Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #7816
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heathen View Post
I thought so, only real concern I suppose is resale value. If or when I go to sell it I'd have a limited market I'm guessing.
I won't lie, Triumphs seem to have horrible resale value. The cure to that ? Don't sell just buy
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #7817
The Heathen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
For some reason I really want one even though I keep hearing negatives. Stalling issue, run hot, and now not so hot resale....ugh!
The Heathen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:19 PM   #7818
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Oh man this thread was starting to go downhill and this post just nudged it over the edge as it now degenerates into an ABS vs. non-ABS thread. I can see it coming...

It's simple. If you want ABS and think it's worth the premium, hold out. If you don't, buy the demo. Only you can decide how important ABS is to you. You know what it does and what it doesn't do.
You get an insurance break if your bike is ABS capable!! I love ABS and insurance statistics shows 1/3 less chance of dieing for riders with less than 20 years riding experience.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #7819
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post
I love ABS and insurance statistics shows 1/3 less chance of dieing for riders with less than 20 years riding experience in a bullshit study that was dismissed as flawed by the NTSB.
Fixed.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #7820
CarlS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
For some reason I really want one even though I keep hearing negatives. Stalling issue, run hot, and now not so hot resale....ugh!
1. The stalling issue does not affect all bikes. Mine has been flawless.

2. The 800's do not run hot; they throw off heat on rider which is very noticeable in hot weather. My XC has never run beyond the normal range even in 100+ F heat and in heavy suburban traffic.

3. The resale value affects you only if you swap bikes frequently.
CarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #7821
The Heathen
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post
You get an insurance break if your bike is ABS capable!! I love ABS and insurance statistics shows 1/3 less chance of dieing for riders with less than 20 years riding experience.
Good point. See that's what I'm talking about. Even if it is BS, it's BS that saves me money in the end.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #7822
FlatlanderInVT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Fixed.
Take it to the ABS thread and keep this about the Tiger
FlatlanderInVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #7823
The Heathen
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry...I was talking about the tiger originally.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #7824
FlatlanderInVT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Sorry...I was talking about the tiger originally.
I was specifically referring to DAKEZ insistence on bringing his debate on the fundamentals of ABS into the thread, when his opinions have already been fully noted many times over in that parasite of a thread.

FlatlanderInVT screwed with this post 08-07-2011 at 03:28 PM
FlatlanderInVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #7825
The Heathen
Gnarly Adventurer

Copy that.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #7826
The Heathen
Gnarly Adventurer

Have any of you Tiger owners taken your bike off road. How Capable are they.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #7827
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,677
Quote:
Have any of you Tiger owners taken your bike off road. How Capable are they.
To fully answer this question, you need to define what ''off road" means to YOU

I have taken my Tigger on dirt roads, Jeep trails and some pretty gnarly tracks and it performed admirably. There is another thread on ADV about one of our Aussie cousins who has done even more than that (as others have).
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #7828
The Heathen
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, I suppose it's relative. I tend to compare bikes to four wheel drive vehicles. Example; a new suburban is like a BMW 1200GSA and a Honda crf250x is more of a CJ5. Suburbans are nice for cruising down the hwy but not that great beyond your basic dirt road. Where as a CJ5 (set up right) will go just about anywhere but isn't all that comfy on the hwy. I'd like a 4wd short bed pick up.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #7829
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlanderInVT View Post
I was specifically referring to DAKEZ insistence on bringing his debate on the fundamentals of ABS into the thread, when his opinions have already been fully noted many times over in that parasite of a thread.
I didn't bring it up flatlander but I will not let the lies in that flawed study be parroted unchallenged.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 08-07-2011 at 07:03 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #7830
Wheres_Bob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-town dirt dude View Post
As the owner of a stalling bike...can you clarify what you said? You said when you start the bike with the throttle partly opened...do you mean when you start the ignition...or when you use the throttle to accelerate? It's a fuel injected bike..you don't need to give it gas when you start it. Also..last time I checked you need to give it some throttle to get it moving.

Do you have a Tiger that stalls? What are you basing your statement on? My Tiger was great until I took it in for the first service. Then it started stalling. The service manager said they had the same thing happen to their demo bike. It's not due to riding style or whether you give it gas when you start it. It's a flaw in the computer mapping or fuel system. It's a brand new model...most new models have some type of flaw. I have confidence that Triumph will figure it out.
Please note that I was replying to a post from ButtonPushingMonkey.

To clarify, start, as in hit the starter button. This is in reference to the post I responded to.

No, my tiger does not stall. I am basing my statement on experience with some bikes. I have ridden bikes for over 800,000 miles not to mention miles in cars and other vehicles and always do my own work, so I have lots of experience with "cranky" bikes. It does not mean I am a good mechanic or anything, just lots of experience. Again, read the post I had responded to. It was that posters recommendation to start with the throttle partly open, not mine. I was just pointing out a possible flaw in his recommendation, although I was agreeing that it was worth a try as a temporary work around.

You said "It's not due to riding style or whether you give it gas when you start it.". I did NOT say that the issue was caused by something that the rider is doing wrong only that sometimes when a vehicle does not work properly there are work arounds that sometimes work and sometimes make things worse.

This is NOT a BMW forum. We do not bash the riders for pointing out issues that their bikes have, we only try to come up with solutions. ( I have my rose colored glasses on right now.)

My bike has only had one real issue. When I noticed that I did not have the option on the menu to turn off the ABS I brought it to the dealer. When I got it back, not only could I still not turn off the ABS, but it was telling my that my tire pressures were low. I have an XC. It took them a bit with Triumph on the phone to straighten it all out, but it has run flawlessly the whole time (10,000 miles). Lucky me.
Wheres_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote