Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2011, 07:59 AM   #8206
Daytonacharlie
2 Wheeled Backpacker

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
That BMW has never broken down... has never stalled either.
Only problem it has ever had was a discharged battery, when I was away for 6 months and forgot to connect it to a tender.

And it will beat the Tiger on the dirt roads. I know this for a fact. I have them both and I rode both of them on the same road I use to test my bikes' set up. Compared to the Tiger, that BMW is a light weight.

The Tiger... I bought it for the road. And it beats the BMW on that department.

Lion
I don't own either although I do plan to own an XC someday. It's a case of apples and oranges. These are two different bikes with different strengths and weaknesses. The things the Beemer excells in the Tiger will never be better at and vice versa. If you want a Tiger and you know it has certain limitations but can appreciate it's strengths over the BMW then you'll be very happy with your choice. But if you want the Tiger to be the BMW you'll be disappointed. I'm pretty sure tho that most folks interested in the Tiger are smart and informed enough to know the difference. My 2¢

Daytonacharlie screwed with this post 08-29-2011 at 08:04 AM
Daytonacharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:02 AM   #8207
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonacharlie View Post
I don't own either although I do plan to own an XC someday. It's a case of apples and oranges. These are two different bikes with different strengths and weaknesses. The things the Beemer excells in the Tiger will never be better at and vice versa. If you want a Tiger and you know it has certain limitations but can appreciate it's strengths over the BMW then you'll be very happy with your choice. But if you want the Tiger to be the BMW you'll be disappointed. I'm pretty sure tho that mast folks interested in the Tiger are smart and informed enough to know the difference. My 2¢
Bingo

It's the reason why I kept my XR instead of selling it (as I had originally intended to do) and keeping the Sprint (which I am sure I will get rid of).
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #8208
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,970
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonacharlie View Post
I don't own either although I do plan to own an XC someday. It's a case of apples and oranges. These are two different bikes with different strengths and weaknesses. The things the Beemer excells in the Tiger will never be better at and vice versa. If you want a Tiger and you know it has certain limitations but can appreciate it's strengths over the BMW then you'll be very happy with your choice. But if you want the Tiger to be the BMW you'll be disappointed. I'm pretty sure tho that most folks interested in the Tiger are smart and informed enough to know the difference. My 2¢
But please make sure you say it many times over, just in case someone still does not get it. :)

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #8209
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,386
Quote:
But please make sure you say it many times over, just in case someone still does not get it. :)
Interesting I have said this since we test rode the Tigers and own Beemers all along...
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #8210
Andylaser
Heavy Metal

Oddometer: 1,080
I thought I would write a little bit about the recently fitted SW Motech bash plate and why I chose this over the Triumph offering.

Having chosen the road bike and knowing most of my miles are going to be on tarmac, I feel the SW product is slightlly better biased for this. The Triumph guard employs a welded construction, which undoubtably makes it stronger than the riveted construction this guard uses. However, as I am unlikely to be coming in contact with large rocks, this isnt going to be a huge issue for me. This guard certainly seems to be well constructed from 5mm ally sheet and tidy flush mounted rivets.

The SW item is also much higher at the front compared to the Triumph guard. This provided much better protection for the oil filter, which is very exposed on the Triumph guard.

This guard is also a little longer than Triumphs and provides a little extra protection for the rear shock linkage. The linkage isnt covered, but having the under tray drop down, may be enough to deflect any loose rocks and provide enough clearance to prevent contact.

A couple of shots showing how this fits with the Hepco crash bars. I think they go together really well.

Finally, the guard is anodised black. Therefore is will make the bike faster.

OLD SKOOL HEAVY METAL
Andylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #8211
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,386
nice love the black sides and the front left raw....the black paint never stays on the front anyway.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #8212
Evomx971
Defrosting in NM

Oddometer: 276
I replaced my Triumph bash plate with the SW Motech unit to get better oil filter protection. One thing I did notice is that something with the design of the SW Motech plate puts considerably more engine heat onto my left ankle and shin than I had before.

Andylaser, did you notice this?

It's so easy to swap the plates, I might actually run the stock plastic bit for commuting to work in the hottest summer temps and put the SW Motech on for Spring-Fall-Winter and any off road riding.
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:34 PM   #8213
CarlS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyid1 View Post

Picked it up and all smiles!!!! :-D
Congratulations, Tommy. You are going to love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
We are very interested to hear if this bulletin is the magic bullet...on our trip when we played with the throttle cable with the throttle slightly opened it would keep the bikes from stalling for an unknown amount of time. So, we will be watching all Tiger threads to see if this is the fix so many have been waiting for...
I have not had the stalling issue and I had the Arrow exhaust and the tune from the get go. However, I did received the upgraded flash Saturday. I can tell no difference in performance.
CarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #8214
Andylaser
Heavy Metal

Oddometer: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomx971 View Post
One thing I did notice is that something with the design of the SW Motech plate puts considerably more engine heat onto my left ankle and shin than I had before.

Andylaser, did you notice this?

Cant say as though I had noticed an increase in heat. However, this being England, it would probably help you dry out in the rain.

OLD SKOOL HEAVY METAL
Andylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #8215
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
That BMW has never broken down... has never stalled either.
Only problem it has ever had was a discharged battery, when I was away for 6 months and forgot to connect it to a tender.

And it will beat the Tiger on the dirt roads. I know this for a fact. I have them both and I rode both of them on the same road I use to test my bikes' set up. Compared to the Tiger, that BMW is a light weight.

The Tiger... I bought it for the road. And it beats the BMW on that department.

Lion

I've rode both bikes as well and the Tiger is better in the dirt and has a better suspension.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #8216
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andylaser View Post
I thought I would write a little bit about the recently fitted SW Motech bash plate and why I chose this over the Triumph offering.

Having chosen the road bike and knowing most of my miles are going to be on tarmac, I feel the SW product is slightlly better biased for this. The Triumph guard employs a welded construction, which undoubtably makes it stronger than the riveted construction this guard uses. However, as I am unlikely to be coming in contact with large rocks, this isnt going to be a huge issue for me. This guard certainly seems to be well constructed from 5mm ally sheet and tidy flush mounted rivets.

The SW item is also much higher at the front compared to the Triumph guard. This provided much better protection for the oil filter, which is very exposed on the Triumph guard.

This guard is also a little longer than Triumphs and provides a little extra protection for the rear shock linkage. The linkage isnt covered, but having the under tray drop down, may be enough to deflect any loose rocks and provide enough clearance to prevent contact.

A couple of shots showing how this fits with the Hepco crash bars. I think they go together really well.

Finally, the guard is anodised black. Therefore is will make the bike faster.
I really like the faring protection bar I'll be getting one those. I'm not a fan of the SW Mototech skid plate the rivets are the weak link in the construction and I'm not convinced the oil filter is all that vulnerable.I'm using the OEM plate but maybe in the future i'm upgrade to the altrider plate when its available.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #8217
HomemadeBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post
I really like the faring protection bar I'll be getting one those. I'm not a fan of the SW Mototech skid plate the rivets are the weak link in the construction and I'm not convinced the oil filter is all that vulnerable.I'm using the OEM plate but maybe in the future i'm upgrade to the altrider plate when its available.

I'm thinking the rivets will act as "shear pins" like on an outboard motor prop. One shears the rivets but maybe doesn't tweak the whole thing out of shape or break mounting points. It's easy enough to re-revit. Sort of like keeping the fasteners on the loose side of the handlebar controls so when you dump you simply straighten your gear back into place. Not replace broken parts. MHO, for sure. Homemade Bob
Old 08-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #8218
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,667
I don't really care if I ding up the oil filter; puncturing it is a different story. Anyone had any damage to the filter to date?
Old 08-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #8219
motosickle2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
The HB fairing protection bar mounts very closely to the cylinder head. There is a post on another forum of a guy whose cylinder head broke because of the HB crashbar contacting it in an accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post
motosickle2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #8220
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosickle2000 View Post
The HB fairing protection bar mounts very closely to the cylinder head. There is a post on another forum of a guy whose cylinder head broke because of the HB crashbar contacting it in an accident.
Wow do you have a link?