Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #8806
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfast3 View Post
The only time I've had a problem with ABS was on a steep downhill driveway with loose gravel. The bike just didn't want to stop, a bit unnerving but I lived...
Which bike?
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #8807
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Sufficient for what?
sufficient for what they are ment for. you must have bought them for a reason. do they do what you expect them to do?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #8808
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
sufficient for what they are ment for. you must have bought them for a reason. do they do what you expect them to do?
I like them because they light up both sides of the road and trail. If you ride where theres deer you should get them
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #8809
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

off topic

What comms systems are you guys using on your Tigers? I was thinking of useing the WouxunKG-UV3D radio http://www.powerwerx.com/wouxun-radios/kg-uv3d-dual-band.html?id=39777&utm_source=googleShopping&utm_medium=googleShopping&utm_campaign=googleShopping (120US) with the Midland Motorcycle headsets (30.00US) http://www.midlandradio.com/Two-Way-...ies.NX9/AVP-H2

The Radio has a hack online http://www.worldwidedx.com/radio-rad...tware-mod.html to open up the blocked freqs so it can be used on regular GMRS freqs. Why not just use a regular GMRS Radio? Well because the antennae can be switched off and connected to a bigger mobile antenna and possibly mounted to a rear case or something like that for better range. This why i could have good comms with other vehicles i might ride with.

Xcountry-Rider screwed with this post 10-04-2011 at 06:44 PM
Old 10-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #8810
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post
What comms systems are you guys using on your Tigers?
One of the reasons I ride is so I don't have to carry a conversation with anyone.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #8811
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
One of the reasons I ride is so I don't have to carry a conversation with anyone.
I'm thinking of doing the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route next summer. I would like to get group of riders together the the FRS/GMRS radios would be the best cheapest option to keep anyone from getting lost.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #8812
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
I'm thinking of doing the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route next summer. I would like to get group of riders together the the FRS/GMRS radios would be the best cheapest option to keep anyone from getting lost.
When I was doing group riding, the cheapest solution was to stay together. But that might just be too old school ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:58 PM   #8813
Vzuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Recall notification.

I got my recall notice yesterday.

And while I'm a proponent of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I have heard some positive feedback on the new mapping (smoother) so I was going to give it a shot (no stalling issues with my bike). What I was curious about was, do they have a separate “new” mapping for the Arrow exhaust? I have been running the Arrow "load" since it was new. I’ll give the local Triumph dealer a call tomorrow.

Looks like Mongo wrote some of the recall notice.

------------------------------------------------------------------NOTICE-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installation of revised engine management software and replacement of accessory center stand spring (if fitted).
Tiger 800 and Tiger 800XC (including ABS models).
Vin Range: 466334 - 514871

Triumph has decided that defect which relates motor vehicle safety exists in certain model year 2011-2012 Tiger 800 and Tiger 800XC motorcycles. These models require the installation of revised engine management software to prevent engine stalling on deceleration. Without the revised software, you may experience an unexpected engine stall situation when decelerating which may increase the risk of a crash. Our records show that you are the owner of an affected motorcycle.

In addition, should your motorcycle also be fitted with a Triumph center stand kit, we shall replace return, which has be seen to fracture in service. Should the spring fail while riding, the center stand would drop and drag on the road service, which may also increase the risk of a crash.
---------------------------------------------------------------------END----------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought the center stand spring part was about a “weak” spring. As in the center stand slaps around when you are off roading. Not a problem so far for my tarmac bike (4000 miles).

My bike has been a blast since I picked it up in June. I’m looking forward to some long distance adventures instead of commutes and local rides (not that commuting isn't an adventure!).

Other tid bit: My Gas mileage (going by the bikes computer read out) Low of 38, High of 48 and an average of 43 MPG.

Vzuke screwed with this post 10-04-2011 at 08:01 PM Reason: Spelling
Vzuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #8814
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Quote:
Have you guys seen the pic of the up coming 1200 Adventure bike?

Whaaa?!
Old 10-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #8815
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Yeah, they are fog lights. They light up the road and give you a bit more light to the sides. Not a whole lot more useful in urban riding but will be nice out in the woods I think for helping to spot critters at the side of the road.

They are kind of pointless as fog lights (as are any fog lights) because you can't turn the headlight off. (To properly use fog lights, i.e. in fog, you would want to turn the headlight off and use only the fog lights to see while reducing glare.)

So I guess I was confused as to what made them not appear "sufficient." They are advertised as lights, and indeed they light up.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #8816
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vzuke View Post
What I was curious about was, do they have a separate “new” mapping for the Arrow exhaust? I have been running the Arrow "load" since it was new. I’ll give the local Triumph dealer a call tomorrow.
Yes there is a different tune for the Arrow exhaust.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #8817
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Panniers for the Tiger

These are the nicest Panniers that i've seen on the market for the price. They don't have a rack for the Tiger so we would need to buy that somewhere else and then mount the panniers. But they are 700 bucks and look nicer than anything else I've seen for anywhere near that price.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709206

http://www.cobraheat.com/PAK-MEISTER-Panniers_c_7.html

Xcountry-Rider screwed with this post 10-05-2011 at 08:44 AM
Old 10-05-2011, 01:36 AM   #8818
Andylaser
Heavy Metal

Oddometer: 996
They are a sensible size. I think far too many panniers are larger than they need to be.

OLD SKOOL HEAVY METAL
Andylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:34 AM   #8819
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,415
Quote:
My wife and I rode a part of the WABDR in July. We were just exploring the Chelan area on our DRs and ran into a couple "old" guys doing the WABDR. Both in their 70s out dual sporting and loving it! They told us about the route and we plan to go back and ride the entire thing.

Just tell everyone to buy the Butler map for the route. The guys showed me theirs on the trail and I was impressed so I ordered one when I got home. Excellent map and resource.

http://www.butlermaps.com/Motorcycle...iscovery-Route

Best way to keep people together is to just make it clear to everyone on the ride that *YOU* are responsible for the rider behind you. If you lose sight of your buddy behind you, wait at the next intersection you come to for 10 minutes. If they don't show up, turn around and go back looking for them.

By having a rider in front waiting at every intersection or fork then no one *should* get lost. This works very well, allowing everyone to ride at their own pace but not making anyone feel like their holding up the entire group.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #8820
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andylaser View Post
They are a sensible size. I think far too many panniers are larger than they need to be.
Looks like they will work with the Happy Trails rack and Happy Trails mounting kit.