Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #8656
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
I used TuneECU to compare the 20496 map to the 20629 map; the changes I saw were all at the low RPM and small throttle opening range, with more fuel being introduced and primarily through injector #1. Idle was also moved from 1100 to 1200.

As a result of the upgrade I no longer experience any snatchiness at throttle close/open transitions. I prefer the newer map even though I never experienced any stalling.
cool. so tuneECU let you see what the official tune from Triumph entailed as far fine tuning?
do i have that correct? or are these tuneECU user created tunes? i do not understand 100% the realtionship between both or does Triumph as use tuneECU at the factory?

what about the guy going to Triumph dealer to get the latest fix? is this the same thing as can be found on tuneECU?

i will say that the ECU user interface and a user-based program like tuneECU is truly the future of FI as one is not dependent on the dealer for fixes/upgrades...similar to what changing jets etc. is to carb tuning.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps

eakins screwed with this post 09-24-2011 at 12:16 PM
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #8657
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 8,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
cool. tuneECU is for the end user who can indeed richen up the bike any way they want. what about the tune from triumph at the dealer? triumph NA would be under much stricter constraints.
The maps I have are Triumph-spec maps; I merely switched maps on the bike. 20629 is the latest release for the XC with ABS and stock exhaust.

I didn't fiddle with any of the settings as I would probably make a mess of things. I guess the good part is that you can press the RESET button (reload a map) any time you like.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #8658
davesmyth
Connoisseur

Oddometer: 121
Exhausts other than Arrow

I know it's a free market out there, but I don't know why anyone would go with a pipe other than Arrow on the 800. When you buy the pipe, you get the new ECU map from Triumph for free. That saves about $300 for a PC V, and another $300-400 for a custom map.

Dave
davesmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #8659
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
So how does the bike run with the Scorpion on? Drive-ability/fueling still good? Any obvious holes in power band? And the sound? Too loud? ... quiet? ... or just right?

I'd imagine it's less than half the weight of the stock pipe ... but have you actually weighed both side by side?

The real question for me is how will the Scorpion hold up in 3 years? I've seen many many Alu aftermarket pipe literally fall apart over time ... too short a time. What is the Scorpion rep like? Price?

I did have a great experience with my Remus Titanium pipes, which lasted 80K miles over 6 years. Sold them off ... probably still on the road somewhere. Solid product.

The bike ran well today--no better or worse than usual.

It's not supposed to need ECU changes. Did not weigh them but it must be (as you said) less than half the weight of the stock muffler. The stock muffler was suprisingly heavy.

Fit and finish is excellent. Had a Scorpion before on a 1250 Bandit but didn't have it for 3 years so can't speak to long-term reliability.

$305 delivered to your door in U.S.

No fat chicks, fender will scrape.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:36 PM   #8660
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmyth View Post
I know it's a free market out there, but I don't know why anyone would go with a pipe other than Arrow on the 800. When you buy the pipe, you get the new ECU map from Triumph for free. That saves about $300 for a PC V, and another $300-400 for a custom map.

Dave
One might "go with" the Scorpion because of price, ($305 vs. $799). The Scorpion DOES NOT require a remap, a PC V or a custom map..

One might go with the Scorpion because the Arrow Map gives the motor more fuel and therefore reduces fuel mileage.

One might go with the Scorpion because of the Carbon Fiber end-cap on the Arrow. Some people don't like the CF "look".

One might go with the Scorpion because it has 3 different "styles" (Stainless Oval like mine, Satin Titanium Oval, Carbon Fibre Oval). Arrow has one.

One might go with the Scorpion because if you damage it you get one at half MSRP.

Finally, one might go with the Scorpion because of it's life-time guarantee

No fat chicks, fender will scrape.

Porky screwed with this post 09-25-2011 at 07:17 AM
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #8661
dhula
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Dave
Probably because of the price I'd reckon. That and the arrow doesn't appeal visually to everyone. I know I don't like the looks of it and think there are other pipes that look nicer, but that is a personal thing.

If you put on a pipe other than arrow and wanted to remap you could always get tuneECU ($0 and widely used by triumph owners), buy the interface cable (I got mine for $15 delivered and had no problems with it) and get a custom map and probably come out ahead or at least even. If you wanted to you could use the arrow map with any other pipe as well. There is no real need to get a an on box (PC3 or 5 or whatever) for the triumphs
dhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #8662
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,682
Quote:

Dave
i saw the (free) arrow tune on the tuneECU website...
arrow or scorpion or any other after market pipe are gonna be free flowing in the aprox. same manner...
the scorpion pipe is $300 and it's $15 to get the tune adapter...
does not seem like the arrow is that great of a deal.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:55 AM   #8663
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Just pulled the trigger on a new white 2012 800xc last night.
Its my first experience with Triumph and this type of bike .
I only have a 100 miles on it but the fun factor has exceded my expectations , and just love the motor . Was not expecting the torque available at low revs.
high dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:23 AM   #8664
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
edit

high dangler screwed with this post 09-25-2011 at 04:17 AM Reason: found the answer
high dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:21 AM   #8665
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,283
Yesterday I put 150 miles on gravel, single track and twisties. This xc is amazing. I like the suspension, the smoothness and power of the 3 cylinders, the brakes, the seat and the overall look of the bike. Dislikes? Just one, we were riding in Steeler country, enemy territory.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:22 AM   #8666
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
So, will a pipe that doesn't need a remap give any performance gain? I don't really understand how it could. Thanks, Murf
Murf2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:42 AM   #8667
jagged slider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
Yesterday I put 150 miles on gravel, single track and twisties. This xc is amazing. I like the suspension, the smoothness and power of the 3 cylinders, the brakes, the seat and the overall look of the bike. Dislikes? Just one, we were riding in Steeler country, enemy territory.
Whoa, whoa, whoa! There's part of the country that's not Steeler Country?¿?

Those places have not seen the light!
'85 FJ 600 (sold)
'84 XL250R (sold)
jagged slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:17 AM   #8668
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,283
Sadly, there's really not. Being a Brown's fan is tough, especially when there are Steelers fans even in Cleveland. Hey, we are tied for first place! Probably won't be at 4 o'clock!!!

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #8669
basepc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
tanks bags

What are you using, what are its pros/cons? Thanks.
Brian
basepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:32 AM   #8670
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by basepc View Post
What are you using, what are its pros/cons? Thanks.
Brian
Held Turano. Best tank bag I've ever used. It's been on 3 bikes. Easy on/off. Never leaked although it's not waterproof. Set up for electrics if that's your thing. Big map case. Durable. Great bag.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote