Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #8641
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Oddometer: 481

The turn signals are now about 1" inside of the plastic piece above them.

No fat chicks, fender will scrape.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #8642
CarlS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Looks good.
CarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #8643
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Scorpion for 800's now available in the u.s.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #8644
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Old 09-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #8645
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

The inside diameter of the pipe leading to the muffler is about 1/2" larger than stock.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:21 AM   #8646
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Old 09-24-2011, 09:21 AM   #8647
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,765
Test Ride

I visited a somewhat local and new Triumph dealership, who has primarily carried H-D and has just expanded its sales to Kawasaki and Triumph. They were gracious enough to offer a test ride of the bike I was interested in (800 Tiger) as I've been considering both the 800GS and the Tiger...
I have always been on boxers,(1100GS,1200GS,1200HP2 and now 1150GSA) so this is a big departure for me...
It was a similar upright riding stance like the above mentioned bikes which I like. I left the dealer on a route they use which consists of a freeway on ramp, brief freeway, two lane highway, back road, surface street, back on freeway to dealer- about 10 miles. The bike rode nice, the steering was neutral, but not as neutral as the 800GS. That may be due to the smaller front wheel of the street Tiger vs the XC or GS. The seat was comfortable, but I should have put it in the highest setting prior to leaving (my bad), as I thought it was too low and legs were cramped.
It rode very well with no hesitation on throttle response. I tried to keep it at 70-75 on the highway and it didn't seem "buzzy". It cornered well, but not as flickable as the 800GS. The two things I came away with was that it lacked the "torque", which I like on a bike and it generated a quite a bit of heat around the legs.
The + is that it had an unlimited warranty the first year on anything that wears out including chain, tires and brakes...and it is less expensive than the 800GS. Triumph should sell alot of these bikes as they are an alternative to the bigger "adventure" bikes at a reasonable price.

Afterwards, I got back on my "beast" GSA and flicked it around the backroads downshifting and rolling on the power out of the corners- Thinking I am going to keep the torque...
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #8648
vwdrvr66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Low Key Service Bulletin.....

Hey All,
Just came from my dealer and there was a service bulletin for the center stand rubber stop. Not sure if anyone had issues, but I know when I pulled mine out of the bag the little rubber plug end fell right off. I did not even think about it, just ziptied it on and called it good. Triumph has seems to be on top of things, which is pretty impressive, right down to the rubber stop. and by the way no issues with stalling since the new tune.
vwdrvr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #8649
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
So how does the bike run with the Scorpion on? Drive-ability/fueling still good? Any obvious holes in power band? And the sound? Too loud? ... quiet? ... or just right?

I'd imagine it's less than half the weight of the stock pipe ... but have you actually weighed both side by side?

The real question for me is how will the Scorpion hold up in 3 years? I've seen many many Alu aftermarket pipe literally fall apart over time ... too short a time. What is the Scorpion rep like? Price?

I did have a great experience with my Remus Titanium pipes, which lasted 80K miles over 6 years. Sold them off ... probably still on the road somewhere. Solid product.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #8650
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankgs View Post
Afterwards, I got back on my "beast" GSA and flicked it around the backroads downshifting and rolling on the power out of the corners- Thinking I am going to keep the torque...
All those years of GS's are going to be hard to erase from memory. Going from a bike with 70 ft. lbs. of torque to the little Triumph with 50 ft. lbs. ... Huge difference in character. And a different riding style required to get the most out of each. Total opposites.

You've obviously grown to like the heavy agricultural nature of BMW's boxers. Very useful machines indeed ... but I am not a fan of the sound or the feel .... or the Massey-Ferguson sounds that come out when hot. Compare this to the Tiger 800 going up though the gears.

I also am put off by shaft affect on a twisty road and lack of feel from the numb Tele-lever front end. Now add to this the 100 lbs. more weight of your 1150 GS. What is that worth?

Sure ... a rider can adapt to the BMW's "character" and thousands do .... just like a Chimp adapts to life in a space capsule with all the probes stuck in every orifice.

10 mile test rides may not give a rider a real chance to "discover" the charms of the Tiger 800. The most telling element that puts the Tiger ahead of a GS is basic : FUN! "Shit eating grin" type fun.

The 1150GS is probably a better 2-up touring bike and better commuter, but for many roads and rides the Tiger offers a lot ... but it takes time to get to know it and recalibrate your senses.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #8651
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,518
I don't know if people are still having trouble finding XC's or if supply has largely caught up with demand but I was just in the newly-reopened Triumph dealer in NYC today and noticed that they have 2 XC's on the floor (one white, one orange) and one white roadie. FYI.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #8652
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
It would appear that the latest maps released by Triumph have cured the issue. I have heard no reports of stalls after upgrading.
thanks for the info. any word on what the changes were?
did they go richer than their epa basemark maps supplied or use other techniques.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #8653
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
scorpion has a good reputation & a solid pipe for the price. it's called the poor mans staintune because of the stainless steel and the lifetime wool packing material they use.

staintune (considered by many to be the benchmark against all others) does not have a 800 pipe yet...but they will at some point.
http://www.staintune.com.au/exhausts/triumph/index.htm
http://www.cbtimports.com/staintune/index.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
So how does the bike run with the Scorpion on? Drive-ability/fueling still good? Any obvious holes in power band? And the sound? Too loud? ... quiet? ... or just right?

I'd imagine it's less than half the weight of the stock pipe ... but have you actually weighed both side by side?

The real question for me is how will the Scorpion hold up in 3 years? I've seen many many Alu aftermarket pipe literally fall apart over time ... too short a time. What is the Scorpion rep like? Price?

I did have a great experience with my Remus Titanium pipes, which lasted 80K miles over 6 years. Sold them off ... probably still on the road somewhere. Solid product.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #8654
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
thanks for the info. any word on what the changes were?
did they go richer than their epa basemark maps supplied or use other techniques.
I used TuneECU to compare the 20496 map to the 20629 map; the changes I saw were all at the low RPM and small throttle opening range, with more fuel being introduced and primarily through injector #1. Idle was also moved from 1100 to 1200.

As a result of the upgrade I no longer experience any snatchiness at throttle close/open transitions. I prefer the newer map even though I never experienced any stalling.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #8655
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,451
Map differences

Here is the 20496 map for injector 1.

Same map and injector, different view.

Now, here is 20629's mapping for the same injector. Note the differences at the low RPM and small throttle opening. (lower left hand corner.)

And the line graph view of the same. You can see the wider spread on the blue lines at the left side.

Hope that this is helpful.

Y