User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2010, 07:40 PM   #886
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 791
Front Brake Lines

I believe what you are seeing on the XC is a high crossover brake line so when we replace the low front fender we won't have to mess with the brake line. Unlike on the 950 Adventure.

The 675 motor is a gem. Stroking it will only help for this application. Wet sump motor makes maintenance easier. People complain about the look of the sump, give me a break, an oil tank with a sight gauge is no thing of beauty.

I want one!
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #887
WormShanks
b00b

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird
I believe what you are seeing on the XC is a high crossover brake line so when we replace the low front fender we won't have to mess with the brake line. Unlike on the 950 Adventure.
But the crossover isn't high, it hugs the fender. It looks like the line comes down on the left side, big loop to the right caliper and then tight loop to the left caliper. This back and forth thing is kind of odd but maybe the reason for it will be obvious once we see the bike in person.

Quote:
I want one!
Me too

Ridden: AF AM AW AU AT AZ BS BH BD BB BY BW BV BR IO BN BG BF BI KH CM CA CZ DK SV GQ ER EE ET FK GI GR GP VA HN HK HU IS IN ID IR IQ KI KP KG LA LV LB LU NR NP NL AN NC NZ NI NE NO OM PK PR QA RE RO RU RW LC VC WS SM ST TM TC TV UG UA AE GB US UY UZ VU YE
WormShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:43 PM   #888
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T.
Nice bike!

Still not a fan of the triple motor. Why can't Suzuki make a kick ass updated Vstrom 800 just like the new Tiger?
Why don't you like the triple motor? What experience have you had not to like it?
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #889
RockyMtnScotsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Why can't Suzuki make a kick ass updated Vstrom 800 just like the new Tiger?

With Suzuki holding back from shipping new Stroms here as they have in recent years, don't hold your breath.
RockyMtnScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:55 PM   #890
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Nice bike!

Still not a fan of the triple motor. Why can't Suzuki make a kick ass updated Vstrom 800 just like the new Tiger?
have you ridden one?
ridden this one?
Old 10-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #891
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 718
Yeah. I don't get how anybody doesn't like this engine. I guess if you don't, you don't.

For me, It was decided way before any of these rumors started. If Triumph ever decided to build a more dirt oriented Tiger with the same engine that's in my Street Triple, I said to my self, I'll dump the GS in a heart beat!

That engine is the most emotional, visceral and engaging engine I have ever experienced.

So, here I am, GS-less waiting for Santa to stop by my dealer. Deposit already laid down sight unseen...all because of that engine!
Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #892
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali

Dont get me wrong, I am not bashing the bike. I dont know enough about it yet to have a solid opinion. One thing is for sure they made no effort to set themselves apart from BMW in the style department. I dont know what I was hoping for but, this aint it...as far as looks go.
The looks are definitely uninspired and fall a bit short of the F800GS. The gauges on the Triumph seem much nicer though. But then I find the gauges of the F8GS to be so bad as to be offensive.

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #893
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughtwg
The looks are definitely uninspired and fall a bit short of the F800GS. The gauges on the Triumph seem much nicer though. But then I find the gauges of the F8GS to be so bad as to be offensive.
That's how taste is just what it is, a very individual and very biased perception of things:

I do like the needle dials for the rpm and speed in the F800GS. With the corner of the eye you know where you are. And it is nice to see them moving. I wish all bikes had gauges like that (even if they had to be digital). The worst looking digital gauge is the one on the Multistrada 1200, the worst analog is that thing on the v-strom. My opinion, of course. The Tiger 800 appears to be in the middle somewhere, for me. Not a deal breaker, not something I wished for.

About the looks, the Tiger 800 looks good and is growing on me. It could improve a lot if its frame is painted in black. My opinion. But then it would look even closer to the 800GS. And some people would have problems with that - not even Freud explains the "hate" some people experience towards a machine or a brand. What have it done to you?

Then again, some people own a v-strom. Which really proves beyond doubt that taste really is something strange, individual, and irrational.

This new Tiger looks awesome overall. If it will be an off-road performer, well, it will remain to be seen. Our speculation will go as far as nowhere. Meanwhile let's hope for it to be a great addition to the gradient of options and choices we have in the so-called adventure market.

Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:34 PM   #894
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by bug67

That engine is the most emotional, visceral and engaging engine I have ever experienced.

The T595 955cc is "the" motor for me, but the 675 is a hella fun and VERY eager to please as well.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:19 PM   #895
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked'em
have you ridden one?
ridden this one?
Of course not, ya silly goose.

With the right gearing, I hope I can climb a tree with this thing...

Thanks
Montesa Stu
Old 10-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #896
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu
With the right gearing, I hope I can climb a tree with this thing...

Thanks
Montesa Stu
+1

Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #897
Lenz1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
............Wet sump motor makes maintenance easier. People complain about the look of the sump, give me a break, an oil tank with a sight gauge is no thing of beauty.
I don't think any of these points have grasped the significance of a dry sump with remote oil tank. Not only does it allow a lower placement of the entire engine and transmission, it also allows lower placement of structure above the engine. The aesthetics of a wet sump and minor + / - of maintenance is irrelevant.
Lenz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:03 AM   #898
fivehitsweak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I understand peoples worries about the CofG but I think it is unfair to judge actual mechanical aspects of the bike based on the pictures we have seen. I am all for Judging it aesthetically but I would say that Triumphs reputation for making sweet handling bikes speaks for its self, so as far as handling goes I am quite prepared to pass a verdict of innocent until proven guilty!

I guess it is also important to remember that this isn't a "dirt bike" It is an adventure bike, therefore there will always be a trade off between it's off-road and on-road usability. I applaud Triumph for at least trying to appeal to both road focused and off-road focused riders by simultaneously releasing 2 variations of the same modal. I think It would be a huge gamble for any company to release a full on hardcore off-road adventure machine right now. With the economic climate being how it is I think we are very lucky that there are manufacturers who are still willing to develop and release from the ground up new modals at all, but these manufacturers have to invest their money in an area of the market which provides them with a good chance of profitable return. Unfortunately the market for hardcore off-road adventure machines is still very small, where as the dual sport market seems to be growing rapidly at the moment, perhaps because people like my self cannot justify the cost of having 2 bikes anymore, therefore crossovers offer us the most versatility for our money. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a brace of full on off-road no concession adventure bikes come out, I am all for market diversity, I just tend to think that unfortunately the current economic climate is narrowing manufacturers money making options.
fivehitsweak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:49 AM   #899
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehitsweak
With the economic climate being how it is I think we are very lucky that there are manufacturers who are still willing to develop and release from the ground up new modals at all, but these manufacturers have to invest their money in an area of the market which provides them with a good chance of profitable return. Unfortunately the market for hardcore off-road adventure machines is still very small, where as the dual sport market seems to be growing rapidly at the moment, perhaps because people like my self cannot justify the cost of having 2 bikes anymore, therefore crossovers offer us the most versatility for our money.
That's a very valid point when you consider non-USA customers. I've said it before, it's rare for a Yurpeen to have a 'stable' of bikes, we usually need them to fulfil a number of roles. The GS series are huge in the UK and Germany, perhaps because they are fast(enough), practical, fun, and can cope with our climate.

The Tiger 800 could be all those things, plus it's faster and lighter than the GS and Stroms.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:07 AM   #900
jeffs900s
Prophet of Doom

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
Nice bike!

You've clearly never spent much time on a Triumph triple.

jeffs900s is offline   Reply With Quote