Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2011, 06:44 AM   #8236
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,667
I got the new map update yesterday (XC w/ABS) and notice that there is a little less snatchiness at throttle on/off. Never had any stalling so cannot comment on that.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:43 AM   #8237
twinpower
1200R Sportster

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep View Post
Had a chance to take my Tiger on it's first ride of any distance yesterday. I rode north to see my new grandson for a few hours then back home. Not that far, about 420 miles or so...all boring state highway. It did give me an opportunity to compare the bike's traveling comfort with my 1200GS. I was very pleased as I was every bit as comfortable on the Tiger, or more so. I also discovered just how well the Mastad screen works when I took off without putting in my ear plugs; my Arrows sounded much louder than I remembered! Beginning the 11th of September I have 3 weeks off and will be taking an extended trip to parts unknown.

Shep
Shep - Interested in your comparison to the 1200GS. My next bike is going to be an adventure type of some sort... I will mostly be commuting and some road touring - smooth dirt roads at the worst. For a variety of reasons, I like the r1200GS, but a little hesitant due to the cost of ownership. Took a test ride on a Tiger roadie and really liked it. I was surprised by the decent wind protection. (I like to ride with my visor open about halfway). I'm 5'7", 30" inseam. How tall are you and can you give me a little more of your impressions of the Tiger (and Madstad), as compared to the 1200GS?

Thanks - Mike
Old 08-31-2011, 08:19 AM   #8238
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
twinpower - cant compare the 12GS, as my other remaining bike is a Girlie tiger. However: I'm 5'8" - 30" inseam. 800XC with low gel seat (in low position) allows me to get about 1/2 - 2/3rds of both boots down. More than my KLR, Uly, or 955 tiger. So shouldnt be a problem. As for comfort comparo - I think Shep already answered that one? As short as I am, I still needed 20mm risers to change riding position - big improvement. Madstad is good stuff - another alternative is Palmer brackets / screen. good luck. j
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:45 AM   #8239
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
I started a thread here in Beasts about aftermarket T800 screens thinking we would have a place to compare the different offerings but there doesn't seem to be much interest with this group. Maybe with winter approaching that will change.

I was the beta tester for the Madstad, have been using it for 5 months and can highly recommend it (especially now that he is including the lower deflectors) to anybody thinking about touring/winter screens or just want something that does away with the wind noise and turbulence.

TAMPAJIM screwed with this post 08-31-2011 at 11:46 AM
TAMPAJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:28 AM   #8240
Bassfisher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thumb Madstad

I have the T800 with the Madstad It works great for me. I can ride with my visor open now.
I am 6' tall with 32" inseam standard height seat in tall position. Both feet almost flat on ground.
Bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:32 AM   #8241
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,878
Which Madstad screen do you have? There are four different ones.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:02 PM   #8242
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Which Madstad screen do you have? There are four different ones.
I have the 20" adventure. I'm 6'0". 31"inseam and ride with seat in "up" position.

There are two sizes, 18" and 20" . He recommends 18" for those under 6' and seat low position.

The two styles are Sport and Adventure. I have tried both and can tell no difference in performance,
Old 08-31-2011, 12:08 PM   #8243
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Oddometer: 495
Cool2

According to the U.S. distributor, Scorpion slip-ons will be available in approx. 3 weeks.

http://www.scorpion-exhausts.com/pro...tml?autoid=524

Less than 1/2 the price of the Arrow.

No fat chicks, fender will scrape.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:16 PM   #8244
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,273
UK Sales, so far in 2011:

Tiger800, 800ABS, and XC: 1,182

BMW F800GS: 168

Make of that what you will
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:49 PM   #8245
Bassfisher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Madstad

18" sport screen.
Bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:00 PM   #8246
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassfisher View Post
18" sport screen.
I like the looks of that one the best.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:04 PM   #8247
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 18,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
I have the 20" adventure. I'm 6'0". 31"inseam and ride with seat in "up" position.

There are two sizes, 18" and 20" . He recommends 18" for those under 6' and seat low position.

The two styles are Sport and Adventure. I have tried both and can tell no difference in performance,
he also has 2 sports avail:
Attached Images

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #8248
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 18,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
According to the U.S. distributor, Scorpion slip-ons will be available in approx. 3 weeks.

http://www.scorpion-exhausts.com/pro...tml?autoid=524

Less than 1/2 the price of the Arrow.
like Staintune, Scorpion uses lifetime wool packing.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:17 PM   #8249
Shep
Vagabond

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpower View Post
Shep - Interested in your comparison to the 1200GS. My next bike is going to be an adventure type of some sort... I will mostly be commuting and some road touring - smooth dirt roads at the worst. For a variety of reasons, I like the r1200GS, but a little hesitant due to the cost of ownership. Took a test ride on a Tiger roadie and really liked it. I was surprised by the decent wind protection. (I like to ride with my visor open about halfway). I'm 5'7", 30" inseam. How tall are you and can you give me a little more of your impressions of the Tiger (and Madstad), as compared to the 1200GS?

Thanks - Mike
Mike,

Let me begin with the screen since several people have asked about it. Both the GS and the Tiger (and probably many bikes of similar configuration) tend to create a “tapping” on my helmet that eventually leads to a headache. My 1150 GS was notorious for this, the 1200 not so bad. I would say the 1200 screen was comparable to the Tiger in terms of annoyance/comfort. I could have lived with the stock Tiger screen, but decided to go for a bit smoother air. Let me just say, I don’t like large screens; I want airflow…I just want it to be smooth. I bought the Sport 18” and have it almost as low as it will go. It is a significant difference in my opinion and worth the change.

Now, as for me, I’m 5’5” and 155 lbs with a 29” inseam. I am riding the road version with the stock seat in the low position.

1200 GS vs Tiger 800: First, you must understand that part of my personal dissatisfaction with the GS has to do with size…both its and mine! It is too big and I am too small. The older I get (51), the smaller machine I want.

The GS travels very well. Plenty of hp to travel beyond legal speeds with ease and easy to relax on when the day calls for getting from A to B. The Tiger feels much the same to me, only in a smaller and more manageable package. I did not like how far back the GS put me from the front end. The Tiger puts me closer. The Tiger cruises at legal + speeds easily and the seating position is similar. If I had to say, the GS is probably a bit roomier, but otherwise I was just as comfortable on my Tiger. I have no doubt I can manage longer days (700 -1000 miles) on it no problem. The real plus on the Tiger for me, aside from the size, is the seat. I had four different seats for my GS and even with the best custom one, my backside was killing me after a 700 mile day. I rode the stock Tiger seat about 425 no problem…very little discomfort. I swapped a part for the gel seat and am going to give it a shot.

Engine: The GS is probably more relaxing as a ride where the engine is concerned, but this is also subjective. The buzz or vibe from one type engine bothers you, but not me and vice versa. I love the Tiger’s engine, but I’m a biased, having a Street Triple in the garage as well.

You are not going to go wrong with either bike; for me it comes down to the size of the package. Both bikes handle very well, both bikes can do just about anything you ask of them, but the Tiger is much easier for me to spend a day on no matter where that day takes me.

Shep
Old 08-31-2011, 02:13 PM   #8250
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
UK Sales, so far in 2011:

Tiger800, 800ABS, and XC: 1,182

BMW F800GS: 168

Make of that what you will
I would be interested to know what the BMW F650GS (twin) numbers are too as it seems the F650GS would be the street-oriented rival to the Tiger 800, detuned though it is.

Also will be interesting to see what Triumph's numbers are a couple years down the road when the initial excitement wears off. What were the first year numbers for the F800GS?