ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #7906
Xcountry-Rider
Banned
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Pine Valley, California (San Diego County)
Oddometer: 912
New Picture Thread for 800XC's

I started a new Tiger 800 XC picture thread over here, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post16615673

This thread is mostly just trouble shooting the growing pain bugs.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #7907
neparider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
neparider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: burbs of scranton
Oddometer: 272
[
Quote:
QUOTE=ButtonPushingMonkey;16613655]Anyone else having issues dropping gears after a hard stop where you didn't have time to row down the gears to 1? I have to repeatedly stab the shifter down and do the whole clutch drag throttle blip thing or no amount of attempted downshifting will result in a gear change. I have been riding 15+ years and have had my share of finnicky gearboxes but never one this frustrating? Nothing like having the traffic on a freeway panic stop then race off again while you sit in the fast lane doing a shifter, throttle, clutch dance just to get into a gear you can take off in.
[/QUOTE]

I have the downshift thing happening on a regular basis, 1200 miles and I figure with time it will cure itself. I find the downshift easier if I let the clutch out a bit, I can dowshift faster. I also find that I might not be letting the shift lever return to position before trying to get down to the next gear.

I have had other bikes act this way when I needed to do an oil change also.
Other than changing my riding habits, I'm going to give it some time and see.
neparider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #7908
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebiter View Post
I've been riding all sorts of bikes over the years- MX, dual sports, trail and even a (Gasp) KLR and have never ran into such a cramped seating position- Any fixes??
What's your inseam?

Two things: first make sure the seat is in the high position, second remove the rubbers from the foot pegs. Last thing is to get an aftermarket seat that is a bit higher and some bar risers.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #7909
Xcountry-Rider
Banned
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Pine Valley, California (San Diego County)
Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
What's your inseam?

Two things: first make sure the seat is in the high position, second remove the rubbers from the foot pegs. Last thing is to get an aftermarket seat that is a bit higher and some bar risers.
I'm 6 foot and raised the seat today and took off the rubber foot thingys. That made the ergonomics much better.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #7910
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 18,562
http://cycle-ergo.com/
this is how you baseline.
...klr has a very open relaxed ergo.

something was not setup right as the xc has open ergos.
i'm sure there are or will be peg lowering options too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebiter View Post
Howdy,
I've been following this and the gals Alaska trip threads with great interest since their beginnings.
Since I'm retired, pushing 60 and my knees are gettin' a tad tired of riding single track every weekend, though the XC might just be the ticket for rompin' around up in the Sierras.
Went to my local dealer today, sat on a demo and was totally cramped- knees went up over the tank, butt was perched about half way between seats- I was bummed to say the least.
Any other bigger riders notice this problem, and is there a one piece seat available for this model?
I gotta admit, I'm not the smallest of riders. Here's me on a full sized EXC.



I've been riding all sorts of bikes over the years- MX, dual sports, trail and even a (Gasp) KLR and have never ran into such a cramped seating position- Any fixes??
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
NM map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #7911
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 18,562
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/6168/845/
15mm lower. but not sure compared to rubber removed.

oem rubber inserts removed yields 20mm more.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
NM map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #7912
when the road bends
hello
 
when the road bends's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 464
arrow tune map?

Hey all,

What does the arrow tune do for the Tiger? Have you noticed a difference?

I just installed the Arrow exhaust myself, it makes the decel popping sound much better. The bike feels lighter and breathes better. I don't have the arrow tune but am happy with the performance. Is it worth going to the dealer and getting the arrow map?
__________________

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
when the road bends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:29 AM   #7913
turboICE
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Oddometer: 63
Regarding the stalling issue and tune. I have 1500 miles on my silver framed '12 XC ABS (Mar 11 build) with stock exhaust and other than my own throttle/clutch control never stalled. Certainly never stalled during decel and slowing to a stop with the clutch disengaged. When I went in for my 500 mile service the report they gave me indicated that they did not change the tune (I am pretty sure they uploaded the newest tune when I purchased it though). As anoter inmate stated - it isn't likely to be a tune only issue or you all should just get his tune or mine which was the most current according to Triumph 3 weeks ago.
turboICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:17 AM   #7914
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!
 
The Jerk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Oddometer: 2,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by when the road bends View Post
Hey all,

What does the arrow tune do for the Tiger? Have you noticed a difference?

I just installed the Arrow exhaust myself, it makes the decel popping sound much better. The bike feels lighter and breathes better. I don't have the arrow tune but am happy with the performance. Is it worth going to the dealer and getting the arrow map?
Get TuneECU and a cable and install it yourself.
__________________
2000 Kawasaki W650
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #7915
when the road bends
hello
 
when the road bends's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 464
thanks jerk, I actually didnt know about tune ecu.

Before I go willy nilly, I wonder what does the arrow tune do to the bike's performance? anyone know?
__________________

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
when the road bends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #7916
PaulSF
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by when the road bends View Post
thanks jerk, I actually didnt know about tune ecu.

Before I go willy nilly, I wonder what does the arrow tune do to the bike's performance? anyone know?
This is what I have been able to figure out. Please correct me if you know this to be not accurate ...

