Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #8131
Daytonacharlie
2 Wheeled Backpacker

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by urquell View Post
(Just joking, I have plenty of friends who are lawyers.)

Are you joking about blaming lawyers or joking about lawyers being your friends?
One third of a gopher would only arouse my appetite without bedding it down.
Daytonacharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #8132
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,862
Quote:
I can see your point about Triumph being in a tough position, though there must be some way for just a little bit more honesty. They completely disavowed all internet rumors I brought up, even though they all proved to be absolutely correct. I never have any problem at all blaming lawyers, though. I am a physician. (Just joking, I have plenty of friends who are lawyers.)
Sadly, lawyers pounce on 'honesty' and hold it against people.

I shouldn't be down on all lawyers....just most of them (and yes, I too have lawyers as friends....)
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #8133
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyid1 View Post

Picked it up and all smiles!!!! :-D
SWEET!!! Isn't that a great sight!

Post back your impressions. Were you able to get any deal or pretty much the standard price?
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #8134
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
I can see your point about Triumph being in a tough position, though there must be some way for just a little bit more honesty. They completely disavowed all internet rumors I brought up, even though they all proved to be absolutely correct. I never have any problem at all blaming lawyers, though. I am a physician. (Just joking, I have plenty of friends who are lawyers.)
This is really strange. Triumph was in communication with my dealer since I brought this to their attention a while ago. And my dealer told me straight up that they knew there is a problem. If I remember right someone on here a while back even talked to triumph directly. Are you sure it's not your dealer who is being secretive?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #8135
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,285
Triumph was aware of the stalling even before our trip....our trip highlighted the problem because we publicly announced it on our BLOG...see signature....and they tried to "fix" it while we were in Anchorage.

After Anchorage and when we got to Skagway, the stalling came back and Triumph knew at that time by our bikes that the "fix" did not work which I am sure made them have to come up with a more permanent fix which they are hoping is the upload that was released yesterday. We are curious if this resolves the stalling for real. We will most likely not buy the Tigers that we rode on the trip...hopefully those with stalling issues will post if their bikes are cured or not.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #8136
3Putt
Is that a gimmie?

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
This is really strange. Triumph was in communication with my dealer since I brought this to their attention a while ago. And my dealer told me straight up that they knew there is a problem. If I remember right someone on here a while back even talked to triumph directly. Are you sure it's not your dealer who is being secretive?
My dealer was straight forward with me from the git-go. He didn't know about the issue, but after I told him my bike was stalling he did some homework and took care of me.

2014 Super Tenere
3Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #8137
RollinOnShabbos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Hey All!

Well it's taken me a while to finally wander back to the forums since I picked up my Tiger back in July.

I spent about 2.5 weeks (and about 4000 miles) touring on my brand new 800 during the month of July starting from New Orleans (big shout out to the Transportation Revolution for setting up the bike and sending me on my way!) and finally working my way back to NYC.

I'm just finally getting around to dealing with a few of the photos that I took (I ended up not taking nearly as many as I thought I would because, well, I just never wanted to get off the bike!) and plan to put up a small ride report on here sometime in the next few days.

There were many adventures, fabulous roads, and I even got to meet a couple of people from the boards here along the way.

All in all it was an EXCELLENT trip on an EXCELLENT bike and I wouldn't have traded the tiger for pretty much anything.

I'll leave you with a few pics for now:
Picking the bike up at Transportation Revolution in New Orleans:

Crossing into Mississippi:

Foggy morning on the blue ridge:

Further up the blue ridge:

Taking a break with my brother:

RollinOnShabbos screwed with this post 08-24-2011 at 03:22 PM Reason: typos and shrinking images further
RollinOnShabbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #8138
urquell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Tiger 800 Stalling

Quote:
Absolutely sure. I have a very long back and forth set of emails between myself and Triumph Customer Service representative Peter Carleo. Only one week ago he denied any knowledge at all about a widespread stalling problem or a soon to be released fix. Here are just two of these email communications:

Peter, I am due to bring my bike in for service later today. In the meantime I noticed this post from 8/5/11:

"I've been following the stalling threads on here and on the tiger uk forum. Mine is not (yet) doing it, but I spoke with my local dealer (uk based) earlier today and he confidently told me that a "magic bullet" is coming from triumph to all dealers towards the end of next week - a software patch apparently. He didn't know more than that, or what the specific issue itself is (save for the stalling) He went on to say that once the patch is loaded on their demo bike (which has the stalling problem) they'll see how it is and assuming it resolves it, will call in the owners with the stalling issue and get it sorted. So, hopefully that info might help someone - so put some pressure on your own dealers and see what they say."

Any truth to this "magic bullet" and if so is it available yet? Should I wait to bring in the bike until the "magic bullet" is available? Thanks, Greg.

Peter Carleo to me
show details Aug 16 (9 days ago)

Greg,

I never trust the posting on the internet. So what we are reading is not official Triumph information.

What is true is that Triumph is always testing our products, and often will make little changes to the bikes, in many various forms. Since we don't know what your bike is doing, or rather why it is doing it, I have no information regarding what may be needed to resolve.

I will have our tech contact the dealer once the bike is at the shop.

Thanks M8!
urquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:24 PM   #8139
HomemadeBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Using Jesse Luggage brackets for soft bags

I love the look of the Jesse Luggage brackets with the "800" stamped on them. Of course that is not visible when the luggage is in place. I'm wondering if anyone has purchased the brackets to use with soft bags like the Wolfman Expeditions. Can anyone ponder any pros and cons?

BTW, just picked up my new black pussy last week. It's NOT your father's KLR!! So far I'm lovin' life and lovin' it. I installed the factory fog lamps and heated grips concurrently since I was taking the tank off for both installs. Big thanks to KildareMan for the tank removal how-to on the UK site. Not too bad a job, and it was good to take a little tour of some of the inner workings of kitty. I installed the Arrow can and the Triumph fenda extenda as well. Oh yeah, the factory touring windscreen, too. It's better, but not off the hook. I just ordered the SW Mototech bash plate and am waiting for the Triumph center stand (NOT looking forward to installing that).

I was very pleased that the new RKA tankbag I had bought for the KLR fit up nicely on the T-squared. The Givi plate for the topbox also fitted to the T2 from the KLR without any mods other than using longer bolts, going on top and thru the factory rear cover and using the existing threaded mounting points (two of them). Maybe if I figure out posting photos, I will later. Been lurking and enjoying the thread, boys and girls
Old 08-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #8140
urquell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Tiger 800 Stalling

More of my correspondence with Triumph. I have many more. Ever evasive and never admitting knowledge of a stalling problem. And yet they made me come in for service before there was a fix :

Peter, I understand the problems of the internet. But you might check out advrider.com. In the linked thread, for example, post number 371 is from a rider who has catalogued 40 instances of stalling problems just from one UK forum. His problem is not quite like mine, as he seems to have stalling when he blips the throttle. I have stalling when I completely roll off the throttle. Perhaps different casuses. Here is the link if you are interested. http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...696871&page=25
And here is another link to a UK forum in which 40% of those responding to a poll were having some sort of stalling problems. I realize that only those with problems are likely to respond, but it still makes it seem like a fairly common problem.
http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,2713.0.html

Peter Carleo to me
show details Jul 26
Hello Greg,
If there is a legitimate mechanical issue with Triumph motorcycles, we will have official information in our warranty system. We don't require any data from the internet. But I understand your concern, and once you have your bike at the dealer, we can begin working on diagnosing what is wrong with your bike.
Thanks for the offer of the internet information.
Cheers!
Peter J. Carleo
Customer Relations Manager
Triumph Motorcycles (America) Limited

Ha, ha! No, I did not think that Triumph would require data from the internet. I won't bother you anymore until I get in for service. But I don't think I got my main point across. And this is a very important point. You see, most of these riders DID bring their bikes in for Triumph service. There ALREADY IS information in your warranty system. By my estimation it may be many hundreds of bikes. I am pretty sure Triumph engineers are aware of this and are working hard on solution(s). A lot of these riders (most) claim to have had their bikes serviced and yet their problem(s) persisted. By asking my dealers and now Triumph customer service to look in to this issue before I brought in the bike, I was simply hoping to tap in to that Triumph knowledge database so that my bike could be fixed in only one visit. I have even considered waiting for a solution before bringing in the bike. The fact that the Triumph engineers have obviously not yet communicated with dealers and customer service about these problem(s) and any possible solution(s) concerns me. But since my stalling problem has recurred, I no longer think I can wait. I will bring in my bike and add to the database of knowledge in the Triumph warranty system. I really appreciate the time you have taken to communicate with me. It makes me think highly of Triumph. Thanks, Greg.
urquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #8141
slobinski
Inept adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Availability of 2012's?

What's the latest rumor on release/shipping of the next batch? I took a test ride on a roadie three weeks ago and put in an order on the spot. My wee-strom is on consignment at the not-so-local dealer along with a deposit, but I haven't heard anything definite regarding delivery date.
slobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #8142
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
You admit your fault, then ask if it was out of line. The same thing would happen if the GS guys posted in this thread. It's just Internet BS, don't take it so personal. People type a lot of stuff that they would never say to your face, it's part of being on a public forum.
That was me trying to do a little conflict resolution when the F800GS riders went nuclear and no not the same because the topic was about the Tiger. They basically started a thread to talk trash about the tiger to help with there own insecurities. I defended the tiger is a polite way and they kept going ballistic.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #8143
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
My dealer hadn't heard of the issue until i told them. They had'nt seen it in any of the bikes sold in San Diego, None the less i had my bike updated with the new software today when i had my breakin mileage done.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #8144
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by slobinski View Post
What's the latest rumor on release/shipping of the next batch? I took a test ride on a roadie three weeks ago and put in an order on the spot. My wee-strom is on consignment at the not-so-local dealer along with a deposit, but I haven't heard anything definite regarding delivery date.
My 2012 has been in my garage for a few months now
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #8145
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,038
Oxford Heated grips

Has anyone installed these? What a nice complete kit. Impressed so far. Hopefully, they'll be reliable!

Where did you mount the controller? That seems to be the only goofy part about this setup. It's so big, and with the huge wire coming out the bottom the bracket seems to be useless.

ALso, did you wrap the bar end with tape or similar to insulate? That isn't mentioned in instructions
1971 Lambretta DL

levain screwed with this post 08-24-2011 at 07:36 PM
levain is offline   Reply With Quote