Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #8236
Wheres_Bob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep View Post
Yes, they are the 31 & 38 L. I did not paint them; they are anodized silver. The last bare aluminum bag I had got residue all over everything I put it in.

Shep
On the old Happy Trails aluminum bags I have, I used Contact Paper on the inside. The kind of sticky stuff that people put on shelves and such. I find this to be better than powder coat as it quiets down things bouncing around the inside. The outside looks better in raw aluminum too, in my opinion.
The bags I have were on the KLR I used to have. I considered using Happy Trails mounts and the old bags, but that would have been about 42" wide and I thought that was too much. I think the ideal thing in afterthought would be if I got the SW Motech racks and cut some inches of the right side bag. Would have been cheaper and lighter than the Jesse bags and would have had a more home made look to them. As it is, I went for the jesse bags. heavy and wide, but nice stuff.
Wheres_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #8237
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,552
I had the new tune installed yesterday. My XC idles a lot smoother, & no stalling. I did notice the new tune calls for atleast 91 octane. No air filter change. I tried to recreate when I had problems (extremely hot stop & go traffic) with no stalling.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #8238
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
I had the new tune installed yesterday. My XC idles a lot smoother, & no stalling. I did notice the new tune calls for atleast 91 octane.
Let's not get this confusion started again. The tune requires 87 octane as measured by the CLC method used in the USA. 87 octane by the CLC method is equivalent to 91 by the RON method. So it is also true to say that the Tiger 800 requires minimum 91 RON octane, except that is useless information and needlessly confusing since we don't use that method to measure octane in the U.S.

If you are in the USA, use 87 octane.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #8239
Burninator
Zed's dead

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Let's not get this confusion started again. The tune requires 87 octane as measured by the CLC method used in the USA. 87 octane by the CLC method is equivalent to 91 by the RON method. So it is also true to say that the Tiger 800 requires minimum 91 RON octane, except that is useless information and needlessly confusing since we don't use that method to measure octane in the U.S.

If you are in the USA, use 87 octane.
I'd use virgin snake piss if it prevents stalling!
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #8240
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonad Nomad View Post
I'd use virgin snake piss if it prevents stalling!
I wish they had a like button on here
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #8241
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
I made two sets of hole patterns in the quick release plate, so it works on both the Tiger and the Dakar.

Why would you want both of these bikes? They are so similar... Granted the Triumph triple has more power but the all purpose aspects of the two bikes are incredibly similar.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:01 AM   #8242
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Why would you want both of these bikes? They are so similar... Granted the Triumph triple has more power but the all purpose aspects of the two bikes are incredibly similar.
He likes to get the spanners out occasionally so he still needs the BMW

The Tiger is for riding.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:16 AM   #8243
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post

The Tiger is for riding.
Or perhaps..... when the Tiger stalls he can jump on the BMW and ride away.

Regards, Paul
Old 08-29-2011, 07:08 AM   #8244
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Why not?

Why does Jay Leno have every bike under the sun?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:36 AM   #8245
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post

The Tiger is for riding.
That BMW has never broken down... has never stalled either.
Only problem it has ever had was a discharged battery, when I was away for 6 months and forgot to connect it to a tender.

And it will beat the Tiger on the dirt roads. I know this for a fact. I have them both and I rode both of them on the same road I use to test my bikes' set up. Compared to the Tiger, that BMW is a light weight.

The Tiger... I bought it for the road. And it beats the BMW on that department.

Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:59 AM   #8246
Daytonacharlie
2 Wheeled Backpacker

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
That BMW has never broken down... has never stalled either.
Only problem it has ever had was a discharged battery, when I was away for 6 months and forgot to connect it to a tender.

And it will beat the Tiger on the dirt roads. I know this for a fact. I have them both and I rode both of them on the same road I use to test my bikes' set up. Compared to the Tiger, that BMW is a light weight.

The Tiger... I bought it for the road. And it beats the BMW on that department.

Lion
I don't own either although I do plan to own an XC someday. It's a case of apples and oranges. These are two different bikes with different strengths and weaknesses. The things the Beemer excells in the Tiger will never be better at and vice versa. If you want a Tiger and you know it has certain limitations but can appreciate it's strengths over the BMW then you'll be very happy with your choice. But if you want the Tiger to be the BMW you'll be disappointed. I'm pretty sure tho that most folks interested in the Tiger are smart and informed enough to know the difference. My 2¢
One third of a gopher would only arouse my appetite without bedding it down.

Daytonacharlie screwed with this post 08-29-2011 at 08:04 AM
Daytonacharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:02 AM   #8247
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonacharlie View Post
I don't own either although I do plan to own an XC someday. It's a case of apples and oranges. These are two different bikes with different strengths and weaknesses. The things the Beemer excells in the Tiger will never be better at and vice versa. If you want a Tiger and you know it has certain limitations but can appreciate it's strengths over the BMW then you'll be very happy with your choice. But if you want the Tiger to be the BMW you'll be disappointed. I'm pretty sure tho that mast folks interested in the Tiger are smart and informed enough to know the difference. My 2¢
Bingo

It's the reason why I kept my XR instead of selling it (as I had originally intended to do) and keeping the Sprint (which I am sure I will get rid of).
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #8248
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonacharlie View Post
I don't own either although I do plan to own an XC someday. It's a case of apples and oranges. These are two different bikes with different strengths and weaknesses. The things the Beemer excells in the Tiger will never be better at and vice versa. If you want a Tiger and you know it has certain limitations but can appreciate it's strengths over the BMW then you'll be very happy with your choice. But if you want the Tiger to be the BMW you'll be disappointed. I'm pretty sure tho that most folks interested in the Tiger are smart and informed enough to know the difference. My 2¢
But please make sure you say it many times over, just in case someone still does not get it. :)

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #8249
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
But please make sure you say it many times over, just in case someone still does not get it. :)
Interesting I have said this since we test rode the Tigers and own Beemers all along...
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #8250
Andylaser
Heavy Metal

Oddometer: 1,021
I thought I would write a little bit about the recently fitted SW Motech bash plate and why I chose this over the Triumph offering.

Having chosen the road bike and knowing most of my miles are going to be on tarmac, I feel the SW product is slightlly better biased for this. The Triumph guard employs a welded construction, which undoubtably makes it stronger than the riveted construction this guard uses. However, as I am unlikely to be coming in contact with large rocks, this isnt going to be a huge issue for me. This guard certainly seems to be well constructed from 5mm ally sheet and tidy flush mounted rivets.

The SW item is also much higher at the front compared to the Triumph guard. This provided much better protection for the oil filter, which is very exposed on the Triumph guard.

This guard is also a little longer than Triumphs and provides a little extra protection for the rear shock linkage. The linkage isnt covered, but having the under tray drop down, may be enough to deflect any loose rocks and provide enough clearance to prevent contact.

A couple of shots showing how this fits with the Hepco crash bars. I think they go together really well.

Finally, the guard is anodised black. Therefore is will make the bike faster.

OLD SKOOL HEAVY METAL
Andylaser is offline   Reply With Quote