Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2011, 06:36 AM   #7756
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by panorton View Post
My issue is fairly easy to ride around. i just need to take the engine gently above idle before setting off. I honestly couldn't guess whether it is mechanical in nature or software. I've read a few theories that seem possible. I'm taking a wait and see approach as it is still a fun bike to ride and don't want it sitting in the shop.

I think the stalling "problem" problem is getting confused at this point. My bike, and I think most everone thats having the problem, is not stalling durring take off. The big problem is when you come to a stop light or to a stop for any reason, the RPM's begin to drop while the clutch is in, then eventually the RPM's drop completly off and the bike dies. Or sometimes wont flutter at all and just drop completly off. From what I have read some wont idle at all, or at least after they get super hot. If you arent used to the bike thats one thing. What most are reffereing to is completely un preventable.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:55 AM   #7757
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Your going to sell bikes and you believe crazy things like how its the riders fault???!.
Go back and re-read my posts. Here let me help you out since you seem to be inept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
It seems obvious there is an issue and I am glad to see/hear that Triumph is working on a solution. The fact remains that it is a relatively small number of bikes having this issue which leads me to believe it might be something in how the bikes are being ridden. I am not saying this is the case… Just saying it is a possibility.

A similar issue arose with the f.i. F650’s in 2001/02.. Those who rode them hard never seemed to have a hesitation issue that those who didn’t run them hard were experiencing.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 08-05-2011 at 07:03 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:05 AM   #7758
ButtonPushingMonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
So, being a technical sort of guy that has to deal with bugs and flaws on a daily basis this sort of issue intrigues me. In my line of work I find that many times several completely unrelated client side issues are attributed to a server side bug simply because a known issue is occurring. This can muddy the waters a bit and end up delaying the main issue resolution. The trick is weeding out the ID10T errors from the valid ones.

In this case because of the length of the thread it can be a bit hard to judge who simply needs to adjust their riding style to account for a tall geared, light flywheel bike and those actually affected by a fueling/ignition/tb opening bug. If there is a bug it should fit into a pattern that is fairly consistent that will weed out the people not actually having the issues.

The devil is in the details. Getting everyone we know with the stalling issue to answer the following would help.

What modifications to the stock setup are in place?
How many miles were on the bike when you first noticed the stalling?
Was anything out of the ordinary done to the bike just prior to that?
Does the outside or bike temperature seem to make a difference in the frequency of the stalls?
Does the stalling occur more frequently after fully filling the tank?
If so does a partial fill produce the same results?
Does the stalling ever occur when you are moving, but with the clutch engaged?
Does the stalling occur more at long stop lights or short stop and go stops?
Does the stall ever occur while stopped but with the clutch fully engaged in 1st(ie not starting to go)?
How about in N just sitting there?
Does the rpm fluctuate while you are stopped just prior to the stall?
If so explain and does it fluctuate on non-stall stops?
Does it stall mainly when leaving the stop?
If so does it make a difference if it was a stop that you stayed in first and held the clutch in or a stop that you shifted into N, let out the clutch, pulled the clutch in, shifted back into 1 before trying to leave?
Can you consistently reproduce the stalling? If so what steps do you take that more often than not result in a stall?
ButtonPushingMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:34 AM   #7759
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 103
Vzuke, my experience is very similar to yours...I consider myself very fortunate not to have had any stalling issues. I had the Arrow from the get-go with the stock map and it ran fairly well. Once they installed the new map, it has run fantastically. I definitely feel the heat on my thighs more than I did on my Aprilia, but it isn't overly annoying...maybe I'm just used to it from living in the desert. Another plus: oil changes on this bike are about the easiest of any motorcycle I've ever owned. Last night I did the 6000 mile service. I loosened the two front bolts holding the bash plate to give me a little more room to maneuver around the oil filter...other than that, easy-peasy. Now if I only knew how to extinguish the service dogbone on the dash...
Old 08-05-2011, 07:39 AM   #7760
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Go back and re-read my posts. Here let me help you out since you seem to be inept.

