Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2011, 08:13 AM   #9331
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Sorry, but I disagree. The XC does not feel top heavy. Have you ridden a bike that feels top heavy?
Top heavy is a relative term, my Guzzi and Scrambler do have a much lower center of gravity. Due to the tall suspention of all DS bikes the center of gravity is higher then cruisers and sport bikes and maybe tourers.

Wearing lead boots will lower the center of gravity, a lead helmet will raise the center of gravity,

Mr. fbj913...... R ya going to measure that Givi screen for me, P L E A S E??

Regards, Paul
Old 11-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #9332
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flienlow View Post
Sorry if this is 520 (didn’t look at all 600 pages) but I have been trying to find some feedback on the tiger 800. From all the videos that I have watched, the bike seems to get favorable reviews. I have a few questions for those of you that have had your bike a while.
1.How is this bike on power? Does it have enough under the hood, or do you long for more?
2.For XC owners, how does this bike handle on twisty paved roads with the 21” front wheel?- Is it fun to ride?
3.How is the bike on extended Slab rides (say a 400 mile day?)- Comfy?
4.How does it handle loaded down with all your stuff on it?
I ask this because I am really torn on which bike to buy. Unlike some of you folks that own a bike for every day of the week, the final decree came down from the War department and it’s 1 bike….1 bike only. After many years of riding, I have learned there is no such thing as a perfect bike. I am looking for a reasonably priced bike that is entertaining on the ride to work as well as up a mountain trail.
In a past life I owned 2-KTM 950’s. Let’s just say they are not for me.
I also had a Versys. I loved the low cost do-all-ness of it however, it was just too under powered for me and not that refined (buzzy.) It is what it is - a great low cost do all.
My thought process from there:
MTS/GS/A- Too expensive for me.
990adv- as stated before I just don’t think it’s right for me.
990SMT- This one has me thinking. But I find it VERY stark for how expensive it is. It needs a lot of farkels, has poor fuel economy, and small tank. Unimproved roads…probably no.
S10- Nah...It’s a tank
VStrom/1050- would only buy used, and if I can’t find something entertaining by riding season.
1200 explorer- Still waiting, very interesting bike, but I would think only as adv-tour.
Finally, this leads me to the XC 800.
-More power than a Versys.
-by no means in expensive, but a lower cost than the liter+ bikes
-plenty of farkles and doo-dads for it.
-rough off road/light single trail capable.
-Fun on road??
***I know nothing about Triumph maintenance.
***not aware of any 800 “issues” that need to be considered.

Am I on the right track with my thought process?
I agree with the first two replies on your post except the fuel mileage thing. This bike can achieve 60+UKmpg if you short shift and use a light throttle hand. Some will say "where's the fun in that" and to an extent they're right but if you're in no hurry it is achievable.
Have a read of my recent RR http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...6#post17036006 on which I came to the conclusion that the 800XC is THE best all round bike on the planet at the moment. It's just so usable and versatile.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #9333
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I agree with the first two replies on your post except the fuel mileage thing. This bike can achieve 60+UKmpg if you short shift and use a light throttle hand. Some will say "where's the fun in that" and to an extent they're right but if you're in no hurry it is achievable.
Have a read of my recent RR http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...6#post17036006 on which I came to the conclusion that the 800XC is THE best all round bike on the planet at the moment. It's just so usable and versatile.

It can pretty much do it all (in moderation in some areas in all honesty) from high-speed twisties to dirt.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #9334
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
Hi guys, I've been getting a few emails for some spy pics of the new rack we've been testing this summer.

Here you go. Triumph 800 tail rack-

First thing I see, as a user of Givi cases, is the your rack plate cannot be fitted with their latches. Probably applies to other makes of cases too.
Other than that it looks strong with plenty of slots to attach straps etc.
My home made plate with the Givi bits attached....
Old 11-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #9335
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post

Mr. fbj913...... R ya going to measure that Givi screen for me, P L E A S E??

Regards, Paul
Sorry dude totally forgot.

Im not sure exactly where your talking about. Does this help?

fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:20 AM   #9336
flienlow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulux View Post
No question there is a lot more power available at highway speeds.

But as far as the Tiger being noticeably more powerful...

0-60mph:

3.3s to 4.0s Wee-Strom
~4s T800
4.8s Versys

Quarter mile:

12.5s Wee
12.19s T800
13s Versys

Top speed:

120mph Wee
130mph T800
117mph Versys

All these times are variable based on rider and are from different sources, but the T800 is not a significantly faster machine. The acceleration available at highway speeds is significantly better and a huge win for the Tiger, but it's not a speed machine.
Ugh, I was really hoping for a bit more performance out of an 800. I dont need a super bike, I just dont like to ask her twice when I go for a pass.
flienlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #9337
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,449
Quote:

Ugh, I was really hoping for a bit more performance out of an 800. I dont need a super bike, I just dont like to ask her twice when I go for a pass.
You can look at numbers all day, but the best gauge is to go ride one and see for yourself if it's going to meet your needs.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:58 AM   #9338
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,951
Quote:
First thing I see, as a user of Givi cases, is the your rack plate cannot be fitted with their latches. Probably applies to other makes of cases too.
Other than that it looks strong with plenty of slots to attach straps etc.
My home made plate with the Givi bits attached....
Thank you for the input.

If you would post up or email me the dimensions for the bolt pattern of your GIVI system, I would be willing to overlay it on my rack and see if you are correct or not. If it works, I'd be willing to add it to this rack for those that do use and like the system.

Personally, I've not had great success w/ the GIVI products as a Dual Sport product. I am more of a Soft luggage type of rider when it comes to top luggage. They are fine for the street but they don't offer me a very long life in my DS travels, so I've not had any of there products in my shop for some time now. I have had others mounts GIVI products on the 950/990 Racks w/o issue, but I've not offered it pre-drilled.

This rack is about 14" x 12" in size and .25" thick as a reference.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #9339
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
Thank you for the input.

If you would post up or email me the dimensions for the bolt pattern of your GIVI system, I would be willing to overlay it on my rack and see if you are correct or not. If it works, I'd be willing to add it to this rack for those that do use and like the system.

Personally, I've not had great success w/ the GIVI products as a Dual Sport product. I am more of a Soft luggage type of rider when it comes to top luggage. They are fine for the street but they don't offer me a very long life in my DS travels, so I've not had any of there products in my shop for some time now. I have had others mounts GIVI products on the 950/990 Racks w/o issue, but I've not offered it pre-drilled.

This rack is about 14" x 12" in size and .25" thick as a reference.
I wasn't really thinking of hard DS use. I use the cases for touring. As do a lot of people in Europe. Givi is one of the most popular makes over here.
Those dimensions are not to hand but I'll see if I can dig them out sometime soon and PM them to you.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #9340
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:

Oh for christ's sake... Numbers are not very meaningful, especially when there are no figures for roll-on acceleration. Believe me, the Tiger has a whole lot more get-up-and-go from ~60mph than the Wee-Strom does.

Like Yossarian says, go ride one and see for yourself instead of relying on numbers.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #9341
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Oh for christ's sake... Numbers are not very meaningful, especially when there are no figures for roll-on acceleration. Believe me, the Tiger has a whole lot more get-up-and-go from ~60mph than the Wee-Strom does.

Like Yossarian says, go ride one and see for yourself instead of relying on numbers.

--mark
+1

This is why every single Bike 1 v Bike 2 thread on ADV is meaningless. Go ride it, if you like it buy it and if not, go buy something else. There is no one single perfect bike that does everything - it simply doesn't exist. There are compromises for every bike but a bike, to me, is about passion and because of that, numbers alone mean nothing to me.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #9342
Romulux
Next exit

Oddometer: 156
Quote:

The numbers I posted don't do the bike justice. There is PLENTY of power available at highway speed. Just ride one and see for yourself.
Romulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #9343
Birdy68
Scared, but wants to

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
+1

This is why every single Bike 1 v Bike 2 thread on ADV is meaningless. Go ride it, if you like it buy it and if not, go buy something else. There is no one single perfect bike that does everything - it simply doesn't exist. There are compromises for every bike but a bike, to me, is about passion and because of that, numbers alone mean nothing to me.
+1

Handed Tigger in to have Flyscreen fitted - got the new VStrom on lone!
Two TOTALLY different engines!

Tigger: Sharp and 'Get up & Go'
Wee: Like 1 week old Cola - bubbleless and flat!

That's what I found when riding them back to back! TODAY!
Birdy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #9344
cjracer
AWD please!!

Quote:
I wasn't really thinking of hard DS use. I use the cases for touring. As do a lot of people in Europe. Givi is one of the most popular makes over here.
Those dimensions are not to hand but I'll see if I can dig them out sometime soon and PM them to you.
That would be great as I do want to make sure it can be as useful as possible if I'm spending the time.

thanks again,
cj
Old 11-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #9345
cjracer
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Nice rack!

(I love saying that. )

I particularly like the adjustable fore/aft slots.

Thanks...

We found this useful for 2-up riding. As you can adjust a tailbag or box to offer a back rest in a few locations depending on where the passenger feels comfortable.

This is also great for solo riding on and off-road, to keep the weight more to the center and over the rear wheel instead of hanging behind it.