Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #8266
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
In terms of protecting the oil filter, why doesn't someone come up with a cover which would slip over the top of the filter itself and perhaps be held with friction? Something like an empty can made out of some stout aluminum is what I am envisioning. Pop it off when you change the filter, and then pop it back on over the new one when you are finished. Seems like a simple and inexpensive solution versus something that has to be bolted on and off to change the filter.
I like it. How about just a nice rubber cover? Fairly thick. Should be strong enough to absorb a good rock hit.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #8267
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 4,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Now ... after a couple years in the market ... we see lots of mechanical issues around the F800. Not so much with the F650's. BMW don't release warranty repair claim figures any longer but I'd guess the percentage on the 800 is fairly high. The Tiger's teething problems are minor by comparison. I'm amazed Triumph are doing as well as they have during this depression.
I thought 2012 is the F800GS' 5th model year. So they are far beyond a couple of years in the market. And in reading the parallel twin thread, problems were mostly on the 08 and 09 bikes. And of those, just a small number were affected. BMW had a few recalls issued to that bike. Similar to what Triumph is doing, BMW performed changes to their models along the time.

Technical improvements aside, I would be amazed if BMW could sustain sales of the F650GS and F800GS if they do not perform major changes to it an competition with the Tiger 800s is going to be tough. The 2012's have only color changes as far as I know.

So 2013 may be the year for a major change (5 years is usually the date for major upgrades in BMW models' history). They have that 800 parallel twin bored out to 900cc... That would be a great start.

Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #8268
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
In terms of protecting the oil filter, why doesn't someone come up with a cover which would slip over the top of the filter itself and perhaps be held with friction? Something like an empty can made out of some stout aluminum is what I am envisioning. Pop it off when you change the filter, and then pop it back on over the new one when you are finished. Seems like a simple and inexpensive solution versus something that has to be bolted on and off to change the filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
I will probably do something like that and make it magnetic. I don't care if it scratches up the filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andylaser View Post
You would of course need to paint the cover black. No self respecting adventure rider would have any chrome on their bike.
Very easy to do. Heck even my Honda CBF "Adventure" bike has a cover for the oil filter. It's hard plastic lined with rubber, bolts on with two small bolts but would never fall off even without the bolts as it's a snug fit over the filter.

Quote:
I like it. How about just a nice rubber cover? Fairly thick. Should be strong enough to absorb a good rock hit.
Heck, even a beer cozy would help for small rocks.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #8269
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
I thought 2012 is the F800GS' 5th model year. So they are far beyond a couple of years in the market. And in reading the parallel twin thread, problems were mostly on the 08 and 09 bikes. And of those, just a small number were affected. BMW had a few recalls issued to that bike. Similar to what Triumph is doing, BMW performed changes to their models along the time.
As I said in my earlier post ... the USA got F800's over a year after Europe did. Do you know the real reason why they were delayed? So, yea, it's coming up on five years ... you would have thought BMW would have got it right by now.

The first USA models I believe were late '08 or early '09 models? And I would dispute your statement " ... just a small number were affected". You need to talk to a few BMW dealer mechanics over a few beers ... or dealer owners. Since BMW won't disclose repair stats under warranty ... or any record of repairs ... we just have to glean what we can from first hand contacts and social media.

Or just read the PA forum here on ADV ... scroll down the list of threads. I check in there once a month or so ... my unscientific take is that about 50% of topics are for some "problem". Go back ten pages or so ...
just more and more problem threads.

Triumph are in no way "similar" to BMW regards recalls. Not even close.
Triumph just issued their first recall for the Tiger 800. This to offer a new Tune. BFD.

According to the NHTSA listings, BMW motorcycles are number one in product recalls in the MC industry. I don't know how many recalls the F800's have had specifically ...but I'd wager at least a few by now. But ask any dealer ... they have service bulletins on every one of them.

And how many F800's have had blown motors? Cracked fuel tanks (multiple), oil leaks, shot clutch, bad fuel pumps and on and on and on.
Early on I rode a F800GS and liked it a lot. I was ready to buy. Then I did some research. The more I read and talked to those on the "inside" the darker the picture grew.

I've owned BMW's before and done the run around with the dealer telling me "This is the first we ever heard of this problem" Horseshit! All OEM's try to wiggle out of doing warranty work ... but I don't think any other company do it the way BMW does. But they've come through for some owners too ... so not all bad.

I look forward to BMW shifting full production of the F800's to the Loncin, China plant. (Motors too) Then we may see a higher percentage of long lasting and tough bikes ... you know ... like back in the 70's.

Quote:
Technical improvements aside, I would be amazed if BMW could sustain sales of the F650GS and F800GS if they do not perform major changes to it an competition with the Tiger 800s is going to be tough. The 2012's have only color changes as far as I know.
I agree 100%. But I believe they can do it. They can make it better. Just a question of getting QA in hand and making a few key changes and sourcing quality components again. The basic design is good but the Rotax motor is letting a good bike down. I blame BMW 100%. It's there job to monitor what's coming out of Rotax. Honestly, I smell a conspiracy of some kind. I believe BMW and Rotax may have a falling out ... if they haven't already.

In future BMW (Von Kunheim) say the Berlin factory will be more focused on the high profit prestige models: K1600, R1200GSA, K1300 and so on.
Like the G bikes, F800 production is shifting to the Loncin facility ... and not for just assembly. Full manufacturing, including motors.
Look at what BMW are doing with their car factories in China. Huge commitment. It is their future.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 09-01-2011 at 03:05 PM
Old 09-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #8270
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:

So 2013 may be the year for a major change (5 years is usually the date for major upgrades in BMW models' history). They have that 800 parallel twin bored out to 900cc... That would be a great start.

Lion
I did a tour of the BMW factory in Berlin last July and saw something that we were not supposed to see. Someone in our tour group needed to pee so the BMW tour guide ushered us to a toilet that was close by and since we were in that part of the factory on the ground floor and at the end of our tour, he led us out through a different door that had us crossing an outside area where there were around 8 new white F800GS' parked in the sunshine. As we walked past on our way back to reception I sensed there was something different about those bikes. When you are in that sort of enviroment and you're seeing lots of stuff that is interesting you find it hard to take it all in but something bugged me about those bikes so I stopped and stared for a few moments before getting the 'hurry along' from the tour guide.

All I could really take in was some styling changes that had me thinking I was looking at the new V-stom 650 but no, it was definately a F800GS. In addition to the upper front bodywork being more modern looking, the duck bill front guard was different and sporting some slyling slots under the headlight. As to any mechanical changes... who knows!

Sorry no pics... we were told that we would be lined up against the brick wall out the back if anyone even thought as much about taking a pic. With vivid mind images of machine gun toting SS officers we wisely kept our cameras in our pockets!

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:24 PM   #8271
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear View Post
I

Sorry no pics... we were told that we would be lined up against the brick wall out the back if anyone even thought as much about taking a pic. With vivid mind images of machine gun toting SS officers we wisely kept our cameras in our pockets!
Glad your safe!!
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #8272
ButtonPushingMonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Yawn.........And here I thought this was a triumph thread and not a bash the most established adventure bike manufacturer in the world thread. If you are confident in the quality of your bike you don't need to posture up and smear another one. I could care less about the f800gs...it is hard enough to find anything of value in a single thread of 500 plus pages without having to wade thru the smack talk. The real thing to talk shit about is the fact that they get their own sub-forum while we are stuck in the back of the bus sharing a sub-forum with the wee strom and versys :poke

ButtonPushingMonkey screwed with this post 09-01-2011 at 08:55 PM
ButtonPushingMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #8273
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by motosickle2000 View Post
It looks like a black oil filter cover may be available from Triumph for the 800XC. Check it out:

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triump...lock_03=560040

I that something we can order now or is it in the works?
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #8274
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtonPushingMonkey View Post
Yawn.........And here I thought this was a triumph thread and not a bash the most established adventure bike manufacturer in the world thread. If you are confident in the quality of your bike you don't need to posture up and smear another one. I could care less about the f800gs...it is hard enough to find anything of value in a single thread of 500 plus pages without having to wade thru the smack talk. The real thing to talk shit about is the fact that they get their own sub-forum while we are stuck in the back of the bus sharing a sub-forum with the wee strom and versys :poke
Hey Noob ... only one talking shit is you Bubba. You showed up a week ago ... and now you're slinging insults about stuff you know nothing about? You the Big Boss of this thread now? If you have a problem finding Tiger info ... start your own thread and fill us all in. See Ya!

No one here is smearing anything. We're discussing the Tiger's number one competitor ... and the two bikes every major mag have done comparos on. Pay attention ... you might learn something.
In the meantime .... Noob.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:10 PM   #8275
ButtonPushingMonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Hey Noob ... only one talking shit is you Bubba. You showed up a week ago ... and now you're slinging insults about stuff you know nothing about? You the Big Boss of this thread now? If you have a problem finding Tiger info ... start your own thread and fill us all in. See Ya!

No one here is smearing anything. We're discussing the Tiger's number one competitor ... and the two bikes every major mag have done comparos on. Pay attention ... you might learn something.
LOL, didn't mean to hurt ur feelers...but I don't feel bad because if you had actually read my post you wouldn't have reacted so strongly...don't worry, I forgive you

ButtonPushingMonkey screwed with this post 09-01-2011 at 09:22 PM
ButtonPushingMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #8276
Calamity Jesus
n0ob

Oddometer: 246
Wicked Sorry to interrupt this oil filter cover discussion...

I made a 12 minute review from the video I took during a test ride last month.

Feel free to tell me how wrong I am.
Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #8277
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Oddometer: 5,717
I spent over seven hours zipping about Virginia and West Virginia on my Tiger 800 today.

Fun factor was 10 out of 10.

http://va16.smugmug.com/

thumperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:15 AM   #8278
drklr
MotoTrvlr

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaverboy View Post
I made a 12 minute review from the video I took during a test ride last month.

Feel free to tell me how wrong I am.
Well done.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:56 AM   #8279
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtonPushingMonkey View Post
LOL, didn't mean to hurt ur feelers...but I don't feel bad because if you had actually read my post you wouldn't have reacted so strongly...don't worry, I forgive you
. Blah blah. Everyone get over it. Don't start this shit again. Before you know it we will have 8 pages of bitching. I do agree that what was being done is comparing. I don't think anyone was bashing. If you want bashing scroll on over to some of the BMW threads.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:10 AM   #8280
TEXASYETI
Call me "thread killer!"

Oddometer: 1,923
Quote:

Wow. Come over here to learn something about the Tiger 800 and run into this kind of crap? What is it with these harsh responses. Have we lost the fundamental ability to talk to each other without being abusive?

Hey Noob Adv Grifter (Mr. I signed up last year so that makes me an ADVrider old school douche), go get me a beer and a sandwich and be nice. No need to be calling people asshats and telling them to shut the fuck up. When you are done with that go wash my bikes and, no, you cannot wear your thong.

I'm sure your response, if you have one will be really awesome.

1981 R80G/S
1991 R100 GSPD

FIRST TIME RIFF RAFF - Go Jonah!

TEXASYETI screwed with this post 09-02-2011 at 07:17 AM
TEXASYETI is online now   Reply With Quote