Oh I read it. Still doesnt make you intellegent. And still doesnt make you right. Ive been riding and racing bikes for years. This stalling issue is not my fault! Im still waiting on when and where you want to meet to settle this once and for all!
Old 08-05-2011, 07:59 AM   #7761
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Oh I read it. Still doesnt make you intellegent. And still doesnt make you right. Ive been riding and racing bikes for years. This stalling issue is not my fault! Im still waiting on when and where you want to meet to settle this once and for all!
The stalling issue is not rider related if it is one if the issues we are all having. Enough blame on the rider and we all just need a permanent fix. Our temporary fixes have worked most of our trip and we will get home safely. It's not the rider.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #7762
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
With Triumph's continuing rave reviews in the Moto press with nearly ALL their bikes (XC800 included), would anyone predict a future "R" version of the T800XC, similar to the stunning Daytona 675R?

I've been saying since before the T800 even began shipping that I would be shocked if Triumph didn't release an "XC R"-type model within a few years. I would expect it to come with fully-adjustable suspension, possibly standard aluminum skidplate and crashbars, maybe even knobby tires from the factory.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #7763
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
This stalling issue is not my fault! Im still waiting on when and where you want to meet to settle this once and for all!

Meaning what?
Old 08-05-2011, 09:08 AM   #7764
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,960
Stalling issue

I'm taking delivery up my NEW 800XC later today, it'll have theTOR tune installed.

I asked about the stalling issue and was told It was possibly related to the installation of any new tune. He said when a new tune is installed the initial ride must be at a constant speed for 20 minutes. That may explain why the issue crops up after the first service.

When I take delivery I ask about a cure for those that stall because they were not ridden in that manner immediately
following the installation of a new tune.

I owned an '06 Buell Uly and the "20 minute ride" is the same process used on that bike.

Regards, Paul
Old 08-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #7765
NC Scott
MOmymamamamaMOmymama

Oddometer: 1,498
Quote:
Eye of the TIGER Rock! Eye of the Tiger!
Old 08-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #7766
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
I would almost bet money that any and all who are having stalling issues are not riding the bike as it should be ridden... Meaning they are running at too low of an RPM. Shift down a gear or two and ride the damn things... Problem solved.

Meaning what?
You tell me. Your the one that put the bet on the table.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #7767
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Scott View Post
Eye of the TIGER Rock! Eye of the Tiger!

Eh no fighting, just a classic Im right your wrong. Its more fun that wayBetter yet I just hope his bike starts stalling next time he rides it. Then we'll see who's whining. Karmas a bitch.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #7768
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
I asked about the stalling issue and was told It was possibly related to the installation of any new tune. He said when a new tune is installed the initial ride must be at a constant speed for 20 minutes. That may explain why the issue crops up after the first service.
I don't buy that at all, not to mention the impossibility of riding at a constant speed for 20 minutes.

However, when a new tune is loaded, the bike should be left to idle without touching the throttle until the TPS adaption is complete. This can take 10-15 minutes or so so perhaps that's what the tech was referring to.

However I doubt this as the cause of the problem. Surely procedural errors by the dealership (ie not letting TPS adaption take place) would be one of the troubleshooting steps when speaking with Triumph. I'm sure they'd go through that again before replacing throttle bodies.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #7769
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Eh no fighting, just a classic Im right your wrong. Its more fun that wayBetter yet I just hope his bike starts stalling next time he rides it. Then we'll see who's whining. Karmas a bitch.
Unlike you I do not whine and snivel.

And unlike you I hope that you get your stalling issue sorted out soon.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #7770
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Mine has 3000 miles and has been stalling since 800 miles. Is that broke in yet? Let me answer that for you. I dont want any room for confusion. The answer is Yes! Some are having the problem at 8000 + miles. The bike doesnt die while driving down the road. It doesnt matter where the bike is "happy", or where the "sweet" spot is! The bike dies at idle! I will repeat. AT IDLE!
So what do you think is going on? What does your dealer say? Have you (or your dealer) called Triumph USA in Georgia and spoken with a Tech?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote