Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #8926
bigtallguy
Sasquatch Jr.

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Oh, most definitely.
Please, do elaborate I'd like some sort of reference to go by before I insult the dealer
Old 10-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #8927
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtallguy View Post
Please, do elaborate I'd like some sort of reference to go by before I insult the dealer

just ask. if you get an answer you dont like walk out. there is room for them to budge. but dont forget, they dont make a ton of money on bikes. and they are a hot item right now.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #8928
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lurkster- View Post
Despite a lot of freeway riding in the mix, I have been consistently averaging 42mpg (US, about 51mpg UK) on the 800 XC. This is pretty similar to the liter sportsbike I had before it. I love this bike in every other way but it is clearly being skinned in the mpg department.

your only getting 42mpg? thats really low. are you running an arrow pipe with the arrow tune?
Old 10-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #8929
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer: 246
I run an Arrow pipe with the Arrow tune and get from 44-46 MPG and I like to hear the exhaust note so I do twist the handle a bit

Jerry
Old 10-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #8930
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtallguy View Post
No super secrets; motorcycles are a commodity like cars. If you don't want to buy it more than the dealer wants to sell it to you (or can make it appear that way) then the advantage is yours.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #8931
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
In 38 fills I've only gone below 50mpg (imperial) twice. The overall average is now 52.31mpg. I don't call that sub standard at all. I have noticed an increase in consumption since the new tune (20630) was loaded, but that is offset by the smoothness, which improved with the new tune.

For the those interested the consumption has increased by 1.77mpg (imperial) since the tune change.
"substandard" was my word and was probably not the best choice .... was not the BIKE writer or Triumph saying this, just me interpolating.

Also, I'm glad you noted that you are dealing in Imperial gallons, not US gallons.

The BIKE testers got about the same MPG as you did ... 52 MPG (Imperial).
As we know the BIKE guys aren't dawdling along and are making good progress most of the time.

I'm guessing that 52 MPG (Imperial) would translate to about 45 MPG or so in US gallons?? Not bad but not great either. BMW has given Triumph something to shoot for. All good.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #8932
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
According to the article BMW has been chasing fuel economy a long time ... and applied what they've learned from car technology onto other bikes in their line up. Lots of little tricks being employed.
Yes, that's why they bought Rover cars. Rover had done a lot of research into "lean burn" technology prior to Catastrophic converters being introduced. It was never implemented by Rover but it has been stolen, sorry bought by BMW and they are using the technology in all their vehicles.
BMW did the same with Landrover. They nicked all the off road technology (hill decent etc.) and put it into things like the X5.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #8933
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
BlackTiger sez:

"Also in Greece today...."

Where in Greece? I go there a fair amount for business, would love to take a riding holiday there....some stunning scenery.
Quote:
PLUS ONE ++++ Good to see you out there and getting it done! I've only been in the Athens airport a couple times ... man, looks like some great country. How about some quaint village shots and Uzo festivals? How are costs now ... with the financial crisis have prices reduced much for tourists? (with UK pounds)
All over Greece is the answer to the first question....
Sparta Memorial @ thermopoli...

Ancient Myceni...

Nafplio...

Leonides Statue in Sparta...

Anyway you're stopping me updating my RR http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17051821

Fuel at €1.58 to €1.70 PER LITRE!!! No, cost aren't very good for anyone here.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #8934
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
"substandard" was my word and was probably not the best choice .... was not the BIKE writer or Triumph saying this, just me interpolating.

Also, I'm glad you noted that you are dealing in Imperial gallons, not US gallons.

The BIKE testers got about the same MPG as you did ... 52 MPG (Imperial).
As we know the BIKE guys aren't dawdling along and are making good progress most of the time.

I'm guessing that 52 MPG (Imperial) would translate to about 45 MPG or so in US gallons?? Not bad but not great either. BMW has given Triumph something to shoot for. All good.

I havnt reset my mpg thingy on my computer for about 1000 miles now and it stays steady at 50- 51 mpg. I run the piss out of it too. I wonder how accurate thier computer is...?
Old 10-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #8935
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I havnt reset my mpg thingy on my computer for about 1000 miles now and it stays steady at 50- 51 mpg. I run the piss out of it too. I wonder how accurate thier computer is...?
Not as accurate as calculating it yourself using the trip meter. Handy as reminder though as it's pessimistic so you should never run out if you follow the computer

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #8936
-lurkster-
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
your only getting 42mpg? thats really low. are you running an arrow pipe with the arrow tune?
That is 42mpg (US gallons) stock with no arrow pipe, and no arrow tune (I hope), at sea level, with a 170lb rider. I think that is about what most people are reporting- and it sounds on a par with the BIKE magazine test (52mpg (UK gallons) is about the same). I know some people are reporting 50+ mpg (US), but I cannot imagine that is possible on my bike without heroic levels of granny driving. If this bike was at 50mpg (US) from mixed use I would be delighted.
-lurkster- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #8937
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,594
I keep track of my fuel economy in a spreadsheet and don't rely on the (inaccurate) computer.

So far the lowest mileage I've gotten is 32.66 mpg (though usually my city riding puts me in the 36-38 mpg range) and the highest mileage I've gotten is 46.63 mpg. These are all U.S. mpg figures and figured on a per-tank basis. The average of all my tanks so far is 41.46 mpg.

I really don't see how people are getting over 50 mpg U.S. I'm not much of an aggressive rider and I expect not-so-great mileage in NYC but even those long highway trips only get me in the upper 40s. Standard tune for the bike with standard exhaust.

I'm not complaining because I really don't give a shit about the mileage the bike gets - that's not why I bought it. Just reporting my data.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #8938
The Jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Yes, that's why they bought Rover cars. Rover had done a lot of research into "lean burn" technology prior to Catastrophic converters being introduced. It was never implemented by Rover but it has been stolen, sorry bought by BMW and they are using the technology in all their vehicles.
BMW did the same with Landrover. They nicked all the off road technology (hill decent etc.) and put it into things like the X5.
Everybody's using lean mixtures these days, that's not the interesting stuff. Where BMW is really doing interesting things with the cars is with their Valvetronic technology. One of the big killers of fuel economy is throttling losses so Valvetronic does away with the throttle and instead uses variable intake valve lift to control engine load in response to the input from the gas pedal. Really neat stuff. Wonder how long it will be before that technology makes it to their bikes.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #8939
-lurkster-
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
I keep track of my fuel economy in a spreadsheet and don't rely on the (inaccurate) computer.

So far the lowest mileage I've gotten is 32.66 mpg (though usually my city riding puts me in the 36-38 mpg range) and the highest mileage I've gotten is 46.63 mpg. These are all U.S. mpg figures and figured on a per-tank basis. The average of all my tanks so far is 41.46 mpg.

I really don't see how people are getting over 50 mpg U.S. I'm not much of an aggressive rider and I expect not-so-great mileage in NYC but even those long highway trips only get me in the upper 40s. Standard tune for the bike with standard exhaust.

I'm not complaining because I really don't give a shit about the mileage the bike gets - that's not why I bought it. Just reporting my data.
This closely reflects my experience- I average 42mpg (US), best was 46mpg, worst was 37mpg. This is calculated using the trip meter and tank refill quantity.

One thing does mildy irritate me though- my car was sold with the manufacturers mpg quoted as 24/28 city/freeway and I average about 26mpg in real use. Triumph USA quote 41/63 city/freeway and I average the bottom end of that spectrum even on the freeway, as did BIKE magazine in their tests.
-lurkster- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #8940
The Jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lurkster- View Post
Triumph USA quote 41/63 city/freeway and I average the bottom end of that spectrum even on the freeway, as did BIKE magazine in their tests.
All I can say is that the EPA test they are basing that on must not be very similar to real-world riding.