Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #7801
LoriKTM
Wrecking Ball

Oddometer: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meles meles View Post
Look great. Do you know the weight for the Jesse racks and empty panniers?
Thanks.
We have the 9" Odyssey bags, and they weigh 14 pounds each, empty. I didn't get a chance to weigh the brackets before I mounted them, but they are probably another 7-10 pounds. So, figure about 40 pounds or less for the whole set up. The weight disappears once the bags are mounted on the bike. The Tiger rides very well while fully loaded. And still gets good gas mileage, too.

Just had my 6000 mile service done, and no issues whatsoever. More miles in four months than on the previous two street bikes I owned for over a year each (XR1200 and XB12R). I guess I'm liking the XC ok.
LoriKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #7802
Wheres_Bob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Oh I read it. Still doesnt make you intellegent. And still doesnt make you right. Ive been riding and racing bikes for years. This stalling issue is not my fault! Im still waiting on when and where you want to meet to settle this once and for all!

I have not been reading all the posts, so don't know if there is some reason you are being so sensitive and maybe there is a good reason for it, but I read the post. Well, I read what was copied from the post.

What I read strictly from this post is that DAKEZ DOES believe there is an issue, and beleives that Triumph is working on it. He does NOT blame the rider for doing something wrong. He states that riding style could have something to do with it. As in, maybe you are a gentle rider and that the bike needs to have the snot ridden out of it to clear up whatever the problem is. That does not make it the riders fault, just that the bike might favor a certain kind of riding style to another. Not that much of a stretch really as different riding styles as well as different conditions, fuels, etc can have an effect on a bike. If there is a problem with said bike, that particular issue could show up there. A good example might be an overheating problem. It might be shown that the only people that have the problem are people that squeeze the tank all the time, limiting air flow around a certain part of the engine. (or whatever, use your imagination). That does not say the rider is doing something wrong, just that riders that do that have the problem. This kind of thing helps in diagnosing problems.

One example I have seen is a fuel injected bike that ran, "odd" often. The rider had been told to remove the battery connections to charge the bike. Since the rider did not ride often, he would disconnect the battery cable and charge the bike often. Guess what? Without knowing the rider did this, diagnosing the problem was impossible. Once the rider stopped disconnecting the cable, the computer was happier and the bike ran pretty well after that. In this case it was not an issue with the bike, nor the rider doing something "wrong" but just a facts of life issue.

I could list a dozen examples of issues that were rider/driver action related, but not necessarily a fault of the rider/driver. Lets not take offense where no offense appears to be intended. There are enough intended insults on the internet without our looking for them.
Wheres_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #7803
Wheres_Bob
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtonPushingMonkey View Post
Not having the stalling issue right now I can tell you what I would try as a workaround until the fix was brought out by triumph...I would get the bike nice and hot, then adjust the throttle slack such that it had just enough tension to raise the rpm by 100 or so. Then I would ride it and see if that kept it from stalling if so, great if not I would up it again. That would at least allow me to not always have the "is it gonna stall?" sitting in my head every time I came to a stop while I waited for triumph to provide an update.

Basically the thought behind this is to put in just enough input to the tps to prevent the ecu from falling into the the bad idle mode. This is distinctly different than upping the ecu default idle speed...
The potential problem I can see with this is that some vehicles get really cranky if you start the bike with the throttle partly opened. Not sure about this bike, or how open the throttle would have to be to make it cranky. It IS worth a try, however. If for nothing else than to keep from getting creamed in traffic.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #7804
Wheres_Bob
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheres_Bob View Post
I have not been reading all the posts, so don't know if there is some reason you are being so sensitive and maybe there is a good reason for it, but I read the post.
I have since read some of the posts between you two. I will continue to read them out of morbid curiosity.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #7805
E-town dirt dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheres_Bob View Post
The potential problem I can see with this is that some vehicles get really cranky if you start the bike with the throttle partly opened. Not sure about this bike, or how open the throttle would have to be to make it cranky. It IS worth a try, however. If for nothing else than to keep from getting creamed in traffic.
As the owner of a stalling bike...can you clarify what you said? You said when you start the bike with the throttle partly opened...do you mean when you start the ignition...or when you use the throttle to accelerate? It's a fuel injected bike..you don't need to give it gas when you start it. Also..last time I checked you need to give it some throttle to get it moving.

Do you have a Tiger that stalls? What are you basing your statement on? My Tiger was great until I took it in for the first service. Then it started stalling. The service manager said they had the same thing happen to their demo bike. It's not due to riding style or whether you give it gas when you start it. It's a flaw in the computer mapping or fuel system. It's a brand new model...most new models have some type of flaw. I have confidence that Triumph will figure it out.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #7806
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-town dirt dude View Post
As the owner of a stalling bike...can you clarify what you said? You said when you start the bike with the throttle partly opened...do you mean when you start the ignition...or when you use the throttle to accelerate? It's a fuel injected bike..you don't need to give it gas when you start it. Also..last time I checked you need to give it some throttle to get it moving.

Do you have a Tiger that stalls? What are you basing your statement on? My Tiger was great until I took it in for the first service. Then it started stalling. The service manager said they had the same thing happen to their demo bike. It's not due to riding style or whether you give it gas when you start it. It's a flaw in the computer mapping or fuel system. It's a brand new model...most new models have some type of flaw. I have confidence that Triumph will figure it out.
Spot on.
Just a historical note: Some earlier Triumph's had Cold Start issues .... and for some reason opening the throttle just slightly could help this ... but I'm sure a re-map could do as well. (This on 1050 Tigers ... and other 1050's)

It's also been a common practice with F.I. bikes for ten years to do things like disconnecting battery for a couple minutes, reconnecting.

Also, with ignition ON but bike not running, twist throttle through it's range. Then of course, the famed "let it run 15 minutes to re-set the ECM".
I hate that one and have never done it. But on my Honda VFR did disconnect battery ... and problem went away.

My Vstrom needed careful TPS fiddling and very exact TB sync. Every bike is different, IMHO, I feel Triumph have gone beyond most these primitive methods. I'm sure the proper Tune will solve this once everything else is in alignment.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:20 AM   #7807
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-town dirt dude View Post

My Tiger was great until I took it in for the first service. Then it started stalling. The service manager said they had the same thing happen to their demo bike. It's not due to riding style or whether you give it gas when you start it. It's a flaw in the computer mapping or fuel system.

That is what worries me, my T800 has run perfect from day one but sooner or later it has to go in for it's 10.000km service.
So uploading a new map can only ruin my bike, I am thinking of requesting my dealer not to upload a new map. I mean, they need to click on "are you sure you want to upload new software" so they can also choose: No
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #7808
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriKTM View Post
The weight disappears once the bags are mounted on the bike.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #7809
The Heathen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
ABS or not to ABS

I found a pretty good deal on a non ABS demo. So it's lead me to question how important ABS is to me. Anyone have advice on this matter?
The Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #7810
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heathen View Post
I found a pretty good deal on a non ABS demo. So it's lead me to question how important ABS is to me. Anyone have advice on this matter?
Oh man this thread was starting to go downhill and this post just nudged it over the edge as it now degenerates into an ABS vs. non-ABS thread. I can see it coming...

It's simple. If you want ABS and think it's worth the premium, hold out. If you don't, buy the demo. Only you can decide how important ABS is to you. You know what it does and what it doesn't do.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #7811
Burninator
Zed's dead

Oddometer: 301
How good of a deal?

Quote:
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #7812
The Heathen
Gnarly Adventurer

9200 plus fees
Old 08-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #7813
The Heathen
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Oh man this thread was starting to go downhill and this post just nudged it over the edge as it now degenerates into an ABS vs. non-ABS thread. I can see it coming...

It's simple. If you want ABS and think it's worth the premium, hold out. If you don't, buy the demo. Only you can decide how important ABS is to you. You know what it does and what it doesn't do.
What would make it go up hill for you?
Old 08-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #7814
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,862
Quote:
9200 plus fees
GREAT deal
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #7815
The Heathen
Gnarly Adventurer

I thought so, only real concern I suppose is resale value. If or when I go to sell it I'd have a limited market I'm guessing.