Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #8116
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano955 View Post
Thanks for posting. Good to know (since neither my dealer nor the Triumph Customer Relations Manager that I've been bitching to have anything to say about this) . I'll make some calls tomorrow.
Maybe because it was release on the Global wire today?
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #8117
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Maybe because it was release on the Global wire today?
That is good news I'm at 800 miles and no stalling so far for me but its nice to know that its solved for some.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:13 PM   #8118
ccrat
Dumb as a box of hair

Oddometer: 931
Bonneville Salt Flats

I took this about a month ago:

I guess I am the current holder of the 2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC land speed record at Bonneville.

(Of course, the speed depicted here is zero).

ccrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:30 PM   #8119
tommyid1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89

Picked it up and all smiles!!!! :-D
Attached Images

tommyid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:26 AM   #8120
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
I have some on my wee-strom. Does your front tire whine like crazy above 55mph? The newer ones have a bit different tread design....and on the rear it's less aggressive, but the front is very similar.
I don't notice anything with these but I do wear ear plugs all the time. I do remember the ordinary K60s I had on the Scram whined loudly so maybe they've changed something in the construction in the Scouts.

The K60 (http://www.reifenwerk-heidenau.de/mo...fil=38&pic=104) are a different tyre to the K60 Scout (http://www.reifenwerk-heidenau.de/mo...fil=162&pic=99). Especially the 150 rear which has that solid central band which, I'm hoping, will slow down the "squaring off" procedure.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:03 AM   #8121
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post
Can some of you if you have time check out this thread and tell me if I'm the one out of line.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1#post16698538
Don't worry about it. BMW riders are very insecure because they have to defend why they spent loads of money on a poorly designed, badly engineered piece of shit.
Over time our Tigers will prove to be the better overall bike and will undoubtedly be more reliable. You see, they go on about the service costs being less for the BM but they never include the costs of all the bits that have broken and need to be replaced.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:08 AM   #8122
Killboy
Wait, what?

Oddometer: 92
Hi guys.

Just a quick question re oil consumption. I'm moments away from hitting 4000 miles, and noticed yesterday my oil mark is a little below min. So, I'm about to scramble to get some more.

Now, I doubt its much of a top up, probably 500ml or less, but should I be concerned? There are no leaks, and I ran it in religiously according to the manual. I do however love to occasionally get the needle near the red bits now, so it sees some action.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:53 AM   #8123
Simon Smith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killboy View Post
Hi guys.

Just a quick question re oil consumption. I'm moments away from hitting 4000 miles, and noticed yesterday my oil mark is a little below min. So, I'm about to scramble to get some more.

Now, I doubt its much of a top up, probably 500ml or less, but should I be concerned? There are no leaks, and I ran it in religiously according to the manual. I do however love to occasionally get the needle near the red bits now, so it sees some action.
Doesn't sound enough to worry about to me. My Landrover didn't stop burning a little oil untill it hit 100,000 miles. I now think it is finally run in
Old 08-24-2011, 06:36 AM   #8124
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Can some of you if you have time check out this thread and tell me if I'm the one out of line.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1#post16698538
Pissing matches like that are a total waste of time. Both bikes are fine bikes - buy the one you like and ride the shit out of it. The best bike in the world ? The one you're riding....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:48 AM   #8125
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Pissing matches like that are a total waste of time. Both bikes are fine bikes - buy the one you like and ride the shit out of it. The best bike in the world ? The one you're riding....
Yep... it's about the ride not the bike.

Regards, Paul
Old 08-24-2011, 06:56 AM   #8126
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,548
Quote:
Can some of you if you have time check out this thread and tell me if I'm the one out of line
Quote:
I admit i was trolling a bit for fun. I took the long way home on the bike and was in a frisky mood
You admit your fault, then ask if it was out of line. The same thing would happen if the GS guys posted in this thread. It's just Internet BS, don't take it so personal. People type a lot of stuff that they would never say to your face, it's part of being on a public forum.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #8127
Killboy
Wait, what?

Oddometer: 92
Just spoke to the people from Metropolis regarding me "oil consumption". Assured me nothing to worry about. Must say, their post sales service has been outstanding. Picking some Fully Synthetic 300v up from them tonight.

Now, another question. I'm a bit of a fan of dual pipes. I am not a fan of the stock pipe (size and sound). And, while I like the 800 Arrow a little, I'd ideally like to fit dual arrows, Street Tripple style. I know "anything is possible", but was wondering the feasibility of fitting dual arrows from the daytona 675s or so to the XC. The first thing is that the battery box sticks out where the normal pipe splitter would be, however, as the twins are a lot smaller, maybe there would be enough space?

I'm wondering if I could keep the warranty if I get this done.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #8128
urquell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Tiger 800 Stalling

My new dealer has confirmed that a tune update is now available for the Tiger 800. There had been reports that a magic bullet was about to become available. Peter Carleo from Triumph would not admit this to me when I directly asked him about it. Triumph insisted that I bring my bike in for service. I did so less than a week ago, even though they seemingly had to know that the fix was not yet available.

While at the dealer, they recalibrated the stepper motor and readjusted the throttle position sensor, though my dealer said neither one appeared to be necessary. These are adjustments that have been shown to be ineffective for others with the stalling problem. They did not install a new tune. I asked to see the email communication between Triumph and the dealer, and my request was refused.

Now, less than a week later, they are admitting that there is a stalling problem after all! I will need to bring the bike back in for real service this time. Peter Carleo has said that Triumph will then give me something for all my trouble. That is fine. I am not satisfied at all, however, with the lack of honesty from Triumph.

I sure hope this fix works. Other than the stalling problems, I absolutely love this bike.
urquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #8129
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by urquell View Post
My new dealer has confirmed that a tune update is now available for the Tiger 800. There had been reports that a magic bullet was about to become available. Peter Carleo from Triumph would not admit this to me when I directly asked him about it. Triumph insisted that I bring my bike in for service. I did so less than a week ago, even though they seemingly had to know that the fix was not yet available.

While at the dealer, they recalibrated the stepper motor and readjusted the throttle position sensor, though my dealer said neither one appeared to be necessary. These are adjustments that have been shown to be ineffective for others with the stalling problem. They did not install a new tune. I asked to see the email communication between Triumph and the dealer, and my request was refused.

Now, less than a week later, they are admitting that there is a stalling problem after all! I will need to bring the bike back in for real service this time. Peter Carleo has said that Triumph will then give me something for all my trouble. That is fine. I am not satisfied at all, however, with the lack of honesty from Triumph.

I sure hope this fix works. Other than the stalling problems, I absolutely love this bike.
The problem is Triumph are between a rock and hard place. In the litigious society we live in, rule #1 of business in these kinds of situations is to NOT admit any guilt/problem. Triumph are not alone in this approach even though it sucks. If you want someone to blame, blame lawyers.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #8130
urquell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Laugh Tiger 800 Stalling

I can see your point about Triumph being in a tough position, though there must be some way for just a little bit more honesty. They completely disavowed all internet rumors I brought up, even though they all proved to be absolutely correct. I never have any problem at all blaming lawyers, though. I am a physician. (Just joking, I have plenty of friends who are lawyers.)
urquell is offline   Reply With Quote