User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2011, 06:56 AM   #8926
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
Happy Trails and Wolfman Unite

Well after tons of reading and decision making I decided to pull the trigger on some side luggage. I decided to go to Walmart and strap too rolley suit cases to the sides of my Triumph frame and hope they stay on... not really but I seriously thought about it
What I really did was buy the Happy Trails SU side racks and 2 large Rolie Wolfman bags. Here was my reasoning. It was only $500, it will be a perfect off road set up (light and won't break my leg if I have to put a foot down wile riding off road), and I am going to order the happy trails hard cases next spring for long tarmac/two up rides. After its all said and done I will have a fully set up Happy Trails system, two large Wolfman rolie bags, and all cheaper than one set of Jesse Bags... Im STOKED!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:05 AM   #8927
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
What I really did was buy the Happy Trails SU side racks and 2 large Rolie Wolfman bags. Here was my reasoning. It was only $500, it will be a perfect off road set up (light and won't break my leg if I have to put a foot down wile riding off road), and I am going to order the happy trails hard cases next spring for long tarmac/two up rides. After its all said and done I will have a fully set up Happy Trails system, two large Wolfman rolie bags, and all cheaper than one set of Jesse Bags... Im STOKED!
Hey, way to think outside the box on this one. Glad to see it!

When you get them all mounted up, I hope you take some photos and post them here; I, for one, am interested in taking a look.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #8928
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Hey, way to think outside the box on this one. Glad to see it!

When you get them all mounted up, I hope you take some photos and post them here; I, for one, am interested in taking a look.
Thanks! My girl makes fun of me all the time because it takes me months to make decisions. I will post some pics for sure. It will be a couple weeks though. I hope I get my gear next week but will have zero time to mount everything up until the week after.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #8929
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I know that if I had to do it over again I would test ride a well set up DR650, or a comparable smaller dual sport. Not sure if I would chose it over the Tiger but I would say that I regret not at least looking at the option.
You can find used DR650's out there at bargain prices. Get an older one that hasn't been beat on. I've never been more surprised by a bike as I have been with the DR650's. Cheap date, reliable as a hammer, crash very well, much more capable off road than you might imagine ... but no, won't match your RMZ450.

I also owned a '02 and '06 DL1000 Vstrom. The Tiger is a very different bike.
Much sharper handling, better feedback, sweet motor and better brakes. I've never ridden a Tiger 800 off road but I'm betting is 100% better than my DL1000 Vstrom, which I rode all over Baja and mainland Mexico ... to the tune of 80,000 miles.

The DR650 is a nice "in-between" bike. Good for a lot of things and cheap to buy, own and maintain. Highly recommended.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #8930
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Oddometer: 472
+1

No fat chicks, fender will scrape.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #8931
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,493
Okay I tried to install the SW-Motech toprack today and the holes in the rack do not line up side to side with the holes in the passenger grab handles. I loosened up the grab handles to see if there was enough slop to pull them out some but that didn't help. Has anyone experienced this?
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #8932
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Okay I tried to install the SW-Motech toprack today and the holes in the rack do not line up side to side with the holes in the passenger grab handles. I loosened up the grab handles to see if there was enough slop to pull them out some but that didn't help. Has anyone experienced this?
This must be different from the SW-Motech rack that I have; mine mounts directly above the plastic tail piece and is held on by vertical bolts and spacers.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:35 AM   #8933
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,690
Quote:
This must be different from the SW-Motech rack that I have; mine mounts directly above the plastic tail piece and is held on by vertical bolts and spacers.
+1 Now, attaching the Givi rack was a total and utter PIA but the SW Motech rack fit just fine.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #8934
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,376
With all this uncertainty with ABS I'm glad I saved my £600 so that when the tarmac road I'm on changes to....

today in Greece, I don't have to worry or stop to turn anything off.
Also in Greece today....

blacktiger screwed with this post 10-09-2011 at 08:16 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:39 AM   #8935
mattsl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
I bought my R100GS from Engle's (BMW & Triumph dealer) in '91. They were good folks back then. I don't live in the KC area now and haven't been in the shop for a few years so I can't really vouch for them now, but over the years they've been good about getting parts to me in the mail in a timely fashion.

I test rode a Tiger 800 street (and a Bonneville and a Scrambler) at the dealer in Eldorado Springs, MO. I haven't bought anything from them yet, but they're pretty nice folks if you don't mind the drive.
I purchased my XC at Eldorado Springs and they are great people to work with. I would
Recommend at least speaking with them if you are in the MO/KS area.
mattsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #8936
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,155
Someone please provide me a link to the Triumph site where I can price and purchase replacement parts. Like heated grips. For some reason, I know I seent the link but after searching for more than an hour, I am giving up looking. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #8937
slobinski
Inept adventurer

Oddometer: 380
You could use worldoftriumph.com (appears to be a UK site) to look up part numbers, then pester your dealer...
slobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #8938
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
Someone please provide me a link to the Triumph site where I can price and purchase replacement parts. Like heated grips. For some reason, I know I seent the link but after searching for more than an hour, I am giving up looking. Thanks in advance.
madss.com has pretty good prices on Triumph accessories. I've ordered from them with success; they discount and also ship free for orders ovre $40.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #8939
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,155
Quote:
madss.com has pretty good prices on Triumph accessories. I've ordered from them with success; they discount and also ship free for orders ovre $40.
Thanks Yossarian!
Old 10-10-2011, 04:05 AM   #8940
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by slobinski View Post
You could use worldoftriumph.com (appears to be a UK site) to look up part numbers, then pester your dealer...
Worldoftriumph use their own numbers, not triumphs.

www.triumph.co.uk
choose your country then launch

create my triumph.

All accessories listed, with pricing.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote