User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #7951
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,738
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/6168/845/
15mm lower. but not sure compared to rubber removed.

oem rubber inserts removed yields 20mm more.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #7952
when the road bends
hello

Oddometer: 465
arrow tune map?

Hey all,

What does the arrow tune do for the Tiger? Have you noticed a difference?

I just installed the Arrow exhaust myself, it makes the decel popping sound much better. The bike feels lighter and breathes better. I don't have the arrow tune but am happy with the performance. Is it worth going to the dealer and getting the arrow map?

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
when the road bends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:29 AM   #7953
turboICE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Regarding the stalling issue and tune. I have 1500 miles on my silver framed '12 XC ABS (Mar 11 build) with stock exhaust and other than my own throttle/clutch control never stalled. Certainly never stalled during decel and slowing to a stop with the clutch disengaged. When I went in for my 500 mile service the report they gave me indicated that they did not change the tune (I am pretty sure they uploaded the newest tune when I purchased it though). As anoter inmate stated - it isn't likely to be a tune only issue or you all should just get his tune or mine which was the most current according to Triumph 3 weeks ago.
turboICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:17 AM   #7954
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by when the road bends View Post
Hey all,

What does the arrow tune do for the Tiger? Have you noticed a difference?

I just installed the Arrow exhaust myself, it makes the decel popping sound much better. The bike feels lighter and breathes better. I don't have the arrow tune but am happy with the performance. Is it worth going to the dealer and getting the arrow map?
Get TuneECU and a cable and install it yourself.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #7955
when the road bends
hello

Oddometer: 465
thanks jerk, I actually didnt know about tune ecu.

Before I go willy nilly, I wonder what does the arrow tune do to the bike's performance? anyone know?

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
when the road bends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #7956
PaulSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by when the road bends View Post
thanks jerk, I actually didnt know about tune ecu.

Before I go willy nilly, I wonder what does the arrow tune do to the bike's performance? anyone know?
This is what I have been able to figure out. Please correct me if you know this to be not accurate ...

Technically, it richens the mixture since the arrow (or any aftermarket) exhaust increases airflow which creates a lean condition. In reality, the mixture isn't that much richer since the exhaust is not the main restriction to airflow compared to the CAT and the intake. Alter those and you really need a new tune. Note that some aftermarket exhaust makers suggest that you can run the stock tune and don't need a special new tune.

Bike makers are increasingly leaning out the airflow to meet emissions requirements, and some suspect this is behind the tiger's stalling issues ... If you don't have any performance issues that might be traced to an overly lean mixture, running an arrow tune without an aftermarket exhaust will just decrease your mileage and increase your pollution and may increase your carbon deposits in the cylinders / plugs / etc ...
PaulSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #7957
Romulux
Next exit

Oddometer: 156
I stopped by me dealer today since I've been unsuccessful in resolving a front end wobble problem. At about 47 mph, if my Tiger is decelerating with a light touch or no hands on the bars, an oscillation develops and increases in strength as it continues to decelerate. I've checked tire pressures, rear preload, and loosening/re-torquing the front clamps but the problem remains.

Anyway, the technician said he was called Friday by Triumph about a safety issue with the Triumph centerstand resulting in a recall -- I have no details beyond that. They hadn't received the technical bulletin yet. Anyone else hear about this yet?

I left the bike with them and should get it back next week...

No stalling on mine, luckily. I love it more every time I ride it.
Romulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #7958
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulux View Post
I stopped by me dealer today since I've been unsuccessful in resolving a front end wobble problem. At about 47 mph, if my Tiger is decelerating with a light touch or no hands on the bars, an oscillation develops and increases in strength as it continues to decelerate. I've checked tire pressures, rear preload, and loosening/re-torquing the front clamps but the problem remains.

Anyway, the technician said he was called Friday by Triumph about a safety issue with the Triumph centerstand resulting in a recall -- I have no details beyond that. They hadn't received the technical bulletin yet. Anyone else hear about this yet?

I left the bike with them and should get it back next week...

No stalling on mine, luckily. I love it more every time I ride it.
Personally I wouldn't worry about the wobble. My CBF does it as well, mainly when the top box is installed but can do it anytime. Like yours, decelerating around 60km/h (40mph). I chased it for awhile as others on the CBF forum have, some with limited success. Keep your hands on the bars and the bike is rock solid and I regularly ride lets say aggressively (160-180km/h quite regularly). Bike has never exhibited any nervousness while I have a hand on the bars and it only takes a very light pressure.

I was used to letting go of the bars on my MeanStreak to simply coast down to semi legal speeds after a rip and never had a ripple from that bike, but that was a long low cruiser.

Check all the obvious like tire pressures, balance and rear wheel alignment using string method etc., then the steering head and wheel bearings but if all checks out, then just ride it.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #7959
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
I find it strange that Triumph would order the throttle body replaced if they suspected problems with the throttle position sensor and/or stepper motor. Both items are easily replaced on their own, no doubt at much less expense than replacing the entire throttle body assembly.

So it makes me wonder what they know (or what they suspect anyway) that we don't.
Yes, me too.

They didn't figure it out yet. At least, not on my bike. I'm pretty pissed off at this point. Been a total downer of an experience buying this bike.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #7960
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Personally I wouldn't worry about the wobble. My CBF does it as well, mainly when the top box is installed but can do it anytime. Like yours, decelerating around 60km/h (40mph). I chased it for awhile as others on the CBF forum have, some with limited success. Keep your hands on the bars and the bike is rock solid and I regularly ride lets say aggressively (160-180km/h quite regularly). Bike has never exhibited any nervousness while I have a hand on the bars and it only takes a very light pressure.

I was used to letting go of the bars on my MeanStreak to simply coast down to semi legal speeds after a rip and never had a ripple from that bike, but that was a long low cruiser.

Check all the obvious like tire pressures, balance and rear wheel alignment using string method etc., then the steering head and wheel bearings but if all checks out, then just ride it.
PLUS ONE!
Nearly every sport bike ... and several others like my old TDM 850 all have had a wobble under de-cel with hands off bars. I discovered this common trait over 20 years ago and have had it occur on 10 or 12 bikes.

Several of the MC magazines have addressed the wobble issue in detail ... including Kevin Cameron. Bottom line: It's normal.
"They all do that Sir!" In this case it's mostly true.

Has to do the more radical steering geometry of modern bikes. Also, tire pressures and tire wear can affect this wobble. Best solved by keeping hands on bars when slowing. It normally won't wobble under braking ... just coasting, hands off bars from about 45 mph down to 20 mph.

On some bikes it can degrade to a near tank slapper. All four of my Ninjas did this ('85, '88, '92, '97) My Honda VFR DID NOT do it. No idea why. My TDM 850 did it, as did several test BMW K bikes.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #7961
Romulux
Next exit

Oddometer: 156
Interesting info on the wobble. I would have thought the Tiger would be less susceptible to that behavior since it's not exactly a sportbike.
Romulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #7962
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,199
My 01' ZX9 does not. I can let go of the bars at 100mph & it'll remain steady until slows so far it's about to fall over. An interesting problem, no doubt.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #7963
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
"...Anyway, the technician said he was called Friday by Triumph about a safety issue with the Triumph centerstand resulting in a recall -- I have no details beyond that. They hadn't received the technical bulletin yet. Anyone else hear about this yet?
Waddya wanna bet they put a stronger spring on it?
Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #7964
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,617
Quote:

Did you crank up the rear Pre-load?

How much do you weigh? I have not experienced this yet on the Triumph… I did have it happen on a Dakar and cranking up the Pre-load made it go away. Truly curious.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #7965
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Interesting info on the wobble. I would have thought the Tiger would be less susceptible to that behavior since it's not exactly a sportbike.
I agree. But the geometry numbers on both Tigers are pretty extreme!
Also, the OP is talking about the T800, not the XC I believe ... so running a 19" front not a 21". Neither of my Vstroms had much of a wobble but did do it a bit.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote