Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #8881
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Thanks

Now, if you ONLY hit the front OR rear brake, will the ABS still kick in ? If so, will the ABS ONLY pulse the brake being applied or BOTH brakes ? I assume (but we know how that goes) it will work on either brake on its own and will only pulse the brake being applied but I really don't know for sure.
Yes to the first question and only the brake being applied for the second question (at least that's how Triumph does it). Other manufacturers may implement ABS differently and linked brakes may introduce further complication.

Next time you are riding your Tiger and just rolling along, just stand on the rear brake pedal real hard. ABS kicks in for the rear to keep it from locking, front wheel keeps rolling normally. The system is split just as the brakes are split.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #8882
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
ROX Risers

My altrider order for the ROX Risers already shipped. That's same day shipping pretty good!!
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #8883
Redne Dab
Poseur Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I want to stress, again, I'm just trying to learn here.

Why would a wheel leaving the ground as you suggest (and which I can certainly believe) cause the ABS to kick in - if the wheel is still rotating, why would the ABS think the brakes need applying ?
I don't think any of the bikes we're discussing have linked brakes, so I believe it is safe to say that if they are only pressing the front or rear brake lever -ABS will only be active on that respective wheel.

Why does a wheel bouncing off the ground confuse ABS sometimes? The purpose of ABS is to stop the wheel from unexpectedly locking up. It does this by releasing the brakes if the wheel comes to an unexpected stop. If the braking wheel happens to momentarily bounce into the air, it can suddenly stop spinning -this will appear to the ABS system as a skid and it will activate the ABS system and cause the brakes on that wheel to release. Like it or not, at that instant, you have lost your brakes.

That help? My apologies if it doesn't -I am 28 hours post surgery and drugged to the gills.

Redne

PS: Obligatory Triumph content: I like them.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #8884
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks_Gman View Post
Greetings fbj. Just reading through this mammoth thread, getting close to pulling the trigger on an 800xc. I noticed your location, and also your V-Strom experience, we have both of these things in common...hopefully soon one more thing!

I'm actually in the Olathe area. I'm a single track guy by nature, but tried the VStrom and sort of found it lacking. Great road bike, just scary everywhere else. Had a 640 E for awhile, boy do I regret letting that go. Spend most of my riding time on my KTM 300.

That said, I'm hoping to add the Tiger to the garage.

Curious, did you buy local (KC)? Ever do any two-up riding? Wife has taken a bit of interest in riding lately.

GW.
I bought my R100GS from Engle's (BMW & Triumph dealer) in '91. They were good folks back then. I don't live in the KC area now and haven't been in the shop for a few years so I can't really vouch for them now, but over the years they've been good about getting parts to me in the mail in a timely fashion.

I test rode a Tiger 800 street (and a Bonneville and a Scrambler) at the dealer in Eldorado Springs, MO. I haven't bought anything from them yet, but they're pretty nice folks if you don't mind the drive.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:28 AM   #8885
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redne Dab View Post
I don't think any of the bikes we're discussing have linked brakes, so I believe it is safe to say that if they are only pressing the front or rear brake lever -ABS will only be active on that respective wheel.

Why does a wheel bouncing off the ground confuse ABS sometimes? The purpose of ABS is to stop the wheel from unexpectedly locking up. It does this by releasing the brakes if the wheel comes to an unexpected stop. If the braking wheel happens to momentarily bounce into the air, it can suddenly stop spinning -this will appear to the ABS system as a skid and it will activate the ABS system and cause the brakes on that wheel to release. Like it or not, at that instant, you have lost your brakes.

That help? My apologies if it doesn't -I am 28 hours post surgery and drugged to the gills.

Redne

PS: Obligatory Triumph content: I like them.
I thought all ABS brake systems are linked. That's what makes them effective, right? Not unlike AWD drive systems distributing traction.

I've never ridden a bike with ABS, but I sure can't see using ABS on dirt roads... Loose or steep downhills and such. Too often I feel like I have to modulate the brake on one wheel or the other for the desired effect. Even approaching a dirt or gravel apex too fast...sometimes to get the thing turned, you have to slide the back out. You do that with the rear brake, or gearbox, or both.

Can anybody tell me how heavy the Tri 800 is? I've read all kinds of weights. I think I'm going to try and test ride one today. Maybe the BMW 800 too. Thanks.

Pantah screwed with this post 10-08-2011 at 06:37 AM
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:49 AM   #8886
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I thought all ABS brake systems are linked. That's what makes them effective, right? Not unlike AWD drive systems distributing traction.

I've never ridden a bike with ABS, but I sure can't see using ABS on dirt roads... Loose or steep downhills and such. Too often I feel like I have to modulate the brake on one wheel or the other for the desired effect. Even approaching a dirt or gravel apex too fast...sometimes to get the thing turned, you have to slide the back out. You do that with the rear brake, or gearbox, or both.

Can anybody tell me how heavy the Tri 800 is? I've read all kinds of weights. I think I'm going to try and test ride one today. Maybe the BMW 800 too. Thanks.
Weight is 210Kg with all fluids (800). The XC is slightly heavier at 215Kg.
ABS only intervenes on a wheel that is skidding.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:01 AM   #8887
Ks_Gman
Rank outsider

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
I I test rode a Tiger 800 street (and a Bonneville and a Scrambler) at the dealer in Eldorado Springs, MO. I haven't bought anything from them yet, but they're pretty nice folks if you don't mind the drive.
I agree 100%, I bought my VStrom from them.
You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. Come back when you're worthy.
Ks_Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #8888
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:

BRAKES ARE NOT CONNECTED, ABS IS NOT CONNECTED. in no way like all wheel drive vehicles. (sorry not mad just wanted to put that to rest )
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #8889
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks_Gman View Post
Greetings fbj. Just reading through this mammoth thread, getting close to pulling the trigger on an 800xc. I noticed your location, and also your V-Strom experience, we have both of these things in common...hopefully soon one more thing!

I'm actually in the Olathe area. I'm a single track guy by nature, but tried the VStrom and sort of found it lacking. Great road bike, just scary everywhere else. Had a 640 E for awhile, boy do I regret letting that go. Spend most of my riding time on my KTM 300.

That said, I'm hoping to add the Tiger to the garage.

Curious, did you buy local (KC)? Ever do any two-up riding? Wife has taken a bit of interest in riding lately.

GW.
Hello Hello. yes this thread is a bit lengthy. a little ridiculous. i went to look for some pictures that were posted a while back and it took me like 15 minutes. Oh well

I would compare the VStrom 1000 to the Tiger like this: The tiger is everything the VStrom will never be . I personally did not like the Strom at all. I know that there are some serious Strom followers out there and I am not knocking them one bit. I just didn't care for the bike. I to come from a single track back ground. I have put more miles on the Tiger in 3 ish months than I put on the Strom in 2 years. Two up riding is not bad at all. I bought the Triumph Top case for my girl to lean on and she doesn't mind it. We havnt been on any really long rides and I don't plan to make it a habit either. I prefer to go on long rides alone. I know that if I had to do it over again I would test ride a well set up DR650, or a comparable smaller dual sport. Not sure if I would chose it over the Tiger but I would say that I regret not at least looking at the option. You know that Donnels sells Husky now right? They just got a few bikes in a couple months ago.
Yes I did by local. This is the second Triumph I bought from Engle Motors. I think they are good people and I enjoy doing business with them. In fact the owner of Engle Motors rides a Tiger XC and he reads this forum regularly. HI MIKE!
Any thing other than Triumph and I would take my business to Donnels.
Oh ya one more thing, you got rid of your 640SE???? sorry I had to. I will PM you my number. I am always looking for a riding buddy! And if you want to meet up and take a look at the Tiger I'm ok with that too. Cheers

fbj913 screwed with this post 10-08-2011 at 08:00 AM
Old 10-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #8890
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Weight is 210Kg with all fluids (800). The XC is slightly heavier at 215Kg.
ABS only intervenes on a wheel that is skidding.
Thanks...and you can turn the ABS off, right? Seems like a friendly system for even old schoolers like me.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #8891
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Thanks...and you can turn the ABS off, right? Seems like a friendly system for even old schoolers like me.
Yes you can turn it off. But only while stopped and in neutral.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:48 AM   #8892
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,594
Quote:
That is incorrect.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #8893
fbj913
I ride

Happy Trails and Wolfman Unite

Well after tons of reading and decision making I decided to pull the trigger on some side luggage. I decided to go to Walmart and strap too rolley suit cases to the sides of my Triumph frame and hope they stay on... not really but I seriously thought about it
What I really did was buy the Happy Trails SU side racks and 2 large Rolie Wolfman bags. Here was my reasoning. It was only $500, it will be a perfect off road set up (light and won't break my leg if I have to put a foot down wile riding off road), and I am going to order the happy trails hard cases next spring for long tarmac/two up rides. After its all said and done I will have a fully set up Happy Trails system, two large Wolfman rolie bags, and all cheaper than one set of Jesse Bags... Im STOKED!
Old 10-08-2011, 08:05 AM   #8894
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
What I really did was buy the Happy Trails SU side racks and 2 large Rolie Wolfman bags. Here was my reasoning. It was only $500, it will be a perfect off road set up (light and won't break my leg if I have to put a foot down wile riding off road), and I am going to order the happy trails hard cases next spring for long tarmac/two up rides. After its all said and done I will have a fully set up Happy Trails system, two large Wolfman rolie bags, and all cheaper than one set of Jesse Bags... Im STOKED!
Hey, way to think outside the box on this one. Glad to see it!

When you get them all mounted up, I hope you take some photos and post them here; I, for one, am interested in taking a look.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:28 AM   #8895
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Hey, way to think outside the box on this one. Glad to see it!

When you get them all mounted up, I hope you take some photos and post them here; I, for one, am interested in taking a look.
Thanks! My girl makes fun of me all the time because it takes me months to make decisions. I will post some pics for sure. It will be a couple weeks though. I hope I get my gear next week but will have zero time to mount everything up until the week after.