User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #7726
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Go buy one

[QUOTE=DAKEZ;16553436]What rpm's did you cruise at?

I stand by my statement. You likely short shift the bike and cruise at too low of an rpm. If I am wrong on this by all means correct me. To snip back with the: "... taken your bike out of the driveway" Makes me think I am right even more than before. So you rode to Alaska... Great! Thanks for the pictures... Hope you had fun.

No, I have not "rode" one... But YES I have ridden one... and like many others I did not experience a stalling issue. I am not saying it doesn't happen... I am saying that not running the engine the way it is designed to be run might indeed be behind the fuel mapping glitch.[/QU
Go buy a new Tiger, and ride it for more then a few miles, then your opinion will mean something. I have been riding for over 40 years, and i don't just putt. Triumph knows their is a problem and are working on it.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #7727
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMasz View Post
On my sort list to replace my ride is the Tiger or the Scrambler, but after reading about this problem here and other threads here on ADV, namely Cheryl and Leslie’s RR, I’m going to hold off since the closest dealer is 1 1/2 hours away.

Wow, the Scrambler is a totally different bike. I could see passing on a T800XC to get a F800GS or passing on the T800 to get a F650GS. But the Scrambler really is in a different category. Down 30 odd hp, short travel suspension, no factory luggage, no trip computer, no tubeless tires. A great bike none the less, but not a great choice if you want all that a Tiger can do. Actually I can't see passing on the T800 for a F650GS, and in fact I didn't. I had a F650 single. I test rode a F650GS twin and the next day put the single up for sale, in the flea market in fact. I loved the F650GS twin. By the time the single sold the T.8K was out so I test rode it as well. As good as the BMW was, the T800 was that much better. I am a lucky owner of a non stalling edition, very lucky since my dealer is 70 miles away and my wife does not drive.

I went with all Triumph farkles. Heated grips, fog lights, tall adjustable wind screen, sump guard, and luggage. Next week I get my beak and Triumph headlight protector. The protector was a freebie from the dealer for referring a T800 customer to the shop.

I am considering the tire pressure system at my first tire change. Anyone have any experience with that yet?
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #7728
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodT View Post
Go buy a new Tiger, and ride it for more then
(than) a few miles, then your opinion will mean something. I have been riding for over 40 years, and i (I) don't just putt. Triumph knows their (there) is a problem and are working on it.
It seems obvious there is an issue and I am glad to see/hear that Triumph is working on a solution. The fact remains that it is a relatively small number of bikes having this issue which leads me to believe it might be something in how the bikes are being ridden. I am not saying this is the case… Just saying it is a possibility.

A similar issue arose with the f.i. F650’s in 2001/02.. Those who rode them hard never seemed to have a hesitation issue that those who didn’t run them hard were experiencing.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #7729
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
It seems obvious there is an issue and I am glad to see/hear that Triumph is working on a solution. The fact remains that it is a relatively small number of bikes having this issue which leads me to believe it might be something in how the bikes are being ridden. I am not saying this is the case… Just saying it is a possibility.

A similar issue arose with the f.i. F650’s in 2001/02.. Those who rode them hard never seemed to have a hesitation issue that those who didn’t run them hard were experiencing.
Thanks for correcting my Grammer, at least you know how to do something other than make wagers that mean nothing. I am so done with this rant.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #7730
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,283
Not sure how one could avoid riding a bike "hard" up here. The roads demand power and hard riding. Thousands of km have been done on mountainous roads and crappy roads.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #7731
ButtonPushingMonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Why are mommy and daddy fighting?
ButtonPushingMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #7732
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,598
Old 08-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #7733
E-town dirt dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Yes they have looked at it. I do believe I am the first to post on here about the issue. Its way back on page 444. A couple weeks ago Corporate Triumph had my bike hooked to a computer here at my dealer running some tests over the internet. They say they are working on a fix. My dealer still stands by the fact that it is a software issue. At first I wanted to doubt that fact but I am glad I stood by their decision because guys on here that are having parts replaced and lots of in house money spent still have the issue. For now I am chillin out with the Arrow tune. Since it was installed I havnt done a lot of riding so I'm not sure this worked but I will find out this weekend!!!
Mine started stalling right after they did the first service. It stalls when pulling away. Sometimes it just gives a bit of a hiccup then goes. Sometimes it just dies. It's not due to riding technique because the bike ran fine before the service. The dealer was not able to fix it yet. They know I"m not bullshitting them because the same thing happened to their demo bike. They want a solution as much as me

