ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #8011
KLM 3
Gnarly Adventurer
 
KLM 3's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Oddometer: 106
Special Training?

Anybody heard of dealers' mechanics needing special training in order to work on the Tiger 800?

I ask, because that was the excuse the lone local dealer gave for not ordering any. Bummer.

No, I cant drive to another dealer. (see location)
__________________
I have nothing witty, sagelike, intelligent, irreverent, humorous, helpful, funny, or informative to share in this space. Thank you. Please drive through.
KLM 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #8012
Rob Dirt
More or less in line
 
Rob Dirt's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Mobile
Oddometer: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLM 3 View Post
Anybody heard of dealers' mechanics needing special training in order to work on the Tiger 800?

I ask, because that was the excuse the lone local dealer gave for not ordering any. Bummer.

No, I cant drive to another dealer. (see location)
Yes. I was told that Triumph would not deliver any 800s until they had taken some training course.
__________________
Heart of Dixie
Rob Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #8013
ButtonPushingMonkey
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 44
Any of you usa based guys with the arrow want to sell me your stock can for a reasonable price?

Does anyone know of a usa based parts outfit that sells sprockets for the tiger yet? I am looking for a 15t front and a 51t or 52t rear

Also, can anyone point me to some pics of the 800xc with the plastic tank and radiator skirt removed?

ButtonPushingMonkey screwed with this post 08-16-2011 at 10:08 AM
ButtonPushingMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #8014
Rob Dirt
More or less in line
 
Rob Dirt's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Mobile
Oddometer: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtonPushingMonkey View Post
Any of you usa based guys with the arrow want to sell me your stock can for a reasonable price?

Does anyone know of a usa based parts outfit that sells sprockets for the tiger yet? I am looking for a 15t front and a 51t or 52t rear
Renthal # 289-525-15 fits the front. I don't know about the rear. I found the front part # from UK eBay. Try to look up the rear & get the part #.
__________________
Heart of Dixie
Rob Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:34 PM   #8015
dogmoon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dogmoon's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin County MO
Oddometer: 313
[QUOTE=Lion BR;16636302]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraADV View Post

Correction on my previous post: I have the stock tires as well, whatever they are, so maybe not Pirelli Scorpions.
Watch them on wet pavement also not good.
__________________
Sometimes it takes a whole tank of fuel before you can think straight!
dogmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #8016
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLM 3 View Post
Anybody heard of dealers' mechanics needing special training in order to work on the Tiger 800?

I ask, because that was the excuse the lone local dealer gave for not ordering any. Bummer.

No, I cant drive to another dealer. (see location)
Most OEM's offer or require some sort of Tech training. Most OEM's charge dealers for this service. Many dealers DO NOT comply. Some OEM's are tougher on this than others. In my experience the best dealers have techs with the latest certificates. When Suzuki went to F.I. they offered tech seminars. I'm sure Triumph has done the same for the 675 Daytona, Street Triple and now the F800 Tiger. All new bike means new stuff for the mechanics to learn.

It's probably the case your dealer has to shell out to fly his techs to Georgia ... plus pay for the seminar, hotel, per diem, et al.

Not a cheap date ... but all a write-off for the dealer. You're either IN or your OUT. Sounds like your dealer is not committed 100% to Triumph quite yet. Once he's lost 30 or 40 sales he may wise up ... but these kind of dealers tend to "have all the answers". Be interesting to see his face when Triumph pulls his dealership on him. Triumph have done this quite a bit in the last few years.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #8017
Meles meles
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Grayslake, IL
Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtonPushingMonkey View Post
Any of you usa based guys with the arrow want to sell me your stock can for a reasonable price?
Yes, have one sitting in my basement that I swapped out for the Arrow after 800 miles. What's a reasonable price? PM me.
Thanks.
Meles meles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #8018
Andylaser
Heavy Metal
 
Andylaser's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Southampton UK
Oddometer: 993
If my dealers mechanics werent "clued up" on specific models and waving the latest tech course certificates I'd likely spend my money elsewhere. I would want to know my bike is in good hands wjen the spanners come out.

A bunch of certificates on the wall always looks good.
__________________
Sent from my binary data processing apparatus using magic and wires

OLD SKOOL HEAVY METAL
Andylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #8019
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"
 
G-Funk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
I have the Motech racks which are quick-release and I believe Hepco & Becker has a similar quick-release system for their racks. So it depends on what kind of bags you want to mount.

Here's mine with the Motech racks and TraX cases (from this weekend)

Nice pic .......

I could be wrong, but I don't believe H.B. has a quick release system like SW-Motech. SW-Motech does offer an adapter for their pannier mounts to mount up H.B. panniers, though .......

G.
__________________
03 Caponord

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #8020
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"
 
G-Funk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Oddometer: 5,259
[QUOTE=Lion BR;16636302]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraADV View Post

Correction on my previous post: I have the stock tires as well, whatever they are, so maybe not Pirelli Scorpions.

I believe they are Bridgestone Battlewings ......

Oh, and yet another nice vid Lion ......

Why was it again I was waiting till next year to buy an XC ??????



G.
__________________
03 Caponord

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #8021
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"
 
G-Funk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Most OEM's offer or require some sort of Tech training. Most OEM's charge dealers for this service. Many dealers DO NOT comply. Some OEM's are tougher on this than others. In my experience the best dealers have techs with the latest certificates. When Suzuki went to F.I. they offered tech seminars. I'm sure Triumph has done the same for the 675 Daytona, Street Triple and now the F800 Tiger. All new bike means new stuff for the mechanics to learn.

It's probably the case your dealer has to shell out to fly his techs to Georgia ... plus pay for the seminar, hotel, per diem, et al.

Not a cheap date ... but all a write-off for the dealer. You're either IN or your OUT. Sounds like your dealer is not committed 100% to Triumph quite yet. Once he's lost 30 or 40 sales he may wise up ... but these kind of dealers tend to "have all the answers". Be interesting to see his face when Triumph pulls his dealership on him. Triumph have done this quite a bit in the last few years.
Heya Adv Grifter .....

As for tech training, yes ....... My local Triumph dealer had to get all of their techs certified on the 800 and 800xc before they could sell the bikes. I know that for a fact. They may have even had to have their techs certified before the demos came in ......

G.
__________________
03 Caponord

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #8022
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
Why was it again I was waiting till next year to buy an XC ??????

G.

So you could buy it from me.
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:44 PM   #8023
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding
 
Lion BR's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 3,436
[QUOTE=G-Funk;16644496]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post


I believe they are Bridgestone Battlewings ......

Oh, and yet another nice vid Lion ......

Why was it again I was waiting till next year to buy an XC ??????



G.
Thanks G.

You guys made me go to the garage to check... yes, confirmed, they are Bridgestone Battlewing tires.

Lion.
__________________
Whenever we are riding, we are an ambassador to our sport

I'd rather be riding!


Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #8024
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Camarillo, CA
Oddometer: 1,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post

........I have the Pirelli scorpion tires, and was too lazy to air down when I videoed this.

Bike handles fine. It is not a small trails bike, there is no magic to make it do like those light bikes do on trails and dirt, but it is OK.
Hey Lion BR, that was a pretty cool video. I love the scenery up there. Will the 800 motor "tractor down" for the occasional technical crawl through? When I test rode the bike it was super hard to duplicate that sort of condition in the simple city route they had us on.

Do you find the footpegs too high for stand up riding? That was my only real complaint about the bike.
__________________
13 MG Stelvio NTX
09 Duc Sport Classic 1000
09 Kawi KLR650
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #8025
av_mech
Risk Taker
 
av_mech's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Boise, ID
Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Hey Lion BR, that was a pretty cool video. I love the scenery up there. Will the 800 motor "tractor down" for the occasional technical crawl through? When I test rode the bike it was super hard to duplicate that sort of condition in the simple city route they had us on.

Do you find the footpegs too high for stand up riding? That was my only real complaint about the bike.
I think the standing position is great! Way better than my KLR or CRF. After riding this bike, I've realized my 250 really needs risers!!
__________________
2011 Triumph 800 XC
2007 Honda CRF 250X
1994 Kawasaki KLX 650R

THE ADVENTURES OF TYSON AND HOBBES
THE BACKCOUNTRY PURSUIT- Boise, Idaho's consignment specialist for ADV gear!
av_mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014