2- crash protection
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #8852
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
thanks, i am now between the jesse bags and happy trails... i like the jesse bags because they seem to be really tough!
The Jesse bags for the Tiger 800 are beautiful. They fit the bike better than any I've seen. Love the way they tuck in nice and close ... all bags should fit this way.

But several things would give me pause regards Jesse's bags:
1. Weight. How do they compare with HT? And don't forget to weigh the mounting racks and all hardware.

2. Cost

3. Crash-a-bility. As good as Jesse bags appear, they don't always take a hit all that well. I've read the GS forums for years where hundreds of Jesse products are in use and have been for over a decade. Not all news is good.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #8853
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Has anybody tried the Caribou Motorcycle luggage system? They are made in the USA. They basically use a Pelican case with a Hepco & Becker carriers. I had Nanuk cases before (Canadian version of Pelican) and really liked them. Very tough and compare favorably weight wise. For $815 it seems like a very complete package for a reasonable price.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #8854
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
The Jesse bags for the Tiger 800 are beautiful. They fit the bike better than any I've seen. Love the way they tuck in nice and close ... all bags should fit this way.

1. Weight. How do they compare with HT? And don't forget to weigh the mounting racks and all hardware.

2. Cost

3. Crash-a-bility. As good as Jesse bags appear, they don't always take a hit all that well. I've read the GS forums for years where hundreds of Jesse products are in use and have been for over a decade. Not all news is good.

Here's the specs on the HT Panniers. The whole kit is $759.95!!

Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #8855
turboICE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
The US Tiger 800s are 50 state legal - the sole reason they all have carbon cansisters is solely to meet CA requirements not Federal.
turboICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:19 AM   #8856
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post
Stinkers
Old 10-06-2011, 05:59 AM   #8857
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post
Here's the specs on the HT Panniers. The whole kit is $759.95!!

yah that is a killer price. i dont remember them always being this cheap. i think they are on sale.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:21 AM   #8858
john3500
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Tiger

The Jesse mounts are very well designed; they are strong, simple and fit nicely onto the bike. They are not in the way or obvious when the bags are not mounted. For me the Jesse bags are for long trips or when I am lazy which seems to be more often than not. On short trips of a few days or so and curvy roads, I prefer a Moto-Fiz tail bag. If you get the Jesse, the mounting and adjustment instructions are not optimal yet. PM me if you need help or specific information.
john3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:06 AM   #8859
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,357
Quote:
2 main reasons.
1- i want my gear to be locked away and safe
Has anyone had gear taken from their bikes? I always wondered about it, but usually I keep everything on my bike and nothing has happened to it. Sometimes even the keys are left there.

Quote:
2 main reasons.
2- crash protection
On the Tiger it may be different because of the infamous passenger pegs welded to the frame (and not the sub-frame), but in general, hard bags on a crash are likely to create more damage to a bike. They are metal, if they don't deform they will transfer the impact directly to important bits of a bike. Like frames and sub-frames. Soft bags will provide more protection, in those cases. But again, in the case of the Tiger, it is likely to be a mute point because of the pegs that are bolted to the frame. If the pegs touch ground first on a hard crash, hard or soft bags won't matter. And anyway, this bike has no plastic on the rear.

I like a combination between soft and hard luggage. Here (on this video) is my set up. And in no time (the duration of the video) I have the bike unloaded, if unloading was required.

This is a very light, efficient and streamlined set up. And I still can lock up stuff in the small pelican box (storm IM2200) if I need. The bike can be ridden off pavement without worrying about anything. The one negative: you can't carry a passenger, only reason I would ever go for a hard set up (and in that case would probably choose pelican or something as tucked in as possible, like Jesses).

Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:14 AM   #8860
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
I am ready to pull the trigger on a Scorpion carbon fiber slip on. Only problem, can't find anybody selling them. It is listed on Scorpion's site that they are making it.

Anybody know?
Thanks,
Tom

Contact the U.S. distributor - TAW Performance (Google).

I did!.

No fat chicks, fender will scrape.
Porky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #8861
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post

you bring up a very good point about weight. i just got an email from Rick at xploremoto, he said the Jesse's weight 35-38 lbs with mounts.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:10 AM   #8862
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Has anyone had gear taken from their bikes? I always wondered about it, but usually I keep everything on my bike and nothing has happened to it. Sometimes even the keys are left there.

On the Tiger it may be different because of the infamous passenger pegs welded to the frame (and not the sub-frame), but in general, hard bags on a crash are likely to create more damage to a bike. They are metal, if they don't deform they will transfer the impact directly to important bits of a bike. Like frames and sub-frames. Soft bags will provide more protection, in those cases. But again, in the case of the Tiger, it is likely to be a mute point because of the pegs that are bolted to the frame. If the pegs touch ground first on a hard crash, hard or soft bags won't matter. And anyway, this bike has no plastic on the rear.

I like a combination between soft and hard luggage. Here (on this video) is my set up. And in no time (the duration of the video) I have the bike unloaded, if unloading was required.

This is a very light, efficient and streamlined set up. And I still can lock up stuff in the small pelican box (storm IM2200) if I need. The bike can be ridden off pavement without worrying about anything. The one negative: you can't carry a passenger, only reason I would ever go for a hard set up (and in that case would probably choose pelican or something as tucked in as possible, like Jesses).

Lion
Yep those great loop bags are cool but i needs bags for my wifes stuff. Since you can't have a passenger with them it brings me back to hard bags.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #8863
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,315
Three weeks ago I ordered bar risers from Twisted Throttle. Still haven't shipped. Late last night I ordered a map handlebar holder from Procycle.us and it shipped already. Procycle is always right on it with customer service and shipping.

I have no affiliation, only a satisfied customer.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #8864
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
Three weeks ago I ordered bar risers from Twisted Throttle. Still haven't shipped. Late last night I ordered a map handlebar holder from Procycle.us and it shipped already. Procycle is always right on it with customer service and shipping.

I have no affiliation, only a satisfied customer.
In my experiences with TT, they don't stock everything they sell, but rather get it from the source (such as SW Motech) once the order has been placed. I agree it can be frustrating to wait for weeks or months for an item.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #8865
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
you bring up a very good point about weight. i just got an email from Rick at xploremoto, he said the Jesse's weight 35-38 lbs with mounts.
That weight is about equal to ALL my clothing, extra riding gear, tools,
and misc. stuff. My soft bags weigh about 3 lbs. Stand off racks are 3 lbs. ea.

Hard bags are great for road trips ... especially two up. Security is mostly a non-issue for touring riders. Unless you leave your bike in downtown cities most times not an issue.

I've been all though out Latin America on bikes. Never a theft with soft bags ... but I use inner bags and bring them in at night. Takes 10 seconds. Bags stay put.

If going off road then weight matters. Adding 38 lbs. for bags is a lot. You will feel it.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote