Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #7936
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 660
As for the stalling problem...my bike (like so many others) does not have it, so if it where only a mapping issue than that's easily solved put 'my' map in all the bikes that have a problem and it should be solved. As Triumph are not doing that it seems there's more to it...

and to make this post a little wortwhile

burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #7937
Dmarino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Is that a Calsci screen? How is it? How tall, and how tall are you with inseam?

Yes it is the Calsci medium clear shield. I am loving it since I adjusted it right. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam and I started with the middle adjustment as advised and it was better then stock but not great. I then placed it all the way forward and it got worse for me. Finally I set it in the farthest back position as you see in the photo above and LOVE IT! It's much sturdier than my dad's Madstad and about half the cost.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #7938
ButtonPushingMonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Anyone else having issues dropping gears after a hard stop where you didn't have time to row down the gears to 1? I have to repeatedly stab the shifter down and do the whole clutch drag throttle blip thing or no amount of attempted downshifting will result in a gear change. I have been riding 15+ years and have had my share of finnicky gearboxes but never one this frustrating? Nothing like having the traffic on a freeway panic stop then race off again while you sit in the fast lane doing a shifter, throttle, clutch dance just to get into a gear you can take off in.
ButtonPushingMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #7939
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Maybe your clutch is dragging slightly? A minor adjustment could help this.
When stopped and bike won't shift ... If you can roll the bike back and forward a bit while shifting ... that should help a bit. And of course, motor should be running. Warm bike will shift better than cold in this situation.

Sometimes a clutch adjustment down on the engine end of the cable is what is needed if adjusting at the clutch lever does not help.

Oil is another factor (we won't get into that here!) as is miles on the bike. Some new bikes can be a bit notchy for the first few thousand miles. Might loosen up a bit as time/miles go by.

My method for very hard stops (not a panic stop) is to bump shifts quickly while braking. I don't use the clutch in this situation ... I just tap down a few gears quickly while braking hard and looking for a way around the obstacle. YMMV, IMHO, blah blah blah!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #7940
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 103
I had something similar happen a couple of weeks ago...I wasn't paying real close attention as I pulled up to a stoplight in 5th, then tried to shift down into 1st as the light was turning green. The bike was actually in 1st but the gear indicator was still showing 5th...very weird. There is always a very brief lag between shifting gears (up or down) but this time it took a 3-5 seconds for the gear indicator to catch up with the gearbox.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #7941
ButtonPushingMonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarino View Post
Yes it is the Calsci medium clear shield. I am loving it since I adjusted it right. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam and I started with the middle adjustment as advised and it was better then stock but not great. I then placed it all the way forward and it got worse for me. Finally I set it in the farthest back position as you see in the photo above and LOVE IT! It's much sturdier than my dad's Madstad and about half the cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Maybe your clutch is dragging slightly? A minor adjustment could help this.
When stopped and bike won't shift ... If you can roll the bike back and forward a bit while shifting ... that should help a bit. And of course, motor should be running. Warm bike will shift better than cold in this situation.

Sometimes a clutch adjustment down on the engine end of the cable is what is needed if adjusting at the clutch lever does not help.

Oil is another factor (we won't get into that here!) as is miles on the bike. Some new bikes can be a bit notchy for the first few thousand miles. Might loosen up a bit as time/miles go by.

My method for very hard stops (not a panic stop) is to bump shifts quickly while braking. I don't use the clutch in this situation ... I just tap down a few gears quickly while braking hard and looking for a way around the obstacle. YMMV, IMHO, blah blah blah!
Yeah, it only takes a second of using tricks to get it into gear but it still drives me crazy
ButtonPushingMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #7942
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,330
This bike just says adventure

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #7943
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 103
Anybody installed a rear mud flap to protect the shock? Alternatively, has anybody used a shock cover like the one from Traxxion? Results/recommendations?
Old 08-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #7944
ElNorto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I made a mud flap from plastic sheet used to protect hardwood floors from desk chairs. Then cut a piece of aluminum angle to support it and used a bolt that hangs vertically below the rear of the battery box to support it. No holes drilled in the battery box. I can take a picture in the morning.
ElNorto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #7945
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHINA_MAN View Post
Where the eff are the pictures of people mucking around on their bikes? I've only seen a few photos of people putting accessories on the Tigers.
Heres a good thead http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701552 People on this thread seem to be having more fun arguing.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #7946
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

New Picture Thread for 800XC's

I started a new Tiger 800 XC picture thread over here, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post16615673

This thread is mostly just trouble shooting the growing pain bugs.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #7947
neparider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
[
Quote:
QUOTE=ButtonPushingMonkey;16613655]Anyone else having issues dropping gears after a hard stop where you didn't have time to row down the gears to 1? I have to repeatedly stab the shifter down and do the whole clutch drag throttle blip thing or no amount of attempted downshifting will result in a gear change. I have been riding 15+ years and have had my share of finnicky gearboxes but never one this frustrating? Nothing like having the traffic on a freeway panic stop then race off again while you sit in the fast lane doing a shifter, throttle, clutch dance just to get into a gear you can take off in.
[/QUOTE]

I have the downshift thing happening on a regular basis, 1200 miles and I figure with time it will cure itself. I find the downshift easier if I let the clutch out a bit, I can dowshift faster. I also find that I might not be letting the shift lever return to position before trying to get down to the next gear.

I have had other bikes act this way when I needed to do an oil change also.
Other than changing my riding habits, I'm going to give it some time and see.
neparider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #7948
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebiter View Post
I've been riding all sorts of bikes over the years- MX, dual sports, trail and even a (Gasp) KLR and have never ran into such a cramped seating position- Any fixes??
What's your inseam?

Two things: first make sure the seat is in the high position, second remove the rubbers from the foot pegs. Last thing is to get an aftermarket seat that is a bit higher and some bar risers.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #7949
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
What's your inseam?

Two things: first make sure the seat is in the high position, second remove the rubbers from the foot pegs. Last thing is to get an aftermarket seat that is a bit higher and some bar risers.
I'm 6 foot and raised the seat today and took off the rubber foot thingys. That made the ergonomics much better.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #7950
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,655
http://cycle-ergo.com/
this is how you baseline.
...klr has a very open relaxed ergo.

something was not setup right as the xc has open ergos.
i'm sure there are or will be peg lowering options too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebiter View Post
Howdy,
I've been following this and the gals Alaska trip threads with great interest since their beginnings.
Since I'm retired, pushing 60 and my knees are gettin' a tad tired of riding single track every weekend, though the XC might just be the ticket for rompin' around up in the Sierras.
Went to my local dealer today, sat on a demo and was totally cramped- knees went up over the tank, butt was perched about half way between seats- I was bummed to say the least.
Any other bigger riders notice this problem, and is there a one piece seat available for this model?
I gotta admit, I'm not the smallest of riders. Here's me on a full sized EXC.

I've been riding all sorts of bikes over the years- MX, dual sports, trail and even a (Gasp) KLR and have never ran into such a cramped seating position- Any fixes??
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote