Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #7621
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Maybe they changed something - no way it was going to fit without bending the tab. I'll take a picture in the morning of how close it is.
I just put my SW Motech plate on. Pretty obvious they didn't have a U.S. bike when they designed it. Didn't have to bend anything on the plate. I loosened the allen bolt at the rear of the canister to let it move as I put the plate on. If you didn't loosen that bolt, you might try that, there seems to be quite a bit of play around that hole in the bracket. The plate pushes the canister inboard, but nothing severe. Going to want to keep an eye on the nuts holding it on since I think the new plate is thicker and they all don't quite make it to the lock ring now on some of them.

If anyone is interested in the Triumph bash plate I just took off (about 2000 miles on it, nice gravel patina on it), PM me.
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #7622
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomx971 View Post
I just put my SW Motech plate on. Pretty obvious they didn't have a U.S. bike when they designed it. Didn't have to bend anything on the plate. I loosened the allen bolt at the rear of the canister to let it move as I put the plate on. If you didn't loosen that bolt, you might try that, there seems to be quite a bit of play around that hole in the bracket. The plate pushes the canister inboard, but nothing severe. Going to want to keep an eye on the nuts holding it on since I think the new plate is thicker and they all don't quite make it to the lock ring now on some of them.

If anyone is interested in the Triumph bash plate I just took off (about 2000 miles on it, nice gravel patina on it), PM me.
My buddy used the SW Moto tech skid plat on his v-strom the two tone color looks nice but the first time he smacked a rock he lost a couple rivets. Thats the problem with the SW Moto tech skid plate is its actually 3 pieces riveted together. I have the touratech skidplate on my Xcountry and its really tough and is a single welded piece. The Altrider skid plate for the 800XC looks real sweet buts its not yet released. When i get my Tiger this winter I'm going to go with the Altrider skid plate thats if its as good of quality as it looks
Attached Images

Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:51 AM   #7623
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
Quote:
One thing I just thought about (don't know why I didn't remember it before) - how do you turn the bike off ? I ask since there is/was an issue with Sprint's whereby if you turn it off using the kill switch, this can screw up the TPS when you next come to start the bike.
That's an interesting point. Even my carbed Bonneville came with instructions from Triumph to always use the ignition switch to turn the bike off. I'm pretty sure the same warning can be found in the Tiger's owner's manual.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #7624
urquell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Tiger 800 Stalling

Just a quick update regarding my previously described stalling problems.

First, I am continuing to ride and the stalling occurred for a third time. It was during nearly identical circumstances. The bike would not idle at a stop sign. In my previous post, I had said it would not idle at 800 rpm. This was an error on my part. My bike usually idles at about 1400 rpm, not 800. I shut the bike down right away for five minutes, restarted, and had no problems for the remaining thirty minutes of my ride. Several other rides were event-free.

I received my DealerTool, and just as The Jerk had predicted there were no faults recorded. I have made an appointment for service, but they are so busy it won't be for two weeks. My dealer told me that he has seen two similar problems with stalling on BMW bikes in which the culprit was the charcoal canister. I'll post an update when I know more.
urquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #7625
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by urquell View Post
Just a quick update regarding my previously described stalling problems.

First, I am continuing to ride and the stalling occurred for a third time. It was during nearly identical circumstances. The bike would not idle at a stop sign. In my previous post, I had said it would not idle at 800 rpm. This was an error on my part. My bike usually idles at about 1400 rpm, not 800. I shut the bike down right away for five minutes, restarted, and had no problems for the remaining thirty minutes of my ride. Several other rides were event-free.

I received my DealerTool, and just as The Jerk had predicted there were no faults recorded. I have made an appointment for service, but they are so busy it won't be for two weeks. My dealer told me that he has seen two similar problems with stalling on BMW bikes in which the culprit was the charcoal canister. I'll post an update when I know more.
Do you use the kill switch or the key to turn the bike off ? What about the charcoal canister was causing the stalling ?

Good Luck
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:43 AM   #7626
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
That's an interesting point. Even my carbed Bonneville came with instructions from Triumph to always use the ignition switch to turn the bike off. I'm pretty sure the same warning can be found in the Tiger's owner's manual.

--mark
I think it's in every manual - the only people that make you use the kill switch are when you're on the MSF course (well they did for me...)
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 08-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #7627
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
The 800GS charcoal canister stalling problem was confined to the USA (the only county to require them) and was attributed to two things. (1) the canister vent hose was pulling in water. This was fixed by installing a "T" vent (much like a plumbing stack) in the line. (2) Overfilled gas tanks were overflowing into the canister. Fix was to stop overfilling the gas tank, particularly on a hot day.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #7628
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
The 800GS charcoal canister stalling problem was confined to the USA (the only county to require them) and was attributed to two things. (1) the canister vent hose was pulling in water. This was fixed by installing a "T" vent (much like a plumbing stack) in the line. (2) Overfilled gas tanks were overflowing into the canister. Fix was to stop overfilling the gas tank, particularly on a hot day.
Thanks Jim. That is good to know. I assume that if you do indeed fill the canister with water and/or gas, the fix is as simple as emptying it (into an approved container of course ) ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 08-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #7629
urquell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Tiger 800 Stalling

I never use the kill switch to turn off the bike.
urquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #7630
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urquell View Post
I never use the kill switch to turn off the bike.

I guess we can scratch that as a possible cause then....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 08-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #7631
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
This is interesting. I'm now convinced that my XC died in the stream Saturday because the charcoal canister sucked in water.

Do you know where the T mod was/ is located on the BMW's?
Old 08-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #7632
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
I was just looking through the service manual regarding the discussion a page or two back about the stepper motor or idle speed control motor as they call it.

Here's what the service manual has to say about this part:

"Throttle stepper motor:
Situated between the throttle bodies of cylinders two and three. The throttle stepper actuates a cam/lever which causes variations in the closed throttle position. Although used primarily to ensure target idle speed is maintained, it also increases throttle opening when the engine is cold."

FYI.
FWIW my high idling XC was diagnosed with a bad stepper motor and throttle position sensor. The fix (in Triumh's diagnosis) was to replace the entire throttle body assembly. Both the stepper motor and TPS are on that assembly.

FWIW again, the high idle issue is gone. Now my bike has the stalling issue...

I'm intrigued by the discussion about the charcoal canister. Might be on to something?
Old 08-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #7633
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks Jim. That is good to know. I assume that if you do indeed fill the canister with water and/or gas, the fix is as simple as emptying it (into an approved container of course ) ?

I guess so. I have no idea where it is on the Tiger.
Many of the GS guys just yanked the canister. End of problem
But since the Tiger stalling is world wide the canister most likely isn't the problem. Well except maybe the rider who stalled running through deep water.

TAMPAJIM screwed with this post 08-02-2011 at 05:38 PM
TAMPAJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #7634
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano955 View Post
This is interesting. I'm now convinced that my XC died in the stream Saturday because the charcoal canister sucked in water.

They cut off the rubber vent/drain hose after if exited the canister, installed a "T" tube fitting, one end going down. the other was led as high as possible up under the seat. It breaks the vacuum so that water couldn't be sucked into the canister. The original configuration had the drain hose led down near the rear tire where it was subject to a lot of water when it rained. (and I assume when crossing streams)

TAMPAJIM screwed with this post 08-02-2011 at 12:07 PM
TAMPAJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #7635
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano955 View Post

From Mr Jerk's explanation above, I wonder what the right-angled pipe that exits the canister towards the front is for ? I assume (and again we all know how that goes) that is an overflow for when/if the canister fills up

The 2 at the back I guess are the inlet from the gas tank and the outlet to the throttle bodies ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple