Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #8506
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by motosickle2000 View Post
My Vstrom would absolutely soak my feet. The front tire splashed water on the chinguard which would direct the water to your feet. A fender extension almost completely cured this problem.
I have installed a fender extension on my T800, but it has not been baptised yet , so I am not sure how effective it is.
I used a "Fenda-Extenda" on my DL1000 and boots stayed out of any direct spray ... keeps engine cleaner too.

I've already seen an "extender" on the Tiger 800. The Brit guy who makes the adjustable shields and other stuff may be offering one for the Tiger 800 now. Check on the UK Tiger forum. Screen name "Strada" in vendors over there.

But if you ride in rain ... good waterproof boots a must in any case. And hopefully your water proof rain pant gaiters come down to ankle point. My old Oxtar Gore Tex boots work well in rain.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:46 AM   #8507
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
get waterproof boots?
Exactly. Goretex is wonderful stuff.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:08 AM   #8508
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Exactly. Goretex is wonderful stuff.
Alpinestars Scouts rock and on our trip the Triumph ADV boots although thinner soled than the Scouts or other ADV boots did very well. Both boots are 100% waterproof and breath even though they are not Gore. For the price not a bad option. I really like my Scouts for everyday riding and we have lot's of rain here throughout the winter.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:55 AM   #8509
CarlS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Alpinestars Scouts rock and on our trip the Triumph ADV boots although thinner soled than the Scouts or other ADV boots did very well. Both boots are 100% waterproof and breath even though they are not Gore. For the price not a bad option. I really like my Scouts for everyday riding and we have lot's of rain here throughout the winter.
In the summer, I don't worry about my boots and feet getting wet. They will dry in about 30 minutes of riding after the rain quits. So I do not wear waterproof boots in the summer. Now the winter is an entirely different story.
CarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:03 AM   #8510
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
What Carl said. Here in Florida, we wear a lot of the ventilated "air" boots. If any water gets in, it drains right out.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:04 AM   #8511
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlS View Post
In the summer, I don't worry about my boots and feet getting wet. They will dry in about 30 minutes of riding after the rain quits. So I do not wear waterproof boots in the summer. Now the winter is an entirely different story.
I hear you being in Florida...here waterproofed everything all the time... We wear TCX air boot that have a breathable waterproof Gore liner if you can believe that while letting air in during the HOT days.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #8512
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,479
So TuneECU has all the latest tunes for all models of the 800 and XC. Those who were having stalling problems, did the new tunes do the trick? I'm kind of assuming they did because I haven't heard any stalling complaints in this thread in a long while.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #8513
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
So TuneECU has all the latest tunes for all models of the 800 and XC. Those who were having stalling problems, did the new tunes do the trick? I'm kind of assuming they did because I haven't heard any stalling complaints in this thread in a long while.
So far so good but it's not hot any more either. I don't think I'll really know till next summer.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #8514
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,308
Quote:
My bike is on 20496, not the current 20629. Not sure if I should update, as I have never had the stalling issue.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #8515
MJNygs
El Duderino

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Not a single instance of stalling since the new map. Bike runs flawlessly now... super smoooth!
MJNygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #8516
CarlS
Adventurer

Quote:
I hear you being in Florida...here waterproofed everything all the time... We wear TCX air boot that have a breathable waterproof Gore liner if you can believe that while letting air in during the HOT days.
I have never tried the TCX air boot. I have tried other brands of "breathable" boots. They are just too hot for 95 F + weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
My bike is on 20496, not the current 20629. Not sure if I should update, as I have never had the stalling issue.
You should update; it is a recall. I did not have a stalling issue either; but I had the dealer upload the new map.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #8517
Romulux
Next exit

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
I have never tried the TCX air boot. I have tried other brands of "breathable" boots. They are just too hot for 95 F + weather.

It's a bit off topic for the thread, but I'm really looking at cooler boot options. The Sidi Discoverys that I have are comfortable and waterproof, but way too hot in the summer.

I've seen two kinds, those with vents and those that have large perforated sections.

Which have you tried? I have vented gloves and they don't seem to breathe at all. I have had other gloves that were perforated that worked very well at flowing air.

I'm guessing the same holds true for boots. Sidi has a few perfed lorica options like the Fusion Air and some perfed sport style (Vertigo maybe?).
Romulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #8518
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Quote:
You should update; it is a recall. I did not have a stalling issue either; but I had the dealer upload the new map.
I successfully updated the bike to 20629 and reset the adaption this morning. It could not have been easier. Thanks, TuneECU!
Old 09-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #8519
CarlS
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulux View Post
It's a bit off topic for the thread, but I'm really looking at cooler boot options. The Sidi Discoverys that I have are comfortable and waterproof, but way too hot in the summer.

I've seen two kinds, those with vents and those that have large perforated sections.

Which have you tried? I have vented gloves and they don't seem to breathe at all. I have had other gloves that were perforated that worked very well at flowing air.

I'm guessing the same holds true for boots. Sidi has a few perfed lorica options like the Fusion Air and some perfed sport style (Vertigo maybe?).
I, too, tried the Sidi Discovery; I agree, too hot. I have also used US military jungle boots. These are fine for off road; but I am not wild about having a get off on pavement with the nylon uppers of the jungle boots. I have settled for Justin Workboots, They do pretty well and do not get too hot. They lack the ankle protection of a motorcycle boot; but they do hold up very well in a highside and a slide down the asphalt. No road damage to my feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
I successfully updated the bike to 20629 and reset the adaption this morning. It could not have been easier. Thanks, TuneECU!
Very good. That makes you up to date. But since it is a recall, you should pop by a Triumph dealership.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #8520
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Quote:
Very good. That makes you up to date. But since it is a recall, you should pop by a Triumph dealership.
Ah, that. I had my bike in to the dealer weeks ago for the recall. They updated it to 20496 and the recall was closed. On the Triumph site my VIN shows no outstanding recalls. I don't know if my dealer would do a no-charge update anyway since the recall ticket was closed. I feel better about just doing it myself.