E-town dirt dude screwed with this post 08-04-2011 at 04:53 PM
E-town dirt dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #7734
tedesco886
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Back to my theory, who has the stalling problem AND an aftermarket exhaust?
tedesco886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #7735
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
When the charcoal canister on the F800GS sucked water (on really rainy days or during water crossings), the bike stalled. And it killed the charcoal over time - which it then might have sucked into more sensible parts of the bike.

Solution was to put a T in the hose that went from the canister down to the lower parts of the bike and route a hose somewhere under the seat from it. That solution was suggested by a BMW mech on a forum and solved canister related stalling and was later the official change in the recall issued by BMW.

Worth a look.

Check out the F800GS findings here.
Makes sense. I was going to suggest looking for a vent tube or something sucking air ... the canister hoses could be doing just that. Perhaps hooked up wrong? Usually canisters are contaminated by overfilling fuel tank. Causes a kind of vapor lock.

In the meantime I'd stick to street riding and let the computer re-learn and re-set as the bike breaks in. Lots of F.I. bikes stall during break in.

Sounds like Triumph need to try some different tunes ... maybe reset the TPS? Perhaps and air leak linked to Canister plumbing? Best of luck!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #7736
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
New Review

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...0gs-91099.html
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #7737
MMasz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-town dirt dude View Post
Mine started stalling right after they did the first service. It stalls when pulling away. Sometimes it just gives a bit of a hiccup then goes. Sometimes it just dies. It's not due to riding technique because the bike ran fine before the service. The dealer was not able to fix it yet. They know I"m not bullshitting them because the same thing happened to their demo bike. They want a solution as much as me
Well, whatever the case is, I will wait until they get it fixed. If I had a dealer in town, I’d buy the Tiger now, but they’re 1 1/2 hours away.
’00 BMR R1100R: in the past:'07 Suzuki DRZ400S; '95 BMW R1100RS- Stolen ; '88 Suzuki Katana 1100; '78 Suzuki GS1000; '76 Yamaha XS750- while parked, was totalled by an Army Gama Goat; '69 Bridgestone 200 Mach II; '69 Honda Trail 50.
MMasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #7738
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

I thought it was BMW who consistently tell owners "you are not riding the bike properly!!!" The old "Blame The Owner" method!

As unpopular as you opinion about "riding hard" is here ... I tend to agree with you. I've owned four or five F.I. bikes ... and nearly ALL had stalling probs when brand new. Riding them hard always helped or eliminated the problem within about 1000 miles.

In any case, it is pointless to dive in and make a bunch of changes to Tunes, TPS, or TB settings before the bike is FULLY broken in. During break in, everything is constantly changing. Once stable, that is the time to go through and carefully re-set all parameters, install the best Tune and sync TB's and reset TPS.

When I have ridden the XC I felt it was happiest between about 5K RPM and 8K RPM. Sweet spot ... with the occasional bump off the rev limiter.
Here's hoping a solution will present itself .... and soon.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #7739
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

XC800R? Anyone?

With Triumph's continuing rave reviews in the Moto press with nearly ALL their bikes (XC800 included), would anyone predict a future "R" version of the T800XC, similar to the stunning Daytona 675R?

No doubt bargain priced Ohlins front and rear would sweeten the deal for the XC ... but what else could Triumph come up with to make a better overall package?

No question the current Street Triple R will get the Daytona "R" treatment next ... could the Tiger XC be next in line for an "R"?

Maybe a few additional extras could be thrown in as well as trick suspension? "Special" bolt on rear sub frame? Or bolt on passenger pegs?
Maybe add an inch more travel/ground clearance? Bark busters/crash bars as standard? What else does it need?
Old 08-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #7740
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,283
Much better mounting/bracket system for the OEM panniers. Other than that as I have said before a info button for dash with easy on and off ABS. Near perfect bike in most aspects and if they give it more ground clearance might alienate the more vertically challenge. The way the XC and seat adjustments are presently makes this bike good for even a shorty like me at 5'41/2".

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote