Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #9136
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post
Anyone install the Triumph center stand? The directions say step one put on a paddock stand.
Use a tow strap & a tree.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #9137
diazepine117
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtphyre View Post
Thanks for the tip. I remember reading that a couple months ago about the Triumph bags.
Hello kurtphyre:

Here are some photos of the Triumph bags I took on the demo bike I rode today. Basically I would avoid them. They are attached by two hook-clamps on the top - black clamping onto silver coloured mount, and seem to just rest on the bottom peg. Not very strong in my opinion. I also worry that they might just fall off if bounced about. And, when they are off the bike you lose the frame protection provided by aftermarket pannier mounts.
Attached Images

diazepine117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #9138
diazepine117
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Only able to post one photo at a time for some reason.... This one shows the left hand side pannier from the front, the previous one was the view from the rear. Here you see the bottom of the pannier has this odd fitment that provides neither a snug fit nor any strength. I would say that the rear peg thing seems adjustable so you can have a snug fit eventually. I suppose the good thing about this is you can lift the pannier straight off the bike with one turn of the key. The key positions are like this - locked, open, pannier off (whilst closed). Convenient, for touring, but not if you've only realised it fell off a hundred miles ago. I've also seen some BMW panniers that are fitted like this so it's not only Triumph!

Edit: on the F800GS vs Tiger thread someone's posted a video, at 5:00 the chap illustrates my point perfectly.
Attached Images

diazepine117 screwed with this post 10-22-2011 at 03:16 PM Reason: addition
diazepine117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:54 PM   #9139
kurtphyre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Thanks for all the great help about side cases and top cases guys! I found a local dealer here in Germany that's ordering a set of black anodized and raw aluminum Touratech cases for me. That way I can compare them in person and decide if the black anodized are worth the extra money. A bonus is that these cases will work on other touring bikes in case I ever decide to sell the Tiger 800.

I also found out the Hepco & Becker manufacturing headquarters are about 30 minutes away from where I live! They were closed today but hopefully I can swing by early next week and check their cases out for the Tiger 800. That way I can directly compare the 2 brands.

BTW, will a XL Shoei helmet fit in a 45L sidecase? How about a 35L top case? I hoping my helmet will fit in both of these.

Also, I didn't see on Touratech's website that they sell a powerlet adapter. Hopefully they have them in stock at the store.
kurtphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #9140
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,323
Spent the day riding gravel and mud at the The Brush Creek Wilderness Area in Ohio. Good times.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #9141
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
Spent the day riding gravel and mud at the The Brush Creek Wilderness Area in Ohio. Good times.

Is that an old VFR with knobs on the left? Looks interesting. How does it perform in the dirt?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #9142
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Yes it is, belongs to inmate FatherX. He goes wherever we go all the time.

Still Riff Raff....

Old 10-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #9143
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy68 View Post
Well - my fed-up's hurting from the screen.... So I've been looking around for a loooooooong time.
Strange this is - my dealer fitted the new Speed Triple Flyscreen onto the Tigger 800!

I'm not 100% on it's looks - but when I took it for a test ride - I WAS SOLD!
A simple constant flow of air in my face. No buffering - No head shake - No plastic sheet shaking on top....
Pure simple wind - smooooooooth wind!

I've also ordered the Speed Triple additional tinted screen that fits on top of the fly screen - that will give it a little more lift:

Will report back once it's fitted.

Oh - and btw - if you have to ask about the price - you can't afford it! Believe me - it's bludy expensive all together.
I like it, I agree about the wind in your face thing. Never thought I would own a bike with Windshield.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #9144
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Yes it is, belongs to inmate FatherX. He goes wherever we go all the time.
Where is the new skid plate on your bike? Fill me in on the wind screen and the GPS mount you have there. One more thing, what kind of box is that on the rear rack and how do you have it mounted?
Old 10-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #9145
bigtallguy
Sasquatch Jr.

Oddometer: 254
Rasthomas, how many bar risers is that you have, and did you have to change cables/lines?
Old 10-23-2011, 05:29 AM   #9146
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

At 6'2" I used 2 sets of 20mm Twisted Throttle risers. No cable changes. Only way I could get comfortable.

Still Riff Raff....

Old 10-23-2011, 08:25 AM   #9147
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
At 6'2" I used 2 sets of 20mm Twisted Throttle risers. No cable changes. Only way I could get comfortable.
I was standing up yesterday with my 2 in Rox Risers and I'm still not comfortable. I'm thinking of getting those larger lowered foot pegs from Twisted Throttle. Also my Triumph Adventure tank bags is kind of in the way.

Xcountry-Rider screwed with this post 10-23-2011 at 11:21 AM
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #9148
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Brit newspaper so take it with a pinch of salt but they like it

Has anybody else had issues with the on-board computer ? I can't say I use it much to give me the MPG - can't say I've ever really thought about MPG to be honest. I know I can get 200 miles out of a tank so I just figure that's my range.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #9149
motosickle2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post
I was standing up yesterday with my 2 in Rox Risers and I'm still not comfortable. I'm thinking of getting those larger lowered foot pegs from Twisted Throttle. Also my Triumph Adventure tank bags is kind of in the way.
You mean the motech footpegs. I have these on my Tiger:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=9010

I really like the extra legroom it gives you. I have my seat in the high position and I did a 400 mile day ride without feeling the need to stretch my legs. I put the pegs in the lower of the two positiions and did not use the supplied rubber cushions. (Why would you need them unless you are riding barefoot?) I have not had any problems with grounding the pegs on my XC.

The only problem I had was that I ran out of adjustment on my brake pedal and it is just a tad too high with the new pegs. The shift lever had plenty of adjustment.

It is also much easier to stand on the pegs. I am 5'11" and have no problem with standing on the pegs. I have the ROX risers also.
motosickle2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #9150
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by motosickle2000 View Post
You mean the motech footpegs. I have these on my Tiger:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=9010

I really like the extra legroom it gives you. I have my seat in the high position and I did a 400 mile day ride without feeling the need to stretch my legs. I put the pegs in the lower of the two positiions and did not use the supplied rubber cushions. (Why would you need them unless you are riding barefoot?) I have not had any problems with grounding the pegs on my XC.

The only problem I had was that I ran out of adjustment on my brake pedal and it is just a tad too high with the new pegs. The shift lever had plenty of adjustment.

It is also much easier to stand on the pegs. I am 5'11" and have no problem with standing on the pegs. I have the ROX risers also.
So when you install the lower foot pegs you of course need to adjust down the clutch and rear brake levers. Is that difficult?
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote