Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #9196
Hogslayer
motomaniac

Oddometer: 140
Thanks blacktiger & jphish for your comments on the 800 and 955i tigers. I guess I need to take a test ride someday to see if I like it or not and if it will work for me.
Hogslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #9197
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
I weighed my 800 ABS roadie the other day out of curiosity. It came in at 490 lbs. 250 pounds on the rear wheel and 240 pounds at the front wheel. This was fully fueled and bone stock, no accessories added (yet).
Using a bathroom scale or any scale where front the rear wheels are weighed separately are not all that accurate. The Ride On scale shown above is most likely dead on. Notice the brand! Toledo.

There is a hospital near my house with a ride up scale at the loading ramp. They weigh laundry hampers. Once I ride up the ramp ... I can push the bike right on to the scale. Very accurate ... and never matches my bathroom scale figures ... which are always LIGHTER than the real industrial scale results.

Don't ask me to explain this ... I have no idea why bathroom scales don't work.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #9198
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I have no idea why bathroom scales don't work.
If you use a single scale and don't level the bike, the readings will be off.

Using bathroom scales, it's best to use two scales, leveled, one under each tire.

Back in my SCCA racing days we used a four-set of (racing, not bathroom) scales to help to figure out where weight needed to be in the car when it was fueled and had the driver on board. They always had to be at the same height for it to be a valid exercise.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #9199
FatherX
demisocial

Oddometer: 4,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Is that an old VFR with knobs on the left? Looks interesting. How does it perform in the dirt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
Yes it is, belongs to inmate FatherX. He goes wherever we go all the time.

Hey! Someone is using my name in vain

It's a 1984 VF500f with a Shinko 244 front and a Dunlop 850A rear (or Kenda 761 for dinner dates).

How does it handle on dirt?

Pretty darn good for a 20something sport bike. .

OK

Back to your triple fluted, beastly farklemania .

I'm NOT jealous or anything.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #9200
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
If you use a single scale and don't level the bike, the readings will be off.

Using bathroom scales, it's best to use two scales, leveled, one under each tire.

Back in my SCCA racing days we used a four-set of (racing, not bathroom) scales to help to figure out where weight needed to be in the car when it was fueled and had the driver on board. They always had to be at the same height for it to be a valid exercise.

I did use a bathroom scale but I made sure each wheel was at the same elevation by shoring it up with a 2x4 and some plywood. The scale is fairly accurate, although not quite up to the spec of a Toledo. I weigh myself at a clinic on a slide scale, then go home and calibrate the bathroom scale to match. It should be pretty good. With a claimed curb weight of 462 lbs for the 800 Roadie I was a little disappointed to see a total of 490 lbs. Maybe they put helium in the tires.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #9201
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,852
Quote:
Not necessarily; looks like either a 19" or maybe even a 21" front wheel. This immediately puts it in competition with the Yam 1200 Tenere, KTM 990 and BMW R12GS. Cruiser Class ADV/Touring!

So far no one has mentioned a very major design element on this new bike:

Single Sided Swingarm!!! Triumph only use it on the Speed Triple. I wonder how it will hold up off road?

AND

Shaft Drive??
I notice not one photo angle showing the left side of the bike. Is this thing Shaft Drive? God, I hope not. That right there would add about 30 lbs. to the weight.

Cast wheels can be very tough, depending how they are built. My DL1000 Vstrom wheels were truly amazing ... as tough as any dirt bike wheels I've ever seen. Baja tested. Not like the old days. Heavy as Hell but strong.

If Triumph manage to keep the weight down (like they did with the 1050), then the big Tiger could be a player.

Obviously ... won't be as nimble or capable off road as the Tiger 800XC, but should compete well in the "Freighter Class" of ADV bikes.
Me? I'll take the 800 ... but not until Triumph knock off another 20 lbs. or so. It's too heavy for an 800 IMHO.

Once you've loaded it up with bash guards, racks, luggage and gear ... you end up riding an over weight Pig that becomes a liability off road and not easy to handle. I've been all through this with BMW GS's and my V-Stroms. I'll stick with a Thumper for time being.
Sprint ST's and some models of the Sprint RS (1 year - the last I believe) as well as most model year Daytona 955i's use/had SSSA so they do have a fair bit of experience with them.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #9202
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Sprint ST's and some models of the Sprint RS (1 year - the last I believe) as well as most model year Daytona 955i's use/had SSSA so they do have a fair bit of experience with them.
Your correct on the history ... and I'm aware of it. I meant Current production. I probably did not make that clear.

It will be interesting to hear Triumph's sales pitch on this new Tiger. Remember how Triumph would always Poo Poo any mention of taking earlier Tigers off road ... insisting they were NOT designed in any way to stand off road rigors. So how will they spin the 1200? Maybe like BMW ... using Dakar Pro racers and really long lenses at magic hour ... ripping it up in some impossible terrain?

Funny ... I took both my '95 Steamer and '99 Girlie mildly off road. A bit scary, but not so bad. The Steamer was the better of the two. My 1050 is dreadful and scares the shit out of me. (I see only BIG $$$$ signs and invoices for body parts and radiators and such )

I've never been comfy on BIG heavy bikes off road. Except my Vstrom ... which would not crash. We just bonded.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #9203
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Your correct on the history ... and I'm aware of it. I meant Current production. I probably did not make that clear.

It will be interesting to hear Triumph's sales pitch on this new Tiger. Remember how Triumph would always Poo Poo any mention of taking earlier Tigers off road ... insisting they were NOT designed in any way to stand off road rigors. So how will they spin the 1200? Maybe like BMW ... using Dakar Pro racers and really long lenses at magic hour ... ripping it up in some impossible terrain?

Funny ... I took both my '95 Steamer and '99 Girlie mildly off road. A bit scary, but not so bad. The Steamer was the better of the two. My 1050 is dreadful and scares the shit out of me. (I see only BIG $$$$ signs and invoices for body parts and radiators and such )

I've never been comfy on BIG heavy bikes off road. Except my Vstrom ... which would not crash. We just bonded.
You need to get off the fense and buy yourself a Tiger 800XC and get the same smile on your face we all have
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:27 AM   #9204
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post
You need to get off the fense and buy yourself a Tiger 800XC and get the same smile on your face we all have
Yeah! Come on Mr Grifter, get on it.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:53 AM   #9205
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
Hogslayer - One point of consideration: A late model, well equipped Girlie (05-06) can be had for around $5K. With its 19" front wheel, can accomodate many dual sport tires, including Anakee's & TKCs. (the Roadies have 17" front) Thus equiped, it is a reasonably capable dirt road bike & fine adventure touring machine. I've taken my 06' on many miles of dirt roads with narry a hiccup... riders skills notwithstanding. The Girlie is one of the most under rated bikes out there. Some opine that it's dated styling is, well,... ugly. I find it iconic, but pleasing to look at - actually better looking than my 800, in a post industrial sort of way. Just something to consider, if you want to save about $10K over a new 800 & still have a great motorcycle. Would be happy to send iphone photos of both bikes if you wish, just let me know @ johnpdaly@comcast.net
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #9206
Romulux
Next exit

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
Hogslayer - One point of consideration: A late model, well equipped Girlie (05-06) can be had for around $5K. With its 19" front wheel, can accomodate many dual sport tires, including Anakee's & TKCs. (the Roadies have 17" front)
What's a Girlie and what's a Roadie? The 800 roads have 19" fronts.
Romulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #9207
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulux View Post

Features

The Tiger is one of the ultimate do-it-all motorcycles that can tour continents two-up, commute effortlessly or scythe a set of corners.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #9208
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulux View Post
Girlie = Tiger 955i
Roadie = Tiger 1050

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #9209
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Steamer = 95 (?)-98 (US) Tiger
Girlie = Tiger 955i (99-06)
Roadie = Tiger 1050 (07+)

--mark
There you go.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #9210
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
Yeah - "Steamers" 885's, 92 - 98. "Girlies" 955 FI, (tho 99 models were 885's & carbed) 99 - 06. "Roadies 1050's, 07 - current. But doubt this tiger will see another year with the 800 & 1200's out. Just an uneducated / fact free guess. For additional info - see 'tigertriple.com' It's a dedicated tigger site. PS: 800's are refered to as"Beakers" on that site - just fyi
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote