Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #826
Tijuana_Taxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
The street version has one brake line down to the left caliper then crosses over to the right caliper. The XC looks like one down to fork then T's off to both calipers and then also a crossover from caliper to caliper.
Tijuana_Taxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #827
WormShanks
b00b

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by thephantom
Has anyone noticed the XC version seems to have an additional 2 cables/hoses that appear to terminate one the front forks, in addition to the brake hoses that are also visible on the road version...

Any ideas...?
Looks like the brake lines to me. Could be XC vs. non-XC or ABS vs. non-ABS. In one case the hydraulic line junction is on the fender instead of the caliper.

Ridden: AF AM AW AU AT AZ BS BH BD BB BY BW BV BR IO BN BG BF BI KH CM CA CZ DK SV GQ ER EE ET FK GI GR GP VA HN HK HU IS IN ID IR IQ KI KP KG LA LV LB LU NR NP NL AN NC NZ NI NE NO OM PK PR QA RE RO RU RW LC VC WS SM ST TM TC TV UG UA AE GB US UY UZ VU YE
WormShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #828
beep

Oddometer: n/a
Note the standard tyres on the XC are completely different from the ones in the photo shoot.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #829
thephantom
Two-wheeled wanderer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijuana_Taxi
The street version has one brake line down to the left caliper then crosses over to the right caliper. The XC looks like one down to fork then T's off to both calipers and then also a crossover from caliper to caliper.
I thought that, but it appears the XC follows the street version - it also has one line that goes to one caliper then crosses over to the other. But there still those two additional cables / lines that look like they terminate at the fork itself. They also look like hydraulic lines, rather than cables based on the connectors...

This photo makes it clearer regarding the brake lines going to the caliper:

Is it possible they have electronically adjustable suspension on the XC?
thephantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #830
Gravehunter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Brake lines look to be a normal setup. The 2 lines that come down to the fork look to be separate to me.
I'm thinking adjustable suspension too!!
Old 10-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #831
thephantom
Two-wheeled wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravehunter
Brake lines look to be a normal setup. The 2 lines that come down to the fork look to be separate to me.
I'm thinking adjustable suspension too!!
There is also the remote reservoir for the rear shock but with no obvious remote preload adjuster, something I would expect on a bike like this.

If this thing has electronically adjustable suspension and is selling for 7.5k, they won't be able to make them fast enough
Old 10-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #832
Gravehunter
Studly Adventurer

I can't think of another reason for those lines being there. mmmmm...
Old 10-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #833
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
I think you guys are overthinking it.

What I see is a brake line coming down along the fork leg and going into a fitting attached to the fender, out of which comes another line that loops up towards the radiator and down on the other side. And from the right caliper another line splits off that hugs the fender and runs to the left-side caliper.

Why Triumph routed the line like this is beyond me, but it seems pretty clear that nothing's coming from that fender-mounted fitting to connect to the fork. It couldn't be directly connected to the fork leg at that point because the fender will move up and down in relation to the fork leg there.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #834
Gravehunter
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt

What I see is a brake line coming down along the fork leg and going into a fitting attached to the fender, out of which comes another line that loops up towards the radiator and down on the other side. And from the right caliper another line splits off that hugs the fender and runs to the left-side caliper.

Why Triumph routed the line like this is beyond me, but it seems pretty clear that nothing's coming from that fender-mounted fitting to connect to the fork. It couldn't be directly connected to the fork leg at that point because the fender will move up and down in relation to the fork leg there.

--mark
mmm... I see what your saying and i think your right. Weird way to run them. oh well, i don't really care. Its already so close to what i want i know i'll get one regardless!
Old 10-21-2010, 11:02 AM   #835
williedikker
You bet he will... TWICE

Oddometer: 68
Yeah, look at the front angled shots of the bike and you can see 2 looped brake lines going over the front fender. Not sure why they didn't run them like on the other bike. Just adds a splitter and gives a lot of slack in the one brake line.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #836
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,852
that has to be the worst brake line fitting i've ever seen. that is overdone even more than german standards. what create 2 loop backs? that just creates more fluid work and potential brake loss. the common thing to do would be a T and even better 2 braided line from the res.

i must say triumph has some head scratchers on this bike.
i know this has been discussed already.
-why is that front fender sooo close to the tire on this version. it goes against everything the bike is designed for. if you look at the pic of the bike w/ the knobbies the clear is unreal tight??? i can see a fender lift kit (w/ rider brackets) being one of the first mods to be done by the aftermarket. maybe that can be bundled w/ better brake lines.
-the frame tubing for the rear pegs. triumph expects this bike to be riden in the dirt yet attaches the rear pegs to frame to to rear subframe to the front frame??? a hard dump and you could be looking at a damage rear subframe/complete frame? they should of atleast make the rear peg brackets removable. if you use hard luggage the point is moot but not everyone will. who will be the first person to tweak this area? maybe people will cut it off to be safe as they don't ride w/ passengers anyway.

i think it's obvious that the designers did not consult hardcore offroad riders on what is needed or short commings they see before they went into production. in this sense triumph screwed up.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 10-21-2010 at 11:32 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #837
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Centerstand ?

Anybody see a centerstand for this xc? I would hope they offer one. Rod
Old 10-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #838
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
And so it begins..................................
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #839
mpowers
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodT
Anybody see a centerstand for this xc? I would hope they offer one. Rod

As you see from the picture a side nor centerstand is needed, it has a built in gyroscope to keep it balanced at stops.
mpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #840
thephantom
Two-wheeled wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt

--mark
I think you're right, and it's a very odd brake line config... shame it wasn't something more interesting.