Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #7711
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,441
I have noticed the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlost View Post
I have noticed something interesting. Off and on the sound of the bike will change to a deeper throatier tone, usally after restarting when warm (like after a fuel stop). The first time it happened the change of note was significant enough that I actually got off the bike and checked for an exhaust gasket leak. No problem with performance and after the next restart it was gone. This has happened several times since. last time was yesterday after a fuel stop. I actually like the sound of the bike when it does this. It is not louder, but significantly deeper sounding. I wish it would stay that way.

Has anyone else noticed this? Any idea what is happening?

I am all ears

Paul

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #7712
MJNygs
El Duderino

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
I have noticed something interesting. Off and on the sound of the bike will change to a deeper throatier tone, usally after restarting when warm (like after a fuel stop). The first time it happened the change of note was significant enough that I actually got off the bike and checked for an exhaust gasket leak. No problem with performance and after the next restart it was gone. This has happened several times since. last time was yesterday after a fuel stop. I actually like the sound of the bike when it does this. It is not louder, but significantly deeper sounding. I wish it would stay that way.

I am all ears

Paul
Come to think of it, when I have had stalling issues it has almost always occurred during the ride following a warm restart... coincidence?
MJNygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #7713
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Has a dealer technician worked on your bike so far? When they work on this problem, supposedly they contact and provide data to a central Triumph technician who then provide your dealer technician a route to fix the problem.

If a technician has worked on it, what has been done?

And if their work did not resolve the issue, have you called Triumph to inform them that what they, Triumph, suggested to your technician as a fix did not work?

Finally, if these steps have been done, have you heard anything from Triumph about next steps?

Please note, an arrow exhaust map is not a solution to this problem unless that map becomes the official map for this bike.

Just in case, customer service is 678-854-2010, extension 2064.

Thanks
Lion

Yes they have looked at it. I do believe I am the first to post on here about the issue. Its way back on page 444. A couple weeks ago Corporate Triumph had my bike hooked to a computer here at my dealer running some tests over the internet. They say they are working on a fix. My dealer still stands by the fact that it is a software issue. At first I wanted to doubt that fact but I am glad I stood by their decision because guys on here that are having parts replaced and lots of in house money spent still have the issue. For now I am chillin out with the Arrow tune. Since it was installed I havnt done a lot of riding so I'm not sure this worked but I will find out this weekend!!!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #7714
MMasz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
The TIger’s cajones are growing!

Quote:

I am all ears

Paul
’00 BMR R1100R: in the past:'07 Suzuki DRZ400S; '95 BMW R1100RS- Stolen ; '88 Suzuki Katana 1100; '78 Suzuki GS1000; '76 Yamaha XS750- while parked, was totalled by an Army Gama Goat; '69 Bridgestone 200 Mach II; '69 Honda Trail 50.
MMasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #7715
MMasz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
On my sort list to replace my ride is the Tiger or the Scrambler, but after reading about this problem here and other threads here on ADV, namely Cheryl and Leslie’s RR, I’m going to hold off since the closest dealer is 1 1/2 hours away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Yes they have looked at it. I do believe I am the first to post on here about the issue. Its way back on page 444. A couple weeks ago Corporate Triumph had my bike hooked to a computer here at my dealer running some tests over the internet. They say they are working on a fix. My dealer still stands by the fact that it is a software issue. At first I wanted to doubt that fact but I am glad I stood by their decision because guys on here that are having parts replaced and lots of in house money spent still have the issue. For now I am chillin out with the Arrow tune. Since it was installed I havnt done a lot of riding so I'm not sure this worked but I will find out this weekend!!!
’00 BMR R1100R: in the past:'07 Suzuki DRZ400S; '95 BMW R1100RS- Stolen ; '88 Suzuki Katana 1100; '78 Suzuki GS1000; '76 Yamaha XS750- while parked, was totalled by an Army Gama Goat; '69 Bridgestone 200 Mach II; '69 Honda Trail 50.
MMasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:51 PM   #7716
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMasz View Post
On my sort list to replace my ride is the Tiger or the Scrambler, but after reading about this problem here and other threads here on ADV, namely Cheryl and Leslie’s RR, I’m going to hold off since the closest dealer is 1 1/2 hours away.
Firstly, there's a very good chance that, if you go ahead and buy one, your bike will not have the problem. My guess is that there are significantly more good ones than bad ones out there.
Secondly, I swapped from a Scrambler to the T800XC because, although the Scram could do the rough stuff, it beat me to death every time because of the poor suspension and lack of travel in that suspension. The Tiger just makes it easy.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #7717
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMasz View Post
From the ladies last post:

"We will someday own this bike for real.

The stalling issue has not deterred us from ever thinking these are fantastic bikes. The engines are sound and the overall bikes performance out way any stalling problems. We would take these bikes over our Beemers in a heart beat and NO we are not being paid or made to say anything positive about the Tigers. We both without a doubt believe in this bike and truly have loved being able to take a trip like this on them."
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #7718
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,545
I would almost bet money that any and all who are having stalling issues are not riding the bike as it should be ridden... Meaning they are running at too low of an RPM. Shift down a gear or two and ride the damn things... Problem solved.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #7719
MJNygs
El Duderino

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I would almost bet money that any and all who are having stalling issues are not riding the bike as it should be ridden... Meaning they are running at too low of an RPM. Shift down a gear or two and ride the damn things... Problem solved.
I'll take that bet.
MJNygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #7720
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,293
Quote:

Me TOO! You dont have enough money! When and where you want to meet?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #7721
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Really? You serious? Read our RR and I bet you are seriously wrong about the stalling cause. http://advgrrls.com

Would love to know if you have taken your bike if you own one out of your driveway!

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #7722
soph9
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
From the ladies last post:

"We will someday own this bike for real.

The stalling issue has not deterred us from ever thinking these are fantastic bikes. The engines are sound and the overall bikes performance out way any stalling problems. We would take these bikes over our Beemers in a heart beat and NO we are not being paid or made to say anything positive about the Tigers. We both without a doubt believe in this bike and truly have loved being able to take a trip like this on them."
Anyone wanting to buy this bike should. Nice quote from our RR. It's true we will own this bike despite the stalling because Triumph will figure it out if they haven't all ready. They will be able to take our bikes a part and learn anything they want. The bikes will have about 9000 miles on them by the time we are done and those miles were not all kind on the bikes.

---
Old 08-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #7723
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
YOU lo

Quote:
DAKEZ --Have you rode a Tiger800xc? I have one and it is not because the are being rode at to low of an RPM, you do not have a clue. They stall at their own choosing, usually when slowing to a stop, or taking off. Rod
Old 08-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #7724
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Really? You serious? Read our RR and I bet you are seriously wrong about the stalling cause. http://advgrrls.com

Would love to know if you have taken your bike if you own one out of your driveway! ()
What rpm's did you cruise at?

I stand by my statement. You likely short shift the bike and cruise at too low of an rpm. If I am wrong on this by all means correct me. To snip back with the: "... taken your bike out of the driveway" Makes me think I am right even more than before. So you rode to Alaska... Great! Thanks for the pictures... Hope you had fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodT View Post
DAKEZ --Have you rode a Tiger800xc?

No, I have not "rode" one... But YES I have ridden one... and like many others I did not experience a stalling issue. I am not saying it doesn't happen... I am saying that not running the engine the way it is designed to be run might indeed be behind the fuel mapping glitch.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 08-04-2011 at 02:56 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #7725
soph9
Bike Addict

Would love for you to enlighten us as to how to ride the XC. If you want to get any gas mileage out of this bike it needs to be kept within the 4500 rpm range but in reality the bike hovers and is really happy between 5500-6000 rpms. If you ride like that you use 5.9 litres per 100 km. If you keep the rpms at 4500 you will use 4.7 litres. In any case the rpms have nothing to do with our stalling issues and I will take you on your own bet.

I'll make sure to post the post little Alaska trip we are on service report if we are privy to it. Glad you like the pics and yeah we are proud of this "little" adventure to Alaska and beyond.

---