Kawasaki W650
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #7610
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,817
I fitted the SW Motech crash bars today. I was a little worried that it would not give the rads enough protection but as I think the pictures will show, I don't think it will be an issue. I will say the bars are very solid and I think they'll do just fine.











__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #7611
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Looks like that lip is made specifically to fit with the canister. The canister is kinda loosely and flexibly attached (secured thru a grommet at the front end and one screw at the rear) so one should be able to at least bend the bracket enough to make it fit with the bash plate.
You may well be right, I just didn't want to force it unless I had to return the bash plate. I'll give it another go.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #7612
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!
 
The Jerk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Oddometer: 2,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
You may well be right, I just didn't want to force it unless I had to return the bash plate. I'll give it another go.
I meant bend the canister bracket (cheap thin steel) not the bash plate.
__________________
2000 Kawasaki W650
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #7613
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
I meant bend the canister bracket (cheap thin steel) not the bash plate.
No, I understood your point, I just didn't want to do anything (scuff it etc.) the skid plate at all unless I had to return it. Now I know it will fit, I will break out the BFH
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #7614
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
and what it sounds like when we tried to start it yesterday. Cheryl tweaked the throttle cable and no stalls after that for now.


One thing I just thought about (don't know why I didn't remember it before) - how do you turn the bike off ? I ask since there is/was an issue with Sprint's whereby if you turn it off using the kill switch, this can screw up the TPS when you next come to start the bike. I see you have tank bags and I know on my XRL I use the kill switch to turn the bike off when I have a tank bag since it's easier.

Just a thought....
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #7615
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!
 
The Jerk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Oddometer: 2,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
One thing I just thought about (don't know why I didn't remember it before) - how do you turn the bike off ? I ask since there is/was an issue with Sprint's whereby if you turn it off using the kill switch, this can screw up the TPS when you next come to start the bike. I see you have tank bags and I know on my XRL I use the kill switch to turn the bike off when I have a tank bag since it's easier.

Just a thought....
Interesting thought. Both FI Triumphs I've owned have had a statement in the owner's manual specifically stating that the kill switch should not be used to turn the engine off except in case of emergency. In normal use, the ignition switch should be used to stop the engine. The ECU does not get a proper shutdown if you use the kill switch to stop the engine - it's kind of analagous to pulling the plug on your computer instead of using the normal shutdown procedure.

I kind of doubt this would cause the issues that people are seeing (more likely I would just think that it would screw up the adaption) but you never know.
__________________
2000 Kawasaki W650
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #7616
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Interesting thought. Both FI Triumphs I've owned have had a statement in the owner's manual specifically stating that the kill switch should not be used to turn the engine off except in case of emergency. In normal use, the ignition switch should be used to stop the engine. The ECU does not get a proper shutdown if you use the kill switch to stop the engine - it's kind of analagous to pulling the plug on your computer instead of using the normal shutdown procedure.

I kind of doubt this would cause the issues that people are seeing (more likely I would just think that it would screw up the adaption) but you never know.
I agree, I'm not convinced that's the issue here but I did want to throw it out there - it was seeing the video with the great big tank bag that jogged my memory. Using the kill switch on the XRL is not an issue since, well, the bike's technology is pre-historic
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #7617
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,817
Finally got the bash plate to fit. I had to bend the lip that interferes with the canister about 1/4" to 1/2" to make it fit. I bent the bracket holding the canister as much as I could - there simply was no more physical room for the canister to fit into - it was tight pretty much against everything. There is no way on earth that bash plate would fit without bending that lip.

Oh well...done now
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #7618
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!
 
The Jerk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Oddometer: 2,520
I was just looking through the service manual regarding the discussion a page or two back about the stepper motor or idle speed control motor as they call it.

Here's what the service manual has to say about this part:

"Throttle stepper motor:
Situated between the throttle bodies of cylinders two and three. The throttle stepper actuates a cam/lever which causes variations in the closed throttle position. Although used primarily to ensure target idle speed is maintained, it also increases throttle opening when the engine is cold."

FYI.
__________________
2000 Kawasaki W650
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #7619
bug67
Hazard Avoidance
 
bug67's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Hereandnow, AK
Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Finally got the bash plate to fit. I had to bend the lip that interferes with the canister about 1/4" to 1/2" to make it fit. I bent the bracket holding the canister as much as I could - there simply was no more physical room for the canister to fit into - it was tight pretty much against everything. There is no way on earth that bash plate would fit without bending that lip.

Oh well...done now
Wow! All I had to do was push the bottom of the canister in towards to bike. Didn't have to "bend" anything.
__________________
Past: '04 Ducati Monster 620, '05 BMW R1200GS, '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
Present: '09 Triumph Street Triple R, '13
Triumph Trophy SE
Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #7620
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by bug67 View Post
Wow! All I had to do was push the bottom of the canister in towards to bike. Didn't have to "bend" anything.
Maybe they changed something - no way it was going to fit without bending the tab. I'll take a picture in the morning of how close it is.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014