Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #766
Keithy
Chaotically Keith

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
MCN (UK) will test ride the bike next week (27th).
I'd better go reserve my copy! ;)
Keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:17 AM   #767
Maniac28
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
I have the same question as Stu, where is the gas carried on this bike? The thing I like about my 800GS is the gas is below the seat. Makes the bike feel lighter and smaller than it is. Also helps low speed handling greatly.

Yeah I agree, triple engines are off the hook, but if the bike feels top heavy like a KLR with a full tank, it will lose most of its appeal (to me).
www.pbase.com/ischoenleber
Maniac28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:33 AM   #768
DustyDevil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18

Here is a photo of the new Tiger I had not seen yet.

http://www.blogtriumphchepassione.co...tigerXC_03.jpg
DustyDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #769
WormShanks
b00b

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac28
Yeah I agree, triple engines are off the hook, but if the bike feels top heavy like a KLR with a full tank, it will lose most of its appeal (to me).
This would very much be a deal breaker for me as well.

Ridden: AF AM AW AU AT AZ BS BH BD BB BY BW BV BR IO BN BG BF BI KH CM CA CZ DK SV GQ ER EE ET FK GI GR GP VA HN HK HU IS IN ID IR IQ KI KP KG LA LV LB LU NR NP NL AN NC NZ NI NE NO OM PK PR QA RE RO RU RW LC VC WS SM ST TM TC TV UG UA AE GB US UY UZ VU YE
WormShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #770
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
well there we have it. we've all see n the bike and those pics will continue to float. at this point triumph marketing scheme would be down right lame if they tried any more sneak shots as the full monty has been shown.
they would do right to just show some quality angle shots and start taking orders.

of course most dealers might not know what it looks like as they seem to be the last ones to ever find a pic of new bike.
there are exceptions but most seems to sit around and wait for "official" word from the factory, while the rest of us have known for some time.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #771
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
honestly don't see a whole lotta design differences.
both have tubular frame, 800cc motor, 21/17 tires on spoked wheels, gold usd forks, beak & sub fender, twin lights, small windshield.

small differences in which side chain is on and where the tank is located.

tripple vrs twin is about it and both bikes will be sold in the same building in the us. maybe dealerships will sit them side by side and let the masses make the choice. guess is tiger has huge tank compared to gs that will be the deciding factor. alot guy buy a klr on this fact alone vrs other bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu
Triple vs. twin.

The distinguishing quality, the hallmark of the Hinckley Triumph brand is the three cylinder motor.

Apart from that it has two wheels, forks, handlebars, and a seat, just like all of them... Where's the gas tank on these bikes?

I'm curious as to the price of it.

Just for comparison:

Thanks
CA Stu
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #772
Mr noname
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
guess is tiger has huge tank compared to gs that will be the deciding factor.
the key is total mileage, and another factor for that (except for tank volume) is fuel consumption...let's see how tiger does...
Mr noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #773
CrispieGee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance>
the key is total mileage, and another factor for that (except for tank volume) is fuel consumption...let's see how tiger does...
My thought as well. I've heard that the street version of the F800 gets 60+ mpg... not sure about how the GS version does. I've always been a fan of this bike's weight savings, nimbleness and fuel economy compared with the GS1200.

On the other hand, I've already decided that I need the sound of a triple in my life, so it would take some pretty dismal fuel mileage to make me change my mind away from the Tiger, at this point.
CrispieGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #774
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
honestly don't see a whole lotta design differences.
both have tubular frame, 800cc motor, 21/17 tires on spoked wheels, gold usd forks, beak & sub fender, twin lights, small windshield.

small differences in which side chain is on and where the tank is located.

tripple vrs twin is about it and both bikes will be sold in the same building in the us. maybe dealerships will sit them side by side and let the masses make the choice. guess is tiger has huge tank compared to gs that will be the deciding factor. alot guy buy a klr on this fact alone vrs other bikes.
Agree on the bigger tank....like to have one.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #775
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispieGee
On the other hand, I've already decided that I need the sound of a triple in my life, so it would take some pretty dismal fuel mileage to make me change my mind away from the Tiger, at this point.
Keep it under 80mph and you'll be fine
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:27 PM   #776
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak
they have a LOT of character and soul!
[in my deepest voice possible] oooooooohhhhhhh yeaaaaaaaahhhhhh!

The engine is like a menage a trois.
John Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:37 PM   #777
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 613
So what's going to happen in 12 days:13 hours :29 min from now???

The dealer I spoke to had the bike pictures on his iphone, but no official word.

As for where the fuel tank is, I don't much care as I am looking to replace a KLR. The only thing that I really want is the 450 - 500 km range on a single tank.
Yep, I don't hit the reserve till about 375 km's into a trip. Part of the reason I'm in no hurry to get the f800gs. I'm also hoping the Yamaha brings the 660Z over here, but I'm not holding my breath.

The Triumph could be a game changer for me, or at least change the bike that I covet

Oh it's now 12:13:22....
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #778
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofire409
So what's going to happen in 12 days:13 hours :29 min from now???

The dealer I spoke to had the bike pictures on his iphone, but no official word.

As for where the fuel tank is, I don't much care as I am looking to replace a KLR. The only thing that I really want is the 450 - 500 km range on a single tank.
Yep, I don't hit the reserve till about 375 km's into a trip. Part of the reason I'm in no hurry to get the f800gs. I'm also hoping the Yamaha brings the 660Z over here, but I'm not holding my breath.

The Triumph could be a game changer for me, or at least change the bike that I covet

Oh it's now 12:13:22....
That is going to be a question.

Going by both my bigger and smaller triples, magic 8-ball says odds are not good. My 2000 Speed Triple has only pulled 200(320km) mile tanks 4.6 US gal DEEP into the reserve and only because I couldn't find gas closer and it was ...puckering... watching the trip pass 200 miles and keep going.

My 675 Daytona might make it 140 (230km) miles before hitting reserve at 3.5 gal, and by all accounts the long stroke 800cc is a stroked 675, it DAMN sure sounds like it anyway. Not saying that the little Tiger is going to drink like my 'Tona that is a step removed from a race bike, but you get the idea.

In either case, unless the bike is carrying +5 US gallons of gas, there is going to be a BIG question mark on pulling a 375km range, and 500 is pretty much out of the question unless you find an extended range 7 gallon tank in the parts catalog.

Eitherway, just by nature of the inline triple, the airbox is under that tank somewhere and most of the fuel is actually behind the head (on my Daytona anyway) so I'm not sure how much fuel the thing could be carrying.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #779
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 718
Comparison

Every time I see these comparison shots:

I can't help but think look, the Tiger is actually loaded down and being ridden and the BMW is posing for a nice clean studio shot. Just sayin'
Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #780
Mud Lightspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Bluhduh "Go your own way"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug67
Every time I see these comparison shots:

I can't help but think look, the Tiger is actually loaded down and being ridden and the BMW is posing for a nice clean studio shot. Just sayin'
I can't help but think, so much for the Triumph slogan "Go your own way". It's disappointing how similar it looks to the BMW.