Too small for these old eyes.
CarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:05 AM   #8538
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by motosickle2000 View Post
How did you wire that switch in? Does it connect to the stock harness and if so, did you have to splice it?
I got a kit from
http://cgi.ebay.ie/Hazard-warning-sy...item4a9d91ebf7 Peterborough-imports is the ebay name.

The included instructions

A schematic with data for those sourcing their own components.

The switch needs to be a simple on/off with an LED for clarity.

Note: I would recommend installing to a switch fuse block rather than direct to the battery. Prevents issues with people messing around and you finding your hazards have been on all day!!

What you get is grand for a "localised" installation either at the front or at the rear (makes the switch harder to use though).
I though wanted the switch up front on the bars, the power to my eastern beaver pc8 by the ecu and the hazard relay and connections under the rear rack. This then requires some modifications, ie lengthening everything. Because the modded loom runs the length of the bike I added a connector to split the loom half way, under the "800" panel on the left.

From the front.
The switch is mounted on the bars just to right of the aux lights and heated grips

The supplied switch is not waterproof. I had a rummage and found some waterproof switch covers. Mark 1 switch housing

Made from high density nylon. The switch is round, the cover round so I made the housing from a scrap of round stock. The finished article, my mark 2 is aluminium

The loom runs from the switch following the bike loom from the bars under the tank, left hand side, along the frame and terminates at a connector under the "800 panel" as previously mentioned. It continues from the connector to the fuse block to the side of the ecu

And carries on to the rear rack.

The two green load wires attach to the rear indicators (white positive) with Posi-Taps (red PTA1800), not the supplied scotch locks. I got them here
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...posi-lock.html

All in I'm happy with the install.

KildareMan screwed with this post 09-20-2011 at 05:12 AM
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:12 AM   #8539
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Oddometer: 483
Too small

No fat chicks, fender will scrape.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:27 AM   #8540
ButtonPushingMonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Sry, was posting from my phone...let's try this. I haven't trimmed it yet or welded up the aluminum bracket mount yet but it should work OK. I have to build some sort of hugger since I will be getting rid of the rear upper fender, blinkers and taillight in favor of a LED sequential one from a CBR to clean up the lines a bit. The seat release will be moved to the right side.

ButtonPushingMonkey screwed with this post 09-20-2011 at 06:34 AM
ButtonPushingMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:07 AM   #8541
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtonPushingMonkey View Post
Sry, was posting from my phone...let's try this. I haven't trimmed it yet or welded up the aluminum bracket mount yet but it should work OK. I have to build some sort of hugger since I will be getting rid of the rear upper fender, blinkers and taillight in favor of a LED sequential one from a CBR to clean up the lines a bit. The seat release will be moved to the right side.

If I read this right your going to remove the back tail plastic? That back plastic catches a lot of crap. I wouldn't remove it (unless your never taking it offroad or riding in the rain.)
fbj913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #8542
motosickle2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Wow! Thanks for the very detailed description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
I got a kit from
http://cgi.ebay.ie/Hazard-warning-sy...item4a9d91ebf7 Peterborough-imports is the ebay name.

The included instructions

A schematic with data for those sourcing their own components.

The switch needs to be a simple on/off with an LED for clarity.

Note: I would recommend installing to a switch fuse block rather than direct to the battery. Prevents issues with people messing around and you finding your hazards have been on all day!!

What you get is grand for a "localised" installation either at the front or at the rear (makes the switch harder to use though).
I though wanted the switch up front on the bars, the power to my eastern beaver pc8 by the ecu and the hazard relay and connections under the rear rack. This then requires some modifications, ie lengthening everything. Because the modded loom runs the length of the bike I added a connector to split the loom half way, under the "800" panel on the left.

From the front.
The switch is mounted on the bars just to right of the aux lights and heated grips

The supplied switch is not waterproof. I had a rummage and found some waterproof switch covers. Mark 1 switch housing

Made from high density nylon. The switch is round, the cover round so I made the housing from a scrap of round stock. The finished article, my mark 2 is aluminium

The loom runs from the switch following the bike loom from the bars under the tank, left hand side, along the frame and terminates at a connector under the "800 panel" as previously mentioned. It continues from the connector to the fuse block to the side of the ecu

And carries on to the rear rack.

The two green load wires attach to the rear indicators (white positive) with Posi-Taps (red PTA1800), not the supplied scotch locks. I got them here
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...posi-lock.html

All in I'm happy with the install.
motosickle2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:28 AM   #8543
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,324
I just signed the papers on a 2012 xc. They are prepping it now and i will be riding home soon.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:43 AM   #8544
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
I just signed the papers on a 2012 xc. They are prepping it now and i will be riding home soon.

Welcome to the club.

FWIW, not sure I mentioned this, but I was at the dealership I bought my Tigger from (and my Sprint actually) and they have 3 Tiggers on the floor (def one XC - orange - and I think a couple streeties)- dealer is Performance Cycles in MA.

No affiliation other than as a satisfied customer.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #8545
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
dealer is Performance Cycles in MA.
How's the service dept at Performance?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #8546
when the road bends
hello

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
63 mpg? Very curious how you were getting that mileage out of your Tiger....we got more like low 40's at best over 44 days and 14,000 KM later.

i rode it for a day or two with the stock tune + arrow pipe. i think the lean mixture caused it to sip fuel. With the arrow tune my mpg has dropped down to about 50 now. Not bad i guess.

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
when the road bends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #8547
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,587
Will someone please give me a link or two for a diagnostic cable I can purchase and use with TuneECU? Everytime I search for one the more confused I get on what works.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #8548
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
How's the service dept at Performance?
Hard to say since I generally do all my own stuff. I will say that PC went to bat for me when the crank on my Sprint snapped out of warranty - all was fixed on Triumph's dime. The service writer there, Derek, has been there a long time (which I think is a good thing/sign) and I know the part manager very well and he runs a tight ship.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #8549
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Will someone please give me a link or two for a diagnostic cable I can purchase and use with TuneECU? Everytime I search for one the more confused I get on what works.
I got mine on Amazon. Search there for " VAG-COM 409" and it should be a blue cable with a mini CD (which you will not need.)
Old 09-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #8550
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Hard to say since I generally do all my own stuff. I will say that PC went to bat for me when the crank on my Sprint snapped out of warranty - all was fixed on Triumph's dime. The service writer there, Derek, has been there a long time (which I think is a good thing/sign) and I know the part manager very well and he runs a tight ship.
Great thanks. I bought my bike at Precision in RI. They seem good, but Triumph is new. They did the first service, just cos I like that kind of thing on new bikes, but I'll only take it to a dealer for the valves. Nice to see who else is out there for the future.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote