User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #8731
Vzuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Heated hand grip install pics

I have been saving this ADV link until I did my heated hand grip install (just ordered them Saturday).
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=5060

It's starting to cool off here on the East coast. I figure with this and the Triumph instructions I should be good to go.
For looking up the Triumph instructions go to the Triumph instructions site and put in A9638058.
Vzuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:30 AM   #8732
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
OK, I am a little confused here so please be patient with me. How in the world does your ABS work in the gravel? Mine never did and at times when I forgot to turn it off on dirt/gravel it was almost a disaster when I needed to break hard. It does not work on the dirt/gravel. At least mine did not and several others that I ride with there ABS only works on the solid surfaces. Please explain to me the difference in the ABS the Tiger puts out compared to the other bikes.
Different bikes may have the ABS implemented in different ways. I've found that the ABS on my XC is good enough that I don't really need to turn it off when riding on dirt/gravel roads. It's not overly intrusive; it allows quite a lot of braking force in loose conditions before cutting in. I've forced it to activate by stomping on the rear brake on gravel, and every time I've been surprised at how much braking was accomplished between the ABS's pulses.

When riding in true offroad conditions I would of course turn the ABS off, but for the occasional unpaved road I don't bother.

And on pavement, the ABS is a nice safety feature. I've encountered a couple of situations in the 10,000+ miles I've put on my XC that I've needed to brake very hard, and it's reassuring to know that if the front tire rolls onto something slippery, or has decreased traction due to the type of tire that's mounted, it's not going to lock up.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015

markbvt screwed with this post 10-03-2011 at 06:36 AM
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:37 AM   #8733
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,408
I didn't mean to cause a huge debate over ABS. However, the forum is for just that. I have only 700 miles and when I came over the hill about 40 mph there were my two friends on 950 Adventures, eyes big as frisbees. I grabbed and slammed on the brakes, and the bike stopped before hitting anything. I think they too may have been surprised at how well the bike stopped in a short distance considering the circumstances.

I was surprised and grateful, don't think the DR650 would have done nearly as well. Only a real world experience, I am not very educated on ABS. When I went to the dealer he had one Tiger, all black ABS XC. If it didn't have ABS I would have bought it anyway.

Still Riff Raff

ThomasVolomitz screwed with this post 10-03-2011 at 08:56 AM
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:39 AM   #8734
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post
Thanks i hopeing someone puts a howto together for the heated hand grips and changing the tires.
Triumph has their own set of instructions for installing their heated grips. For installing aftermarket heated grips, I wrote up this how-to article months ago:
http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,1593.0.html

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:01 AM   #8735
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
I agree that ABS is a great feature and I would want it on the street as well, just not the dirt and gravel.

On another note; I have put in countless hours researching these bikes. Street, XC and even the 1050 Tigers and they all seem to be great machines. It seems that everyone is opting for the XC when the street version is more than capable of doing the "forest service roads", any dirt road that is not to rugged. I ride in the desert quite a bit and I do enjoy the really rugged rides on the small bike that only weighs 250#. I have several riding buddies that take there 500# SE's over some terrain that it just boggles my mind sometimes, but they are exceptional riders to start. My question here is why so many opt for the XC over the street version when it seems most people ride the smoother dirt roads? There are exceptions here as I have read many reports. I am just curious is all.

I went XC for the suspension, spoked wheels, extra clearence. I had a V-Strom a few years back and it always made me nervous having a solid wheel.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:04 AM   #8736
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,408
The difference between the Strom and XC is huge. XC is much more nimble and off road worthy IMHO. I had a wee for about 2000 miles and although it is a well made, reliable machine, off road it is quite heavy.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:08 AM   #8737
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn1203 View Post
I'm looking to the future, and checking out other bikes. Currently have a 2008 Ulysses - which is great, but you know how it is.

The Ducati MS12 is very fast etc but expensive, the Yam S10 is too slow and expensive. The XC800 is a good all round package but maybe not fast enough for me. I am therefore going through a 1050 infatuation.

My question is - is a 1050 significantly faster than a 800 and is the 800 significantly better off road.

Also, can the Tiger 1050 be tuned to kick out speed trip hp/tork

thanks

Fast? Is it a race? I guess I dont understand why fast is your goal. If you want fast go buy a supersport, or are you just wanting the fastest of your mentioned bikes above? I think the 800XC is plenty fast. The Tiger XC and the Tiger 1050, Duc MS12 are in two totally seperate categories. Also fast where? on gravel, on tarmac, on dirt...?
Old 10-03-2011, 08:40 AM   #8738
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Different bikes may have the ABS implemented in different ways. I've found that the ABS on my XC is good enough that I don't really need to turn it off when riding on dirt/gravel roads. It's not overly intrusive; it allows quite a lot of braking force in loose conditions before cutting in. I've forced it to activate by stomping on the rear brake on gravel, and every time I've been surprised at how much braking was accomplished between the ABS's pulses.

When riding in true offroad conditions I would of course turn the ABS off, but for the occasional unpaved road I don't bother.

And on pavement, the ABS is a nice safety feature. I've encountered a couple of situations in the 10,000+ miles I've put on my XC that I've needed to brake very hard, and it's reassuring to know that if the front tire rolls onto something slippery, or has decreased traction due to the type of tire that's mounted, it's not going to lock up.

--mark
This is very interesting, I am not an ABS expert only having one bike in the past with it. I am a solid a firm believer that the ABS is a huge option to have and I do like it. I am sure that I will find out real soon for myself as soon as I can pull the plug on getting a TIger.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #8739
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
I didn't mean to cause a huge debate over ABS. However, the forum is for just that. I have only 700 miles and when I came over the hill about 40 mph there were my two friends on 950 Adventures, eyes big as frisbees. I grabbed and slammed on the brakes, and the bike stooped before hitting anything. I think they too may have been surprised at how well the bike stopped in a short distance considering the circumstances.

I was surprised and grateful, don't think the DR650 would have done nearly as well. Only a real world experience, I am not very educated on ABS. When I went to the dealer he had one Tiger, all black ABS XC. If it didn't have ABS I would have bought it anyway.
Just like you say, it's a forum and inquiring minds want to know. BTW, that solid black Tiger looks great. Hell, they all do.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #8740
halfast3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
Oh mighty forum, please bring me great knowledge on what the replacement bulb number is for the factory-installed fog lights. The bulb has no markings on it...the only thing I'm fairly certain is that it is a bi-pin 55w bulb, roughly 1 and 1/2" long. My Triumph dealer had no clue, I checked at two other motorcycle shops and three automotive parts places...no joy. Anybody on the forum replace one of these %$#@* bulbs yet?
Can you post a photo of the bulb?
halfast3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #8741
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
I've found that the ABS on my XC is good enough that I don't really need to turn it off when riding on dirt/gravel roads. It's not overly intrusive; it allows quite a lot of braking force in loose conditions before cutting in. SNIP
--mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
I grabbed and slammed on the brakes, and the bike stopped before hitting anything. I think they too may have been surprised at how well the bike stopped in a short distance considering the circumstances.
I remember reading one of the magazine reviews which backs up the above experiences. Can't recall which mag ... but same kind of thing ... the ABS did not activate too easily on dirt/gravel and basically the bike just hunkered down ... and just STOPPED!
I would imagine doing very steep and loose downhills could be a problem.
For those conditions I'm guessing ABS off would be best.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #8742
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post

I know your pretty knowledgable about bikes, bike mechanics, and so on. So, Why did you go with the stock fog lights? They do not look sufficient to me...
Old 10-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #8743
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I remember reading one of the magazine reviews which backs up the above experiences. Can't recall which mag ... but same kind of thing ... the ABS did not activate too easily on dirt/gravel and basically the bike just hunkered down ... and just STOPPED!
I would imagine doing very steep and loose downhills could be a problem.
For those conditions I'm guessing ABS off would be best.
Come to think of it i didn't experience issues when i stopped to turn off the ABS. I just know from experience with my G650 that you should turn the ABS off.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #8744
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 47,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn1203 View Post
My question is - is a 1050 significantly faster than a 800 and is the 800 significantly better off road.

Also, can the Tiger 1050 be tuned to kick out speed trip hp/tork

thanks

The 1050 is way faster.

The 1050 is a street bike, period. Cast wheels, radial brakes, street tires, taut suspension.
No off road at all, so yes the 800 smokes it off road.

And with an off-road can and the correct tune installed, I think it puts out the same as a Speed Triple.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #8745
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I know your pretty knowledgable about bikes, bike mechanics, and so on. So, Why did you go with the stock fog lights? They do not look sufficient to me...
Actually they are very good, not really fog lights though, more auxiliary lighting. They broaden the spread really well AND make you really visible to the numpties in the boxes.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote