Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2010, 01:47 AM   #796
fivehitsweak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by thephantom
If Honda understand, it's only because they made the same mistake with the VFR1200, which was leaked, teased and hinted at for (literally) years, before being revealed to general disappointment and a collective "meh".
Yeah I must admit I didn't realise that Honda had done that with the VFR1200. Perhaps it is a mistake all manufacturers have to make at least once before they learn their lesson.
fivehitsweak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:46 AM   #797
thephantom
Two-wheeled wanderer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehitsweak
Yeah I must admit I didn't realise that Honda had done that with the VFR1200. Perhaps it is a mistake all manufacturers have to make at least once before they learn their lesson.
And if you think this Tiger 800 thread is long... check out the one in the "Yo Momma" section... 223 pages and over 250,000 views!
thephantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:52 AM   #798
Bikeaddict
Bikeless Due To Recession

Oddometer: 208
I am sold! totally! bring me the money and the road version thank you very much. T_R_I_P_L_I_C_I_O_US !!!!!!
(no, I dont work for Triumph)
Old 10-21-2010, 03:07 AM   #799
warnabrother
.. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer: 2,022
doesn't do it for me.. too bug eyed, too much a copy of the F800 (which I prefer the looks of) and that beak... yughh.. looks like the bug threw up it's lunch..

also, I'm sure about the rest of the world.. but in Oz, the Triumph is not what I would call a very reliable brand.. I know at least 4 people with Triumphs of one sort or another, and all have had issues with their bikes.. and have heard many stories of similar "issues" from other riders/owners

the welding on all their frames is messy (lots of splatter), paint poor and the general fit and finish is not as good as their Japanese counterparts..

the motor's however are a blast to ride.. but I'm not sure how they'll go in a bike designed to be ridden offroad.. we'll wait and see
Old 10-21-2010, 03:24 AM   #800
Dharuma
The Dude Abides

Oddometer: 184
I may be in the minority, but I like the lights--I want something that's gonna light up the night, especially in central Texas where there are deer all over the road at night. The feeble one on my KLR just ain't cutting it. It's definitely more about function over form in this area.
Dharuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:36 AM   #801
thephantom
Two-wheeled wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharuma
I may be in the minority, but I like the lights--I want something that's gonna light up the night, especially in central Texas where there are deer all over the road at night. The feeble one on my KLR just ain't cutting it. It's definitely more about function over form in this area.
I like the lights, look like they might actually work for a change. Not a fan of the asymmetrical look that BMW are fond of either.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:53 AM   #802
pm9654
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
It may be very close styling wise as the BMW, but I do think it looks more aggressive, and as far as "going their own way", they DID. Using a triple for the motor!!! A VERY cool bike IMHO.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:10 AM   #803
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 728
I guess I just don't see it. The F800 and the Tiger don't really look a whole lot alike to me.

I like the lights as well. As for the beak or extra fender or whateveryacallit, It's not being shown on the street model. Mayhaps it's removable? Either way, who cares? Don't want it? Go buy a bike that doesn't have one or break out the sawsall.
Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:18 AM   #804
thephantom
Two-wheeled wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug67
As for the beak or extra fender or whateveryacallit, It's not being shown on the street model. Mayhaps it's removable? Either way, who cares? Don't want it? Go buy a bike that doesn't have one or break out the sawsall.
The beak is removable and interchangeable (you can fit it to the road model if you so desire).
Old 10-21-2010, 04:39 AM   #805
williedikker
You bet he will... TWICE

Oddometer: 68
A few questions. What are the differences between the street and the dirt versions? From the pics it looks like no beak on the street and maybe an 18" on the front instead of a 21"??? Anything else? Also, since this bike is very similar to the 800GS seat and sizewise, how is this bike for 2 up touring? Not that my wife goes with me alot or I do alot of trips, but I'm looking to rid myself of my RT and want a bike that will travel nicely if needed.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:03 AM   #806
beep

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by williedikker
A few questions. What are the differences between the street and the dirt versions? From the pics it looks like no beak on the street and maybe an 18" on the front instead of a 21"??? Anything else? Also, since this bike is very similar to the 800GS seat and sizewise, how is this bike for 2 up touring? Not that my wife goes with me alot or I do alot of trips, but I'm looking to rid myself of my RT and want a bike that will travel nicely if needed.
No-one has ridden one yet, apart from Triumph, so I doubt you'll get much comment on how comfortable it is. Main differences are the wheels (21" spoked front for the XC, 19" cast for the street version, 17" rear for both?), useful removable beak for the XC and taller suspension for the XC. The suspension on the XC will probably add an inch or two to the seat height, but the seat definately appears to be adjustable. Same frame and engine.

Other difference between the two might be price, Triumph will probably try to squeeze maybe another $1000 out you for the XC, because it doesn't handle so well on road ... no that doesn't make sense ... because it ... er .. has a beak!?

I would have thought either would make a good touring bike, but not as good for that purpose as an RT.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:11 AM   #807
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
anybody know the USA msrp yet?
Old 10-21-2010, 05:22 AM   #808
Effigy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
There is a difference between the bikes, for example the XC has a yellow "thing" on the left side near the motor that the street version lacks... What could it be?
Effigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:29 AM   #809
fivehitsweak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effigy
There is a difference between the bikes, for example the XC has a yellow "thing" on the left side near the motor that the street version lacks... What could it be?
Remote reservoir for the rear shock maybe?
fivehitsweak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:42 AM   #810
beep

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effigy
There you go - the yellow thing is worth the price difference alone! It does look like a remote reservoir. And it's got yellow spring too. I've changed my mind I want the bike with the yellow bits.