User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #8731
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 101
Replacement fog light bulbs

Oh mighty forum, please bring me great knowledge on what the replacement bulb number is for the factory-installed fog lights. The bulb has no markings on it...the only thing I'm fairly certain is that it is a bi-pin 55w bulb, roughly 1 and 1/2" long. My Triumph dealer had no clue, I checked at two other motorcycle shops and three automotive parts places...no joy. Anybody on the forum replace one of these %$#@* bulbs yet?
Old 10-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #8732
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
Oh mighty forum, please bring me great knowledge on what the replacement bulb number is for the factory-installed fog lights. The bulb has no markings on it...the only thing I'm fairly certain is that it is a bi-pin 55w bulb, roughly 1 and 1/2" long. My Triumph dealer had no clue, I checked at two other motorcycle shops and three automotive parts places...no joy. Anybody on the forum replace one of these %$#@* bulbs yet?
I've no idea but you might try to do some research over at donsbulbs.com - I have not seen a more comprehensive source for info of this sort.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #8733
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
Interesting question. The instructions for the fog light kit state that your dealer should be able to look it up in the parts catalog. Still I'm sure it's some standard type; I would tend to doubt that Triumph had some new type of halogen bulb developed specifically for this application. Let us know what you find out.

EDIT: Just looked at my fog light (to be installed tomorrow) and the bulb type is stamped on the back of the fog light casing: It's an H3 bulb, 55W.

The Jerk screwed with this post 10-01-2011 at 02:29 PM
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:38 AM   #8734
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
I don't even think you can move the lock cylinders.
Since every bike comes with a set of locks, same as the ignition key, you must be able to remove the cylinders.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:44 AM   #8735
The Jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Since every bike comes with a set of locks, same as the ignition key, you must be able to remove the cylinders.
Interesting theory, but, if the OEM cases for the Tiger 1050 are any guide, once the lock cylinders are installed in those cases, there is not a non-destructive way to remove them. You can drill through the lock cylinder, thus destroying it, or you can cut the case apart to remove it. Hopefully Triumph has not designed the 800's OEM luggage in the same way.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:16 AM   #8736
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Interesting theory, but, if the OEM cases for the Tiger 1050 are any guide, once the lock cylinders are installed in those cases, there is not a non-destructive way to remove them. You can drill through the lock cylinder, thus destroying it, or you can cut the case apart to remove it. Hopefully Triumph has not designed the 800's OEM luggage in the same way.
My understanding is that the cases can be re-keyed. I base this upon my purchase experience, when I declined to buy the Triumph cases that were on the showroom bike. A conversation between the sales guys indicated that while the cases were keyed to that bike, that there was a kit to allow them to be re-keyed to a different bike.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:27 AM   #8737
The Jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
My understanding is that the cases can be re-keyed. I base this upon my purchase experience, when I declined to buy the Triumph cases that were on the showroom bike. A conversation between the sales guys indicated that while the cases were keyed to that bike, that there was a kit to allow them to be re-keyed to a different bike.
I hope so. That would make a lot more sense and would make selling/buying cases on the used market a lot easier too. My T800 came with lock cylinders keyed to the bike meant to be installed into the OEM cases.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #8738
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Not a "theory". I got a set of pannier locks with my bike when I picked her up. I did not spec the panniers.
I did have a forlorn hope that the locks would fit my Givi cases. Alas, no.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:00 AM   #8739
Midpack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Abs

When I ordered my 800XC in early 2011 I was told if I ordered white with ABS I would probably get it sooner. The color did not matter, but the $700 for the ABS did bug me a bit ( $700 would cover 3 nice weekend trips). After receiving the white/abs XC and putting 100 miles on it I decided to go over to the next town. Traversing a three lane intersection, being in the center lane doing 35mph the car in front on me decides to stop right in the middle of the frappin intersection . Having a car on one side and a truck on the other all I could do was grab a handful of brake. The truck driver made trough the intersection, jump out of the truck, and came running over to see how bad it was. I had stopped just inches from the back of the car who's transmission had locked up on. $700 ABS, one day new bike = 5 month old with 4900+ miles of pure pleasure .
Attached Images

Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:13 AM   #8740
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Agree this would great if true, and it is what BMW does (include the ability for a layman to re-key the cylinders for different ignition keys). The real test would be if your dealer has returned (or can return) 3 useable lock cylinders to you. Even if you didn't want to use them yourself, they'd obviously be good to have if you ever want to sell the bike second hand.

Might be worth asking if he's still got them, assuming he hasn't tossed (or drilled ) them already.

In the end, it may not be such a big deal, I recall someone on the T800 forum that order a spare set of keys, and he got additional cylinders as well, although I'm sure those transponder keys and cylinders are pretty pricey from Triumph.

Snapper screwed with this post 10-02-2011 at 08:22 AM
Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #8741
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Quote:
Not a "theory". I got a set of pannier locks with my bike when I picked her up. I did not spec the panniers.
I did have a forlorn hope that the locks would fit my Givi cases. Alas, no.
All the bikes come with 3 keyed cylinders, what The Jerk is saying is that once the cylinders are installed in a case, you cannot get them out without destroying the lock or the case. My dealer told me they were not removeable/re-keyable, but perhaps he was just commenting on his experience with the T1050 cases.

I'd like to know if anyone has actually gotten their cylinders back from a T800 case, w/o destroying the case.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:33 AM   #8742
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
All the bikes come with 3 keyed cylinders, what The Jerk is saying is that once the cylinders are installed in a case, you cannot get them out without destroying the lock or the case. My dealer told me they were not removeable/re-keyable, but perhaps he was just commenting on his experience with the T1050 cases.

I'd like to know if anyone has actually gotten their cylinders back from a T800 case, w/o destroying the case.
OK I see what you're saying. Can't help with that one. I'm in Romania at the moment so cannot look at my locks, which are at home. On my Givi cases you just remove a circlip from the inside of the open case and the lock falls out.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #8743
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
When I ordered my 800XC in early 2011 I was told if I ordered white with ABS I would probably get it sooner. The color did not matter, but the $700 for the ABS did bug me a bit ( $700 would cover 3 nice weekend trips). After receiving the white/abs XC and putting 100 miles on it I decided to go over to the next town. Traversing a three lane intersection, being in the center lane doing 35mph the car in front on me decides to stop right in the middle of the frappin intersection . Having a car on one side and a truck on the other all I could do was grab a handful of brake. The truck driver made trough the intersection, jump out of the truck, and came running over to see how bad it was. I had stopped just inches from the back of the car who's transmission had locked up on. $700 ABS, one day new bike = 5 month old with 4900+ miles of pure pleasure .
Nicely done.... most riders would have been following too close to avoid a collision, even with ABS. There is no better safety feature then good sense and a high level of riding skill.

That's a beautiful photo, ya got a few more hill out there then we do in Florida....
Regards, Paul
Old 10-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #8744
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,319
The ABS saved me too on a gravel ride flying over a hill to a stop with two 950 Adventures in front of me. Works well, the money spent is nothing in the long run.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #8745
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
The ABS saved me too on a gravel ride flying over a hill to a stop with two 950 Adventures in front of me. Works well, the money spent is nothing in the long run.
OK, I am a little confused here so please be patient with me. How in the world does your ABS work in the gravel? Mine never did and at times when I forgot to turn it off on dirt/gravel it was almost a disaster when I needed to break hard. It does not work on the dirt/gravel. At least mine did not and several others that I ride with there ABS only works on the solid surfaces. Please explain to me the difference in the ABS the Tiger puts out compared to the other bikes.