User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #8656
slobinski
Inept adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Remove the canister?

While starting to install a centerstand on my Roadie last night, I removed that canister next to the kickstand in order to reach various bolts/nuts. Looking at the service manual, it appears that one of the rubber hoses is a fuel tank vent line and the other returns vapors to the engine via a purge valve. Could that canister be permanently removed if the purge valve line was capped or plugged? I'm thinking the vent hose could be left alone; possibly add a small filter to the end to keep dust out of the hose.

Your thoughts?
slobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #8657
-lurkster-
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
I can if it's not against forum rules????? Or, PM me.
Don't know enough about the forum rules so I sent you a PM, thanks.
-lurkster- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #8658
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
Why?
Old 09-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #8659
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by slobinski View Post
While starting to install a centerstand on my Roadie last night, I removed that canister next to the kickstand in order to reach various bolts/nuts. Looking at the service manual, it appears that one of the rubber hoses is a fuel tank vent line and the other returns vapors to the engine via a purge valve. Could that canister be permanently removed if the purge valve line was capped or plugged? I'm thinking the vent hose could be left alone; possibly add a small filter to the end to keep dust out of the hose.

Your thoughts?
it was talked about in great length earlier in this forum. i don't know enough about it to help but i do know that it was talked about. i think a bunch of people are moving a canister on BMW's too.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #8660
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 4,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
I can if it's not against forum rules????? Or, PM me.
If you are not the vendor or you do not have any business association with the vendor you should be fine.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #8661
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 4,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
it was talked about in great length earlier in this forum. i don't know enough about it to help but i do know that it was talked about. i think a bunch of people are moving a canister on BMW's too.
It was called the canisteroctomy. Does not require a medical license. Check the CA rules, though.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #8662
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by slobinski View Post

Your thoughts?
I removed the canister and bracket, along with the line that feeds the purge valve. I then capped the purge valve fitting, leaving the purge valve on the bike, as it is tied into the bike's electrics. Lastly, I cable tied the fuel tank vent line up to the bottom of the bike to keep it clean but still open to vent.

This was a thousand miles ago. I pulled ECU error codes just the other day; or rather, checked for them. There were none.

You may safely remove the canister without any ill effects, other than possibly pissing off Al Gore.

At least Triumph's design of the canister is not too obtrusive if you leave it on the bike. Ducati tends to hang theirs out in the breeze, almost begging for removal.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #8663
slobinski
Inept adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Thanks, guys. I'm going to do this over the weekend. Appreciate the information.
slobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #8664
turboICE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
leaving the purge valve on the bike, as it is tied into the bike's electrics
I removed it all except for the tank line including the valve. There are ECU dianostics for things like a short - but nothing that checks for presence of the valve. 1,000 miles no codes resulting from revmoval of the valve. Plugged the vacuum bungs at the throttle body and removed the entire vacuum side of the system and the canister. Each throttle body has two vacuum lines make sure you remove the correct ones.
turboICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #8665
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboICE View Post
I removed it all except for the tank line including the valve. There are ECU dianostics for things like a short - but nothing that checks for presence of the valve. 1,000 miles no codes resulting from revmoval of the valve. Plugged the vacuum bungs at the throttle body and removed the entire vacuum side of the system and the canister. Each throttle body has two vacuum lines make sure you remove the correct ones.
Thanks for the info. Next time I dig that deep into the bike I will likely do the same.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #8666
ET-VT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
So I'm pretty sure I'm buying an 800 XC this winter to replace both a KLR650 and a BMW K75S. I'd been thinking about an F800GS, but after a long ride on one, I just didn't think it could be my only bike, being used to the smooth triple in the K75 for multi-day pavement touring. One test ride on an 800 XC and I felt it could do everything I need it to do. The motor makes a much bigger difference than the reviewers let on, as far as I'm concerned.

I've read and searched a lot of this thread, but have surely missed some things, so I apologize if I'm being redundant, but these are my current unanswered questions:
  • How fragile are the factory panniers, really? I'm not likely to hit any branches with them (I'd take them off for anything TOO rough), but might hit some good sized frost heaves and ruts. I've broken fairing pieces on my K75S just riding on paved roads in Vermont.
  • Can the left pannier hold a helmet? I assume the top box can, but I'm thinking about just getting the panniers and I'd like to be able to lock up my helmet on the bike when traveling.
  • If I did get a top box, how's the "sliding carriage" system work? Does that mean it can slide forward for better weight centralization when not carrying a passenger? Is THAT good and secure?
  • Any odd wind or vibration noise from the factory crash bars? Do they get in the way of any routine maintenance? Any reason to get someone else's?
  • Should there be any real concern about those headers being exposed above the factory add-on sump guard? There are the Touratech protectors, but are they at all necessary?
  • Tool storage options? I like running without hard luggage when I don't need it, but I'd like to keep all the tools to replace a tube on the bike at all times. Is there room underneath the seats for the basic toolkit, front tube, spoons and a pump (or CO2 cartridges)?
Furthermore, has anyone come from a KLR650 (mine's a 2008 model) to a Tiger XC? I'd like to hear opinions on how the XC handles rougher terrain compared to a KLR. I have no off-road skills, but have been able to keep up with all the R1200GS riders on my KLR when things get nasty. Can I expect the Tiger to be similar, or does that extra weight and streetability set it back?
ET-VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #8667
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,420
I have just 700 miles on my XC. Did 150 miles of gravel, mud and dirt last Saturday and even with the stock tires I was amazed at how it performed.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #8668
ElNorto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET-VT View Post
Furthermore, has anyone come from a KLR650 (mine's a 2008 model) to a Tiger XC? I'd like to hear opinions on how the XC handles rougher terrain compared to a KLR. I have no off-road skills, but have been able to keep up with all the R1200GS riders on my KLR when things get nasty. Can I expect the Tiger to be similar, or does that extra weight and streetability set it back?
I bought the XC expecting to sell my '08 KLR as well as my Guzzi cruiser. The XC will do most anything the Guzzi will do on pavement and I don't miss it but the KLR is much easier to ride off road for me. I am also pretty new to off road so a skilled rider could no doubt do more with the XC than I can do with the KLR but for now I plan to keep the KLR until my skills improve. The XC is heavier and it carries the weight higher than the KLR so its more of a handful in the rough stuff.
ElNorto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:01 AM   #8669
woodys3b
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Has anyone installed a N.E.P. style throttle friction cruise controller?

I have Bark Busters so I can't use the bar end style cruise controllers.

I'm also installing Oxford heated grips.

Thanks
woodys3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:16 AM   #8670
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET-VT View Post
So I'm pretty sure I'm buying an 800 XC this winter to replace both a KLR650 and a BMW K75S. I'd been thinking about an F800GS, but after a long ride on one, I just didn't think it could be my only bike, being used to the smooth triple in the K75 for multi-day pavement touring. One test ride on an 800 XC and I felt it could do everything I need it to do. The motor makes a much bigger difference than the reviewers let on, as far as I'm concerned.

• Tool storage options? I like running without hard luggage when I don't need it, but I'd like to keep all the tools to replace a tube on the bike at all times. Is there room underneath the seats for the basic toolkit, front tube, spoons and a pump (or CO2 cartridges)?
There is quite a lot of room under the pillion seat, some also under the rider's seat. With the pillion you can make the space more usable by removing the mouldings for the Triumph "U" lock.

You could also fit a tool tube. Get them here -

http://www.thetooltube.com/Home.html
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote