User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #8146
urquell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Tiger 800 Stalling

I am glad to hear that some of you have had honest communications with your dealers and/or Triumph. My first dealer service department would not communicate with me at all. They refused to look in to this issue unless I first brought in the bike. I switched dealers. I also contacted Triumph customer service. Perhaps this chain of events led them to deal with me more cautiously than with others.

My new dealer service department has been very easy to work with. They did not initially know anything about a stalling problem, but they read all of my internet information with interest. They agreed with me that the Triumph-advised service (recalibrate stepper motor and reset throttle position sensor) was not likely to fix my problem, since it had not worked for others. They were very interested in the rumored soon-to-be released “magic bullet.”

They said Triumph was evasive about the problem and its possible solution, and guessed that a recall might be coming soon. They did not admit to any knowledge about the coming software fix, though. The dealer would not let me read the electronic communication between them and Triumph.

I think it was obvious to my dealer service department, but until today nobody from Triumph would admit to me that there was even a stalling problem. I will be bringing my bike in tomorrow for the software fix. I hope it works. I would really love it if I never had to think about this issue again.
urquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #8147
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,057
We are very interested to hear if this bulletin is the magic bullet...on our trip when we played with the throttle cable with the throttle slightly opened it would keep the bikes from stalling for an unknown amount of time. So, we will be watching all Tiger threads to see if this is the fix so many have been waiting for...
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #8148
RollinOnShabbos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Notes on stalling issues

For me, I guess I've been lucky. So far the bike has been absolutely bullet proof (roadie with arrow can and ABS). I can only imagine how frustrating it is to have anything wrong with the bike especially considering how "hard" some of us had to work to even get one.

During my trip, I stopped by a dealership in Central PA. While there, someone brought in a XC saying it was stalling. Later while I was working on my bike out front an employee (sorry can't remember which one) stopped by to chat. He asked if I had been stalling to which I told him no. He took my VIN and notes about my accessories and said he was going to send them in. I called them up just the other day (this being about 1 month later) and they mentioned they had a new tune for the bike. I think he even mentioned something about it being just the arrow tune which I already had.

I got confirmation of there being a new tune from the original dealer of the bike this morning and since they know I have the latest arrow can tune (and mentioned that in the email) I'd guess that Triumph is doing something.

I'll probably just leave mine the way it is until I hit the 6k service. If it ain't broke...

I really hope you guys get your bikes fixed soon. It is a beauty to ride.
RollinOnShabbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #8149
ButtonPushingMonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
On a lighter note if you watch the usa pro cycling challenge tomorrow you might just see an Orange 2012 800xc leading the way for a couple riders in the TT.
ButtonPushingMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:02 PM   #8150
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
on our trip when we played with the throttle cable with the throttle slightly opened

Okay, my curiosity has finally gotten the better of me. Every time I read this comment in your ride report I wondered just exactly what does "played with the throttle cable" mean? Tightening or loosening the adjustment? Grabbing it in a particular spot and wiggling for 20 seconds? Stroking it suggestively? Rubbing it until the friction raises the temperature by four degrees? What? My dictionary of technical terms doesn't have an answer for me.

I followed your ride report all the way and thought it was outstanding. I rode many of those same roads in '07 on a new Ulysses (ride report is buried in the archives here somewhere), so I was able to see in my mind and relive much of what you were experiencing although my trip was thankfully much drier than yours. Many thanks for the brilliant job you did in taking us along.

By the way, the one road you missed, The Glen Highway, is an exceptionally beautiful ride.

davevv screwed with this post 08-24-2011 at 08:08 PM
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:25 PM   #8151
Vzuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Installed my crash....er ENGINE GUARDS today.

Fairly simple install, only 6 bolts! I got the Hepco Becker model, I liked the more angular styling versus the rounder stock guards. I never noticed those black plastic push in covers on the engine. At first I tried to pry them out, but then it hit me that they were in threaded holes so I just unscrewed them with my fingers.

The right side (sitting on the bike) was easier than the left side. On the left it was tight fitting my paw in the cavity next to the shifter. I would recommend getting that one started first. The bottom front was tough to get to because of the radiator hose (one of those 1/4 turn tightening with the box end wrench). The guards should give comfort to some parallel twin converts because if you move your feet forward on the pegs you can just touch the bars with your shins. You can pretend they are cylinders.

One bonus I discovered with the guards, they make a nice grab rail for helping us old timers up off the garage floor!
Attached Images

Vzuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:59 PM   #8152
SierraADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post

Nice bike, looks like a mean dirt bike with those tires...
Old 08-25-2011, 02:09 AM   #8153
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Has anyone installed these? What a nice complete kit. Impressed so far. Hopefully, they'll be reliable!

Where did you mount the controller? That seems to be the only goofy part about this setup. It's so big, and with the huge wire coming out the bottom the bracket seems to be useless.

ALso, did you wrap the bar end with tape or similar to insulate? That isn't mentioned in instructions
You can just see how I mounted the controller on my Scram on the right hand side of this photo. Basically straightened out the bracket and used the mirror mounting bolts.

Have to add that I haven't been very impressed with the reliability of these. The first controller went bad after 6 months and the buttons on its (free) replacement also went bad just before I sold the bike. Needless to say I left them on the bike when it got sold and I've bought some R&G grips for the T800.
Bike history [(N) = bought new] :- YAS1, RD350B(N), XS750(N), XT500, XJ650(N), XJ900S(N), CBX750, XL185S, XR250RF, XR600, KTM600LC4, TDR250, R100GS, TS200R, Tiger955i(N), Scrambler900efi, Tiger800XC(N)...
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:18 AM   #8154
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vzuke View Post
[FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=4]
One bonus I discovered with the guards, they make a nice grab rail for helping us old timers up off the garage floor!
Ain't that right!!
Bike history [(N) = bought new] :- YAS1, RD350B(N), XS750(N), XT500, XJ650(N), XJ900S(N), CBX750, XL185S, XR250RF, XR600, KTM600LC4, TDR250, R100GS, TS200R, Tiger955i(N), Scrambler900efi, Tiger800XC(N)...
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:15 AM   #8155
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Fix tune installed....

I stopped by the dealer yesterday to have the fix tune installed. It appears that what they have done is to hold the rev's up above idle few hundred rpms for a fraction of a second when the throttle is closed. Last week I had the original Arrow tune installed and the seemed to eliminate my stalling problem. Before going to the dealer yesterday I installed the Arrrow muffler so it was the Arrow tune fix that was installed yesterday.

My Tiger now has 950 miles on it and the motor is lossening up and wants to rev...... Triumph has truely built a wonderful motorcycle that is almost perfect for my needs. This bike puts a very big smile on my face just thinking about it!! I tip my hat to Triumph and to Mr Bloor, THANK YOU!!

Regards, Paul
Old 08-25-2011, 04:15 AM   #8156
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by urquell View Post
Absolutely sure. I have a very long back and forth set of emails between myself and Triumph Customer Service representative Peter Carleo. Only one week ago he denied any knowledge at all about a widespread stalling problem or a soon to be released fix. Here are just two of these email communications:

Peter, I am due to bring my bike in for service later today. In the meantime I noticed this post from 8/5/11:

"I've been following the stalling threads on here and on the tiger uk forum. Mine is not (yet) doing it, but I spoke with my local dealer (uk based) earlier today and he confidently told me that a "magic bullet" is coming from triumph to all dealers towards the end of next week - a software patch apparently. He didn't know more than that, or what the specific issue itself is (save for the stalling) He went on to say that once the patch is loaded on their demo bike (which has the stalling problem) they'll see how it is and assuming it resolves it, will call in the owners with the stalling issue and get it sorted. So, hopefully that info might help someone - so put some pressure on your own dealers and see what they say."

Any truth to this "magic bullet" and if so is it available yet? Should I wait to bring in the bike until the "magic bullet" is available? Thanks, Greg.

Peter Carleo to me
show details Aug 16 (9 days ago)

Greg,

I never trust the posting on the internet. So what we are reading is not official Triumph information.

What is true is that Triumph is always testing our products, and often will make little changes to the bikes, in many various forms. Since we don't know what your bike is doing, or rather why it is doing it, I have no information regarding what may be needed to resolve.

I will have our tech contact the dealer once the bike is at the shop.

Thanks M8!
Thank you for posting this.

I had the same interaction, except on the phone, with Triumph USA. On that conversation they denied a stalling problem, they denied they were working on a fix, they dismissed internet claims of the problem or fix, and they said I should take my bike to the dealer for service as each bike is different and they were confident my problem would be fixed by the dealer technician, in contact with the Triumph technician.

I did not take my bike to the dealer because I already knew, from the untrustworthy internet, from cases in Greece, England, US, and the most recent one in Alaska that what they were going to do in my bike was not necessarily going to work. I did not want my bike to be there, sitting idle (pun intended) for nothing. I'd rather be riding and working around the problem while waiting for the internet rumored fix.

Yes, ADVGRRRLS, by the time you posted your problem on your Ride Report, I had offered to submit to you a 16 page MSword document where I had collected information on this issue from the 800 UK Forum, dating back to I think April and going all the way to June, with owners' reports of the problem, their interaction with dealers, including off-site Triumph tech participation via internet, where they received a bike's data and worked with dealer technicians. I had also documented their reported interactions with Triumph customer service, and the fixes that did not work (work on throttle bodies, stepper motor, TPS and the Arrow tune - the latter worked for some, not all). The one thing I heard from your report for the first time was the official mention of the "stepper motor" as part of the diagnosis.

My impression is that Triumph, as mentioned by others here, is in the hands of attorneys. Which makes them very similar to BMW. Actually, Peter Carleo's response posted above, saying that "Triumph is always testing our products, and often will make little changes to the bikes, in many various forms." is exactly what BMW told their customers in the case of the F800GS.

The difference is that since BMW is a hated brand by non BMW owners (something I don't quite understand, actually), then people point their fingers squarely at BMW for the problem and for denying it (which they actually reverse in the last several months, admitting they expanded their line up too fast and some quality problems appeared, and they have been working on those). Here, on the Triumph discussion a few of us point fingers at the Triumph attorneys.

Continuing on this parallel between BMW and Triumph, on the BMW 800GS' issues, the BMW haters say BMW is "blaming the owners" for the problems on the bikes. Here, Triumph simply dismisses the internet, saying the information, our testimonials of the problem, with video and all (the information YOU and I put forth right here and in the other related forums) is not true. Triumph could be calling us liars, if you want to go that far. But yes, in reality, they are protecting themselves.

But I digress. What we know is that history tells us that truth prevails. Triumph knew about the problem, as documented by the reports that a fix is available, and it even has a name to it (Bulletin 431 or something similar).

What am I going to do? I will be taking my bike in for the upgrade at some point in the future, AFTER I hear more information from owners' experiences about the fix, which I hope to read about it right here at the untrustworthy internet.

Best of luck guys!
Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 08-25-2011 at 04:23 AM
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:31 AM   #8157
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post

Okay, my curiosity has finally gotten the better of me. Every time I read this comment in your ride report I wondered just exactly what does "played with the throttle cable" mean? Tightening or loosening the adjustment? Grabbing it in a particular spot and wiggling for 20 seconds? Stroking it suggestively? Rubbing it until the friction raises the temperature by four degrees? What? My dictionary of technical terms doesn't have an answer for me.

I followed your ride report all the way and thought it was outstanding. I rode many of those same roads in '07 on a new Ulysses (ride report is buried in the archives here somewhere), so I was able to see in my mind and relive much of what you were experiencing although my trip was thankfully much drier than yours. Many thanks for the brilliant job you did in taking us along.

By the way, the one road you missed, The Glen Highway, is an exceptionally beautiful ride.
I really do not have a technical term for what we did either. We did exactly what I posted, played with the cable, maybe tightened it at times with the throttle slightly open. We have no idea why jingling the cable and playing with the throttle worked. Maybe it did noting but it did seem to stop the stalling issue for the moment. Enough so we could actually ride almost 13000 KM with both bikes having this issue along the way.

The bikes never died for eternity. We had to try and work this out for ourselves and this is all I can say. We moved the throttle cable, opened it up to either hand tighten or wrench tighten the bolt while we would hold the throttle in place enough to bring up the revs. It was the only thing that made sense to us. If we could keep the bike idling over 1000 RPMS then they would not stall. I would imagine by now the throttle cables must be stretched out but we have not been informed of the inspection of the bikes if it has been done.

We also tried a reset by disconnecting the batteries and then letting the bikes idle for 15 mins. That seemed to work for a few hundred KM's. As the for the Glenn Highway, I think we were on it except between Wasilla and Glennallan.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:40 AM   #8158
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by urquell View Post
Absolutely sure. I have a very long back and forth set of emails between myself and Triumph Customer Service representative Peter Carleo. Only one week ago he denied any knowledge at all about a widespread stalling problem or a soon to be released fix. Here are just two of these email communications:

Peter, I am due to bring my bike in for service later today. In the meantime I noticed this post from 8/5/11:

"I've been following the stalling threads on here and on the tiger uk forum. Mine is not (yet) doing it, but I spoke with my local dealer (uk based) earlier today and he confidently told me that a "magic bullet" is coming from triumph to all dealers towards the end of next week - a software patch apparently. He didn't know more than that, or what the specific issue itself is (save for the stalling) He went on to say that once the patch is loaded on their demo bike (which has the stalling problem) they'll see how it is and assuming it resolves it, will call in the owners with the stalling issue and get it sorted. So, hopefully that info might help someone - so put some pressure on your own dealers and see what they say."

Any truth to this "magic bullet" and if so is it available yet? Should I wait to bring in the bike until the "magic bullet" is available? Thanks, Greg.

Peter Carleo to me
show details Aug 16 (9 days ago)

Greg,

I never trust the posting on the internet. So what we are reading is not official Triumph information.

What is true is that Triumph is always testing our products, and often will make little changes to the bikes, in many various forms. Since we don't know what your bike is doing, or rather why it is doing it, I have no information regarding what may be needed to resolve.

I will have our tech contact the dealer once the bike is at the shop.

Thanks M8!
What he said makes sense. If you dont bring your bike to a dealer he has no way of knowing whats wrong. I got honesty from my dealer. I never felt like I needed to talk to Triumph.
Atleast Peter didnt tell you that you dont know how to ride your bike (like some inmates on this thread).
Old 08-25-2011, 07:16 AM   #8159
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
It is not the lawyers dictating how Triumph or any company responds to claims such as "and I found 30 more reports of the same problem on the internet". That kind of statement is useless to them. They want real data from the service centers such as symptoms and tests performed by techs. Responding to anything else would be as rational as giving up beef because Oprah brought hysterics to yet another audience wetting their undies over mad cow rumors.
The only useful action is to keep working with the factory or strike out on your own like the KTM owners.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:17 AM   #8160
WormShanks
b00b

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
What he said makes sense. If you dont bring your bike to a dealer he has no way of knowing whats wrong. I got honesty from my dealer. I never felt like I needed to talk to Triumph.
Atleast Peter didnt tell you that you dont know how to ride your bike (like some inmates on this thread).
I agree that's a completely reasonable response from Triumph and is in no way a basis for accusing them of being dishonest.

Ridden: AF AM AW AU AT AZ BS BH BD BB BY BW BV BR IO BN BG BF BI KH CM CA CZ DK SV GQ ER EE ET FK GI GR GP VA HN HK HU IS IN ID IR IQ KI KP KG LA LV LB LU NR NP NL AN NC NZ NI NE NO OM PK PR QA RE RO RU RW LC VC WS SM ST TM TC TV UG UA AE GB US UY UZ VU YE
WormShanks is offline   Reply With Quote