Technically, it richens the mixture since the arrow (or any aftermarket) exhaust increases airflow which creates a lean condition. In reality, the mixture isn't that much richer since the exhaust is not the main restriction to airflow compared to the CAT and the intake. Alter those and you really need a new tune. Note that some aftermarket exhaust makers suggest that you can run the stock tune and don't need a special new tune.

Bike makers are increasingly leaning out the airflow to meet emissions requirements, and some suspect this is behind the tiger's stalling issues ... If you don't have any performance issues that might be traced to an overly lean mixture, running an arrow tune without an aftermarket exhaust will just decrease your mileage and increase your pollution and may increase your carbon deposits in the cylinders / plugs / etc ...
PaulSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #7917
Romulux
Next exit
 
Romulux's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Oddometer: 156
I stopped by me dealer today since I've been unsuccessful in resolving a front end wobble problem. At about 47 mph, if my Tiger is decelerating with a light touch or no hands on the bars, an oscillation develops and increases in strength as it continues to decelerate. I've checked tire pressures, rear preload, and loosening/re-torquing the front clamps but the problem remains.


Anyway, the technician said he was called Friday by Triumph about a safety issue with the Triumph centerstand resulting in a recall -- I have no details beyond that. They hadn't received the technical bulletin yet. Anyone else hear about this yet?

I left the bike with them and should get it back next week...


No stalling on mine, luckily. I love it more every time I ride it.
Romulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #7918
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulux View Post
I stopped by me dealer today since I've been unsuccessful in resolving a front end wobble problem. At about 47 mph, if my Tiger is decelerating with a light touch or no hands on the bars, an oscillation develops and increases in strength as it continues to decelerate. I've checked tire pressures, rear preload, and loosening/re-torquing the front clamps but the problem remains.


Anyway, the technician said he was called Friday by Triumph about a safety issue with the Triumph centerstand resulting in a recall -- I have no details beyond that. They hadn't received the technical bulletin yet. Anyone else hear about this yet?

I left the bike with them and should get it back next week...


No stalling on mine, luckily. I love it more every time I ride it.
Personally I wouldn't worry about the wobble. My CBF does it as well, mainly when the top box is installed but can do it anytime. Like yours, decelerating around 60km/h (40mph). I chased it for awhile as others on the CBF forum have, some with limited success. Keep your hands on the bars and the bike is rock solid and I regularly ride lets say aggressively (160-180km/h quite regularly). Bike has never exhibited any nervousness while I have a hand on the bars and it only takes a very light pressure.

I was used to letting go of the bars on my MeanStreak to simply coast down to semi legal speeds after a rip and never had a ripple from that bike, but that was a long low cruiser.

Check all the obvious like tire pressures, balance and rear wheel alignment using string method etc., then the steering head and wheel bearings but if all checks out, then just ride it.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #7919
Deano955
Insatiable
 
Deano955's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Eames Lounge Adv'er
Oddometer: 4,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
I find it strange that Triumph would order the throttle body replaced if they suspected problems with the throttle position sensor and/or stepper motor. Both items are easily replaced on their own, no doubt at much less expense than replacing the entire throttle body assembly.

So it makes me wonder what they know (or what they suspect anyway) that we don't.
Yes, me too.

They didn't figure it out yet. At least, not on my bike. I'm pretty pissed off at this point. Been a total downer of an experience buying this bike.
__________________
Save $5 off your smugmug account with this coupon( 1qoLJk8tfsGWM )
COHVCO, AMA, ETC...
Deano955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #7920
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Personally I wouldn't worry about the wobble. My CBF does it as well, mainly when the top box is installed but can do it anytime. Like yours, decelerating around 60km/h (40mph). I chased it for awhile as others on the CBF forum have, some with limited success. Keep your hands on the bars and the bike is rock solid and I regularly ride lets say aggressively (160-180km/h quite regularly). Bike has never exhibited any nervousness while I have a hand on the bars and it only takes a very light pressure.

I was used to letting go of the bars on my MeanStreak to simply coast down to semi legal speeds after a rip and never had a ripple from that bike, but that was a long low cruiser.

Check all the obvious like tire pressures, balance and rear wheel alignment using string method etc., then the steering head and wheel bearings but if all checks out, then just ride it.
PLUS ONE!
Nearly every sport bike ... and several others like my old TDM 850 all have had a wobble under de-cel with hands off bars. I discovered this common trait over 20 years ago and have had it occur on 10 or 12 bikes.

Several of the MC magazines have addressed the wobble issue in detail ... including Kevin Cameron. Bottom line: It's normal.
"They all do that Sir!" In this case it's mostly true.

Has to do the more radical steering geometry of modern bikes. Also, tire pressures and tire wear can affect this wobble. Best solved by keeping hands on bars when slowing. It normally won't wobble under braking ... just coasting, hands off bars from about 45 mph down to 20 mph.

On some bikes it can degrade to a near tank slapper. All four of my Ninjas did this ('85, '88, '92, '97) My Honda VFR DID NOT do it. No idea why. My TDM 850 did it, as did several test BMW K bikes.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015